Wossname -- January 2015 -- Main issue

News and reviews about the works of Sir Terry Pratchett wossname at pearwood.info
Thu Jan 22 10:54:00 EST 2015

Wossname
January 2015 (Volume 18, Issue 1, Post 1)

WOSSNAME is a free publication offering news, reviews, and all the other
stuff-that-fits pertaining to the works and activities of Sir Terry
Pratchett. Originally founded by the late, great Joe Schaumburger for
members of the worldwide Klatchian Foreign Legion and its affiliates,
including the North American Discworld Society and other continental
groups, Wossname is now for Discworld and Pratchett fans everywhere in
Roundworld.

Editor in Chief: Annie Mac
News Editor: Vera P
Newshounds: Mogg, Sir J of Croydon Below, the Shadow, Wolfiekins
Staff Writers: Asti, Pitt the Elder, Evil Steven Dread, Mrs Wynn-Jones
Staff Technomancers: Jason Parlevliet, Archchancellor Neil, DJ Helpful
Book Reviews: Annie Mac, Drusilla D'Afanguin, Your Name Here
Puzzle Editor: Tiff (still out there somewhere)
Emergency Staff: Steven D'Aprano, Jason Parlevliet
World Membership Director: Steven D'Aprano (in his copious spare time)

01) QUOTES OF THE MONTH
02) EDITOR'S LETTER
03) GOOD OMENS RADIO PLAY UPDATES
04) ODDS AND SODS
05) DISCWORLD LEGO: FINALLY A POSSIBILITY
06) REVIEWS: GOOD OMENS ON THE WIRELESS
07) CORY DOCTOROW RE-EXAMINES MONSTROUS REGIMENT
08) REVIEW: PHILOSOPHY AND TERRY PRATCHETT
09) DISCWORLD GAMES NEWS
10) DISCWORLD CONVENTION NEWS
11) ALZHEIMER'S NEWS
12) DISCWORLD ARTS AND CRAFTS NEWS
13) DISCWORLD MEETING GROUPS NEWS
14) ROUNDWORLD TALES: POLLY PERKS IN REAL LIFE
15) IMAGES OF THE MONTH
16) CLOSE

01) QUOTE OF THE MONTH

""But the writer I'd most like to make time to solve all our problems
has to be Terry Pratchett. Down-to-earth, acerbic, skewerer of all
pomposity and hilarious to boot: there's no one better equipped to put
troubled souls back on the right track."

– journalist Alison Flood proposes Sir Pterry as an agony aunt

"In effect, one might claim that Granny Weatherwax is a Kantian (or Kant
is a Weatherwaxian)."

– Jennifer Jill Fellows waxes Weatherwax-ical in Philosophy and Terry
Pratchett, p.206

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

02) LETTER FROM YOUR EDITOR

In this issue you will find my rave review of the recent radio
adaptation of Good Omens (item 6). And speaking of Pratchett works on
the radio, the BBC has also recently presented an adaptation of Small
Gods; great fun, and like Good Omens, it's still available for listening
in all regions. Small Gods will run through the 31st of January. Here be
the page for listening: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00b1p28 – and
I'll be reviewing that in the next issue.

What you won't find in this issue is the full official Wossname review
of Philosophy and Terry Pratchett. This is not because my review copy
didn't arrive – it did, weeks ago, thanks to the very helpful Rebecca
Krahenbuhl of Macmillan – or because I didn't like it – this certainly
is not the case – or because I was ill, away, or plain lazy – yes to the
first two but that's irrelevant, no to the third. No, the reason that
I've not yet completed my review is because I've found that every one of
the thirteen long essays in four section has merited a lot of thought
and a fair amount of real-life discussion of the content and
implications of each with various people... but at last I am nearly
ready with my review, which will be posted in a supplement before the
end of the month. In the meantime, go to item 8 for a mini-review plus
amusing relevant placeholder.

Next month sees the USA release of Dragons at Crumbling Castle, at the
end of the first week of February if I'm not mistaken. This is a truly
delightful wee book, especially fun for reading aloud to children *and*
adults. Enjoy!

And now, on with the show...

– Annie Mac, Editor

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

03) GOOD OMENS THE RADIO PLAY: NEWS

The Radio Times published an interview with Good Omens co-author Neil
Gaiman. Like Gaiman's introduction to A Slip of the Keyboard, it's not
all sweetness and light – nor should it be. As he says of the
production, "Time is running out... I want Terry to be able to enjoy
this while he's still able to enjoy it."

Here be extracts:

"TV and cinema have had 25 years to adapt Good Omens, a cult hit
co-written well before Gaiman would be known for novels like Stardust or
find new fame with Doctor Who, and a few years before Terry Pratchett's
Discworld novels would see him become the biggest selling UK author of
the 1990s. The pair, friends since Gaiman interviewed Pratchett as a
journalist five years prior, would collaborate after the latter offered
to expand on an idea Gaiman had about the birth of the Antichrist. In
between their respective work on the Sandman comic book series and
Discworld (then merely a modest four novels in), they would navigate the
dark days before email by working together via phone and posting a
floppy disk back and forth – a process which, today, sounds like
something out of Downton Abbey... 'When Terry and I wrote it, we wrote
it very nervously,' Gaiman remembers. 'You're writing a book with the
Antichrist as the hero. You're writing a book where we were vaguely
worried if we were going to have to track down Salman Rushdie and ask to
sleep in his back room. Instead the book came out and people read it and
re-read it and re-read it. We'd seen copies of Good Omens at signings,
and they were books where it was impossible to have read it more than
they had read it. They would be swollen, the pages would be dirtied. One
lady turned up with a cover of loose pages in a plastic bag. So, just
from that, it was one of these slightly bizarre phenomenons that it
hadn't ever been successfully turned into anything... The saddest time
was seeing [Pratchett] in January 2002 when he had Robin Williams on
board to play Aziraphale and Johnny Depp was signed up for Crowley. He
had about 50 million dollars committed from around the world, and he
needed a Hollywood studio and a bit more money to go into production,
and he was completely certain it would be easy. But he went off to
America, post 9/11, and watched people telling him, because this was
before Pirates of the Caribbean, 'nobody wants to see movies with Johnny
Depp.' It all came crashing down around him and it was all very tragic.
It's not that people hadn't tried, but the stars just never aligned...'

"For any fan who ever turned up to a signing with their book in a bag,
the radio play itself is a joy, with hardly any of the prose's tone or
tongue-bursting-through-cheek humour lost in the transition. It is also,
miraculously, the 'most complete adaptation possible'. Even the book's
array of wry footnotes survive. It is, in short, bloody ace..."

http://bit.ly/1vn3fi4

...and here we have another piece in which Gaiman tells the story of how
Good Omens came to be written in the first place:

"I was a young journalist. He was a former journalist and Electricity
Board PR, and a writer who had just published his second Discworld
novel. I was the first journalist who had ever interviewed him. I
remember we made each other laugh a lot. We laughed at the same things.
We became friends. It was easy... an exchange in Marlowe's The Jew of
Malta, combined with a late night viewing of The Omen and a love of
Richmal Crompton's immortal Just William stories, had put a story into
my head, about a demonic baby-swap that goes wrong, in which the
Antichrist grows up to be a nice kid, with a dog and a gang. I wrote the
first 5,000 words of William the Antichrist. It had a demon named
Crawleigh. He drove a Citroen 2CV, and was ineffectual. Proper demons
like Hastur and Ligur loathed him. It had a baby swap. I sent it to a
few friends for feedback. Then my graphic novel Sandman happened, and it
was almost a year later that the phone rang. 'It's Terry,' said Terry.
''Ere. That thing you sent me. Are you doing anything with it?' 'Not
really.' 'Well, I think I know what happens next. Do you want to sell it
to me? Or write it together?' 'Write it together,' I said, because I was
not stupid, and because that was the nearest I was ever going to get to
Michelangelo phoning to ask if I wanted to paint a ceiling with him..."

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-30512620

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

04) ODDS AND SODS

4.1 The Science of Discworld 2 USA release!

Science of Discworld 2: The Globe is finally being released in USA –
this coming week! Copies will be available from 20th January in American
bookshops. Meanwhile, if you're waiting or if you live elsewhere on
Roundworld but never managed to purchase your copy of this delightful
book, you can read the first chapter of tSoD2 online, thanks to Tor who
have reprinted it with permission:

"Rincewind, Egregious Professor of Cruel and Unusual Geography, was
cataloguing his rock collection. This was, these days, the ground state
of his being. When he had nothing else to do, he sorted rocks. His
predecessors in the post had spent many years bringing back small
examples of cruel or unusual geography and had never had time to
catalogue them, so he saw this as his duty. Besides, it was wonderfully
dull. He felt that there was not enough dullness in the world..."

http://bit.ly/1BkFjDv

4.2 Long Earth 4 is The Long Utopia!

"The Long Utopia", fourth book in the Pratchett-Baxter "Long Earth"
series, will be published in early June 2015.

The long blurb:

"2045-2059. After the cataclysmic upheavals of Step Day and the
Yellowstone eruption humanity is spreading further into the Long Earth,
and society, on a battered Datum Earth and beyond, continues to evolve.
Now an elderly and cantankerous AI, Lobsang lives in disguise with Agnes
in an exotic, far-distant world. He's convinced they're leading a normal
life in New Springfield – they even adopt a child – but it seems they
have been guided there for a reason. As rumours of strange sightings and
hauntings proliferate, it becomes clear that something is very awry with
this particular world.

"Millions of steps away, Joshua is on a personal journey of discovery:
learning about the father he never knew and a secret family history. But
then he receives a summons from New Springfield. Lobsang now understands
the enormity of what's taking place beneath the surface of his earth – a
threat to all the worlds of the Long Earth.

"To counter this threat will require the combined efforts of humankind,
machine and the super-intelligent Next. And some must make the ultimate
sacrifice..."

4.3 Are orangutans people? Of course they are!

A court in Argentina has ruled that Sandra, a Sumatran orangutan, is a
non-human person with equivalent human rights, and as such no longer
needs to reside in the Buenos Aires zoo:

"Sandra's case was taken up in November 2013 by the Association of
Professional Lawyers for Animal Rights (AFADA). The lawyers argued that
Sandra was intelligent and self-aware enough to understand and be
negatively affected by her conditions, as well as being aware of the
passage of time. The court agreed, and the judges unanimously voted in
favor of a writ of habeas corpus for Sandra, deciding that she had been
wrongfully imprisoned... Sandra was born nearly 29 years ago at a zoo in
Berlin, Germany. For the last two decades, she has resided at the zoo in
Buenos Aires. This lifetime of captivity is now coming to an end, as the
court has decided she is free to leave the zoo and be relocated to a
Brazilian wildlife sanctuary that will more accurately reflect the
natural habitat of Sumatran orangutans... Though Sandra's case was
successful in Argentina, similar cases in the United States have not
been. Most recently, a NY court decided that a chimpanzee named Tommy
who is privately owned did not qualify for legal personhood..."

http://bit.ly/1xFPbGn

4.3 The art and science of scientifically artistic science fiction!

An interesting piece by Susan Stepney in The Guardian, about writers of
scientifically accurate SF:

"Many scientists and engineers acknowledge that science fiction helped
to spark their imagination of what was possible in science (immersion in
the genre from a young age might help explain why I now research
unconventional computers). And science fiction authors are inspired by
future science possibilities. But how do novel scientific ideas get into
SF authors' heads in the first place?... Sometimes, authors just make
things up, but untutored imaginings tend not to make the best science
fiction. SF authors can ease their research burden by consulting the
scientists. Jack Cohen, a reproductive biologist, has helped James White
design his four-letter classification for alien species (we humans are
DBDG), retconned Anne MacCaffrey’s dragons for her, and designed the
life cycle of the grendels in Niven, Pournelle and Barnes's series The
Legacy of Heorot.

"Writing, be it fiction or non-fiction, is usually a solitary task, but
scientists often write in teams, each member bringing their own skill
set to the collaboration. At one extreme we have Observation of a new
particle in the search for the Standard Model Higgs boson with the ATLAS
detector at the LHC by The ATLAS Collaboration, which boasts more than
3,000 authors, listed over eight pages; the text has an average of fewer
than six words per named author. Most research papers are written by
significantly fewer co-authors than that, but collaborative writing is
the norm in science. There are also SF writing teams: brothers, spouses,
or just colleagues. Some teams consist of a more established author
providing some of the ideas, or even just the background world, and a
younger up-and-coming author who does most of the writing work – not too
dissimilar to a PhD supervisor and student, really. Team writing can
also help the infusion of science ideas into SF. Pair an SF author and a
scientist, and see what results. One great example of this approach is
the quartet of Science of Discworld books by Terry Pratchett, Ian
Stewart, and Jack Cohen. In each book, Pratchett writes a short
Discworld novel that exhibits some scientific properties of interest; in
alternating chapters, Stewart and Cohen then explain the underlying
science..."

http://tinyurl.com/pru6pab

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

05) DISCWORLD LEGO: POSSIBLE AT LAST

Congratulations to GlenBricker, whose impassioned appeal to Discworld
fans to support his "make Discworld Lego an official thing" project has
now amassed the 10,000 supporters needed for Lego to officially move
towards creating a Lego Discworld set!

Here is Lego's official response to the tally:

"Dear GlenBricker,

"Time has passed, which, basically, is its job, and now the Discworld
project has arrived at 10,000 supporters. Congratulations! You've done
well engaging Discworld fans online and getting the vote out for this
rather unique project, featuring the Discworld itself and associated key
character vignettes. At this we are thrilled to officially advance your
project to the Review stage. In the mean time, don't get any funny ideas
from staring at eggs and oranges ... or you'll go sailing off the edge!

"What happens now? This project moves from the Idea stage to the Review
stage. A "LEGO Review Board" composed of designers, product managers,
and other key team members will examine the idea. We'll build concept
models and determine if the concept meets our high standards for what it
takes to be a LEGO product. This includes factors such as playability,
safety, and fit with the LEGO brand. Every potential LEGO product goes
through a process like this and must meet the same standards.

"This project qualifies for the First 2015 Review, which includes
projects that reach 10,000 supporters between early January and early
May. For more information about the LEGO review process, please see the
Project Guidelines and House Rules. The review is a thorough process and
from its start, and can take several months. When finished, we make a
"go/no go" decision to develop and sell a product based on the The
Discworld project. When the review is complete, we will inform you of
our decision. If green-lit, this project goes into the longest phase of
the project; the Development phase. During this time, LEGO model
designers refine the product and develop it for release, we create the
product materials (box, instructions, marketing), and get everything
ready for a production run. This also takes several months.

"We will post follow-up information and our decision here."

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/36302/official_comments

...and an article about it on Wired:

"The Discworld is the first project of 2015 to hit the required numbers
and go forward for consideration for production. It's easy to see why,
as it's a remarkable recreation of the setting for Terry Pratchett's
beloved comic fantasy series of novels. The geography of the surface
world is delightfully evoked in tiny brick form, and the four elephants
and turtle – Great A'Tuin, to fans – are particularly striking. The set
comes courtesy of designer GlenBricker (Lego Ideas log in required), who
also created the Doctor Who set that is already under consideration.
It's been a long time coming, first submitted over two years ago, but
with a steady outreach campaign to both Discworld and Lego fans, it's
close to approval..."

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2015-01/12/lego-discworld

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

06) REVIEWS: GOOD OMENS ON THE WIRELESS

6.1 THE RISING BOOKSELLER MEETS THE FALLEN ANGEL, AND IT ROCKS LIKE A
ROCKING THING: A REVIEW OF GOOD OMENS

By Annie Mac

I have never been a fan of radio plays. Having tried a fair few across a
number of genres, I always found that the picture of actors gathered
round a microphone, scripts in hand, in a recording studio's vocal booth
never left the forefront of my mind, and that persistent image would
fray my suspenders of disbelief to snapping point; in fact, the only
time I'd ever found a radio serial that *didn't* fray them was some
thirty-five years ago when The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was
first broadcast. Sadly, when I listened to the first episode of the BBC
radio play of Good Omens, that fraying effect came into play once more,
and my disappointed comment to 'im indoors was along the lines of "I can
see the script, but at least they read it well." But knowing that I was
duty-bound to listen to and review the entire work, I transferred all
six episodes to my Portable Dis-Organiser, slapped on a good set of
full-ear headphones, and...

Yowzah!

This one is a beauty. This is a work of aural art that rises to the
level of The Hitchhiker's Guide. This is... argh, come on Auntie Beeb,
please please release this on CD *right now*!

If I had to choose just one thing about Good Omens: the Wireless Version
to praise, it would be that it manages to bring the entire book to life
without sacrificing any important bits or chopping and changing anything
beyond recognition. The dialogue is verbatim, but far more importantly,
the *essence* – the *feel* – of the source material is there in all its
comedic glory. This is a harder thing to achieve than you might think:
when it comes to transforming novels for the screen, for example, there
are many instances of productions that were entirely faithful to the
original book but seem flat and static, and also instances of the
essence of a book being retained but only by making radical changes to
the original plot and dialogue... so to get Good Omens so deliciously
right is an achievement of high order. Of course, I shouldn't have been
surprised, since this adaptation of Good Omens is by the rather awesome
Dirk Maggs, who co-wrote and co-produced the original Hitchhiker's Guide
radio serial.

The cast were almost entirely superb. Not a rum 'un in the bunch, but
for me the standouts were Peter Serafinowicz as Crowley (gets my Best
Actor of the Production award), Clive Russell as Shadwell (Man of the
Match!), Julia Deakin as Madame Tracey, Josie Lawrence as Agnes Nutter
(brilliantly used as a sort of postvital narrator), Colin Morgan as Newt
Pulsifer, and Charlotte Ritchie as Anathema Device. Bouquets go to
Rachel Stirling (War), Jim Norton (Death), Ron Cook as the intrepid
International Delivery Man, and Phil Davis and Neil Maskell doing their
best Two Rons impression as Hastur and Ligur; special mention also goes
to the Four Other Horsemen as played by Mitch Benn (Big Ted), Ben Crowe
(Greaser), Arsher Ali (Pigbog), and Mark Benton (Scuzz). An affectionate
nod goes to Simon Jones (beloved by all of us olde-tyme Hitchhiker's
Guide fans as the voice – and body, in the charming old BBC telly
dramatisation – of Arthur Dent) as Mr Young, Adam's non-biological
father. And the only reason that Mark Heap's turn as Aziraphale is
missing from this list of honours is that he did such a good job of
impersonating Anthony Stewart Head that I kept longing for Head himself
to materialise in my mental film of the play. (And by the way, the
authors' turn as ill-fated coppers chasing Crowley on the motorway was
simply adorable.)

The pacing is flawless throughout the six episodes, the build of the
story judged just right. By the time the climax of the story arrived in
the final extra-length episode, I was grinning with delight. Kudos to
producer Heather Larmour, and for that matter, to everyone on the sound
team for making Good Omens a triumph of radio art.

Trivia: fans of Doctor Who may recognise Mr Briggs as the voice(s) of
the Daleks, Cybermen, and various other Whoverse aliens, and likewise
Rachel Stirling as Mrs Gillyflower's blind daughter in the episode The
Crimson Horror.

A few small quibbles: I wish the cast hadn't decided to pronounce our
favourite demons name as "CROW-ley", which, if it *is* the authors'
choice of pronunciation, must have come as a shock to the many millions
of us who have been pronouncing it happily as "KRAU-ley, you know, like
Aleister" for nearly a quarter-century now – it certainly did to me. I
was likewise a bit uncomfortable with the way "Aziraphale" seemed to be
randomly pronounced as "Azira-FELL" rather than the
familiar-to-us-millions*** – and more usually used – "Azira-FAIL". But
those quibbles are small in the light of the overall excellence of the
production.

Congratulations all around to the creators of Good Omens the radio play.
I imagine – hope! – this one will run and run as repeats on BBC radio.
Now about those CDs...

[*** apart from my friend Sacharissa, who was astonished to find herself
the only one I've ever known who thought it was supposed to be
pronounced as AHH-zuh-RAH-ful-lee". No, really. – Ed.]

*

And a review by Melissa Baron on Chicago Now:

"Something magical happened over Christmas week on BBC Radio. BBC
adapted and dramatized Good Omens into a radio broadcast comprised of
six episodes. Starting the Monday before Christmas, one episode was
released each night, covering the entire book (well, as much as they can
for a radio broadcast). English actor Mark Heap voices Aziraphale, the
angel, and English actor Peter Serafinowicz (you might recall him as
Denarian from "Guardians of the Galaxy" and Pete from "Shaun of the
Dead") as Crowley, the demon... t is seriously delightful. I laughed out
loud often, and I gotta tell you, Serafinowicz was a fantastic choice
for Crowley. I could listen to him rattle off the ingredients from a
cookbook..."

And she also reprints the legendary "Heaven has no taste" conversation
between Crowley and Aziraphale, so unless you happen to have that page
marked in your own dead tree copy of Good Omens, it's worth visiting the
link:

http://bit.ly/1sNnslt

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

07) MONSTROUS REGIMENT REDUX: AN ANALYSIS BY CORY DOCTOROW

Cory Doctorow, science fiction author par excellence and major Pratchett
fanboy, thinks Monstrous Regiment may well be the finest Discworld novel:

"Monstrous Regiment's cast of characters are almost all unique to this
book – there's a few Ankh Morporkians who play a pivotal role, but they
are introduced as strangers to Polly and her comrades – meaning that no
prior knowledge of the series is necessary to enjoy it. And enjoy it you
will, I think. This novel shows off all of Pratchett's strengths to best
light. First of all is his capacity for marvellous bathos: that is,
countersinking serious, emotional moments with slapsticks, puns and
light humor, keeping the mood swinging all around the compass, poking
you in places you didn't know you had. Secondly, there's his
characterization, which is epic. Pratchett fans love his people, and
these people are some of his most lovable. And finally, there's the
plotting, which is drum-tight, as the book reveals surprise after
surprise, right up the very ending... Like all of Pratchett's best work,
this one has its roots in classical material: the 16th century
misogynist tract First Blast of the Trumpet Against the Monstrous
Regiment of Women, the folk-song Sweet Polly Oliver, and, of course, the
story of Joan of Arc. But like all of Pratchett's best work, this book
bridges its classical sources to the present day, bringing feminist and
trans themes to light along with contemporary ideas about religious
wars, militarism, mercantilism and geopolitics..."

http://boingboing.net/2015/01/05/monstrous-regiment-the-finest.html

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

08) REVIEW: PHILOSOPHY AND TERRY PRATCHETT

...or not. But it's coming! For now I shall hold this space with a
deathless little ditty by numerous persons called Bruce, aka Eric Idle.
For those of you who might not be familiar with Monty Python's
(in)famous "Philosophers' Song", I imagine YouTube will provide...

"Immanuel Kant was a real pissant
Who was very rarely stable
Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar
Who could think you under the table
David Hume could out-consume
Schopenhauer and Hegel
And Wittgenstein was a beery swine
Who was just as sloshed as Schlegel

"There's nothing Nietzsche couldn't teach ya
'Bout the raising of the wrist.
Socrates himself was permanently pissed

"John Stuart Mill, of his own free will,
On half a pint of shandy was particularly ill
Plato, they say, could stick it away
Half a crate of whiskey every day
Aristotle, Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle
Hobbes was fond of his dram
And Rene Descartes was a drunken fart ('I drink, therefore I am')
Yes, Socrates himself is particularly missed
A lovely little thinker but a bugger when he's pissed!"

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

09) DISCWORLD GAMES NEWS

The Backspindle gang wishes all Discworld fans a Happy New Year! And
have ushered in the new year with a new newsletter – their very first!
The link to it is below, but here is the most exciting part for
Discworld fans:

"We have commissioned the wonderful Amber Grundy to create the artwork
for Clacks. The cooperative game rules have been finalised and the game
is due for release in summer 2015... A pre-order will be established in
April 2015."

Here is the news, um, newsletter:

http://bit.ly/1GdEr6H

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

10) DISCWORLD CONVENTION NEWS

10.1 NULLAS ANXIETAS UPDATES

Danny and the Nullus gang write:

On April 10-12, 2015 in beautiful Parramatta, Sydney, NSW, Australia,
you will experience the magic of MOVING PICTURES with a range of
delightful activities for all types of Discworld fans.

* Special Guests Colin Smythe (in person!) and Rob Wilkins (via Omniscope!)
* Meet the stars of the silver screen at the Gala Dinner!
* Show off your costuming and/or acting skills in the "I Wanna Be A
Star" Maskerade and XXXX Factor!
* Participate in Studio activities to ensure you make the best clickies
possible!
* Test your knowledge of Discworld and Movies and their influence on
each other in our Quiz!
* Support the Orang-utan Foundation and the Aboriginal Literacy
Foundation at the Charity Auction!
* Be crafty with chain maille, knitting, card-making and more!
* Can you sing? Dance? Handle a sword a little? Learn all these skills
and more at our workshops!
* And much much more! With one thousand elephants!

For information on all of the above in a lot more detail, head over to
our website at http://ausdwcon.org

You can even get a lovely NAV t-shirt and coffee cup too! (Shipping to
Australia and the UK): http://ausdwcon.org/shop/souvenirs/

www.facebook.com/Ausdwcon
https://twitter.com/NullusAnxietasV

10.2 NADWCON 2015 UPDATES

 From the Seamstresses:

"The Discworld panels and events will be spread throughout the five days
of this convention. DW meets are planned via various guilds, as well. A
Discworld / Steampunk dance is being discussed for the first night. A DW
parade has been proposed. The (in)famous Seamstress Guild party will be
at least one night, and perhaps every night, if we have enough
volunteers to help. DW fans will be active in the Art Show, as well as
the fabulous Worldcon costuming events and workshops. We hoping to help
organize a pub crawl or two, as well. There will be workshops and
classes and filking around DW themes, and a YA track, as well. And then
you'll have 5,000 people from all over the world - many of whom are DW
fans we haven't met yet - to play with in a gorgeous setting. (Don't
even get me started on their Dealer Room). Because this is a Worldcon,
fans will hear panelists and speakers we could never get at a NADWCon.
And Old friends will be coming as well. Worldcons always offer
fascinating programs for anyone who loves stories. We hope you can join
us. If you want to help make this a memorable event for DW fans, please
consider volunteering. It's a great way to make new friends."

And from Sasquan:

"Various North American Discworld Guilds have been invited to organize
and host Discworld fan meets at Sasquan and these include: The
Seamstress Guild (famous for its parties, it has many decorators,
costumers and performers among its members), the Alchemists (our science
minds), the Cunning Artificers (arts & crafts), Discworld Musicians and
Singers (for filking and other fun), Engravers & Printers (our writers
and editors), the Dark Clerks (folks who like to organize both paper and
people behind the scenes), our fabulous Bakers (lovers of food and drink
who may be leading some of our pub crawls), the Witches & Wizards
(cunning women and men who love history, myth, and folklore), various DW
Family Groups, the Black Ribboners (DW folks in recovery), and more.

"The North American Seamstress Guild will be hosting its famous parties
at this convention, and a Discworld exhibit will be mounted in the
convention's Exhibition Room. Discworld fans are invited to submit their
art to the Sasquan Art Show, and costumers should consider entering the
famous Worldcon Costume Masquerade. The Programming and Events
departments are working with notable fans and attendees from around the
world to create a fascinating Discworld-themed track for fans."

https://www.facebook.com/sasquan

To purchase your membership for Sasquan, go to
https://sasquan.swoc.us/sasquan/reg.php

10.3 CABBAGECON 2015 UPDATES

This year's theme will be the Assassins' Guild orientation weekend:

"Ever wanted to be a member of one of the most prestigious guilds in
Ankh Morpork?  Now is your chance!  The famous Assassins' Guild has
announced that their orientation weekend in 2015 will be held at
Cabbagecon 3, the Dutch Discworld convention. Representatives of four of
the Guild Houses will be present at the convention to see if the
convention members have the skills and dress sense necessary to make it
as an Assassin. Our guest of honour is translator Venugopalan Ittekot,
who will give an exclusive presentation about a very special project."

Cabbagecon 3

When: 27th and 28th June 2015
Venue: Golden Tulip Hotel, Val Monte, Berg en Dal (near Nijmegen, not
far from the eastern border)
Tickets: €40,00 (children, seniors, students €35)

http://www.dutchdwcon.nl

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

11) ALZHEIMER'S NEWS

11.1 RUNNING FOR ALZHEIMER'S RESEARCH

Spare a thought for PCA sufferer Paul Bulmer, who ran the Essar Four
Villages Half Marathon last Sunday (18th January 2015). Mr Bulmer, a
former IT consultant who was diagnosed with PCA in 2012, said, "Although
I've had to give up my job, stop driving and need help with many
day-to-day things, I like to concentrate on what I can do rather than
what I can't. I have always been a runner, purely for pleasure. Now I
run with guide runners because of my visual processing difficulties.
It's a challenge these days, but I want to run for as long as I am able.
My diagnosis has closed many doors for me but I've been pleased to find
it's opened others. My local running club has taken me to heart and I've
made new friends as a result. The only answer to dementia is research
and I plan to do everything I can to help Alzheimer's Research UK find
the preventions and treatments so urgently needed."

Last year Mr Bulmer completed the 2014 race accompanied by Paul Eccles
and support runners David and Stephen Wiggins from Helsby Running Club,
in a time of 1.07:31. On that occasion he raised more than £600 for the
charity and hopes to raise far more in 2015.

 From the Chester Chronicle:

"Jodie Vaughan, community fundraising manager at Alzheimer’s Research
UK, praised Paul’s spirit and commitment. 'We couldn't be more grateful
to Paul for taking on the Four Villages Half Marathon for Alzheimer’s
Research UK and we wish him every success on the day,' she said. 'He's a
true inspiration to many and is proof that a dementia diagnosis doesn't
have to stop you leading a rewarding and fulfilling life. Every £20 Paul
raises is enough to pay for an hour of pioneering research, bringing us
closer to finding ways to diagnose, prevent, treat and cure Alzheimer's
disease and other forms of dementia.'"

To sponsor Paul, visit www.justgiving.com/paul-bulmer2

For more information about Alzheimer's Research UK, or to find out more
about fundraising for the charity, call 0300 111 5555 or visit
www.alzheimersresearchuk.org

http://bit.ly/1IVs634

11.2 SLOW DEATH, WITH DIGNITY

The normally irritating-as-an-irritating-thing journalist and author
Bryan Appleyard has written a very good article on a number of arts
giants who have chosen who rage – or joke – against the dying of *their*
light. The main focus is on the slow fade of mighty Clive James, but
here be a relevant bit:

"The fantasy writer Terry Pratchett may have been less fortunate with
his diagnosis of Alzheimer’s in 2007, because that condition will stop
him writing well before the end. But the very fact that he blithely
called the disease an “embuggerance” suggested continuing creativity,
and, indeed, until recently he has been bouncing along with writerly
good humour. He was, immediately after the diagnosis, startled to find
this quality still intact. 'The day after I had been diagnosed,' he told
me, 'I was working in the garden and I suddenly realised I was whistling
... there is this sort of inner well of humour or good nature, there is
some kind of insuppressible source of good humour that I can’t actually
manage to get rid of'..."

It's a good, strong piece, originally published in the Sunday Times. I
would say "recommended reading" and give you a link, but sadly in the
time it took me to come back to the article to grab a quote, Evil Uncle
Rupert's minions stuck it behind a paywall. And there I was, about to
post the link with a comment that I have – for many decades – found the
Australian-born Mr James such an awe-inspiring tower of intellectual
acumen and brilliant wordsmithing that he almost makes up for the
existence of Australian-born Rupert Murdoch. If I were in charge of The
Duty, I know for certain which one of them I'd choose to reap first and
which one would be given a sly top-up of sand in his lifetimer. So it
goes... – Ed.

11.3 NEW TECHNIQUE FOR EARLY ALZHEIMER'S DETECTION

In SciTech Daily:

"No methods currently exist for the early detection of Alzheimer's
disease, which affects one out of nine people over the age of 65. Now,
an interdisciplinary team of Northwestern University scientists and
engineers has developed a noninvasive MRI approach that can detect the
disease in a living animal. And it can do so at the earliest stages of
the disease, well before typical Alzheimer's symptoms appear. Led by
neuroscientist William L. Klein and materials scientist Vinayak P.
Dravid, the research team developed an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging)
probe that pairs a magnetic nanostructure (MNS) with an antibody that
seeks out the amyloid beta brain toxins responsible for onset of the
disease. The accumulated toxins, because of the associated magnetic
nanostructures, show up as dark areas in MRI scans of the brain. This
ability to detect the molecular toxins may one day enable scientists to
both spot trouble early and better design drugs or therapies to combat
and monitor the disease. And, while not the focus of the study, early
evidence suggests the MRI probe improves memory, too, by binding to the
toxins to render them 'handcuffed' to do further damage..."

http://bit.ly/1BMFqXv

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

12) DISCWORLD ARTS AND CRAFTS NEWS

12.1 PAUL KIDBY'S "DISCWORLD MASSIF" LIMITED EDITION: COPIES STILL AVAILABLE

"This is a unique collectors print featuring 77 favourite characters
from the realms of Terry Pratchett's Discworld. Each print is hand
signed and numbered and the edition is limited to only 2000 copies
worldwide. Dimensions: 714mm x 475 mm. Prints will be despatched rolled
in tissue in a postal tube."

Prices are UK £50, Europe £55, Rest of World £60

http://www.paulkidby.net/index.php/shop/art-shop

12.2 DISCWORLD EMPORIUM 2015 UPDATES

Some superb new merchandise for 2015!

The official Sonky Poster ("cheaper than children")!

"Add a touch of light relief to your walls with a cheeky Discworld
poster from Ankh-Morpork's famous Sonky Bros! Originally featured in the
Compleat Ankh-Morpork, this humorous advertisement for Ankh-Morpork's
renowned purveyors of rubber goods has been recreated as a traditional
wall poster by popular demand! Printed for us the old fashioned way by
the folk at Stamp Press, each poster has been lovingly screenprinted for
your pleasure onto heavyweight textured fine art card. Each poster
measures 300 x 420mm. Shipped in a sturdy postal tube."

Priced at £10.00 each. For more information, images, and to order, go to
http://www.discworldemporium.com/Sonky%20Poster

The sword of a certain anthropomorphic personification!

"A weapon that can reap royal souls, slice shadows and cut through air,
sound and time! This magnificent miniature replica of DEATH's sword is
cast in pewter with a dead cool satin finish! Featuring exquisitely
detailed skull motifs, bone hilt, and Death's own personal Infinite
Omega monogram, this fantastical weapon is self supporting, with a
double hilt enabling it to be easily and stylishly displayed on your
geek shelf! Sword Measures 155mm x 42mm and is presented in a Discworld
Emporium gift box. Made for us by award-winning craftsmen in
Birmingham's historic Jewellery Quarter."

Priced at £25.00 each. For more information, images, and to order, go to
http://www.discworldemporium.com/DeathSword

The Great Lighthouse of Ephebe stamp minisheet!

This cultural issue from the Ankh-Morpork Post Office celebrates the
beacon of hope, and more recently inevitable despair that greets
mariners to the ancient city of Ephebe. Since its Relocation inshore,
the Great Lighthouse provides entertainment to stranded sailors awaiting
rescue. Created to a design by Pythagonal using the Golden Rule and the
five Aesthetic Principles, it is a marble monolith of undisputed beauty
and cultural importance.
Each sheet and presentation card are standard A6 postcard size for ease
of display, the sheet consists of six stamps measuring 35 x 38mm."

Priced at £5.00 each. For more information, images, and to order, go to
http://www.discworldemporium.com/Lighthouse%20of%20Ephebe%20Minisheet

The Emporium says, "Wishing you all a fantastical year ahead."

http://bit.ly/1KT0TC0

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

13) DISCWORLD MEETING GROUPS NEWS

The Broken Drummers, "London's Premier Unofficially Official Discworld
Group" (motto "Nil percussio est"), meets on the first Monday of every
month at the Monkey Puzzle, 30 Southwick Street, London W2 1JQ: "We
welcome anyone and everyone who enjoys Sir Terry's works, or quite likes
them or wants to find out more. We have had many visitors from overseas
who have enjoyed themselves and made new friends. The discussions do not
only concern the works of Sir Terry Pratchett but wander and meander
through other genres and authors and also leaping to TV and Film
production. We also find time for a quiz. The prize is superb. The
chance to set the quiz the following month. If you enter via the beer
garden, you will find us at the opposite end of the pub. If you have any
problems, the staff can direct you."

Next meeting: Monday 2nd February 2015

The Drummers' January meet report:

"So Drummers met on Monday. I always expect low numbers in January but
in the end we had a pretty good turnout.
Having put off writing the meeting report for a few days I am struggling
to remember what happened.Tim W. did a quiz on New Year. Eunice was the
clear winner due to her knowledge of the Chinese Zodiac. She has agreed
to do the next quiz.
I also recall a conversation about Bill becoming like the gamekeeper in
Lady Chatterley's lover. Funny the things that stick in your mind."

For more information, go to http://brokendrummers.org/ or email
BrokenDrummers at gmail.com or nicholls.helen at yahoo.co.uk

*

The Pratchett Partisans are a new fan group who meet monthly at either
Brisbane or Indooroopilly to "eat, drink and chat about all things
Pratchett". Forthcoming events include a dinner and games night on the
29th of January. For more info about their next meetup, go to
www.meetup.com/Pratchett-Partisans/ or contact Ula directly at
uwilmott at yahoo.com.au

*

The City of Small Gods is a group for fans in Adelaide and South
Australia: "We have regular monthly dinner and games nights, longer
games days, plus play outings, craft-y workshops, and fun social
activities throughout the year. For more info and to join our mailing
list, visit http://cityofsmallgods.org.au "

*

The Broken Vectis Drummers meet on the first Thursday of every month
from 7.30pm at The Castle pub in Newport, Isle of Wight.

Next meeting: Thursday 5th February 2015, probably, but do email to check.

All new members and curious passersby are very welcome! For more info
and any queries, contact broken_vectis_drummers at yahoo.co.uk

*

The Wincanton Omnian Temperance Society (WOTS) meets on the first Friday
of every month at Wincanton's famous Bear Inn from 7pm onwards.
"Visitors and drop-ins are always welcome!"

Next meeting: Friday 6th February 2015 (probably).

*

The Northern Institute of the Ankh-Morpork and District Society of
Flatalists, a Pratchett fangroup, has been meeting on a regular basis
since 2005 but is now looking to take in some new blood (presumably not
in the non-reformed Uberwald manner). The Flatalists normally meet at
The Narrowboat Pub in Victoria Street, Skipton, North Yorkshire, to
discuss "all things Pratchett" as well as having quizzes and raffles.

Details of future meetings are posted on the Events section of the
Discworld Stamps forum:

http://www.discworldstamps.co.uk/forum/

*

Sydney Drummers (formerly Drummers Downunder) meet on the first Monday
of every month in Sydney at 3 Wise Monkeys, 555 George Street, Sydney,2000.

Next meeting: Monday 2nd February at 6.30pm (probably). For more
information, contact Sue (aka Granny Weatherwax): kenworthys at yahoo.co.uk

*

The Treacle Mining Corporation, formerly known as Perth Drummers, meet
on the first Monday of the month (subject to holidays) at the
child-friendly Carpe Cafe, 526 Murray Street, Perth, Western Australia.

Next meeting: from 5.30pm on Monday 2nd February 2015 (probably).

For details follow Perth Drummers on Twitter @Perth_Drummers and
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/Perth.Drummers/ – otherwise
message Alexandra Ware directly at <alexandra.ware at gmail.com>

*

Western Drummers, also based in Sydney, meet at The Rowers, Nepean
Rowing Club, Bruce Neal Drive, Penrith at 6.30-7.30pm for food, 7.30pm
for games, quizzes and chat: "If you have never been, please come on
down. You would be very welcome. We eat, have a drink, talk Discworld
and play board games. Starts kind of 6 – 6.30ish and finishes kind of
9pm ish."

Next meeting: as there was a meeting last week, the next will probably
be in mid-January. For more information, contact Nanny Ogg –
lewis_oz at bigpond.com – or visit their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/westerndrummers

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

14) ROUNDWORLD TALES: POLLY PERKS IN REAL LIFE

Milunka Savic, the most-decorated female combatant in the entire history
of warfare, fought in the Balkan Wars and in World War I. Born in 1890
in Serbia, Savic led a "normal" girl's life until her brother was called
to service in the Second Balkan War; like Polly Perks, she cut off her
hair, put on men's clothing and went off to join the army, but unlike
Polly she did so in her brother's place. She received her first medal
almost immediately and was promoted to the rank of corporal in the
Battle of Bregalnica, but when she was wounded in battle her "secret
identity" was revealed.

Amazingly, her commanding officer refrained from punishing Savic in any
way because she had already been in ten battles and had an outstanding
record as a soldier. But the Serbian army was equally reluctant to send
a known young woman back into battle. According to one source, "She was
offered a transfer to the Nursing division. Savic stood at attention and
insisted she only wanted to fight for her country as a combatant. The
officer said he'd think it over and give her his answer the next day.
Still standing at attention, Savic responded, 'I will wait.' It is said
he only made her stand an hour before agreeing to send her back to the
infantry."

Savic won a number of medals in the first world war – she was the only
female to win the Croix de Guerre with Gold Palm for the 191401918 war.
After being demobbed in 1919 she faded from public notice and was not
rediscovered until the late 1960s. By then she was living in some
difficulty, but the public reaction to her early military prowess
resulted in Savic being given a house and a pension. Savic died in 1973
at the age of 84; no item of clothing or equipment bears her name, but
there is a street in Belgrade named for her.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

15) IMAGES OF THE MONTH

Happy New Year from Paul Kidby's Hamish the Aviator (complete with
Tiffany Aching's underwear parachute):
http://bit.ly/15cbszO

Marvellously moody portrait of Nanny Ogg and Greebo, by Marc Simonetti:
http://bit.ly/1xVTjlD

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

16) CLOSE

Just before I hit Send, let's look back to Tony Adler's finely written
review in the Chicago Reader of Lifeline Theatre's production of
Monstrous Regiment last July. Includes a good cast photo, too:

http://bit.ly/1udRCPT

As hedgehogs are dear to all Discworld fans, we note that Barbara
Roberts, founder of the Withington Hedgehog Trust, has been awarded a
British Empire Medal in recognition of her work.

And that's the lot for now. See you soon, with more news and reviews!

– Annie Mac

Remember, the mirror version of this issue can be viewed at
http://wossname.dreamwidth.org/7029.html

The End. If you have any questions or requests, write: wossname-owner
(at) pearwood (dot) info