Wossname -- April 2015 -- Main issue

News and reviews about the works of Sir Terry Pratchett wossname at pearwood.info
Sun Apr 12 17:16:40 AEST 2015

Wossname
April 2015 (Volume 18, Issue 4, Post 1)

WOSSNAME is a free publication offering news, reviews, and all the other
stuff-that-fits pertaining to the works and activities of Sir Terry
Pratchett. Originally founded by the late, great Joe Schaumburger for
members of the worldwide Klatchian Foreign Legion and its affiliates,
including the North American Discworld Society and other continental
groups, Wossname is now for Discworld and Pratchett fans everywhere in
Roundworld.

GNU Terry Pratchett: Sending Home, forever (and secreted in Wossname's
own server)

Editor in Chief: Annie Mac
News Editor: Vera P
Newshounds: Mogg, Sir J of Croydon Below, the Shadow, Wolfiekins
Staff Writers: Asti, Pitt the Elder, Evil Steven Dread, Mrs Wynn-Jones
Staff Technomancers: Jason Parlevliet, Archchancellor Neil, DJ Helpful
Book Reviews: Annie Mac, Drusilla D'Afanguin, Your Name Here
Puzzle Editor: Tiff (still out there somewhere)
Emergency Staff: Steven D'Aprano, Jason Parlevliet
World Membership Director: Steven D'Aprano (in his copious spare time)

01) QUOTES OF THE MONTH
02) EDITOR'S LETTER:
03) THE SHEPHERD'S CROWN RELEASE DATES
04) ODDS AND SODS
05) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS
06) DISCWORLD ARTS AND CRAFTS NEWS
07) DISCWORLD CONVENTION NEWS
08) DISCWORLD MEETING GROUPS NEWS
09) IMAGES OF THE MONTH
10) CLOSE

01) QUOTES OF THE MONTH

"It is a huge privilege to be publishing Sir Terry Pratchett's final
Discworld novel, The Shepherd's Crown. Terry's writing is loved and
respected the world over and this publication will be an incredibly
important and special event for us all at Penguin Random House, and for
fans and readers everywhere."

– Tom Weldon of Penguin Random House

"Here's what happens to me when I read a Terry Pratchett book: In the
midst of the horror, the stupidity, the sheer insanity of the world,
someone takes me by the hand. I'm pulled away from the latest disaster,
personal or worldwide, and I walk away willingly to a place where I can
breathe easily, a place where my brain whirs happily and my shoulders
shake with laughter. As I get lost in this delightful, bizarre world, I
find that  it is the same world I was scared of a few pages before. It
is my world, reflected back to me and made bearable."

– university journalist Jessica Sager

"I've always been open about the fact that I do not see myself (or
anyone else) writing Discworld novels. They're sacred to dad."

– Rhianna Pratchett on Twitter, 12th April 2015

"It is not a wise or a sensible thing to do, to fly from the US to the
UK, getting in late on the Tuesday night, and flying back early on the
Thursday morning, in order to go to a funeral on the Wednesday, but
sometimes you do the wrong thing because it's the only right thing you
can do, and because you have to say goodbye to a friend properly, and
that was true this week..."

– Neil Gaiman

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

02) A LETTER FROM YOUR EDITOR

Dear Readers,

It has taken me nearly a month to assemble my thoughts in a coherent
enough form to write my own reaction to the death of my favourite
author. In these past weeks I've read and listened to many people
speaking of loss, of desolation and yes, of being gutted to know there
will be no more new words from the pen and mind of Terry Pratchett. I've
read and listened to testimonials giving thanks to the man's writing and
to his courage and activism in his last years. "Terry Pratchett gave me
a reason to go on living," say some. "Terry Pratchett helped me to find
my direction/confidence/faith in humanity," say others, and still
others, "Reading Terry Pratchett helped me to become a writer/secular
humanist/wildlife activist/volunteer dementia carer." And I can feel the
sincere emotion in every tribute and memorial. Around our
not-Disc-shaped world, millions are mourning his passing with all their
hearts.

But I am not among the mourners.

I admired – ever will admire! – the man hugely, not only for his genius
but also for his principles and his passion and his work ethic – but I
feel no need to mourn his dying. This shows no lack of emotion on my
part: some of you may remember that in my review of Nation some years
ago, I admitted that I'd cried so hard at the end that I became
physically sick, and my love of the characters and stories of Discworld
is and ever will remain fearsome in its intensity. But I've done my
mourning already.

I was mourning him for more than seven years, ever since he first made
us aware of the cruel death sentence that chance and biology had handed
him. Along with the rest of you, I went through periods of outrage, of
gut-churning sadness, of wishing the gods of Cori Celesti existed so
that I could confront them and rage at them for the sheer unfairness of
daring to curtail the life of this great man, of wishing there were some
impossible magic-driven way I could offer him some of what life I have
left on the chance that if it might help stave off his too-early ending.
I did all those things... but I am not mourning him now.

I am not mourning Terry Pratchett now because a part of him, the part he
chose to share with the world, lives in me and will continue to live in
me for the rest of my life. For me, Terry Pratchett is not "gone"; his
words, his genius, his way of cutting to the heart of the human-ness of
humanity and showing the rising ape inside us, are very much alive in
me, forming a part of the mortar of my inner self. You know – that
mortar that holds the bricks of one's worldview together. The mortar
that works so well that you rarely, if ever, realise it's keeping your
bricks from tumbling down. At some point well over twenty years ago,
Terry Pratchett's way with words became a part of my mortar, and there
they shall stay until my own point of ending comes.

Terry Pratchett never saved my life. He never influenced my outlook on
life either. I never felt that I knew him, because the man himself was a
stranger, and I never had any desire to attend one of his book signings
because the words I cared about were already in my possession. And while
his stories taught me nothing about myself that I didn't already know,
they did teach me more about human nature, and the way our species
thinks, than I had learned in years of studying anthropology and
headology (there you go: Pratchettisms have become so much a part of my
unthinking daily vocabulary that "headology" springs first to mind and
fingers when "psychology" is the word I mean). And of course his stories
fill my heart, over and over, every time I re-read them – and O, I do
re-read them often. The words of Terry Pratchett never grow stale. They
never will.

Now I *am* crying as I type this. But my tears are not tears of loss;
they are tears of awe, and joy, and gratefulness for all the magic words
and worlds Terry Pratchett brought to us and left us for all time.

Terry Pratchett made reading fiction worthwhile for me. I refuse to
mourn his death, but I will always celebrate his life and works. I hope
we all will keep him in the Overhead, to make sure that his name never
ceases to be spoken.

– Annie Mac, Editor

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

03) THE SHEPHERD'S CROWN: NEWS

Official publication dates around the world for The Shepherd's Crown
are, thankfully, very close together.

"This September Penguin Random House will be publishing The Shepherd's
Crown, the final Discworld novel by Sir Terry Pratchett. Editor Kirsten
Armstrong bought Exclusive World All Language rights (excluding US, US
dependencies and Philippines) from Colin Smythe of Colin Smythe Ltd. The
Shepherd's Crown is the fifth Discworld novel featuring young witch
Tiffany Aching.  Previous titles in the Tiffany Aching sequence include:
The Wee Free Men, A Hat Full of Sky, Wintersmith and I Shall Wear Midnight.

"Terry completed The Shepherd's Crown in the summer of 2014. It will be
published in hardback, ebook and audio formats on September 10th 2015,
and is now available for preorder. A collector’s edition will also be
available."

http://www.terrypratchettbooks.com/?p=5893

...and in the USA, only five days behind:

"This September HarperCollins Children's Books will be publishing The
Shepherd's Crown, the final Discworld novel by Sir Terry Pratchett.
Jennifer Brehl, SVP, Executive Editor & Director of Editorial
Development bought U.S. rights from Colin Smythe of Colin Smythe Ltd...
Terry completed The Shepherd's Crown in the summer of 2014, and it's
scheduled for publication on September 15, 2015.

"'We are honored to be publishing Sir Terry Pratchett's final Discworld
novel, The Shepherd's Crown,' says Susan Katz, President and Publisher,
HarperCollins Children's Books. 'Sir Terry's books are beloved by
readers everywhere, and we are incredibly proud to bring this novel to
his legions of fans in the United States.'"

http://terrypratchett.co.uk/?p=5907

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

04) ODDS AND SODS

Sir Terry Pratchett's funeral took place on the 25th of March. This is
from the British Humanist Association, an organisation he supported very
actively for many years (and this was reciprocated, as he was named
their Humanist of the Year in 2013):

"Terry Pratchett's funeral ceremony was held yesterday, and it was an
important opportunity for his family to remember him and celebrate the
wonderful life he led. Our funeral celebrant Kenneth Greenway conducted
the moving humanist ceremony. Over a distinguished career, Terry brought
happiness to audiences of all ages and charmed readers through his many
humorous explorations of the human experience. In one of his novels, he
writes: 'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before
you die. That is true, it's called Life.' Terry was a true humanist, and
continues to be missed by all at the British Humanist Association (BHA)."

http://bit.ly/1GXDOfM

Also, here is the complete memorial tribute from the BHA. Well worth
reading:

https://humanism.org.uk/2015/03/12/bha-mourns-patron-terry-pratchett/

And as the thought-spirit of Sir Pterry rides the Overhead, things both
mundane and magical relating to his life and works continue. Here are a
few...

4.1 PAUL KIDBY EXHIBITION

Paul Kidby's "Discworld and Beyond" exhibition is currently showing at
the Gosport Gallery. The exhibition includes his long-awaited "Discworld
Massif" mega-portrait and the exquisite "Check Mort" (Sir Pterry and
Death playing chess, a picture that has been sent around the aether
countless times already and will continue to keep The Author's name
alive). The Gallery says, "This exhibition showcases the wonderful book
covers and illustrations for Pratchett s novels including favourite
characters like Rincewind, the Wee Free Men and of course Death. It also
reveals Paul s own projects influenced by British folklore and landscapes."

When: now through 30th May 2015
Venue: Gosport Discovery Centre, High Street, Gosport, Hants PO12 1BT
(phone 0300 555 1387)
Time: 10am to 5pm Monday to Saturday (the Gallery is closed on Sundays
and public holidays)
Tickets: Free Admission for all

4.2 GET YER LUVVERLY SCUMBLE HERE!

For discerning Discworld drink aficionados in the UK, a special offer.
Be warned, er, aware that this offer only stands for a short while:

"Official Discworld Cider, Nanny Ogg's Scumble is crafted in the Lancre
marshes using a closely guarded recipe handed down through Ogg family
generations. It contains mostly apples. Brewed using the Lancre
Blackheart apple (similar to the roundworld Russet and Cox apples) and
an exotic mixture of secret ingredients, Nanny Ogg's Scumble has the
subtle taste of oak floorboards and the aroma of melting butter. The
juice is pressed from the fruit and allowed to naturally ferment with
its own yeast and sugars for over 6 months. Medium dry to the taste,
'golden straw' in colour and suitable for vegetarians and coeliacs.

"WARNING: If at all possible avoid bringing Scumble into contact with
water. If used for cleaning cutlery, one thimbleful of Scumble should be
diluted in a bucket of water for best results, and to avoid dissolving
the forks.

"Always drink sensibly – do not allow Nanny Ogg's Scumble to touch the
lips or other sensitive areas."

Nanny Ogg's Scumble is 7.5% ABV 330ml. Regularly priced at £3.10 per
bottle, for a short time the Special Price is £2.40 per bottle.

"Shipping costs for beers are typically just £6.99 for up to 24 bottles
in the UK mainland, but there are a range of delivery options and prices
depending on your location. Order placed before noon are typically
shipped the same day. For more information, or to ask us questions about
shipping, visit our Helpdesk."

Helpdesk:
http://help.alesbymail.co.uk/support/solutions

To purchase your Scumble, and for more information, go to:
http://bit.ly/1yen82n

About the brewers:

"Generations of students at Unseen University have dabbled in the dark
arts of brewing. The Boathouse Brewery came into existence following an
explosion deep within the cellars of the University after which
Archchancellor Ridcully issued a decree banning all brewing activities.
It turned out that the little-used boathouse was not technically within
University grounds and was exempt from the decree and so the Boathouse
Brewery was born. Boathouse Brewery beers are produced under licence by
Ales By Mail Limited."

4.3 ALZHEIMER'S NEWS

4.3a It seems that some minor UK crowd-stirrer called Katie Hopkins
referenced Sir Pterry during a public rant against dementia patients.
Here was the response from Alzheimer's Research UK:

"TV personality Katie Hopkins has caused controversy after making a
series of comments about dementia on Twitter. In one tweet, the TV
personality said that people with dementia 'should not be blocking beds'
in hospital. Hilary Evans, Director of External Affairs at Alzheimer’s
Research UK, the UK's leading dementia research charity, said: 'Katie
Hopkins should be ashamed at her comments. Views such as these reinforce
misunderstanding of dementia and show just how much work there is still
to do in changing harmful perceptions of the condition. People who have
been diagnosed with dementia still face an unacceptable level of stigma
and social isolation as a result of their condition, and we need much
greater awareness about the reality of life with dementia. All too often
dementia is talked about in negative terms, and we must challenge the
feeling of hopelessness that surrounds the condition...'"

http://bit.ly/1DwNIUA

[Editor's note: out of curiosity, I looked this person up. Apart from
looking like a suitable candidate to play Mrs Proust without needing
prosthetics, she seems to revel in carefully designed rudeness for no
other purpose than to attract clickbait customers. And, it seems, she
succeeds at it. I'm reminded of a certain comment – by the Auditors in
Thief of Time, I believe – about humanity being so easily persuaded to
shoot itself in the foot...]

4.3b Here is a moving personal account by Shanda Deziel on Yahoo Canada,
"How Terry Pratchett helped my mother cope with Alzheimer's":

"I first heard of popular British fantasy writer Sir Terry Pratchett,
who died on Thursday, when I was Googling posterior cortical atrophy
(PCA), a rare form of early-onset Alzheimer's. Pratchett, the author of
the Discworld series, had written a series of articles in British
newspapers about having PCA, a disease that shuts down communication
between the brain and the eyes. My mother had just been diagnosed and I
was desperate for information. Pratchett's articles, in which he vowed
to keep writing fiction, offered such comfort... For Mom, Pratchett's
articles were a lifeline. Here was a bright, funny, literary man who had
the same disease as she did. He looked young like her and was bound to
'keep things cheery.' She was very impressed that he was able to
continue writing – using dictation software or an assistant – as she
could no longer perform her duties as a cashier. She carried around his
articles and when she had to explain PCA to someone new, she diminished
her embarrassment by pulling out Pratchett's articles. Because he had
the disease, she felt she was in good company... As others celebrate a
man who gave them the magical universe of Discworld, I'm forever
grateful he shared the all-too-real account of the disease that would
take his life."

http://yhoo.it/1DUPoZY

4.4 TRIBUTE FROM A YOUNG JOURNALIST

A gentle, thoughtful memorial tribute from Jessica Sager in Georgia
Regents University newspaper The Bell Ringer:

"A couple years ago, I sat in the communications office, flipping
through a course catalog and trying to decide what to do with myself
after the professional writing track was discontinued. The journalism
track seemed like a pretty good fit, especially compared to
transferring. But would this journalism thing be a good fit for an
aspiring fiction writer? Hmm. Seemed to work out all right for J.K.
Rowling, Charles Dickens and, yes, Pratchett – who happens to be my
favorite of the three. Majoring in journalism is so far turning out to
be one of the best decisions of my life. As a busy student and news
writer, though, it is easy to lose track of time to write poetry or
stories. It can even be tempting to lay aside a story or column for the
paper and say 'I can't do it.' It's not just being a student: I think
most writers are prone to being too tired or too awake, too bored or too
busy, too lonely or too happy, just too damn everything to sit down and
write. I still make these excuses for myself, but because of Pratchett I
know better than to buy into the idea that I ever just can't write. In
2007, before he was even 60 years old, Pratchett was diagnosed with a
rare type of Alzheimer's disease.

"Have you ever wondered how you would react to being diagnosed with a
terminal illness? I have, and for me, it always comes back to the
stories – the stories unwritten. I hope this never becomes a reality for
me, but I also hope that, if it does, I will react the way I want to,
the way that Sir Terry did: Keep on writing. For eight years after his
diagnosis, Pratchett kept writing, releasing roughly one novel a year.
He needed help as his disease got worse, but nonetheless he kept
writing. When compared to Alzheimer's, my petty excuses slink away in
shame. And I write...

"I've never read a word of Pratchett that didn't read true. I've never
said to myself 'That isn't a what a real blank would do!' when reading
one of his books. I don't know how he did that; probably by being a good
journalist, i.e. an observant one. As far as I can tell, every
experience in his books, no matter how extraordinary, is relatable.
Reading Pratchett's books reminds me that authors can make a difference.
Remembering the impact he's had on my life, and those of millions of
other readers, assures me that what I aspire to do isn't just
decoration, icing on a world that needs more than pretty tales. What Sir
Terry's books have done for me isn't mere escapism, isn't just one
distraction of many. It has influenced me and positively impacted my
life, in part by reminding me that I, too, could someday help, comfort
or inspire someone with my words..."

http://grubellringer.com/2015/03/31/remembering-sir-terry-pratchett/

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

05) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS

5.1 REMINDER: WYRD SISTERS IN CHELMSFORD (APRIL)

The Chelmsford Theatre Workshop are presenting their production of Wyrd
  Sisters this month.

"Our next production is linked to our long history of producing
Discworld plays – and we've a treat in store for Pratchett fans and
theatre lovers alike this April... Wyrd Sisters is a cornerstone of the
Discworld series and features some of CTW's favourite characters
including Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg. In this brilliantly different
take on the story of Macbeth, the witches find  themselves entangled in
a web of murder and betrayal. We recommend  booking in advance, as
Discworld plays at CTW have a habit of selling very well – and very
quickly!"

Co-director Mark Preston says: "We're planning to turn the show into our
tribute to [Sir Terry], and will be collecting for the Alzheimer's Society."

When: 15th-18th and 22nd-25th April 2015
Venue: the Old Court Theatre, 233 Springfield Road, Chelmsford
Time: 7.45 pm
Tickets: £9 (concessions £8). Tickets can be purchased from the Civic
Theatre (phone 01245 606505), or online at
http://www.chelmsford.gov.uk/terry-pratchetts-wyrd-sisters
A £1 transaction fee per ticket applies to online purchases.

For more information, go to:
https://chelmsfordtheatreworkshop.wordpress.com/

5.2 UPDATE: WYRD SISTERS IN EYNSFORD, KENT (MAY)

Riverside Players proudly present a new interpretation of Wyrd Sisters.
Stephen Briggs' play has been specially adapted for this amateur
production by the director, Rob Tizzard.

"This Spring, Riverside Players bring you their first ever Production
based on the work of the great and prolific author, Sir Terry Pratchett.
This unique new take on an often performed tale comes from the long
running Discworld series. To those unfamiliar with his work, it may seem
like the usual fantasy hokum, but if you take a closer look, they are
stories steeped in imagination that take a cheeky sideways look at the
absurdity of everyday life. Wyrd Sisters takes a satirical look at the
works of Shakespeare, namely Hamlet, Richard III and Macbeth, and
explores the power of 'words'.

"This Production marks another first for Riverside Players, in the use
of full stage background projection. An original musical accompaniment
will be performed by a live band. A wondrous cast who relish bringing
the many colourful characters to life. You may even spot the odd cat or
orangutan, both beloved by the author. So please join us to celebrate
the life of the great writer, with a couple of hours of comedic fun for
all. We look forward to seeing you so book now as there will only be six
performances of this show."

There will be collections for the RICE Centre during the shows.

When: 8th, 9th, 15th & 16th May 2015
Venue: Eynsford Village Hall, High Street, Eynsford, Kent DA4 0AA
Time: Friday 8th & 15th, 7.45pm; Saturday 9th & 16th, 3pm & 7.45pm
Tickets: Adult £11, Concessions £9 (under 16s, over 60s and students
with NUS card), Family £35 (2 adults and 2 concessions); Group Discount:
buy 10 tickets, get one of them free! Applies to Adult and Concession
tickets only. Discount will be applied at payment stage.

There is a Discount Code for buying advance tickets: 'ESME15' until 23rd
April 2015

5.3 SMALL GODS IN ADELAIDE, FOURECKS (MAY)

Unseen Theatre says of their latest production, which opens next month:

"The main target of Pratchett's perceptive, satirical wit in Small Gods
is religion and intolerance. Funnily enough, according to his fan mail,
both believers and non-believers have praised the book for supporting
their position!Philosophical and theological arguments aside, it is
still epic storytelling (with one foot of silliness stuck in the door),
a comedic character piece, an awfully big adventure, and, as always, it
examines the never ending conflict between good and evil. So you could
say that it pretty much covers everything! (including the number 42).

"This is also one of Terry's works that is most often accused of being
literature. However Terry himself preferred to put his views in a
simpler fashion:- 'Take it from me, whenever you see a bunch of buggers
puttering around talking about truth and beauty and the best way of
attacking Ethics, you can bet your sandals it's all because dozens of
other poor buggers are doing all the real work around the place.'

"Although this production was planned quite some time before Terry's
passing, some may see it as fate, others as simply co-incidence, that we
decided on this particular one of his works that is concerned with
theological and philosophical issues. Whatever your beliefs, we hope
that it is a fitting tribute to him. Small Gods has all the usual
comedy, action, and drama that we have come to expect from one of the
most insightful minds of our era. It will also make you think
about....well...everything, long after you have left the theatre!

"RIP Sir Terry. We hope you are giving our favourite character a good
run for his money! We at Unseen Theatre Company will be sure to keep
your work alive on stage."

When: Preview Fri. May 15. Opening Night Sat. May 16. Season continues
Wed to Sat until May 30.
Venue: Bakehouse Theatre, 255 Angas Street, Adelaide
Time: All shows at 8pm
Tickets: Adults $20; Concession $18; TREv $16; Groups (10+) $16; Preview
all tickets $15; Companion Card accepted.
To book online, go to: www.bakehousetheatre.com
Tickets can also be purchased at the door on the night (subject to
availability).

http://unseen.com.au/

5.4 REVIEW: WITCHES ABROAD IN CARDIFF

By Adam Walker, in Wales Online:

"Pratchett has gone but the worlds he created, particularly the
phenomenally successful Discworld, live on in the pages of his books,
the hearts and minds of his fans and in the plays of Monstrous
Productions – the Cardiff-based theatre company who have been bringing
the Discworld to the city since 2012... the witches from Monstrous
Productions' last show, Wyrd Sisters, are back with Ellen Warren playing
Granny Weatherwax, Lowri Belson as Magrat and Zoe Azzopardi as Nanny
Ogg. The three young actresses did another fantastic job of spinning a
spell on the audience, making them believe they'd been whisked away to
Pratchett's Discworld. They were joined by Caroline McCann who was
suitably sinister as the bad witch Lilith and her sidekick who was
suitably, well slimy, as The Duc, a frog who's been magiced into a man,
played by Michael Dickinson. Other stand-out stars were Dominique
Workman who played the magnificently made-up voodoo witch Mrs Gogol and
her tap-dancing zombie, the ex-Baron Saturday, play by Harry Spencer.
The sprinkling of scenes where simple-minded Jason Ogg, played to
perfection by Tony Beard, struggles to read letters from his Nanny Ogg
about her adventures were hilarious and also served to tie the rather
wide-ranging story of Witches Abroad together..."

http://bit.ly/1GsD3wu

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

06) DISCWORLD ARTS AND CRAFTS NEWS

The Cunning Artificers are back in action. Here are the latest offerings
from the Discworld Emporium:

"We want to say a HUGE thank you for your understanding and support, and
for bearing with us over the past few weeks. The tremendous outpouring
of tributes from all over the globe has reaffirmed that Terry's legacy
will continue to 'Light a flamethrower' in the darkness and ignite the
imaginations of millions for years to come #GNUTERRYPRATCHETT

"And so, Transworld publishers have announced that the final Discworld
book and fifth Tiffany Aching novel, The Shepherd's Crown, completed
last summer and revealed by Terry himself at the International Discworld
Convention in August, will be published this September 10th by Penguin
Random House. We aim to have pre-order available as soon as possible,
and will post details as soon as we are able.

"A little later than scheduled, we are pleased to announce new releases
from the Ankh-Morpork Post Office... The 'Vimes and Punishment' LBE is a
special City Watch edition of our Little Brown envelope, featuring new
and exclusive issues from illustrator Bill Sanderson, a V&A Illustration
Award Winner and Royal Mail artist. This limited edition of 1200
envelopes will be available Saturday April 11th in two batches at 10am
and 6pm BST. Each envelope includes a 'Penny Copper' charity issue and
an exclusive lilac version of our forthcoming $1 Vimes stamp. This is
the very first Discworld Stamp ever to feature His Grace, His
Excellency, The Duke of Ankh, Commander Sir Samuel Vimes, and Bill's
exquisite artwork has been impressed using a vintage letterpress and
traditional copper printing plate."

For more info go to http://bit.ly/1I1IGz8

"A generous amount of sports and rarities have also been sprinkled
throughout the edition, including the first of this year's coveted Blue
Triangle stamp – The Patrician's Palace $5. One very lucky envelope will
contain the first Blue Triangle Sport of the year, one of only 10 to be
released!

"AND THAT'S NOT ALL! Prize tickets for 1 of 50 exclusive 'rap sheet'
sets are loitering in lucky envelopes. Each set includes a full sheet of
lilac $1 Vimes stamps, and an imperforate misspelled 'sport' sheet of
forthcoming general $1 Vimes issues, accompanied by an evidence label
for crimes against printing plates.

"The Penny Copper is also available to purchase singly or as beautiful
whole sheets from Saturday 11th. All new issues are available for
preview in the NEW STAMPS section of our site."

For info about the Penny Copper go to:
http://www.discworldemporium.com/AMCWPennyCopper

"N.B. Special Editions tend to sell our VERY quickly. To avoid
disappointment we recommend the purchase of an LBE Season Ticket. Please
have the relevant page ready at the time of release, refresh your
browser and proceed quickly through checkout. Adding LBEs to your cart
does NOT guarantee purchase.

"Wishing you all the very best."

To see all the new stamps, go to http://bit.ly/1I1IxM3

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

07) DISCWORLD CONVENTION NEWS

Nullus Anxietas V is waking up to its final day as I type this.
According to their various online feeds, the attendees have been having
a great time remembering Sir Pterry and celebrating his life and works.
There will be assorted reports to follow, we hope. In the meantime, here
are some iconographs from last night's Gala...

Best. Handbag. Ever.
http://bit.ly/1yg7cfu

Vena the (formerly) Raven-haired, looking both stunning and dangerous:
http://bit.ly/1FKXAJQ

Stephen Briggs in full-on Vetinari mode: http://bit.ly/1FxPU0b

An excellent Susan and a probable (as he's somewhat postvital-looking)
Windle Poons:
http://bit.ly/1HfZTq8

If you are in the area today, have money to burn, and would like to join
the final day of the convention, a Sunday all-day ticket is $80 for
adults ($60 concession).

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

08) DISCWORLD MEETING GROUPS NEWS

The Broken Drummers, "London's Premier Unofficially Official Discworld
Group" (motto "Nil percussio est"), meets on the first Monday of every
month at the Monkey Puzzle, 30 Southwick Street, London W2 1JQ: "We
welcome anyone and everyone who enjoys Sir Terry's works, or quite likes
them or wants to find out more. We have had many visitors from overseas
  who have enjoyed themselves and made new friends. The discussions do
not only concern the works of Sir Terry Pratchett but wander and meander
through other genres and authors and also leaping to TV and Film
production. We also find time for a quiz. The prize is superb. The
chance to set the quiz the following month. If you enter via the beer
garden, you will find us at the opposite end of the pub. If you have any
problems, the staff can direct you."

Next meeting: Monday 4th May 2015

The Drummers' April meet report:

"The Broken Drummers met on Easter Monday. As expected most of the talk
early on was about Terry. We also discovered that most of the people
present were librarians at school (as was Terry). One exception was Alex
C. who was an armourer, which was apparently like being a librarian but
with guns rather than books (this is really true, Alex went to a
military school). Andrew gave the toast to Terry. He reminded us of
Terry's statement that a person never dies until the ripples they
created fade. Jessica then told us about all the tributes to Terry that
took place at EasterCon and handed out some goodies.

"We had one new person, Barbara. Others present included some of the
newest members who seemed very keen to help recruit more newbies. I
promised that I really was going to sort out flyers and the Facebook
group. I've meant to do it for years and I'm writing it down now so that
you can remind me to get on with it. Then I can remind Marina and Phil
that they volunteered. Later in the evening conversation turned to
upcoming events. Then somehow we got onto singing silly songs and
discussing the etymology of swearwords. Marina was especially puzzled by
the similarity of words for the female genitalia in unrelated languages.
The best explanation I could come up with was 'people have always had them.'

"That's it for now. It only remains for me to say thank you to Terry
Pratchett for sowing the seeds that grew into Drummers and every other
permutation of Discworld fandom. He used to say that he felt like
Frankenstein did as the monster was walking out of the door. I can
imagine. However, he once said to me that he felt very blessed with his
fans because we were all such nice people. Without Terry I would never
have met any of you, including my husband. So, once again: thank you
Terry. May the ripples you made echo through the years (OK that's mixing
a metaphor) and may your monster grow and carry on lurching."

For more information, go to http://brokendrummers.org/ or email
BrokenDrummers at gmail.com or nicholls.helen at yahoo.co.uk

*

The Pratchett Partisans are a fan group who meet monthly at either
Brisbane or Indooroopilly to "eat, drink and chat about all things
Pratchett". Forthcoming events include a discussion of "The Foode and
Drinke of Discworld" on Saturday, 14th March at 2pm. For more info about
their next meetup, go to www.meetup.com/Pratchett-Partisans/ or contact
Ula directly at uwilmott at yahoo.com.au

*

The City of Small Gods is a group for fans in Adelaide and South Australia:

"Our (semi-) regular meetings are generally held on the last Thursday of
the month at the Seven Stars, 187 Angas St, Adelaide. We have dinner at
6.30pm followed by games until 9pm. The games are usually shorter games
like Pairs, Sushi Go, or Fluxx, with the occasional Werewolf session, as
these are the best sort of games that work in a pub setting.

"Games Days: every few months, we have a full day's worth of board games
at La Scala Cafe, 169 Unley Rd, Unley in the function room starting at
10am. Check the calendar below for the date of the next event.

"Other gatherings: in addition to the above, we will occasionally have
other events to go and see plays by Unseen Theatre Company, book
discussions on Terry's latest, craft, chain maille or costuming
workshops or other fun social activities. See our upcoming events for
further info, and join the mailing list to get the details. To keep up
on exactly what's happening and when, or to take part in some online
discussion, please join!"

https://www.facebook.com/groups/cityofsmallgods/
https://twitter.com/CityOfSmallGods
www.cityofsmallgods.org.au

*

The Broken Vectis Drummers meet on the first Thursday of every month
from 7.30pm at The Castle pub in Newport, Isle of Wight.

Next meeting: Thursday 7th May 2015, probably, but do email to check.

All new members and curious passersby are very welcome! For more info
and any queries, contact broken_vectis_drummers at yahoo.co.uk

*

The Wincanton Omnian Temperance Society (WOTS) meets on the first Friday
of every month at Wincanton's famous Bear Inn from 7pm onwards.
"Visitors and drop-ins are always welcome!"

Next meeting: Friday 1st May 2015 (probably).

*

The Northern Institute of the Ankh-Morpork and District Society of
Flatalists, a Pratchett fangroup, has been meeting on a regular basis
since 2005 but is now looking to take in some new blood (presumably not
in the non-reformed Uberwald manner). The Flatalists normally meet at
The Narrowboat Pub in Victoria Street, Skipton, North Yorkshire, to
discuss "all things Pratchett" as well as having quizzes and raffles.

Details of future meetings are posted on the Events section of the
Discworld Stamps forum:

http://www.discworldstamps.co.uk/forum/

*

Sydney Drummers (formerly Drummers Downunder) meet on the first Monday
of every month in Sydney at 3 Wise Monkeys, 555 George Street, Sydney,2000.

Next meeting: Monday 4th May 2015 at 6.30pm (probably). For more
information, contact Sue (aka Granny Weatherwax): kenworthys at yahoo.co.uk

*

The Treacle Mining Corporation, formerly known as Perth Drummers, meet
on the first Monday of the month (subject to holidays) at the
child-friendly Carpe Cafe, 526 Murray Street, Perth, Western Australia.

Next meeting: from 5.30pm on Monday 4th May 2015 (probably).

For details follow Perth Drummers on Twitter @Perth_Drummers or join
their Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Perth.Drummers/
– or message Alexandra Ware directly at <alexandra.ware at gmail.com>

*

Western Drummers, also based in Sydney, meet at The Rowers, Nepean
Rowing Club, Bruce Neal Drive, Penrith at 6.30-7.30pm for food, 7.30pm
for games, quizzes and chat: "If you have never been, please come on
down. You would be very welcome. We eat, have a drink, talk Discworld
and play board games. Starts kind of 6 – 6.30ish and finishes kind of
9pm ish."

Next meeting: Tuesday, 21st April at 6:00pm. For more information,
contact Nanny Ogg – lewis_oz at bigpond.com – or visit their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/westerndrummers

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

09) IMAGES OF THE MONTH

In London's Brick Lane, an anonymous artist has painted gorgeous Terry
Pratchett and Discworld tribute murals, after the style of the late Josh
Kirby – though it could be said that these look far better drawn large
on a wall than they ever did as paperback covers. And the portrait of
Sir Pterry himself is simply amazing!

A head portrait of The Author, surrounded by some of his Discworld
characters:
http://bit.ly/1NOveCe

A Josh Kirby-esque Death and Binky cover pastiche:
http://bit.ly/1CI0733

Some more shots of the installation, from different perspectives:
http://bit.ly/1Clp851

...and a nice shot of the mural as a work in progress:
https://instagram.com/p/1I30YXESYZ/

[Editor's note for prospective pilgrims: The panels are at the end of
Code Street, off Brick Lane itself.]

...and the far more stylistically original but no less lovingly rendered
wall art tribute – this one, a comics-style mural of Death, The Luggage,
and Rincewind, is in Stokes Croft, Bristol:
http://bit.ly/1PySzK2

And here is the article on it in the London Evening Standard, who were
the first to report on the tribute art:

"A huge graffiti tribute to late author Terry Pratchett has appeared in
east London. The mural shows artwork for the cult writer's Discworld
books Mort and Reaper Man, complete with a massive portrait of the man
himself, who died last month at 66 after a battle with Alzheimer's.
Characters such as the skeletal, dry-humoured Death and inept wizard
Rincewind dance across the walls of the Pillow Cinema... Ella Finch, who
captured these pictures, told the Standard the paintings were 'so
evocative'. 'I wish I knew who the artist was, as it's beautifully
done," she said. "As cheesy as it may sound, I hope Terry and Death can
walk together along these walls for a long time before any more graffiti
takes over.'"

http://bit.ly/1DBMibw

...and the story behind them, which was soon revealed:

"One of the artists behind a Terry Pratchett mural that was shared
thousands of times online has revealed the inspiration behind his Brick
Lane street art. Jim Vision, 33, told the Standard the piece – a joint
effort with 'Dr Zadok' – was a work-in-progress that would eventually
span even more of the former Shoreditch station's walls. 'It's an area
that has quite a lot of social problems,' he said, 'so it feels good to
bring something colourful to it. We've had some incredible feedback –
just people saying, "oh my God, there's Terry Pratchett!"' The wall now
belongs to the underground Pillow Cinema and is a favourite with street
artists, meaning Pratchett's legacy there may be rather short-lived.
'We'd love to do something a bit more permanent if we could find a
wall,' said Jim, 'but that one does tend to get painted quite
regularly... It was very inspirational reading [Pratchett's] books
growing up,' explained Jim. 'They present a pretty anarchic world. It's
all pretty fantastic – it takes things from our world and twists it into
something quite incredible. It's really important to commemorate
people's lives, especially somebody who brought so much to UK
literature.' The response to the mural – pictures of which have been
shared across the internet – was a surprise, he added. 'We didn't do it
expecting it to be shared," he said. "We're doing it for personal
reasons – but it's fantastic when people appreciate what you do.'..."

http://bit.ly/1NHbjD6

And here be some other, unrelated, images...

I love this whimsical – indeed, magical – photo of The Author:
http://bit.ly/1y56Bh5

Two mathematicians in conversation, by Witek Rajtor:
http://bit.ly/1ah7jfw

A fascinating road sign in Suffolk:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CBiE73pWYAANud7.jpg

A drawing by Amy Simmonds, of an imagined book signing:
http://bit.ly/1aiZkyL

...and another bow for Randall Munroe's wonderful xkcd tribute:
http://www.xkcd.com/1498/

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

10) CLOSE

And that's the lot for the moment. More to come, including my now
long-overdue review of the delightful republished Truckers. Special
thanks go to all the kind folk who have written to us to state their
appreciation of Wossname carrying on. And we shall carry on!

By the way, the official Terry Pratchett site has gathered a number of
short tribute quotes from Assorted Famous Faces. In case we've missed
any of significance during the past month, here is the link:

http://www.terrypratchett.co.uk/?p=5874

Before I go – Long Earth series completionists should note that The Long
Mars is now available in paperback.

And remember, you can still donate to the RICE Centre via the JustGiving
page set up by Lynsey of Transworld. The total raised now stands at
nearly £43,000, but more donations will always be put to good use:

https://www.justgiving.com/Terry-Pratchett

One more thing: the mirror site – http://wossname.dreamwidth.org – is
set to become more than just a mirror of these text-based issues. If you
fancy having a shufti over there, you will find several image posts and
announcements of time-sensitive things. Stay tuned for further updates.
Dreamwidth is a much more welcoming place to be than the messy chaos of
Facebook!

And the show goes on. See you soon...

– Annie Mac

Remember, the mirror version of this issue can be viewed at
http://wossname.dreamwidth.org/10489.html

The End. If you have any questions or requests, write: wossname-owner
(at) pearwood (dot) info