Wossname -- March 2015 -- Main issue --Remembering Sir Terry Pratchett

News and reviews about the works of Sir Terry Pratchett wossname at pearwood.info
Tue Mar 17 12:16:06 AEDT 2015

Wossname
March 2015 (Volume 18, Issue 3, Post 3)

WOSSNAME is a free publication offering news, reviews, and all the other
stuff-that-fits pertaining to the works and activities of Sir Terry
Pratchett. Originally founded by the late, great Joe Schaumburger for
members of the worldwide Klatchian Foreign Legion and its affiliates,
including the North American Discworld Society and other continental
groups, Wossname is now for Discworld and Pratchett fans everywhere in
Roundworld.

Editor in Chief: Annie Mac
News Editor: Vera P
Newshounds: Mogg, Sir J of Croydon Below, the Shadow, Wolfiekins
Staff Writers: Asti, Pitt the Elder, Evil Steven Dread, Mrs Wynn-Jones
Staff Technomancers: Jason Parlevliet, Archchancellor Neil, DJ Helpful
Book Reviews: Annie Mac, Drusilla D'Afanguin, Your Name Here
Puzzle Editor: Tiff (still out there somewhere)
Emergency Staff: Steven D'Aprano, Jason Parlevliet
World Membership Director: Steven D'Aprano (in his copious spare time)

01) EDITOR'S LETTER: REMEMBERING SIR TERRY PRATCHETT
02) SOME SELECTED QUOTES
03) HOW THE WORLD TOLD US THE NEWS
04) SOME SELECTED TRIBUTES
05) MY FATHER, BY RHIANNA PRATCHETT
06) SENDING HOME: IMMORTALITY VIA ROUNDWORLD'S CLACKS
07) DONATIONS TO RICE CENTRE
08) SOME SELECTED IMAGES
09) CLOSE

01) A LETTER FROM YOUR EDITOR

Dear Readers,

After almost five days of reading, gathering and compositing to the best
of my ability other people's words about the untimely death of Sir Terry
Pratchett, I find I am at a loss to add my own yet. There will be a
second March issue at the end of the month; but for now, speaking for
Wossname, I present the words and thoughts and images of the world's
reaction to the passing of one of the greatest writers – and greatest
humanists – our roundish world has ever seen.

Here is an image, by Farlander, that perhaps says it best:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B_9ymNUWgAAKdHh.jpg

Another image, by Sandara, beautiful if more sombre:

http://bit.ly/1NUiPNV

Here is the official Terry Pratchett Facebook page, with tributes:

https://www.facebook.com/pratchett/posts/10152645359765025:0

Here is a list of programmes, as BBC Radio 4 remembers the man and author:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02ltvn2

Wossname's special thanks go to Lynsey Dalladay aka Lynsey from
Transworld, for organising the Just Giving fundraising page for RICE in
Sir Pterry's honour:

https://www.justgiving.com/Terry-Pratchett/  (see item 7 for more details)

To you, the fans who supported his work and spread his name with so much
passion: he belonged to you once. He belongs to the world now. You made
that possible.

– Annie Mac, Editor

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

02) THE QUOTES

"Many thanks for all the kind words about my dad. Those last few tweets
were sent with shaking hands and tear-filled eyes."
– Rhianna Pratchett

"There was nobody like him. I was fortunate to have written a book with
him, when we were younger, which taught me so much."
– Neil Gaiman

"No writer in my lifetime has given me as much pleasure and happiness.
He could do knockabout for schoolboys (and girls) but he was also subtle
and wise and very funny in the adult world. I loved him because almost
all the characters he didn't like slowly grew more real, more
interesting, more complicated perhaps to his own surprise. He could
write evil if he needed to, but if he didn't his characters surprised us
and him. His prose was layered: there was a mischievous surface, and a
layer of complicated running jokes, and something steely and
uncompromising that turned the reader cold from time to time. He was my
unlikely hero, and saved me from disaster more than once by making me
laugh and making me think."
– A S Byatt

"It was a lot of fun to be around him. His skewed view of the world was
there in everything. He was always looking at things in a different way,
like a cracked mirror perspective."
– Stephen Briggs

"His creativity bought so much inspiration and joy to so many of us. It
was an honour and privilege to work with him and I owe him a great debt
of gratitude. May he rest in peace."
– Paul Kidby

"Terry was a class of his own in so many ways; other people will write
about his wisdom and his skills as an author. I remember his kindness to
his fans. No letters went unanswered and every person in a bookshop
signing queue got his full attention even if he and they had been there
for many hours."
– Bernard Pearson

"There is nothing spiteful, nothing bitter or sarcastic in his humour.
But he was also very shy, and happiest with his family. Everybody who
reads his work would agree Death was one of his finest creations – Terry
in some way has now shaken hands with one of his greatest-ever creations."
– Philip Pullman

"Sir Terry's final tweet reads simply: 'The End.' But, undoubtedly, he
will live on for a very long time through his writing."
– The Independent

"He took a despised literary form and made it dance. His legions of fans
will miss him – but at least they have the Discworld he left behind...
By the time he had finished with Discworld, it was clear that a fantasy
universe could be used to write with echoing profundity about love,
death, religion, duty, opera, politics, and – above all – decency."
– Andrew Brown, in The Guardian

"During the many times Terry supported Alzheimer's Society, publicly and
privately, I was struck by his passion, resilience and courage to fight
and kill the demon of dementia. When thanked for his work, he'd simply
smile and shake his head modestly, insisting it was nothing. Never
dwelling on his own dementia, he used his voice to shout out for others
when they could not."
– Jeremy Hughes, chief executive of Alzheimer's Research UK

"When he talked about writing and work he was very lucid but as soon as
you mentioned ordinary things like a cup of tea there was confusion. If
he talked about writing or developing his characters his brain seemed to
go to another place. It was bittersweet but also joyous that we did the
Wintersmith album while Terry was cognisant of it."
– Julian Littman of Steeleye Span, who worked with Sir Terry on the
Wintersmith album

"He is survived by Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg, Mort, Death, Death of
Rats, Commander Vimes, the Librarian, Cohen the Barbarian, Rincewind the
Wizard, the Luggage, and hundreds of other unforgettable characters,
whose adventures will continue to delight and surprise readers all over
the world for many years to come."
–  George RR Martin

"Terry had a tremendous gift of giving life to stories of great wonder,
richness, humanity and warmth, for which many people all over the world
will remember him. He had a great heart as well. Joy, suffering,
happiness, the whole of the human experience: his stories captured all
of this and much besides with good humour, and he turned these same
talents to providing for a better future for generations to come,
through his steadfast work to promote Humanism and a compassionate
assisted dying law."
– Andrew Copson, chief executive of the British Humanist Association

"Ostensibly, Pratchett dealt in fantasy, but in the same way that the
London Symphony Orchestra could be considered to 'do a bit of music'.
His gift was to weave together parody, satire and adventure and reinvent
them in sublime ways."
– journalist Kat Brown, in The Telegraph

"I am glad to hear that Terry died peacefully. I do not know if he was
listening to Thomas Tallis, as he had so often described as his favoured
way to go. However the reality is that without an assisted dying law
there is no peace of mind for people when approaching their own death.
There is no choice, there is no control and there is no compassion."
– Dignity in Dying patron Lesley Close

"Though he may not release any more novels, nor provide smart quips in
interviews and thoughtful banter at conventions, Death cannot truly take
Terry Pratchett from the world. His influence has gone too deep, his
words have spread too far, and the things he most believed in —
laughter, bravery, community — are the very things he's left in our care."
– Jess Waters, a student at Emerson College

"I learnt more from your books than my entire education. Thank you, Sir
Terry."
– Tom, donor to RICE on Pterry's memorial Just Giving page, 12th March 2015

"I'm thinking we get some kittens, and then propose Death a trade."
– Ole Ulloriaq Lonberg-Jensen, on the Reinstate Terry Pratchett petition
at change.org

...and a few words from The Author himself:

"'I know about Sending Home,' said Princess. 'And I know the souls of
dead linesmen stay on the Trunk.'"

"'His name is in the code, in the wind in the rigging and the shutters.
Haven't you ever heard the saying "A man's not dead while his name is
still spoken"?'"
– Going Postal

"In the Ramtops village where they dance the real Morris dance, for
example, no one is finally dead until the ripples they cause in the
world die away – until the clock he wound up winds down, until the wine
she made has finished its ferment, until the crop they planted is
harvested. The span of someone's life, they say, is only the core of
their actual existence."
– Reaper Man

"'We dinnae mourn like ye do, ye ken. We mourn for them that has tae
stay behind.''
–The Wee Free Men

Additionally, BBC America offers a collection of "30 Terry Pratchett
quotes to guide you through life". You probably know most (or all) of
them, but it's handy to have them in one place: http://bbc.in/1HO1G4d

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

03) HOW THE WORLD BROKE THE NEWS

The announcement on PJSM Prints:

It is with immeasurable sadness that we announce that author Sir Terry
Pratchett has died at the age of 66.

"Larry Finlay, MD at Transworld Publishers:

"'I was deeply saddened to learn that Sir Terry Pratchett has died. The
world has lost one of its brightest, sharpest minds. In over 70 books,
Terry enriched the planet like few before him. As all who read him know,
Discworld was his vehicle to satirize this world: he did so brilliantly,
with great skill, enormous humour and constant invention. Terry faced
his Alzheimer's disease (an "embuggerance", as he called it) publicly
and bravely. Over the last few years, it was his writing that sustained
him. His legacy will endure for decades to come. My sympathies go out to
Terry's wife Lyn, their daughter Rhianna, to his close friend Rob
Wilkins, and to all closest to him.'

"Terry passed away in his home, with his cat sleeping on his bed
surrounded by his family on 12th March 2015. Diagnosed with PCA1 in
2007, he battled the progressive disease with his trademark
determination and creativity, and continued to write. He completed his
last book, a new Discworld novel, in the summer of 2014, before
succumbing to the final stages of the disease.

"We ask that the family are left undisturbed at this distressing time."

http://www.pjsmprints.com/

...and from Bernard Pearson, the Cunning Artificer:

"Today our deepest sympathy is with Lyn and Rhianna Pratchett and also
with Terry's amanuensis and friend Rob Wilkins.
I once said to Terry 'There are no pockets in a shroud'. We had been
talking about him buying a new car and I said he could afford a
Rolls-Royce if he wanted to but he was never a man for ostentation and
thought he might look at a Jag. 'Anyway', he replied 'It depends who
your tailor is, I'm having bloody great big ones in mine.' I'm writing
this because right now I could find out if that were true.

"I have known Terry since 1990 when we met in a bar in Covent Garden to
discuss the idea of me creating small sculptures from the characters in
his books. We found common ground in his days as a journalist and my
days as a policeman and we became friends. Over the years we spent a lot
of time together not just at the many gatherings at the Discworld
Emporium in Wincanton and at conventions all over the world but also for
family celebrations at Christmas or New Year, birthdays and wedding
anniversaries, lunch at the pub or bacon sandwiches round our dining
room table. Every occasion enlivened by his quickness of mind, his
encyclopaedic knowledge and most of all by his humour.

"He was not always easy to be with; he didn't suffer fools gladly and
with his command of the English language a blast from him was something
that this 'silly old fool' certainly would remember for quite a while. I
have been bollocked by the best in my time but dear old Terry was in a
class of his own.

"Terry was a class of his own in so many ways; other people will write
about his wisdom and his skills as an author. I remember his kindness to
his fans. No letters went unanswered and every person in a bookshop
signing queue got his full attention even if he and they had been there
for many hours.

"He enjoyed spending time with his readers – he would say they worked
hard to earn the money to buy his books and therefore he owed them. He
also genuinely enjoyed their company.

"We were privileged to co-author or as he put it 'aid and abet' him in
one or two books. It was a revelation the way he could sprinkle stardust
on a sentence and make it shine or take the germ of an idea, hold it up
to the light, and within minutes polish it into something original,
clever and very funny. We shall miss his many phone calls requesting
information about police procedure, and latterly the location of a
particular town, or the landscape of a train journey.

"We shall miss him.

"Bernard Pearson, on behalf of us all at the Emporium."

www.discworldemporium.com/a%20message%20from%20the%20heart

On the BBC news website:

"Despite campaigning for assisted suicide after his diagnosis, Sir
Terry's publishers said he did not take his own life.
BBC News correspondent Nick Higham said: 'I was told by the publishers
his death was entirely natural and unassisted, even though he had said
in the past he wanted to go at a time of his own choosing.'..."

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-31858156

...and the BBC's full obituary:

"Terry Pratchett proved that it was possible for a world to be flat. He
first created Discworld in 1983 because he wanted to 'have fun with some
of the cliches' of fantasy novels. Pratchett's whimsical writings
endeared him to millions of avid fans across the world. But in later
years he fought a much-publicised battle against Alzheimer's disease...

"His breakthrough came in 1968. While interviewing a publisher, Peter
Bander van Duren, he casually mentioned he had been working on a
manuscript. Van Duren and his business partner Colin Smythe read the
draft and The Carpet People was published in 1971. According to Smythe,
the book received few reviews, but they were ecstatic, with one
describing it as 'of quite extraordinary quality'. Pratchett followed
this up with his only two purely science-fiction novels, The Dark Side
of the Sun, published in 1976, and Strata five years later. The latter
work introduced the concept of a flat world, something that would
surface again in Pratchett's most popular series of novels. 'Nothing in
the universe is "natural" in the strict sense of the term,"' Pratchett
said of Strata. 'Everything, from planets to stars, is a relic of
previous races and civilisations.'

"His style of writing was nothing if not eccentric. He avoided chapters
where possible, on the basis that they broke up the narrative, and
peppered his text with footnotes. Pratchett also used punctuation as a
source of humour. His character Death always conversed in capital
letters while the auditors of reality eschewed quotation marks. He drew
heavily on real people for many of his characters. Leonardo da Vinci,
for example, became the painter and engineer Leonard of Quirm. Many of
his works were adapted for the stage and animated versions of some of
his children's stories, including Truckers, have appeared on TV. He
fought a running battle against critics who said fantasy could never be
considered as literature. 'Stories of imagination,' he said witheringly,
'tend to upset those without one.'

"Away from writing he maintained an interest in astronomy and natural
history. He became a campaigner to promote the conservation of the
orangutan and the librarian in Pratchett's Unseen University found being
the shape of an orangutan ideal for his work..."

www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-25401679

In The Guardian:

"The announcement of his death unleashed a tide of sympathy from around
the world. David Cameron tweeted: 'Sad to hear of Sir Terry Pratchett's
death, his books fired the imagination of millions and he fearlessly
campaigned for dementia awareness.' The author Neil Gaiman, a friend and
collaborator, tweeted: 'I will miss you, Terry, so much.'... The
characters of his fantastical creation, Discworld, inhabit a world held
up by four elephants balanced on the back of a giant turtle. It is a
world peopled by incompetent wizards, upside-down mountains, slow-witted
barbarians and a wry incarnation of Death. Begun as a cheerful parody of
fantasy authors from JRR Tolkien to Ursula K Le Guin, Pratchett's
ambitions gradually expanded to encompass life, death and humanity's
place in the universe – though the jokes kept coming..."

http://bit.ly/1C92UH2

...and the Guardian's full obituary, by Christopher Priest:

"BEING DEAD IS NOT COMPULSORY. NOT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO. These are the
words of Death, one of Terry Pratchett's ingenious comic creations in
his Discworld novels. Death has a booming, unamused voice (always in
capitals, never in quotation marks), and is the permanent straight man
in the comic chaos around him. He goes about his morbid business on a
horse called Binky, whose hooves throw up sparks on every street cobble.
Death is a skeleton, with eyes like two tiny blue stars set deep within
the sockets. He wears a black cloak, carries a scythe and, at the end of
a day's work, loves to murder a curry. At the point of contact with his
latest client, he usually spends a few moments having a courteous word
or two with the recently deceased, until they fade away. Now Death has
gained a most illustrious client, for Pratchett himself has died, aged
66, after suffering from early-onset Alzheimer's disease. The exchange
is no doubt unamused but courteous on one side, amusing but rueful on
the other, but of fervent interest to both parties. It's a conversation
that millions of Pratchett fans would ache to overhear. Would Death dare
to speak in capitals to Sir Terry Pratchett?

"Pratchett was, and will remain, one of the most popular British authors
of all time. In the modern age, only the career of JK Rowling, creator
of Harry Potter, is comparable. The facts of Pratchett's success are
impressive: the sheer number of books he has sold (some 80m copies
worldwide), and the number of reprints, translations, dramatisations on
television and stage, audio versions and spin-offs, plus awards and
honorary doctorates galore. Then there's an inestimable amount of
Discworld spinoffery: chess pieces, wizardly hats, cloaks and T-shirts,
leathern bags, pottery figurines, fantastic artwork, magic clobber of
every kind including dribbly candles – all made by and sold to fans. His
signings at bookshops were legendary: a queue stretching down the street
was de rigueur, and although Pratchett worked quickly at the signatures,
he was unfailingly friendly to everyone who turned up. He was open to
readers: he answered emails (or some of them, because the volume of
incoming messages was spectacular) and he went to Discworld conventions
(almost all of them). He was a nice man, unpretentious and with a wry
manner...

"Pratchett's first fantasy book was The Carpet People, written when he
was 18; he rewrote it 30 years later, having revised and reversed his
ideas about the importance of kings and wars. It was originally
published in 1971 by a local publisher, Colin Smythe Ltd, based in
Gerrards Cross. Smythe published the next two or three novels, licensing
other editions in British paperback and in the US, but as Pratchett's
popularity grew it became clear to everyone that a larger publisher
would be better equipped to promote his books. Smythe stepped aside as
publisher and became Pratchett's agent instead. Thereafter, hardbacks
appeared from large publishers, beginning with Gollancz...

"In a publishing world where popular success often equates to
ill-written or hackneyed work, Pratchett's novels, although in a racy,
readable style, were constantly witty, with many cultural, vernacular
and literary references. You never quite knew where the next association
was coming from: you would find sideways references to HP Lovecraft,
William Shakespeare, Beachcomber, Sellar and Yeatman, Thomas Hughes,
Peter Shaffer (a good joke about Salieri), JRR Tolkien, Egyptology,
vampirism, dragons... The humour of the novels was likable and liked:
most of Pratchett's books sold on word of mouth, and the many
conventions thrown in his honour were happy occasions. He gave his
readers memorable hours of talks, interviews and jokes... His last years
were astonishingly active. He continued to write fiction, learning to
dictate rather than type, and a last Discworld novel was completed and
delivered last summer..."

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/mar/12/terry-pratchett

In The Independent:

"As soon as news broke of his death broke on Thursday afternoon, his
website crashed under the weight of fans wanting to remember the
writer... A JustGiving page has been set up in his name, which aims to
raise money for the Research Institute for the Care of Older People..."

http://ind.pn/1DmiqAI

In The Telegraph:

"The author had succumbed to a chest infection earlier this year, which
gradually worsened. He passed away on March 12th.
He finished his final book, a new Discworld novel, in the summer of 2014
before entering the final stages of Alzheimer's... Sir Terry, who wrote
more than 70 best-selling novels, had waged a very public struggle with
Alzheimer's disease in recent years. He was diagnosed with posterior
cortical atrophy (PCA), a progressive degenerative condition involving
the loss and dysfunction of brain cells, in 2007 and continued writing,
broadcasting and meeting his fans. After losing the ability to touch
type in 2012, he used voice-recognition technology to complete his
much-loved new works. He went on to become one of the most prominent and
influential voices in the campaign for research into the disease, and
was a patron of Alzheimers Research UK. When asked about his career in
May 2014, he said: 'It is possible to live well with dementia and write
best-sellers 'like wot I do.'

"Hilary Evans, director of Alzheimer's Research UK, said: 'The loss of
Sir Terry Pratchett will have a profound effect on both literature and
the 850,000 people who live with dementia. Sir Terry's uniquely witty
and affecting announcement of his diagnosis with Alzheimer's at our 2008
conference will be seen as a watershed moment for all people living with
dementia. It engendered huge public awareness of Alzheimer's and issued
a call to arms for society to talk about dementia and take steps towards
defeating it. We will miss him.'..."

http://bit.ly/1BFWygu

...and the Telegraph's full obituary:

"His appeal was solidly based on well-crafted prose, imaginative
situations, economically phrased humour and well-observed characters .
With his knack for choice similes – Death himself, a recurring
character, speaks with 'a voice like the slamming of coffins' lids',
rendered entirely in capital letters – his style appealed equally to
young and adult readers; and his use of a fully realised alternative
world made it possible for him to tackle a wide range of contemporary
topics and issues without forfeiting his essential lightness of touch.
Ironically, it was Pratchett's ground-breaking achievement in making
comic fantasy acceptable to the mainstream reader that allowed J K
Rowling to usurp his place as the most widely read living British writer...

"Terry attended High Wycombe Technical High School, which he chose in
preference to the local grammar school because 'woodwork would be more
fun than Latin'. He was, by his own admission, a 'nondescript' student;
the most significant event in his school career was probably the
publication of his short story The Hades Business in the school magazine
when he was 13 (two years later he sold it commercially, and used the
proceeds to buy his first typewriter)...

"He enjoyed walking; that aside, his activities were mostly connected
with or ancillary to his work. He took an interest in computers and
played computer games (from which he drew the inspiration for his
children's novel, Only You Can Save Mankind); he eagerly participated in
many online newsgroups and discussion groups frequented by his fans, to
whom he always tried to be as accessible as reasonably possible, for a
writer with such a large and often fanatical readership. He also
maintained his childhood interest in astronomy, at one point building an
observatory in the grounds of his Wiltshire house, and collected
carnivorous plants...

"Around the turn of the millennium, Pratchett's work began to display a
change of direction. The rate of production dropped from two books a
year to one. The books themselves became darker, more thoughtful and
more complex. In his earlier work, the plot was often a loose framework
for gags and comic set pieces, the characters frequently little more
than mouthpieces for the jokes. Nightwatch (2002) and Monstrous Regiment
(2003), by contrast, are meticulously structured, with the comedy
arising organically out of the interaction of situation and character.
This progression was partly a natural consequence of the coral-reef
development of the Discworld itself. A minor character in one book would
become a central player in another; a passing joke would grow into a
substantial theme. In consequence, as the texture of Discworld became
richer, it enabled Pratchett to write more ambitiously. The comedy never
waned, nor was it ever entirely subordinated to a serious purpose; but
the books began to achieve objectives other than the maximum number of
jokes per page...

"Pratchett was often compared to Swift, but the comparison does him no
favours. He was not a satirist. Closer to Wodehouse than Waugh, he
preferred to create a self-contained world in which he could dictate
everything from the laws of physics to the number of colours in the
spectrum (eight), with human nature the only factor outside his control.
Although Discworld served to hold a distorting mirror up to the world in
which his readers lived, satire was a by-product and a means to an end,
rather than the object of the exercise..."

http://bit.ly/19mH8on

In the Daily Mail:

"The comic universe he created in Discworld – a flat disc balanced on
the backs of four elephants standing on the back of a giant turtle –
made millions laugh and made them think as well. His sense of fun made
him stand out in the often po-faced world of fantasy literature - he
would turn up at conventions wearing a T-shirt saying: 'Tolkien's dead,
JK Rowling said no, Philip Pullman couldn't make it. Hi. I'm Terry
Pratchett.' Towards the end of his life, he used his fame and wealth to
campaign for a greater awareness of dementia and assisted dying...
Hilary Evans, director of Alzheimer's Research UK, said the death of Sir
Terry would have 'a profound effect on both literature and the 850,000
people who live with dementia'..."

http://dailym.ai/1BFWGfS

An obituary by David Colker in the Los Angeles Times:

"Pratchett won a 2008 Los Angeles Times Book Prize for his young adult
novel, "Nation," which takes place on a mythical South Seas island in
the 19th century. The plot revolves around an island-born boy and
shipwrecked girl, from very different cultures, trying to survive a
natural disaster. He accepted the award in a videotaped message from a
slightly disheveled, book-filled office with a large cat perched on the
desk. 'It was like being shackled by one leg to a bulldozer,' the
white-bearded Pratchett said about writing the novel as the
scene-stealing cat looked ready to pounce. 'It just bound its way across
the landscape, but it was up to me to keep up with it and bang my head
on the trees as we rode across.' Though 'Nation' was aimed at young
adults, the Guardian in London said the book 'has profound, subtle and
original things to say about the interplay between tradition and
knowledge, faith and questioning.'

"With his books regularly hitting the top of best-seller lists in
England, Pratchett was likely that country's most popular novelist until
the arrival of J.K. Rowling's 'Harry Potter' tales in the 1990s. He took
Rowling's rise with customary humor, wearing a T-shirt to fan
conventions that read, 'Tolkien's Dead, J.K. Rowling said no,' and then
in small letters, 'Hi, I'm Terry Pratchett.'...

"In the years after his diagnosis, Pratchett spoke openly of his
condition and supported not only Alzheimer's but also right-to-die
causes. But his character Death doesn't appear in his last published
book, 'Raising Steam.' 'It's not deliberate,' he told the Telegraph in
2013 with a laugh, 'but I don't want to be a death fetishist.'..."

http://lat.ms/1ba6OFi

A knowing and loving obituary by Bruce Weber in the New York Times:

"An accomplished satirist with a penchant for sending up cultural and
political tomfoolery, Mr. Pratchett created wildly imaginative
alternative realities to reflect on a world more familiar to readers as
actual reality. Often spiced with shrewd and sometimes wryly stinging
references to literary genres, from fairy tales to Elizabethan drama,
his books have sold 85 million copies worldwide, according to his
publisher. And though Mr. Pratchett may have suffered from the general
indifference of literary critics to the fantasy genre, on the occasions
when serious minds took his work seriously, they tended to validate his
legitimate literary standing... Mr. Pratchett often wrote with eyebrow
arched and tongue planted firmly in cheek; in the behavior of his
mythical creatures it was hard to miss the barbs being tossed in the
direction of humanity..."

http://nyti.ms/1F5o21t

 From Reuters:

"News about the death of Pratchett – who campaigned during his final
illness for legalizing assisted death – came on his Twitter account in a
series of tweets written in the style of his Discworld novels, where
Death always talks in capital letters. 'AT LAST, SIR TERRY, WE MUST WALK
TOGETHER,' said the first tweet on @terryandrob. 'Terry took Death's arm
and followed him through the doors and on to the black desert under the
endless night,' said the second, while a third read simply: 'The End'...
A unique creation, Discworld is a circular world set on the backs of
four elephants standing on the shell of a giant turtle, populated by a
vast and colorful cast of characters inspired by the worlds of fantasy,
folk tales and mythology. Pratchett used Discworld to parody those
genres, but also to send up aspects of modern life by drawing often
incongruous connections between his imaginary world and things ordinary
people living in 20th century Britain would recognize..."

http://reut.rs/1MBNi1N

 From the Continent of Fourecks, a combination announcement and obituary
in the Sydney Morning Herald:

"Fantasy writer Terry Pratchett, creator of the Discworld series and
author of more than 70 books, has died. He was 66.
Pratchett, who suffered from a rare form of early onset Alzheimer's
disease, had earned wide respect in Britain and beyond with his
dignified campaign for the right of critically ill patients to choose
assisted suicide... Wheeler Centre director Michael Williams, who hosted
Pratchett on what would become his last tour of Australia in 2011,
remembers him as a likeable and fiercely intelligent man. 'I've been a
fan of his for many years and I was lucky enough to interview him. He
was very witty and very wise and endlessly curious. The conversation
would spark off in a million different directions.' Peter Nicholls, an
Australian expert on science fiction, author of the Science Fiction
Encyclopedia was a friend of Pratchett. 'It's a difficult think to talk
about Terry because he's been a pretty mysterious character,' he said.

"The author disclosed his condition in 2007. His doctors at first
believed he had suffered a stroke, but found him to have an unusual form
of Alzheimer's disease. He tried to be optimistic with his millions of
fans, assuring them on his website that the condition didn't seem to be
immediately life-threatening. As he lost the ability to write on a
computer, he turned to a dictation system that allowed him to keep
producing fictional works, his agent Colin Smythe said. 'It may have
changed his prose style slightly,' Smythe said. 'The real problem is the
difficulty of revising it.'

"Pratchett didn't shy away from the emotional public debate about
assisted suicide. He used the prestigious Richard Dimbleby lecture in
February 2010 to argue the logic of allowing people to end their lives
at a time they chose. He said assisted suicide should be decriminalised
and that suicide panels should be set up to judge cases, and offered his
own case as an example. In the lecture, Pratchett said there was no
reason to believe a cure for his disease was imminent. He said he could
live his remaining years more fully if he knew he would be allowed to
end his life before the disease claimed him..."

http://bit.ly/1MCgns5

...and a marvellous obituary-cum-tribute by Kieron Gillen, "Why We Need
Terry Pratchett's Brand of Moral Outrage", on Vulture.com:

"As I write this, my brother talks about his dyslexia and how Pratchett
made him want to read even when his brain didn't. I think earlier, and
think of a teacher friend of mine who talked about the sheer number of
children she taught who were brought into books by Pratchett. This
reminds me how I was involved in a conversation earlier that compared
him to Dickens, which struck me as correct. Massively popular writing