Wossname -- special early edition -- August 2015

News and reviews about the works of Sir Terry Pratchett wossname at pearwood.info
Thu Aug 6 12:19:33 AEST 2015

Wossname SPECIAL EARLY EDITION
August 2015 (Volume 18, Issue 8, Post 1)

WOSSNAME is a free publication offering news, reviews, and all the other
stuff-that-fits pertaining to the works and activities of Sir Terry
Pratchett. Originally founded by the late, great Joe Schaumburger for
members of the worldwide Klatchian Foreign Legion and its affiliates,
including the North American Discworld Society and other continental
groups, Wossname is now for Discworld and Pratchett fans everywhere in
Roundworld.

Editor in Chief: Annie Mac
News Editor: Vera P
Newshounds: Mogg, Sir J of Croydon Below, the Shadow, Wolfiekins, Mss C,
Alison not Aliss
Staff Writers: Asti, Pitt the Elder, Evil Steven Dread, Mrs Wynn-Jones
Staff Technomancers: Jason Parlevliet, Archchancellor Neil, DJ Helpful
Book Reviews: Annie Mac, Drusilla D'Afanguin, Your Name Here
Puzzle Editor: Tiff (still out there somewhere)
Emergency Staff: Steven D'Aprano, Jason Parlevliet
World Membership Director: Steven D'Aprano (in his copious spare time)

01) QUOTES OF THE MONTH
02) EDITOR'S LETTER
03) TRIBUTE VIDEO! SHARE YOUR FAVOURITE PRATCHETT QUOTES
04) COLLECTOR'S SPECIAL EDITION HARDBACK OF THE SHEPHERD'S CROWN
05) ERIC ON THE WIRELESS
06) TIFFANY ACHING: DELETED SCENES
07) ANOTHER RADIO TREAT
08) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS
09) CLOSE

01) QUOTES OF THE MONTH

"My father's own death was more protracted. He had a year's warning. It
was pancreatic cancer. Technology kept him alive, at home and in a state
of reasonable comfort and cheerfulness, for that year, during which we
had those conversations that you have with a dying parent. Perhaps it is
when you truly get to know them, when you ­realise that it is now you
marching ­towards the sound of the guns and you are ready to listen to
the advice and reminiscences that life was too crowded for up to that
point. He ­unloaded all the anecdotes that I had heard before, about his
time in India during the war, and came up with a few more that I had
never heard. Then, at one point, he suddenly looked up and said, 'I can
feel the sun of India on my face', and his face did light up rather
magically, brighter and happier than I had seen it at any time in the
previous year, and if there had been any justice or even narrative
sensibility in the ­universe, he would have died there and then, shading
his eyes from the sun of Karachi. He did not."

– from Shaking Hands with Death, the 2010 Richard Dimbleby lecture. And
of course The Author then turned that beautiful but ultimately
heartbreaking "sun of India" scene into a far happier ending for the
Baron of the Chalk in I Shall Wear Midnight

"No one remembers the singer. The song remains."

– from The Last Hero. But in the case of Sir Terry Pratchett, both will
be remembered

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

02) LETTER FROM YOUR EDITOR

Rushing out an early edition for some exciting (and for some of it,
time-dependent) news – especially item 3, about the Random House tribute
video, and item 5 – Eric on the wireless. And speaking of tributes,
there's still almost a week to go to reach that Kickstarter goal for
making a tribute film at Sasquan this month:

"Terry Pratchett was a beloved figure at Worldcons for over 30 years. In
this, the year of his passing, we're filming a love letter to Terry in
the form of a fan-made documentary (this documentary has not been
officially approved by Terry Pratchett's estate) at Sasquan / Worldcon
2015, which is being held August 19-23 in Spokane, Washington. Our film
will be based on interviews with attending fans who are willing to share
their memories of Terry and tell stories about the way the Discworld
books have changed their lives.This is an excellent time to make our
film as The Great Discworld Fan Gathering is set to take place at
Sasquan; a first for any Worldcon.

"There have always been Discworld fans at Worldcons but this will be the
first time we've asked them to come out in force, and proudly state The
Turtle Moves.  Sasquan, in their turn, has welcomed Discworld fans with
open arms and is offering programing, events, exhibits and meets in
Terry's honor. We have the con's permission to make this film, and we'll
be there throughout the convention asking fans of the books – as well as
people who knew and worked with Sir Terry - what they would like the
world to remember about this funny, and very special man.

"We'll film the Discworld exhibit and take note of Discworld art at the
convention, as well. We'll record Discworld cosplayers and gamers as
they travel the convention. We'll record the best parts of panels,
including the Terry Pratchett memorial panel, the Science and Technology
of Discworld panels, and the Women of Discworld panel. You'll hear and
see the great stories that result. Best of all, we'll interview the
fans; people from all over the world who love the books, and who
partied, chatted and laughed with Terry over the years.

"This film is being made by fans for fans, and is a non-profit effort.
We'll post the budget and all expenses online so you can see where your
money goes. Any funds left over from the making of this film will go to
Terry's approved charities, which include Alzheimer's Research and the
Orangutan Foundation.

"Please help us capture some wonderful memories of a man we all admire.
Thank you, and Ook!"

To contribute, and to see further details about how the money will be
spent, go to:

http://kck.st/1E9hdJl

On with the show – even if it's a short one!

– Annie Mac, Editor

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

03) TRIBUTE VIDEO: SHARE YOUR FAVOURITE PRATCHETT QUOTES

 From Random House Australia, calling out across the Roundworld:

"Around the world, fans of Terry Pratchett are coming together to take
part in a video tribute dedicated to the legendary Discworld series. In
photographing themselves with their most treasured quote from Discworld,
people are capturing the delight, humour and fantastic adventure of
these beloved books. These photographs will be woven together into a
tribute video, to be released on YouTube later this year.

"27 August 2015 will mark the end of an era as the final book in the
Discworld series, THE SHEPHERD'S CROWN, is published. It is also the
final day you can submit your photos for inclusion in the tribute video,
organised by Penguin Random House Australia.

"Anyone, anywhere can take part. Simply take a photo of yourself and
your favourite quote from Discworld or Terry Pratchett – costumes,
friends and pets optional – and email us it to us at
theshepherdscrown at penguinrandomhouse.com.au

"With the final Discworld book almost upon us, a video tribute seems a
fitting way to channel our appreciation for Terry Pratchett's words.
Send us your contribution before 27 August 2015, the day THE SHEPHERD'S
CROWN is released, and we'll take it from there – so you can get on with
reading."

For more information, and to see some samples of Discworld fans and
their tribute quotes, go to:

http://bit.ly/1IHQ1SV

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

04) COLLECTOR'S SPECIAL EDITION HARDBACK OF THE SHEPHERD'S CROWN

Editor's note: unsurprisingly, the limited edition sold out in a matter
of minutes – 120 of them, in fact. But I am reprinting this anyway, so
we can all sigh for what we missed!

 From Laura at terrypratchettbooks.com:

"Penguin Random House UK Children's are honoured to announce a very
special collector's edition hardback of The Shepherd's Crown by Sir
Terry Pratchett, with an exclusive art print from the illustrator of the
Discworld novels, Paul Kidby. The edition will be published on 5th
November.

"The luxury gold edition, packaged in a foiled 'honeycomb' slipcase,
will be limited to just 500 copies. Each copy will be numbered and
stamped by Rob Wilkins, Terry's close friend, using the 'Order of the
Honeybee' insignia which is reserved for the special correspondence of
Terry's office. With a beautiful debossed bee image on the front and
back and bespoke bee ribbon bookmark, this special hardback contains
special full-colour endpaper images from Discworld illustrator Paul
Kidby, and a limited-edition colour print, signed and numbered by Kidby
to match each book.

"The endpapers feature two never-before-seen colour illustrations: the
landscape of Granny Weatherwax's home in Lancre, and Tiffany Aching's
beloved Chalk. The exclusive signed and numbered print will feature an
image of Tiffany standing on the Chalk, accompanied by the Wee Free Men.
This is the image that Paul Kidby says he wanted to draw to honour Terry.

"In addition there are four commentaries on the folklore of the book
from Jacqueline Simpson, co-author of The Folklore of Discworld, which
include insights into shepherds' crowns and bees – which are a central
motif of this final novel.

"Kidby says: 'When I read the first Tiffany Aching book I felt an
immediate affinity for the Chalk as described by Terry, having lived on
the Wiltshire downlands myself. Capturing aspects of this special
landscape with pencil and paint was therefore a profoundly personal
experience; illustrating the final Discworld novel written by Terry even
more so. As I drew I remembered snippets of our conversations about
folklore, gardening and recipes for nettle soup. We shared a love for
the Chalk that seemed to exert a creative energy for us both.  Our time
is short, we must make the most of it and take care of the natural world
around us which generates so much inspiration. Terry's writing helps to
remind us of this, which is just one of the reasons I will always be
grateful to him.'

"Rob Wilkins adds: 'The publication of The Shepherd's Crown is a
momentous occasion and I am delighted that fans are to be offered an
exclusive art print from Paul Kidby, a phenomenal talent who truly
captures Discworld as Terry saw it. The combination of the limited
edition print and the specially commissioned endpaper artwork makes for
a very special and beautiful collector's edition of The Shepherd's Crown.'"

To view the original announcement, go to http://bit.ly/1MICqRg

The Waterstones price is listed at £100.00:

http://bit.ly/1T4Qh43

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

05) ERIC ON THE WIRELESS

A BBC radio play in four parts, adapted by Robin Brooks and starring
Mark Heap and Will Howard, starting next Monday (10th August) on BBC
Radio 4 at 6.15pm:

1/ 4 (13 minutes): When precocious young Eric Thursley summons a demon
from the loathsome pit to fulfil his every wish, he certainly gets what
he asked for. Just... not exactly what he asked for. That's the problem
with wishes.

Rincewind ..... Mark Heap
Eric ..... Will Howard
Death ..... Geoffrey Whitehead
Archchancellor ..... Robert Blythe
Parrot ..... Ben Crowe
Demon King Astfgl ..... Nicholas Murchie
Screwpate ..... Michael Shelford
Mother ..... Christine Absalom
Narrator ..... Rick Warden

Director ..... Jonquil Panting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01r0zb9

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

06) TIFFANY ACHING: DELETED SCENES

 From the "private musings of Tiffany Aching", courtesy of Penguin Books:

On becoming:

"Tiffany didn't often have nightmares, but sometimes, when she couldn't
sleep, she found herself worrying about who she was and why she was and
where she was and how she had got there. The tinkling and occasional
twang answered the last question, and all the others amounted to whom
would you have been by now if you hadn't been who you are?

"Supposing on that spring day young Tiffany Aching hadn't gone down to
the stream with a frying pan because a monster had scared her brother.
They could have gone for a walk in an entirely different direction!
Would the Tiffany who didn't take her brother down to the stream on that
day have ended up as a witch? What would she be doing now? Would she
have become a witch anyway, bouncing through life until she landed in
the slot marked witch? Supposing one of the other girls had gone down to
the river that day? Would she be the witch today, watching Tiffany
Aching being prodded by that stupid old woman with the stick, and
dreaming and hoping that she would meet a village boy who would make a
decent enough husband with enough manners to get out of the tin tub when
he wanted a wee.

"It was a suddenly intriguing question because one answer meant that you
could never change anybody, and that was horrible."

On witches:

"Somehow everybody knew that witches were bad and witches were trouble
and witches were a problem.

"Everybody knows, everybody knows, who knows what everybody knows? What
is something that everybody knows? Is it something you've heard more
than once? Who has made up all the things that everybody knows? Where
did they come from, all these things that everybody knows? Who has been
hanged for what everybody knows? Who has thrown stones for what
everybody knows? And where does it all break down, when all everybody
knows is what everybody says?"

On naming a baby Tiffany:

"There were the days when a potion really worked, or because of you a
man could use his hand again, or a woman could walk again. Sometimes,
when she had delivered a baby the delighted mother would ask her, if the
baby was a girl, whether she could be named after Tiffany. She always
said yes, but when the time came, it never happened. The child got a
different name, one that ran in the family, perhaps, or one the mother
really liked. Or maybe someone had wondered whether it was a good thing
to name a baby after a witch. You didn't mind, or at least you didn't
mind where anyone could see."

On Granny Weatherwax:

"She wondered if Granny Weatherwax ever truly slept. She knew that the
old woman lay down on a bed quite often, with a square of cardboard
affixed to a string around her neck, and it read 'I Ate'nt Dead'. In
fact it meant that granny was letting her mind ride unnoticed in the
mind of a bird or of an animal, to keep an eye on what was happening in
the world, and on the other hand perhaps it was there to reassure her if
she woke up."

http://summerofpenguin.com/2015-08-03/terry-pratchetts-discworld

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

07) ANOTHER RADIO TREAT

One from the vaults: a 15-minute reading from Good Omens, by Jon
Strickland at the 2012 Cheltenham Literary Festival.

It's the wonderful scene (pages 74-79 in the Gollancz hardcover) in
which Carmine 'Red' Zuigiber, aka War, gets her special delivery that
signals the Apocalypse is nigh.

Auntie Beeb says: 'The towering double act's funny yet sinister sci-fi
story.'

This programme will be available to listeners all over the world for the
next 28 days. It really is quite good! To listen, go to:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01n7jpv

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

08) DISCWORLD PLAYS UPDATES

8.1 REMINDER: ERIC AT THE EDINBURGH FRINGE (AUGUST)

The Duck in a Hat theatre company will premiere their adaptation of
Eric, adapted by Tim Foster, at the 2015 Edinburgh Fringe Festival.

"All amateur demonologist Eric wants is the usual three wishes: to live
forever, to rule the world and to have the most beautiful woman fall
madly in love with him. Instead he gets Rincewind, Discworld's most
incompetent wizard, and Rincewind's Luggage, Discworld's most dangerous
travel accessory. This brand new adaptation of Terry Pratchett's
hilarious parody of the Faust legend is an outrageous romp through time,
space and Hell that will leave Eric wishing once more – this time, quite
fervently – that he'd never been born."

When: 8th-22nd August (all dates excluding the 16th)
Venue: The Studio, Paradise in Augustines, 41 George IV Bridge,
Edinburgh EH1 1EL (phone 0131 510 0022)
Time: 7:15pm all shows
Tickets: £9.00 (concession £7.00, family £28.00)

http://duckinahat.weebly.com/eric.html
https://www.facebook.com/DuckInaHat
https://www.paradise-green.co.uk/show-details/brochure/details/1323/

8.2 REMINDER: WYRD SISTERS IN EXETER (AUGUST)

The Broadclyst Theatre Group will present their production of Wyrd
Sisters in August.

When: 13th, 14th and 15th August 2015
Venue: Broadclyst Victory Hall, The Green, Exeter, Devon EX5 3DX (phone
01392 467161)
Time: 7.30pm all shows
Tickets: £9 (£6.50 for under-14s), available from Broadclyst Post Office
or online via ticketsource.co.uk/broadclyst

09) CLOSE

And that's the lot for the moment. See you later this month!

– Annie Mac

Remember, the mirror version of this issue can be viewed at
http://wossname.dreamwidth.org/19330.html

The End. If you have any questions or requests, write: wossname-owner
(at) pearwood (dot) info