Wossname Wossname -- November 2014 -- Main issue

News and reviews about the works of Sir Terry Pratchett wossname at pearwood.info
Sun Nov 23 20:27:56 EST 2014

Wossname
November 2014 (Volume 17, Issue 11, Post 1)

WOSSNAME is a free publication offering news, reviews, and all the other
stuff-that-fits pertaining to the works and activities of Sir Terry
Pratchett. Originally founded by the late, great Joe Schaumburger for
members of the worldwide Klatchian Foreign Legion and its affiliates,
including the North American Discworld Society and other continental
groups, Wossname is now for Discworld and Pratchett fans everywhere in
Roundworld.

Editor in Chief: Annie Mac
News Editor: Vera P
Newshounds: Mogg, Sir J of Croydon Below, the Shadow, Wolfiekins
Staff Writers: Asti, Pitt the Elder, Evil Steven Dread, Mrs Wynn-Jones
Staff Technomancers: Jason Parlevliet, Archchancellor Neil, DJ Helpful
Book Reviews: Annie Mac, Drusilla D'Afanguin, Your Name Here
Puzzle Editor: Tiff (still out there somewhere)
Emergency Staff: Steven D'Aprano, Jason Parlevliet
World Membership Director: Steven D'Aprano (in his copious spare time)

01) QUOTES OF THE MONTH
02) EDITOR'S LETTER
03) ODDS AND SODS
04) REVIEWS: RAISING STEAM; A SLIP OF THE KEYBOARD
05) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS
06) DISCWORLD MEETING GROUPS NEWS
07) DISCWORLD ARTS AND CRAFTS NEWS
08) IMAGES OF THE MONTH
09) CLOSE

01) QUOTE OF THE MONTH

"Come on, you're supposed to be a hard-nosed journalist! Pick up your
pen and ask me about my sex life!"
– Pterry, being interviewed for the Ashbourne News Telegraph by
tongue-tied fan Natalie Wakefield

"We can determine almost every facet of our life, why can't we choose
our death?"
– Travis Wright, Managing Editor of The Stylus

"It's a story about the Antichrist. There's nothing more festive than
that!'"
– actor Colin "Newt Pulsifer" Morgan enthuses about the seasonality of
the Good Omens BBC radio play

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

02) LETTER FROM YOUR EDITOR

So how was it for you, darlings? The new Wossname mailing list so far,
that is. I can report that from this end things are going much, much
more smoothly than ever during my editorship in the Yahoogroups era. We
have had a few problems with new issues being falsely flagged as spam by
some ISPs (most notably Yahoo – somehow, not surprising) but for the
most part readers are reporting good deliveries of entirely intact,
un-truncated Wossname issues. Many thanks to all of you for your
patience, and especially to the indispensable Steven D'Aprano for doing
the admin while I was down with yet another long-running illness (also
not surprising).

This is the time of year when everyone with actual funds or a plastic
imitation of same is madly shopping for holiday goodies, and at the
moment, both the Discworld Emporium and PJSM Prints are absolutely on
fire with excellent Discworld-themed merchandise – see item 7.

Last week I went with some friends to see "Pride", possibly the best
"Brit feelgood film" since "The Full Monty". All through the film I kept
wondering why George MacKay, the actor playing the lead/viewpoint
character, looked so familiar. Eventually the penny dropped: he played
Johnny Maxwell in the BBC miniseries of Johnny and the Bomb eight years
ago! I heartily recommend both productions, the current film and the
older miniseries (which in my opinion was an excellent adaptation, true
to the spirit of the book even though they changed a few things).

And now, on with the show!

– Annie Mac, Editor

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

03) ODDS AND SODS

A very mixed bag...

3.1 COLIN MORGAN INTERVIEWED ABOUT BEING NEWT PULSIFER

 From the Radio Times:

"Plenty of Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett fans are excited about the
upcoming radio adaptation of the authors' joint novel Good Omens – but
it turns out one of them is actually in the cast. 'I've always been a
fan of Terry Pratchett, I think he's great,' Colin Morgan (who plays
Newt in the fantasy comedy) told RadioTimes.com. 'So when Good Omens
came along it was a bit of a no-brainer for me. I've always felt this
about Terry's books and Neil's books – they're an absolute pleasure to
read personally, but I think they're just an honour and a privilege to
get the chance to perform professionally.'

"Also starring Mark Heap, Peter Serafinowicz, Sherlock's Louise Brealey
and Fresh Meat's Charlotte Ritchie, Good Omens follows the attempts of
an angel and a demon to save the world from the antichrist – but all is
not as it seems. It was written by Gaiman and Pratchett in 1990, and
became a bestseller that remains popular to this day – and while the
authors haven't had too big a role in the radio adaptation (Gaiman has
pitched in with the scripts), they will be popping up in cameos..."

http://bit.ly/13p4VAE

3.2 THE STORY MUSEUM'S SEASONAL GOODIES

"If you're searching for that perfect Christmas present, we may have
just the thing: 60 copies of our 26 Characters exhibition book have been
signed by every single author involved, including Philip Pullman, Neil
Gaiman, Julia Donaldson and Terry Pratchett. These are on sale for £260,
and all proceeds go to supporting The Story Museum's work."

The Story Museum's "26 Characters" exhibition, which includes Sir
Pterry's "Just William" character contribution, reopens this weekend.
The exhibition is recommended for age 4+.

  When: from 22nd November
  Venue: The Story Museum, Rochester House, 42 Pembroke Street, Oxford
OX1 1BP
  Times: Fridays 10.00–17.00; Saturdays 10.00–17.00; Sundays
11.00–16.00. Last entry 30 minutes before closing.
  Tickets: Full price: £7.50. Concessions: £5 (Under-18's, full-time
students, job-seekers, over-60s). Family ticket (for a group of 4,
including at least 1 child): £20. Children under one year, and
companions of disabled visitors: Free
  To book tickets, go to
http://www.oxfordplayhouse.com/ticketsoxford/#venue=530 or ring the
ticket hotline at 01865 305305

Also, there is an excellent explanatory brochure in .pdf form about the
exhibition and venue, downloadable for free:
http://bit.ly/1t5PT8N

And here be the Story Museum's dedicated Pterry page, complete with a
link to an audio Q&A:
http://bit.ly/1quuISz

For more information, go to
www.storymuseum.org.uk/whats-on/26characters/ or email
honor.dawkinsstean at storymuseum.org.uk

http://www.storymuseum.org.uk/

3.3 THE HISTORY OF DRAGONS (AT CRUMBLING CASTLE, THAT IS)

On the Waterstones blog, Kirsten Armstrong – an editor for Terry
Pratchett's children's – "explains how his new collection of stories for
children provides an insight to the development of his extraordinary
imagination.

"Dragons at Crumbling Castle is a collection of fourteen of these early
short stories, and it shows that, even aged sixteen, Terry had a
powerful wit and sense of humour. We are introduced to daring animals,
useless wizards and scheming criminals, all vividly imagined to
hilarious effect. Yet the stories in this collection derive added charm
by the fact that they offer a unique insight into the mind of Terry as a
young man – and what first inspired him. A keen astronomer from
childhood, the colonization of the moon was clearly on Terry's mind when
he wrote The Great Speck: 1969 was, after all, the pinnacle of the space
programme, and as Terry has said, he – along with many other keen young
boys with telescopes – had what seemed then quite realistic dreams of
space exploration taking us to other planets in the near future...
Abominable Snowmen turn up several times in Terry's stories for the
Bucks Free Press. It may be that Abominable Snowmen, or yetis, are
simply creatures that appealed to Terry; however, it is worth noting
that in 1967 Doctor Who, which Terry has acknowledged as a major
influence, introduced the yetis as recurring villains in the series
called The Abominable Snowmen..."

http://bit.ly/1AQigAP

3.4 HEROINES FOR GEEKS – AND EVERYONE ELSE

In The Telegraph, a ten-strong list of "the best geek culture heroines"
includes Granny Weatherwax ("Terry Pratchett's best heroines share
qualities with his first, the redoubtable Granny: hard work, sense,
withering sarcasm and a rigid control of the darkness they secretly fear
in themselves.") and Pratchett the Younger's reboot version of Lara
Croft ("Croft received a more realistic make-over for the franchise's
2013 reboot in which she became a fully-rounded character, and one that
women were proud to play."). The list is quite impressive and also
includes such fictional luminaries as Buffy Summers, Kara "Starbuck"
Thrace, Gaiman's Death, and Rogue of the X-Men:

http://bit.ly/1BONmJE

3.5 DISCOVERING THE WONDERS OF DISCWORLD

By Laura Antonucci:

"You can find Terry Pratchett in the sci-fi section in any book store,
but he should really have a section all to his own. Pratchett has
written an insane amount of published works, and which are mostly in the
realm of science fiction and fantasy. In a similar vein of Douglas Adams
— author of 'Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy' — 'The Color of Magic' is
funny, weird and one hell of an adventure. 'The Color of Magic' is the
first in a vast amount of novels, however you can pick up any of The
Discworld Series and not need know any background and still get swept up
in the insane world of A'Tuin. When you begin a book that describes a
world balanced on a disk, balanced on the back of four elephants,
balanced on the back of a gigantic turtle, you either think, 'huh, based
in religious world theory, cool,' or 'what the heck.' And it just gets
weirder from there... I can't even begin to talk about 'The Color of
Magic' and do it justice in one column, but that shouldn't stop anyone
from picking up a copy from whatever bookstore you choose..."

www.thetowerlight.com/2014/11/bookmarks-a-series-for-the-sci-fi-fan/

3.6 THE LIFE OF A PRATCHETT SUPERFAN

By Jane McFarlane in the Derby Telegraph:

"Natalie started to collect the Discworld series, scouring charity shops
at weekends in the hope of finding them... Natalie has just read each of
the previous 39, in chronological order, in preparation for the new
release. 'It's the first time I've ever read all of them in order," she
said. "I started in May and then was horrified to get to the end of the
39th only to realise I hadn't pre-ordered Raising Steam! While I was
waiting for it to be delivered, I ended up reading all the books I have
about the Discworld series, ones like the Science of Discworld – I
couldn't break off and read something else!"... This summer, Natalie
treated herself to a weekend away at the Discworld Convention at the
Palace Hotel in Manchester, leaving the family behind and joining fans
from across the country for the three-day event... Natalie threw herself
into the fun, designing a costume to be the Goddess Anoia, who is the
goddess of things that get stuck in drawers. 'Originally I was just
going to wear a white robe and fasten some kitchen utensils to it,' she
said. 'But then I started planning more and more and in the end my dad
even made me a crown with bent spoons around it. I absolutely loved the
convention and going on my own was brilliant. I could do my own thing
and be completely selfish – Daisy wants to come with me next year and
I'm gutted!' A bone of contention between Natalie and journalist husband
Andrew is that years ago, while working on the Western Gazette, Andrew
actually interviewed Terry Pratchett. 'He read a couple of the books
when he was a teenager but never really got into them so I was so
jealous that he'd interviewed Terry Pratchett,' said Natalie. 'He
redeemed himself by getting up virtually in the middle of the night a
few years ago to drive me to a book signing in Winchester, but I still
almost held it against him that he'd interviewed my hero.'..."

http://bit.ly/1t7liqj

3.7 ALZHEIMER'S STRIKES A MUSIC WITH ROCKS IN LEGEND

 From our favourite Author to one of the greatest rhythm guitarists in
rock history, Alzheimer's is no respecter of artists:

"AC/DC founding member and guitarist Malcolm Young is suffering from
dementia, his family has confirmed. It was announced last week the
61-year-old would not be returning to the rock band after taking a break
earlier this year due to an unspecified illness. 'Malcolm is suffering
from dementia and the family thanks you for respecting their privacy,'
his family told People... The group said last week that 'due to the
nature of Malcolm's condition' Young would not feature on the new
recordings or participate in the tour. His nephew, Stevie Young, will
accompany the band on tour after playing rhythm guitar on the album. The
news confirms rumours that the musician was suffering from the illness.
The Sydney Morning Herald reported Young had been moved into full-time
care at a nursing home in Sydney. According to a family friend, the
guitarist could no longer remember how to play AC/DC songs. 'If you were
in the room with [Young] and walked out, then came back in one minute
later, he wouldn't remember who you are. He has a complete loss of
short-term memory,' the unnamed source said..."

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-29439423

3.8 EARLY TEST FOR ALZHEIMER'S LOOK PROMISING

By Lisa Winter on IFLS:

"An early diagnosis is necessary to intervene and slow down the
progression of neurodegenerative disease, such as Alzheimer's disease
(AD). Unfortunately, the disease typically isn't spotted until symptoms
have already appeared and amyloid plaques have begun to accumulate and
cause damage to the brain. A new blood test claims to be able to
accurately identify Alzheimer's disease 10 years before the onset of
symptoms.

"The paper was published in The Journal of the Federation of American
Societies for Experimental Biology. Lead author Dimitrios Kapogiannis
from the National Institute on Aging in Baltimore presented the research
this week at the 2014 meeting of the Society for Neuroscience in
Washington, DC. The blood test was performed on 174 patients with
various degrees of neurological health: 84 of the participants were
healthy adults, 20 were elderly adults with no dementia, and 70 had been
diagnosed with AD. The researchers also had access to frozen blood
samples from 20 of the AD patients that had been taken anywhere from
1-10 years prior to the diagnosis...

"There have been other AD tests announced this year that use different
biomarkers to predict disease. Based on 10 proteins found in the blood,
a team from Oxford predicted onset of AD within a year for over 1,100
participants, with 87% accuracy. A team from Georgetown University
screened for 10 lipids in 525 participants, and was 90% accurate in
predicting disease in three years. This current test is still in its
early stages, and larger studies will be needed to replicate and
validate these findings. The researchers are confident that using IRS-1
as a biomarker will be able to stand up to that scrutiny and will allow
for early intervention of AD in the future..."

http://bit.ly/1v1emAB

3.9 IAN STEWART ON FLATLAND

Science of Discworld co-creator Ian Stewart loves the classic maths
fantasy "Flatland":

"Mathematician Ian Stewart wants us to see what he sees. Which is kind
of a problem, because he's accustomed to envisioning some pretty
impossible shapes: snowflakes in fractional dimensions, hypercubes in
4-D, 11-dimensional superstrings. So when the University of Warwick
professor and author writes about these freaky geometries, he relies on
an analogy — a way for us blockheads to understand realities above,
below, and in between our three dimensions. His guide is a little
mathematical fantasy he read over half a century ago: the cult classic
Flatland. Written in the early 1880s by Edwin A. Abbott, the story
follows A. Square, a regular quadrilateral who lives on a 2-D plane. He
can't conceive of depth, but his perspective expands when a sphere
visits him from 3-D Spaceland. Though Square can't experience all three
of the sphere's dimensions, he can see it in cross-section as a circle
of various sizes. That's the trick Stewart uses: By describing what it's
like for a flat object to imagine a solid one, he can help us imagine an
object in four dimensions. For instance, a crazy 4-D sphere (called a
glome) might appear to us as expanding and contracting spherical
cross-sections. 'Starting with Flatland's point of view,' he says, 'you
find a way in.' Stewart considers Flatland one of the earliest works of
popular science..."

http://www.wired.com/2014/11/geometry-of-flatland/

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

04) REVIEWS: RAISING STEAM; A SLIP OF THE KEYBOARD

4.1 RAISING STEAM

By N.C Sanders on Science Fiction.com:

"In any long running series, sequelitis is bound to set in at some
point. It is an inevitability, along with getting the sniffles during
flu season or craving anything and everything displayed on a cooking
show. Someone neglected to inform Terry Pratchett of this fact, however.
'Raising Steam' is the fortieth book in his 'Discworld' series and it
shows no signs of slowing down at all... This combination of playing
around with real-world history and sprinkling it in with the magic and
varying cultures unique to Discworld makes much of the adventure a real
treat. It is the varying perspectives and continual shifts of narration
which prove to be both a plus and a minus. Later on in the story, the
character switching adds well-built tension into the drama filled final
act, but can be a bit overwhelming in the beginning when trying to
acquaint (or reacquaint) one's self with the ensemble cast. But this one
wrinkle is far from enough to drag down this rousing tale which seems
destined to pull an aged series into a new and exciting age..."

http://bit.ly/1x2NUpQ

...and by Cindy A. Matthews on Authorlink:

"Dick Simnel's creation of a prototype steam engine starts a commercial,
transportation and technological revolution practically overnight, and
of course it can't remain a secret for long. The newfangled invention
inspires rabid trainspotters and Luddite-type detractors alike, as well
as attracting the attention of those in power and those who are forced
to maintain it, namely the Patrician Lord Vetinari and his right hand
man, the amiable scallywag forever in his debt, Moist von Lipwig. Throw
in a few grease-loving goblins, exercising their newly acquired civil
rights, and some very angry dwarves, voicing quite a political agenda,
and the fireworks begin in earnest. Pratchett constructs the conflict on
his flat-disc fantasy world parallel to a Dickensian Earth where the
steam engine shook up more than a few people's notions of how life could
be and should be like..."

http://authorlink.com/2014/11/10/raising-steam-by-terry-pratchett/

4.2 ...AND A SLIP OF THE KEYBOARD

By Byron Gillan in the Buffalo News:

"Since his debut novel 'The Carpet People' in 1971, Pratchett has
constructed an entire literary universe that some think is on par with
the likes of Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, or such authors of the newer
generation as George R.R. Martin and J.K. Rowling. So extensive is the
Discworld collection, that there are fan-made guides for new readers
first-approaching Pratchett's sprawling world. At times the author has
branched out to write other works, such as his collaborations with the
darling of the literary Comic-Con scene, Neil Gaiman (of 'Sandman' and
'American Gods' fame). However, Pratchett's attention has primarily
concerned the world of Discworld and for good reason. The elaborate
series boasts a massive fan base, with conventions, games, and more
having grown and evolved around the books. As a result, Pratchett has
achieved fame as one of the pillars of the modern fantasy community...
His prose rails against the unjust ways of the world, and the
circumstances of his own life. This image at once dispels the notions of
Pratchett as the 'lovable-professor' as many have sought to describe
him... We see Pratchett fighting to write down a few words of prose over
an entire day in a novel's early pages; a weakness fans don't normally
believe a talented and experienced author would possess. Later we see
his frustrations with editors, event organizers, publishers and even
fans. 'A Slip of the Keyboard' offers readers a candid, and extremely
'real' view of the world as Pratchett sees it. Warts included.

"That isn't to say there isn't humor, an iconic standard of Pratchett's
work. Oh there is indeed that, and in spades. While he does not shy away
from the darker aspects of his ascension to fame and fortune, Pratchett
remains appreciative and loving of his ability, and the fans who made
his rise possible. He shares many lovely and heartbreakingly- sweet
tales of bonding with fans, experiencing the rising popularity of the
Discworld series through conventions, and more..."

http://bit.ly/1xQPDPe

...and Colin Steele in the Sydney Morning Herald gives an Australian
perspective:

"It's not all gloom and doom. Pratchett's dry humour and common sense
pervades many of the essays, which are organised into three sections. A
Scribbling Intruder covers his career as an author almost literally from
rags to riches; A Twit and a Dreamer covers a range of subjects from
school days to the meaning of Christmas, and Days of Rage covers issues
relating to his struggle with Alzheimer's. Pratchett has been very
outspoken about his diagnosis and the problems of the British National
Health Service (NHS). His advocacy of assisted deaths is also emphasised
in several essays, notably his reprinted 2010 BBC Richard Dimbleby
lecture Shaking Hands with Death.

"Pratchett likes Australia, which he has visited  more than a dozen
times, and which features as the subject of his Discworld novel The Last
Continent. His 1998 Australian signing tour is covered in a chapter
diary, No Worries, which includes his Canberra Times/ANU lecture in
which this reviewer features... Pratchett is very conscious of his
working-class origins and reflects on his now rather stellar position,
which includes a knighthood and a number of honorary doctorates. As a
result, several of his essays emphasise the importance of education. He
also emphasises the value of his school library and public libraries in
general, although he deplores librarians calling themselves 'information
providers'. Pratchett would much prefer the label, 'Shining acolytes of
the sacred flame of literacy'..."

http://bit.ly/11Mmwlx

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

05) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS

5.1 NEW: WYRD SISTERS IN BRISBANE

The Brisbane Arts Theatre, having just finished their triumphant run of
The Amazing Maurice, are back with a new production of Wyrd Sisters, now
open!

  When: 22nd November to 13th December 2014
  Venue: Brisbane Arts Centre, 210 Petrie Terrace, Brisbane, Queensland
4000 Phone (07) 3369 2344
  Time: 8pm Thursdays, Fridays & Saturdays; 6.30pm Sundays
  Tickets: Adults $31, Concessions $25, Group discount (10+) $25, Large
Group (75+) $20, Gold Members $15, Members $25AUD, Student Rush(10 mins
before curtain) $10. Members can redeem their included season tickets
for this show.
To buy tickets online, go to http://bit.ly/1AJ9lkw

http://artstheatre.com.au/show/wyrdsisters#sthash.3sCsVAE6.dpuf

5.2 NEW: AUDITIONS FOR MONSTROUS PRODUCTIONS' WITCHES ABROAD

Monstrous Productions are seeking cast and crew for their 2015
production of Witches Abroad:

"All roles are available and anyone aged between 18 and 70 is welcome.
No experience necessary so why not have a go? Auditions will be held
between 17th and 21st November with an open audition at Cardiff
University Main Building on Thursday 20th; meet at 6pm in the foyer.
Email us at monstrousproductions2012 at gmail.com for your audition pack."

Witches Abroad will be performed at the Gate Theatre, Cardiff, from
8th-11th April 2015. Remember, all profits from Monstrous Productions
plays and merchandise go to Alzheimer's Research UK. In fact, they exist
solely to perform Pratchett plays for this very purpose!

http://www.monstrousptc.com/

5.3 REMINDER: WYRD SISTERS IN WEST SUSSEX

Stage-Door Theatre Company, having already tackled the Scottish Play
some eleven years ago, will tackle the Disc-ish Play – Wyrd Sisters –
this December.

  When: 10th-13th December 2014
  Venue: The Windmill Theatre, The Green, Littlehampton, West Sussex
BN17 5LM
  Time 7:30pm for evening performances, 2:30pm for the Saturday (13th)
matinee
  Tickets: £11 (concessions at £10). Please contact the box office at
the Circle of Health, 67 Sea Lane, Rustington, West Sussex BN16 2RQ
(telephone 01903 856801) for all ticket enquiries.

5.4 REVIEWS: WYRD SISTERS IN CARDIFF

In Wales Online:

"I don't know how they did it, but with no scenery and very few props,
just the odd table or teapot, the Monstrous Productions Theatre Company
managed to magic up the Discworld. From the opening scene where the
three witches Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg, and Magrat meet – all played
brilliantly by Ellen Warren, Zoe Azzopardi and Lowri Belson – it was
like seeing the much-loved book come to life... During one scene, there
is a play within the play. Some of the actors sat down in the front row,
my heart sank as I sensed audience participation. There is nothing
guaranteed to put me on edge as much as joining in. I cringe at forced
frivolity. To me, fun is a four-letter word, and not just because I
can't spell. But I was wrong. I wasn't forced to take part, just sit
back and enjoy the witches' hilarious heckling a few seats down from me.
The entire cast did an amazing job, with many or them bringing multiple
roles to life..."

http://bit.ly/1xc19FD

...and on Mithril Wisdom:

"The entire cast were superb, working well with Monstrous's hallmark
minimalist stage decoration and allowing more room for all characters to
shine. The witches themselves, performed by Ellen Warren, Zoe Azzopardi
and Lowri Belson (Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg and Magrat) had great
chemistry with one another and did justice to the roles. My favourite
performance, though, came from Jes Hynes (Lord Felmet), whose descent
from simpering hen-pecked nobleman into guilt-ridden madman was a
delight to watch, giving the role a touch of pantomime villainy but with
the gravitas of the Shakespearean tragedy the story satirises. Once
again, Davies' direction gives the audience plenty of Easter eggs during
the performance... As the second Witches story under their belt, Wyrd
Sisters shows that Monstrous Productions can tackle even the most
ambitious of Pratchett stories..."

http://bit.ly/1sdCha9

5.5 REVIEW: MORT IN QUEENSLAND

In the Inverell Times:

"The large audience laughed its way through the very entertaining Mort
and enjoyed a light supper at interval. The cast for Mort was a mixture
of actors that were either new to the stage or new to Inverell
audiences. The roles of Mort and Death were brilliantly portrayed by
Brendon Evans and Dayne Rosolen. They were ably supported by young
actors Eloise Collins, Emma Muggleton and Lachlan McDonald. Audiences
familiar with Inverell Theatre Company productions would have been very
familiar with the actor who portrayed Albert, Peter Caddey..."

http://www.inverelltimes.com.au/story/2679078/on-the-pulse/

5.7 NEW FOR 2015: WYRD SISTERS IN UPPINGHAM

The Uppingham Theatre Company (under the patronage of Stephen Fry) will
present their production of Wyrd Sisters in October 2015 at the
Uppingham Theatre, Stockerston Road, Uppingham, Rutland LE15 9UD

Audition and read-through dates are not available yet, but keep an eye
on http://www.uppthearts.co.uk/ for updates!

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

06) DISCWORLD MEETING GROUPS NEWS

The Broken Drummers, "London's Premier Unofficially Official Discworld
Group" (motto "Nil percussio est"), meets on the first Monday of every
month at the Monkey Puzzle, 30 Southwick Street, London W2 1JQ: "We
welcome anyone and everyone who enjoys Sir Terry's works, or quite likes
them or wants to find out more. We have had many visitors from overseas
who have enjoyed themselves and made new friends. The discussions do not
only concern the works of Sir Terry Pratchett but wander and meander
through other genres and authors and also leaping to TV and Film
production. We also find time for a quiz. The prize is superb. The
chance to set the quiz the following month."

Next meeting: Monday 8th December 2014, from 7pm onwards.

The Drummers' November meet report:

"We met on Monday. It seems a long time ago now. We had one new person,
Marina, who we knew from the forum. We talked a lot about Hogswatch and
did our best to encourage those who have never been to come along.
There was discussion of the most recent Dr. Who. My impression from that
discussion is that I enjoy it more than most because my expectations are
a lot lower. I still think the 'moon is an egg' episode was utter crap,
though and don't get me started on why anyone would repair a Dalek
without disabling its weapon function first. The was a happy moment when
the staff at the Monkey Puzzle brought us a free bowl of chicken
goujons. I'm still not quite sure why but they were nice (as is their
roast pork belly with crackling and an apple stuffed with black pudding.
I'm having a Homer Simpson moment just thinking about it). Only other
thing that sticks in the mind is that I mentioned that I avoid putting
anything too smutty in meeting reports as they are seen by people who
have never been to Drummers. Everyone pointed out that anyone who would
be shocked would probably hate Drummers anyway. Very true."

For more information, go to http://brokendrummers.org/ or email
BrokenDrummers at gmail.com or nicholls.helen at yahoo.co.uk

*

The Pratchett Partisans are a new fan group who meet monthly at either
Brisbane or Indooroopilly to "eat, drink and chat about all things
Pratchett". Forthcoming events include:

Thursday, 27th November 2014: Dinner and games at Groove Train, King
George Square, from 5.30pm

Saturday, 6th December 2014: Discworld board games +early Xmas dinner at
Bris Square Library Theatrette, from 2pm (dinner from 6pm)

For more info about their next meetup, go to
www.meetup.com/Pratchett-Partisans/ or contact Ula directly at
uwilmott at yahoo.com.au

*

The City of Small Gods is a group for fans in Adelaide and South
Australia: "We have regular monthly dinner and games nights, longer
games days, plus play outings, craft-y workshops, and fun social
activities throughout the year. For more info and to join our mailing
list, visit http://cityofsmallgods.org.au "

*

The Broken Vectis Drummers meet on the first Thursday of every month
from 7.30pm at The Castle pub in Newport, Isle of Wight.

Next meeting: Thursday 4th December 2014, probably, but do email to check.

All new members and curious passersby are very welcome! For more info
and any queries, contact broken_vectis_drummers at yahoo.co.uk

*

The Wincanton Omnian Temperance Society (WOTS) meets on the first Friday
of every month at Wincanton's famous Bear Inn from 7pm onwards.
"Visitors and drop-ins are always welcome!"

Next meeting: Friday 5th December 2014 (probably).

*

The Northern Institute of the Ankh-Morpork and District Society of
Flatalists, a Pratchett fangroup, has been meeting on a regular basis
since 2005 but is now looking to take in some new blood (presumably not
in the non-reformed Uberwald manner). The Flatalists normally meet at
The Narrowboat Pub in Victoria Street, Skipton, North Yorkshire, to
discuss "all things Pratchett" as well as having quizzes and raffles.

Details of future meetings are posted on the Events section of the
Discworld Stamps forum:

http://www.discworldstamps.co.uk/forum/

*

Sydney Drummers (formerly Drummers Downunder) meet on the first Monday
of every month in Sydney at 3 Wise Monkeys, 555 George Street, Sydney,2000.

Next meeting: Monday 1st December 2014 at 6.30pm (probably). For more
information, contact Sue (aka Granny Weatherwax): kenworthys at yahoo.co.uk

*

The Treacle Mining Corporation, formerly known as Perth Drummers, meet
on the first Monday of the month (subject to holidays) at the
child-friendly Carpe Cafe, 526 Murray Street, Perth, Western Australia.

Next meeting: from 5.30pm on Monday 1st December 2014 (probably).

For details follow Perth Drummers on Twitter @Perth_Drummers and
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/Perth.Drummers/ – otherwise
message Alexandra Ware directly at <alexandra.ware at gmail.com>

*

Western Drummers, also based in Sydney, meet at The Rowers, Nepean
Rowing Club, Bruce Neal Drive, Penrith at 6.30-7.30pm for food, 7.30pm
for games, quizzes and chat: "If you have never been, please come on
down. You would be very welcome. We eat, have a drink, talk Discworld
and play board games. Starts kind of 6 – 6.30ish and finishes kind of
9pm ish."

Next meeting: as there was a meeting last week, the next will probably
be in mid-January. For more information, contact Nanny Ogg –
lewis_oz at bigpond.com – or visit their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/westerndrummers

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

07) DISCWORLD ARTS AND CRAFTS NEWS

7.1 PJSM PRINTS UPDATES

PJSM Prints are back in action with a piggies-drawn sleigh-full of
Discworld goodies:

"Hogswatch is approaching! Check out the latest range of calendars,
diaries, cards, badges and more from PJSM Prints!

"After much discussion and deliberation with Terry we have decided that
from now on all new titles will be exclusively embossed with his
signature plate rather than hand signed. He would like to make it clear
that this has absolutely nothing to do with the progression of his
Embuggerance, but after more than forty years of signing he feels that
his hand really could do with a bit of a rest. And so even though we
still have a large stock of signed books and prints, we now think it
unfair to ask Terry to work his way through the inevitable mountain of
orders that land around publication time. The signature embossing is
pressed directly onto the page and is further enhanced with a golden
Pratchett Coat of Arms. Thank you for your understanding, but we first
and foremost have to think of Terry while still being able to offer
something exclusive to our Discworld collectors worldwide.

"UPDATE! Thank you for all your feedback, but Terry would like to point
out that he really is very much okay and has just finished one book and
has already started another. He's still writing every day!"

Some PJSM goodies presently available include...

* Terry Pratchett's Discworld Collector's Edition Calendar 2015

"Exclusively embossed With 800 days, 13 months, two of each season and
more festivals than you can shake a stick at, a Discworld year is hard
to keep track of! Whilst we can't offer the same excitement here in
Roundworld the 2015 Discworld calendar is bursting with colour and
features the artwork of Discworld artist Stephen Player. Each month
sports a glorious full colour picture of your favourite characters and
ample space for notes."

Price £15.00. To order, go to:
http://www.pjsmprints.com/books/index.html#calendar

* Discworld 2015 Diary: We R Igors

"Exclusively embossed with Terry's signature, this delightfully
illustrated diary is a must for any Pratchett fan's Hogswatch stocking!
A durable, high quality hardback, with heavy weave pages, this beautiful
book comes with all the functionality of an everyday diary but also
packs the charm, wit and wonder of the Discworld into every month."

The 2015 Discworld Diary is priced at £20.00. To order, go to:
http://www.pjsmprints.com/books/index.html#Igors

* Badges

"Our quality hard enamelled badges are always a hit but when the
Hogfather turns up you simply can't resist! Great for pinning onto
anything from school bags to blazers, wear your Hogfather with pride!
He's only available for a limited time and stocks will dwindle, so snap
one up while you can! Great stocking filler for the Discworld fan in
your life."

Price for individual 40mm/1.5" badges (including Susan, Twoflower,
Moist, Granny, Death, Rincewind with the Luggage, Vetinari with the
Eyebrow, Pterry himself, the Librarian, and the new Hogfather badge) is
£3.50 each; for individual 25mm/1" badges – a huge selection – £1 each.
To order, go to: http://www.pjsmprints.com/badges/index.html

* Canvas prints

"We love our new range of canvases and can't wait to share them with
you! Printed on the best quality, robust material and wonderfully
sturdy, these vibrantly coloured prints feature some of our most popular
artwork and classic quotes from the Man Himself. 5 Exclamation Marks is
the Sign of an Insane Mind !!!!!"

Prices vary from £15 to £35.00 for a wide selection of different sizes.
To view the full collection and to order, go to:
http://www.pjsmprints.com/canvas/index.html

* Hogswatch cards

"Wish your loved ones a truly merry Hogswatch with our seasonal range of
high-quality A5 cards. These beautifully illustrated gloss cards feature
the artwork of Paul Kidby and include a lineup of Discworld characters
guaranteed to titillate even the most cynical Ankh-Morporkian denizen.
Cards feature The Hogfather, The Librarian (Who doesn't need an 'Ook!'
in their life?) and Nanny Ogg in festive mood. All cards have individual
messages and come complete with colourful envelopes."

Priced at £2.95, the cards are all A5 size and come with coloured
envelopes. To view the full collection and to order, go to:
http://www.pjsmprints.com/Hogswatch/index.html

* Mousemats

"Cheer yourself up at work or home with one of our quality Discworld
mousemats, your desk will never be dull again with Death of Rats to keep
you company (squeak!) All mousemats are now reduced so snap them up at
only £5 each! Once they're gone, they're gone."

Price £5. To view the full collection and to order, go to:
http://www.pjsmprints.com/mousemats/index.html

* Mort and Greebo

"Our latest 2 designs in the ever popular magnet and coaster Dweenie
range, we're delighted to offer you Mort and Greebo. Take a look at the
full range to mix and match your favourites. Don't forget, the Hogfather
is available for a limited time only."

Price per magnet is £2.00; per coaster, £2.50; a set of 22 magnets is
£42.00, and a set of 22 coasters is £52.00. Each magnet measures 57mm
square; each coaster measures 90mm square. To view the full collection
and to order, go to:
http://www.pjsmprints.com/dweenie/index.html

* Death Hoodie

"A black outfit... with a hood... who wears an ensemble like that? Oh
yes, Death! And now we're offering you the chance to as well with our
NEW Death hoodie! Made of superb quality, heavy woven cotton our new
hoodies will see you through the coldest Hogswatch in style. With one of
our most popular images screenprinted on the reverse, these are a
fabulous buy and are selling fast."

Price £38.00, in a range of sizes from Small to Extra Extra Large. For
full details and to order, go to:
http://www.pjsmprints.com/tshirts/index.html

* Paper Panda Cards – New

"We're exceptionally proud of these versatile and unusual cards
featuring some of the most popular Discworld characters. Seasonal enough
to use for Hogswatch greetings but left blank inside for you to
personalise, each design is reproduced in faithful detail on A5 card and
comes complete with envelope."

Price £2.95 each (editor's note: these new cards are exceptionally
beautiful!). To view the full collection and to order, go to:
http://www.pjsmprints.com/greetingscards/index.html

* CMOT Badges – Popular and easy to pack, good stocking fillers

"Proudly display your affiliation to the various Ankh-Morporkian guilds,
institutions, organisations and individuals with our range of best
selling designed lapel wear. Cock-a-snook at mere undergraduates with
[the] Unseen University Alumni Badge" (approximately 35mm high)...
Cock-an-even-bigger-snook at holders of inferior degrees with [the]
Unseen University Doctoral Badge" (approx. 40mm high)... and not
forgetting the Ankh-Morpork City Watch Badge: "Essential for every
budding Watch Man, Woman, Troll, Dwarf, Golem, Vampire, Pixie etcetera.
Antique bronze metal – approximately 35mm high."

UU Alumni Badge is £4.50; UU Doctoral Badge, £4.95; A-M City Watch
Badge, £6.95. To view the full collection and to order, go to:
http://www.pjsmprints.com/cmot/index.html

"PLEASE NOTE OUR LAST GUARANTEED ORDERING DATES FOR HOGSWATCH 2014 ARE:
UK – 13th December
Western Europe – 6th December
USA – 5th December
The rest of the world (including Australia and New Zealand) – 27th November"

http://pjsmprints.com/

7.2 DISCWORLD EMPORIUM UPDATES

"Hogswatch is on the horizon, and our final recommended posting dates
are here giving you plenty of time to peruse our range of Discworld
delights and place your orders. To ease the burden of browsing we've
compiled a handy selection of our favourite items for you to choose from":

New stuff: http://bit.ly/14kVeDD
Jewellery and apparel: http://bit.ly/1zo3EnE
Homewares: http://bit.ly/1oUaHDY
Printed gifts: http://bit.ly/1zo3QmT
Games and pastimes: http://bit.ly/1GV6ANA
...and of course, stamps: http://bit.ly/1wwj8Tn

REMEMBER, FINAL ORDER DATES ARE:
USA: 11th December
EU: 13th December
UK: 18th December
Rest of the world: 3rd December

* Ankh-Morpork, the fiendishly difficult Discworld puzzle!

"Back in August we premiered our Ankh-Morpork Jigsaw, which promptly
sold out at the International Discworld Convention. We've since been
working on some tweaks and are pleased to announce that the Fiendishly
Difficult Discworld Puzzle is now back in stock for Hogswatch!

"Ankh-Morpork, city of one thousand surprises – now in a thousand
puzzling pieces! See the city unfold before your very eyes, but only if
they can take the strain! Featuring artwork from The Compleat
Ankh-Morpork, this fiendishly difficult Discworld puzzle is a must for
any jigsaw collector and Pratchett fan. 'Compleated' puzzle measures 66
x 50cm, made in the UK. (Health warning; side effects may include head
scratching, wall climbing and mild bouts of lunacy – but the view is
worth it!). 2nd Edition."

Ankh-Morpork 1,000 piece jigsaw puzzle, is priced at £17.50. For full
details and to order, go to:
http://bit.ly/1ww2SSd

* Hogswatch 2014 Update!

Hogswatch 2014, "A gathering of Discworld fans who really should know
better", will take place on 28th-30th November:

"Join us [in] Wincanton on November 28-30th in for a festive celebration
of all things Discworld in Ankh-Morpork's very own twin town. Enjoy a
weekend of diverse entertainments including, games, talks, activities
for little folk and Hogswatch staples such as the traditional Sausage
Supper, Strut your Stuff, and the Grand Charity Auction – all held in
venues throughout the town. Good little boys and girls may even be
treated to a visitation from the Hogfather himself. Expect good food, a
warm welcome, and plenty of charitable nonsense in the company of fellow
fans and likeminded folk. A full programme of events will be available
nearer the date...

"This year we're also celebrating three major book anniversaries – 10
years of Going Postal, 20 years of Interesting Times and 25 years of
Pyramids, giving a huge range of costuming opportunity. Dressing up is
wholeheartedly encouraged, so whether Noble Postman or Agatean Emperor,
don your Discworld gladrags and paint the town Octarine!

"Hogswatch is an informal gathering, with a friendly atmosphere and
easygoing charm. It's (mostly) free to attend but you will have to
source your own accommodation.

"Getting there – for directions and public transport information (Google
Maps): http://bit.ly/1xE5Sl5 – CAR PARKING – Wincanton is blessed with
three free carparks, for restriction information and a car park map:
http://en.parkopedia.co.uk/parking/wincanton/

"Don't forget to order your limited edition Hogswatch 2014 Medal of
Honour – exclusive to our fearless and foolhardy Hogswatch attendees!"
The Hogswatch 2014 Medal of Honour is priced at £3.50. For full info and
to pre-order for collection at the event:

www.discworldemporium.com/Hogswatch%20Medal%20of%20Honour

*

FURTHER UPDATES

"Hogswatch is a special time for the Ankh-Morpork Post Office; the crisp
crunch of snow under foot on the morning rounds, the back-breaking mail
sacks full of Hogswatch cheer, the quivering excitement of stamp
collectors as they await the Hogswatch designs... With previous guest
artists including Paul Kidby and Peter Dennis, the limited edition
Hogswatch issues from Discworld Stamps are always eagerly anticipated.
We're excited to reveal that this year's designs are the result of an
exclusive collaboration between The Discworld Emporium and guest artist
Joe McLaren; cover artist for the stunning Discworld Collector's Library
Edition Hardbacks from Gollancz! A true Pratchett fan at heart (and a
member of the Discworld Collector's Club back in the 90s), Joe has used
his distinctive style to depict a view of Sator Square on Hogswatch eve
complete with wizards, beggars, dwarfs, trolls, the Hogfather in his
sleigh, snow swirling around the Tower of Art and candlelit carols – a
real Hogswatch treat!"

* "Fairytale of Ankh-Morpork" Minisheet

"This glorious image has been cleverly designed to incorporate four
separate tableaus that make our new issues from the A.M.P.O. presented
here as a limited edition minisheet measuring approx 90 x 90mm. An
edition of only 300."

Priced at £5.00, the Fairytale of Ankh-Morpork minisheet will be
available online on 2nd December (also available at Hogswatch 2014
Wincanton festivities next weekend). To see images of the Minisheet, and
to order (in the fullness of time), go to: http://bit.ly/1yFbatF

* Hogswatch exclusive Little Brown Envelope!

"No Hogswatch would be complete without a festive edition of our Little
Brown Envelope – a lucky-dip assortment of Discworld Stamps with a
chance of rarities, sports and prizes. Each LBE in this edition will
contain at least one of Joe McLaren's Hogswatch stamps, along with a
generous sprinkling of the two Hogswatch sport variants, rare Blue
Triangles and Dead Letter Labels distributed throughout the edition. And
that's not all! Being the season of goodwill there will also be TWO
ultra-rare Blue Triangle Sports waiting to be found in lucky envelopes,
along with prize tickets for 1 of 30 exclusive Sport Covers, or 1 of 30
Large Format Sheets of Hogswatch stamps – Now if that doesn't get you in
the festive mood, we don't know what will!

"ON SALE AT OUR HOGSWATCH EVENT IN WINCANTON FROM SAT 29TH, AND ONLINE
IN TWO BATCHES AT 10:00AM & 6:00PM GMT ON TUESDAY 2ND DEC. For more
information & a sneaky preview click the images!"

http://bit.ly/1uSUI8w
http://bit.ly/1xEC077
http://bit.ly/1raRx8o
http://bit.ly/1zNom0t

"N.B. Special Editions tend to sell our VERY quickly, often within the
first ten minutes of release. To avoid disappointment we recommend the
purchase of an LBE Season Ticket. Otherwise please have this page ready
at the time of release and remember to refresh your browser. It is
important to note that adding LBEs to your cart does NOT guarantee
purchase - proceeding quickly to checkout once they have been added to
cart is heartily advised."

The Hogswatch LBE is priced at £5.00. For more information and to order
(in the fullness of time), go to:
http://bit.ly/1torZEG

* "Hogswatch 2014 First Day Cover"

"A beautifully illustrated First Day Cover featuring this year's
Hogswatch issues by guest artist Joe McLaren - cover illustrator of the
stunning  Discworld Collector's Library edition Hardbacks from Gollancz.
Joe has used his distinctive style to depict a festive view of Sator
Square complete with wizards, beggars, dwarfs, trolls, the Hogfather in
his sleigh, snow swirling around the Tower of Art and candlelit carols -
a real Hogswatch treat! Each cover features all four designs,
embellished with a limited edition Hogswatch frank from the A-M.P.O and
accompanied by a decorative commemorative insert! An edition of only
250, each cover measures 110 x 220mm (DL)."

The Hogswatch 2014 First Day Cover is priced at £10.00 and will be
available online on 2nd December (also available at Hogswatch 2014
Wincanton festivities next weekend). To see images of the First Day
Cover, and to order (in the fullness of time), go to:
http://bit.ly/1vaa7To

* "Hogswatch 2014 is only a week away and we are pleased to announce
that our official programme of events is now LIVE! View on our website,
or download a printable version for Acrobat-supporting devices – click
below to view!"

http://www.discworldemporium.com/Hogswatch%202014

*** Editor's Choice: some recommended selections from the Discworld
Emporium for your Hogswatch stockings...

a. "The Witches" board game

"The Witches is set in the magically charged land of Lancre. Players
take on the role of trainee witches, such as Tiffany Aching and Petulia
Gristle, learning their craft and dealing with all the problems that
life on Discworld can throw at them. Our heroines will tackle everything
from a sick pig to a full-blown invasion of elves – life can be tough
for a young witch in Lancre! Fear not however, as an array of
Discworld's most famous characters will be on hand to aid your quest.
Along the way you'll meet the guiding forces of Granny Weatherwax, Nanny
Ogg and Magrat Garlick, along with a rich supporting cast of familiar
faces from Terry Pratchett's bestselling Discworld series. Compete with
your fellow 'hags' to master the witches' craft, and cooperate to
prevent crises from escalating into catastrophes. Most problems can be
solved with a little headology and a nice cup of tea, although at times
you must resort to magic, but beware – too much may cause you to turn
'Black Aliss'. The Witches can be played with up to four players,
competitively, co-operatively, or even played solitaire.

"The Witches is the second Discworld game from Martin Wallace and
explores another corner of Discworld, where our brave heroines are
forever on call to impart their wisdom, and battling evil is just part
of the job. Suitable for ages 13+ Play length 90 minutes approx."

"The collector's edition of The Witches includes exclusive alternative
cover art, a larger Lancre map game board, four exclusive pewter
figurines of each playable character: Tiffany Aching, Petulia Gristle,
Annagramma Hawkin and Dimity Hubbub, along with a rather stunning A1
poster of artwork from the game. This edition is limited to 2000 copies
world wide."

The Standard Edition is £29.99. To order: http://bit.ly/1zDU9ky

The Collector's Edition is £40.00. To order: http://bit.ly/1uSqUKt

b. The Ankh-Morpork Post Office Collection Box

[A cut out and build beauty! – Ed.]

"From the pages of Going Postal and the team who brought you the Unseen
University Cut Out Book this cut-out and build collection box is an
ideal activity to while away a soggy afternoon. When complete your
Ankh-Morpork post box can be used to collect anything from small coinage
to love notes, or simply used as a table decoration. Each pack contains
four sheets of sturdy paper to cut out including the option to make
either a clean and shiny post box or a graffiti-decorated version more
often seen on the streets of Ankh-Morpork. Finished article measures
235cm high, glue and cutting implement not supplied. Supervision of
little folk is advised."

The A-M Post Office Collection Box is priced at £5.00. To order:
http://bit.ly/1p1yRw6

c. "Raising Steam" Collector's Pack

"The age of steam has arrived in Ankh-Morpork, and to celebrate the
Discworld Emporium is proud to offer this exclusive collection of
stunning ephemera from Terry Pratchett's 40th Discworld novel, Raising
Steam! Each set includes an A3 folded guide to Discworld's new Railway,
featuring cover artwork by Peter Dennis and Ian Mitchell depicting the
glorious Iron Girder, Discworld's first locomotive. Inside you'll find
the official map produced by Ian Mitchell for the frontispiece of
Raising Steam, only BIGGER and in FULL COLOUR! On the reverse you'll
find a full explanation of services available to first, second and third
class passengers. Each guide has been lithographically printed onto high
quality 280 micron art paper.

"You will also receive a third class luggage label featuring additional
artwork of Iron Girder – a souvenir from your journey on the
Ankh-Morpork and Sto Plains Hygienic Railway. This label is robust
enough to withstand even the most 'enthusiastic' baggage handler and is
matt varnished for a tactile finish. Measures approx. 70 x 110 mm. And
then there's the ticket – the ultimate keepsake! Printed on textured
paper and punched at either end on our own perforator, each ticket is
printed on both sides for an authentic 'age of steam' appearance. On the
reverse of your ticket you'll find a few useful titbits of information
to make your journey more pleasurable (No singing, spitting or
micturating from the windows).

"Also Included is a postcard from Uberwald, featuring an illustration of
the Fifth Elephant crashing into the hills surrounding Bonk and
Schmaltzberg. On the reverse, you can read the missive of a young dwarf
in search of his roots. Each card bears an Ankh-Morpork Post Office 5p
Rail Mail stamp, featuring Iron Girder herself, franked in transit.
(Discworld Stamp collectors, please note that mint examples of this
stamp will be available in the near future).

"All of the above has been prepared with great care to contain no
spoilers – only details that have been made immediately apparent in the
press as approved by Sir Terry."

The Raising Steam Collector's Pack is priced at £12.50. To order:
http://bit.ly/1BNZBGf

d. The City Watch Pocket Notebook

"Uphold the law on the streets of Ankh-Morpork with the aid of the
official issue pocket notebook – a trusty companion to the officer on
the beat or in a bind. Contains 44 plain pages for your reports and
scribblings, along with six pages of reference material to guide you
about your duties. Includes quick-fire information on powers of arrest,
chargeable offences, first aid and watch houses, equipment regulations,
and the all-important watch oath. Features sketchbook-quality 190gsm
off-white leaves made from 100% real paper, and textured card cover with
rounded corners. Measures 105 x 147mm."

The City Watch Pocket Notebook is priced at £5.00. To order:
http://bit.ly/11v2cUE

e. The I ATE'NT DEAD Necklace

"The Feegles call her the 'Hag O' Hags', the dwarfs 'She Who Must Be
Avoided', but we know her best as Esmerelda Weatherwax: Discworld's most
formidable practitioner of headology. Our tribute to Granny Weatherwax
is her iconic borrowing sign recreated as a beautiful silver pendant and
chain. Created by our award-winning silversmiths in the historic
workshops of Birmingham's Jewellery Quarter, each pendant has been
hand-crafted so that no one sign is precisely the same, and stamped with
the Discworld and sterling silver hallmarks on the reverse. A precious
and essential accessory for any aspiring witch!! Pendant measures approx
25 x 22mm, necklace (end to end) measures 480mm."

The I ATE'NT DEAD Necklace is priced at £45.00. To order:
http://bit.ly/1CdxRWp

f. And finally... Wintersmith! The Deluxe Edition of Steeleye Span's
officially Pterry-approved concept CD

"An epic musical collaboration from mutual fans Steeleye Span and Terry
Pratchett, based on the Discworld novel Wintersmith – a match made in
folk-rock heaven! Steeleye Span famously played at Terry's 60th birthday
party and they have been firm friends ever since. This deluxe double CD
album features four extra songs, plus eight live tracks from the
Wintersmith Tour and two exclusive demo versions. Features Maddy Prior,
the voice of Steeleye for 40 years at the helm of the line-up, with band
stalwart and fiddler extraordinaire Peter Knight, Rick Kemp on bass,
Peter Zorn and Julian Littman on Guitars and Liam Genockey on the drum
stool, With special guests Terry Pratchett, Kathryn Tickell and John
Spiers."

The Deluxe Wintersmith CD set is priced at £15.00. To order:
http://bit.ly/1xVb1E1

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

08) IMAGES OF THE MONTH

An excellently cast trio of Lancre Witches, from Monstrous Productions'
Wyrd Sisters:
http://bit.ly/1zb1IPx

The title page of the BBC Good Omens radio play script, "signed by All
Involved", which raised £360.00 in the 2014 Children in Need auction:
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxMDY2/z/cm4AAOSw1XdUW75P/$_57.JPG

...and the hardcover edition of Good Omens, signed by the authors, which
raised £285.00 in the auction:
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTA2NlgxNjAw/z/UusAAOSwosFUW7zO/$_57.JPG

The Author has a new hat!
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B2Qe7mYIgAA99HT.jpg

The Treacle Miners of Perth, Fourecks did a creditable Ankh-Morpork City
Watch for Comic Con:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BkCYy87CcAAibKs.jpg:large

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

09) CLOSE

As time continues to tick on and our favourite author's Embuggerance
steals him away cell by cell, the subject of the freedom to choose one's
own time and place of dying becomes ever more relevant. Here is a
well-written, level-headed editorial piece on the subject in Brockport
College's student newspaper. Well worth reading and considering.

"Terry Pratchett, a writer I admire, has Alzheimer's disease, which has
recently begun affecting his ability to write. Though he lives in the
UK, which does not have any sort of Death with Dignity law, he sought
information in Switzerland which does allow for physician-assisted
suicide. He published 'Choosing to Die' which follows several patients
as they travel to the Swiss company Dignitas to end their lives. In the
documentary, Pratchett said if and likely when he loses his ability to
write, he will most likely choose to end his life rather than live in a
world where he can't write..."

http://bit.ly/1zEv5Kc

And here is another well-written and well-reasoned piece, this time from
a demographic usually associated with social conservatism (i.e.
corporate chartered accountancy):

"Our society has begun to move toward discussing death more frankly and
re-examining many of our existing suppositions about what a good death
looks like. A study released early this year found that most doctors
surveyed would prefer a do-not-resuscitate, or 'no code,' order for
themselves should they be diagnosed with terminal illness, though by
default, most patients receive all available measures unless they
specifically indicate other wishes. VJ Periyakoil, the study's lead
author, observed that, 'Our current default is "doing," but in any
serious illness there comes a tipping point where the high-intensity
treatment becomes more of a burden than the disease itself.' Identifying
this tipping point cannot be easy for doctors or loved ones, but surely
when patients still have the capacity to do so, they deserve the power
to make this call..."

http://bit.ly/1ucYPsg

In slightly cheerier news, Pratchett the Younger has now taken on
writing the Tomb Raider comic, according to her Twitter feed: "Excited
to announce that I'm writing the next run of Tomb Raider comics with
@DarkHorseComics, starting with #13"

And a thought to finish on: according to the QI Elves, "The Aymara
people of the Andes speak of the past as lying ahead and the future
behind them". Backwards time among mountain dwellers? Sounds like a
concept the Discworld troll community would find familiar...

And that's the lot for now. If there's any late-breaking news or other
items of interest, we'll be back at the very end of the month.
Otherwise, see you in December!

Remember, the mirror version of this issue can be viewed at:
http://wossname.dreamwidth.org/6267.html

– Annie Mac

The End. If you have any questions or requests, write: wossname-owner
(at) pearwood (dot) info