Wossname -- special announcement and corrections -- August 2015

News and reviews about the works of Sir Terry Pratchett wossname at pearwood.info
Tue Aug 25 12:53:32 AEST 2015

Wossname
SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT: A MELBOURNE SHEPHERD'S CROWN CORRECTION
August 2015 (Volume 18, Issue 8, Post 3)

Greetings, O Readers!

It's been brought to my attention that there is an erroneous piece of
vital information in the Shepherd's Crown Release Events section of
yesterday's main August issue (item 3.2). The item reads as follows:

For Fourecksians in or near Melbourne city centre at four o'clock in the
morning on 27th August, there's a Shepherd's Crown event at Dymocks in
Collins Street. Yes, four o'clock in the morning:

"A night of revelry to celebrate the arrival of the next... and last...
Discworld novel, the Shepherd's Crown. Come dressed suitably attired to
share in the spirit of the Discworld – with a prize for the best
Discworld character! Write your farewell, your tribute, your love letter
to the great creator and add to the giant Discworld mural. Engage in
games of skill, chance and dexterity against other Discworldians, and
stay to enjoy readings and tributes. Save the date, and make sure you're
there!"

When: Thursday 27th August 2015
Venue: Dymocks, 234 Collins Street, Melbourne 3000
Time: 4am!
Tickets: free

http://allevents.in/melbourne/shepherds-crown-release-celebration/445821345604654

When checking over the new issue, I thought the 4am start time seemed
more than a bit odd, but given the number of Shepherd's Crown events
starting near or at midnight I assumed the 4am time given in the link
was some sort of Wacky Australian Weirdness(TM). However, another member
of Wossname staff decided to investigate by talking to a live Dymocks
employee, and lo – the real story is somewhat different:

Yes, there *is* an event. But the proposed "night of revelry" is not an
official Dymocks function, although Dymocks have sanctioned it, and will
NOT start at 4am on Thursday the 27th but rather at 6pm on that day. The
All Events page still has the wrong time up, but that's exactly what it
is – the wrong time.

The people running this unofficial event are the Victorian Discworld
Klatch. According to Dymocks, it will be very informal and will likely
run for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Dymocks have also confirmed that copies of The
Shepherd's Crown will be available for purchase after 6pm on the 27th.

So again: the Shepherd's Crown event at Dymocks Melbourne starts at 6pm
on Thursday 27th August 2015. For real. Trust me on this – this time!

[At least it wasn't my fault – Ed.]

  *

But while we're here, there was a mistake in the issue that *was* my
fault. Item 4.3 should have read

THE MAKING OF NANNY OGG'S COOKBOOK FRENCH COVER ART!

Here be a series of screencaps of illustrator Marc Simonetti's process:

http://www.itsartmag.com/features/making-of-nanny-oggs-cookbook/

instead of

THE MAKING OF NANNY OGG'S FRENCH COVER ART!

The Making of Nanny Ogg's Cookbook cover art by Marc Simonetti
series of screencaps [investigate and write more]
http://www.itsartmag.com/features/making-of-nanny-oggs-cookbook/

Somehow, during the proofreading stage, I missed that one. I've already
posted a correction to the Wossname blog
(_http://wossname.dreamwidth.org/20850.html_) but now you can thumb your
noses at me from the comfort of your inbox...

That's the lot, folks. See you next month!

– Annie Mac