Wossname -- April 2016 -- Main issue

News and reviews about the works of Sir Terry Pratchett wossname at pearwood.info
Sat Apr 30 17:27:54 AEST 2016

Wossname
April 2016 (Volume 19, Issue 4, Post 1)

WOSSNAME is a free publication offering news, reviews, and all the other
stuff-that-fits pertaining to the works of Sir Terry Pratchett.
Originally founded by the late, great Joe Schaumburger for members of
the worldwide Klatchian Foreign Legion and its affiliates, including the
North American Discworld Society and other continental groups, Wossname
is now for Discworld and Pratchett fans everywhere in Roundworld.

Editor in Chief: Annie Mac
News Editor: Vera P
Newshounds: Mogg, Sir J of Croydon Below, the Shadow, Mss C, Alison not
Aliss
Staff Writers: Asti, Pitt the Elder, Evil Steven Dread, Mrs Wynn-Jones
Staff Technomancers: Jason Parlevliet, Archchancellor Neil, DJ Helpful
Book Reviews: Annie Mac, Drusilla D'Afanguin, Your Name Here
Puzzle Editor: Tiff (still out there somewhere)
Emergency Staff: Steven D'Aprano, Jason Parlevliet
World Membership Director: Steven D'Aprano (in his copious spare time)

01) QUOTES OF THE MONTH
02) EDITOR'S LETTER
03) THE TERRY PRATCHETT MEMORIAL IN LONDON
04) ODDS AND SODS
05) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS
06) DISCWORLD GAMES NEWS
07) DISCWORLD MEETING GROUPS NEWS
08) DISCWORLD ARTS AND CRAFTS NEWS
09) AROUND THE BLOGOSPHERE
10) ROUNDWORLD TALES: THE REAL WORLD OF POO
11) IMAGES OF THE MONTH
12) CLOSE

01) QUOTES OF THE MONTH

"As the forest of the Indonesian Leuser Ecosystem continues to be
cleared to meet demand for Palm Oil, the critically endangered Sumatran
orangutan is being pushed to the brink of extinction. Here, at the
Sumatran Orangutan Conservation Programme's Orangutan Quarantine Center,
rescued orangutans are rehabilitated so they can be released back into
the wild. If we don't stop this rampant destruction, the Leuser
Ecosystem and the Sumatran orangutans that call it home could be lost
forever."
– Leonardo di Caprio

"Don't let elves and dwarves fool you. Fantasy is not divorced from our
world. It's a lens through which we explore it."
– Rhianna Pratchett on Twitter, 6 April 2016

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

02) LETTER FROM YOUR EDITOR

A packed issue this month, so I won't make it any longer by inflicting
my wibblings on you. Instead, on with the show!

– Annie Mac, Editor

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

03) THE TERRY PRATCHETT MEMORIAL IN LONDON

Reminiscences of the evening from Bernard Pearson's blog:

"Terry Pratchett would have loved it... The memorial celebration started
with the music of Thomas Tallis and finished with Eric Idle.  It was
opened by Larry Finlay the top honcho in Transworld and hosted by Rob
who did the introductions like a professional, linking everything in
seamlessly. The Patrician of Ankh-Morpork put in a brief appearance;
Neil Gaiman and Tony Robinson read tributes and Rhianna spoke about
growing up with her Dad. We had songs (including Wintersmith) from Maddy
Prior and Steeleye Span and the fond memories of three of Terry's
editors. I have no recollection of what Pat and I said but it must have
been reasonably alright for the both of us to be invited back on stage
later in the proceedings. We stood in line with several other folk who
had been chosen by Terry to become members of the 'Venerable Order of
the Honeybee'. We have been entrusted to hold Terry's vision for the
future, each in our own way and each with our unique skills. Such an
accolade would be enough in itself you would have thought. But Terry had
planned even more –the gift of a gold bee pin –created with exquisite
ingenuity by master goldsmith Tom Lynall.  This is a true honour and a
piece of jewellery that I will always cherish along with the memory of
receiving it. And then Rob showed us the future: that this was not the
end of the story but a beginning of something new. Terry's world and
vision is being carried on in film and television... The Barbican
memorial was not a wake it was a bloody great wave, not of goodbye but
of friends across a divide. A divide that will be bridged by the things
yet to come, set in motion by those who loved him..."

https://thecunningartificer.com/2016/04/28/thoughts-on-what-would-have-been-terrys-68th-birthday/

This from the North American Discworld Convention gang. It's a Facebook
post but can be accessed by non-users:

"As we entered the auditorium, the first thing we saw was Sir Terry's
sparkling silhouette filling the screen and his voice filtering through
the speakers. Everyone had received a goodie bag on their seat. These
included a bottle of 'Ankh' Water (anything that's passed through
several pairs of kidneys has to be very pure indeed), a commemorative
book entitled 'Terry Pratchett: from birth to death, a writer', a pin
badge, a selection of photo postcards, a tin of dried frog pills and a
thoughtful pack of tissues. As the choir filed onto the stage, the
audience immediately fell silent. A picture of Lord Vetinari by Paul
Kidby was accompanied by the Patrician's warning, that no photos or
recordings were to be taken, on pain of death. And who in their right
mind would argue with Lord Vetinari? The choir, the Epiphoni Consort,
then gave us a beautiful rendition of Thomas Tallis' Spem in Alium...
Stephen Briggs then took the stage as the Patrician to introduce Rob
Wilkins, our host for the evening. Rob described how when he had asked
Terry about what he would like for his memorial, Terry's response was
"I'd want to be there". Terry also wanted to hit the right tone for the
memorial, especially if he wasn't able to attend, and this basically
meant some decent swearing, Monty Python style...

"Rhianna Pratchett, looking resplendent in red and carrying the sword
that Terry had created himself upon his knighthood, proceeded to deliver
the obituary she gave in December... Larry Finlay of Transworld
Publishers gave a touching speech and an amusing account of Terry's star
rating for bookshops that he had been to for signings. Apparently the
star rating extended to hotels too. We were also to have the pleasure of
Steeleye Span performing some of their hits from the Wintersmith
album... Three of Terry's editors gave us their accounts and some
favorite memories of Sir Terry. Philippa Dickinson recounted the times
when she would ask him to change something and his sometimes stubborn
reluctance to agree, while referring to her as a 'cantankerous cow!'.
Jennifer Brehl said she would miss the somewhat random phone calls she
would receive from him, to inform her of some new fact he had discovered
or story thread he was working on and the way he would tease her for
crying when they finally cracked the New York Times bestseller list –
it's only a list Jen. Anne Hoppe spoke of Sir Terry's delight in hearing
of children who had never picked up a book before picking one of his and
how it inspired them to continue. The letters he received from these
children who had gone on to become Professors of English, or writing
novels of their own and how it was all about paying it forward, not
awards. So even when the time came for him to drop the baton of fantasy
writing, someone would always be there to catch it before it hit the
ground...

"Rob told us of a day in October 2014 that he was away from the office
and Terry took the opportunity to write letters to those he loved most,
to be found after his death. Which they were on April 28th, Terry's
birthday, in 2015. These letters included his father of the bride speech
for Rhianna and a letter of advice for the wedding night. Rob read the
letter he had received out to us. There were more tears as Sir Terry's
words told us to appreciate each other and live life to the full,
because life is short... Then came news of future projects, including
the next in the Long Earth series, the Discworld coloring book, the
Discworld Encyclopedia, Small Gods the graphic novel, and a biography
written by Rob Wilkins himself. Adaptations that we have to look forward
to include the Wee Free Men, screenplay by Rhianna Pratchett; Mort,
screenplay by Terry Rossio; and the hotly anticipated Good Omens,
screenplay by Neil Gaiman, who had previously refused to adapt it on
numerous occasions as it was a collaboration and that's how they wanted
to keep it. However, it was a last request of Sir Terry's for Neil to
adapt the book, and this time he could not refuse – much to all the fans
delight..."

https://www.facebook.com/Ausdwcon/posts/10150620402424970

Sian Cain, in The Guardian:

"The evening was a celebration not only of Pratchett's life and work,
but also of the people he brought together. Some Discworld fans spoke of
travelling from the US and Australia. One recounted meeting her husband
when she appeared in a Discworld play he was directing. The musicians
and artists I spoke to, all choosing different elements of Pratchett's
creative output that had, in turn, inspired their own... Sir Tony
Robinson read Pratchett's Dimbleby lecture on Alzheimer's and assisted
dying, while the author's daughter, Rhianna, read the obituary she wrote
for the Observer. Dr Patrick Harkin, whose collection of Pratchett
ephemera includes an onion pickled by the man himself, appeared
alongside Discworld sculptor Bernard Pearson, as well as Pratchett's
publisher, Larry Finlay, and agent, Colin Smythe. Neil Gaiman flew in
from the States to read his introduction to Pratchett's 2014 non-fiction
collection A Slip of the Keyboard, and found himself presented with his
friend's trademark hat. Gaiman, looking a tad thunderstruck, placed it
for a moment on his head, but quickly took it off again, saying: 'Oh, I
don't dare.'

"Overall, the mood was fond. There was laughter at an early Pratchett
quote about writing more Discworld novels, when the author was quite
unaware of the fame and books that would follow ('I don't think I've
exhausted all the possibilities in one book'). Friends and editors
recalled his occasional cantankerousness, his delight at cracking
America and his vigorous campaigning to change the law on assisted
dying. Footage from an upcoming BBC documentary about Pratchett's life
showed the author – a little thinner, but still blessed with the same
humour – remembering his first impressions of The Wind in the Willows as
a child: 'The moles and badgers go into each others' houses! They had
hats! I thought: 'This is lies.'... fans were reassured that Pratchett's
legacy is in safe hands; Wilkins insisted once more that the 10
unfinished novels sitting in Pratchett's archives would not be published
or finished by another author. It was an evening that matched the deft
tone of Pratchett's work – joyful silliness mixed with wry philosophy
and honest, often humorous reflections on death. A night that began with
a solemn choir accompanying a montage of bookcovers falling through an
hourglass ended with a rousing version of Always Look on the Bright Side
of Life, led via video message by Eric Idle. Pratchett may not have been
there, but there is no doubt he would have enjoyed himself."

http://bit.ly/1TW9o4W

Katherine Cowdrey in The Bookseller:

A biography of Terry Pratchett written by his personal assistant Rob
Wilkins, a graphic novel by Pratchett and a Discworld Encyclopedia were
among the new publishing revealed at a memorial to celebrate the late
author last night (14th April)... While Transworld has not released any
more details on the projects, Wilkins revealed he would be writing the
biography on stage at the end of the memorial and said that Small Gods,
a graphic novel from Pratchett with new artwork by Ray Friesen, will
also be released, to be published on 28th July under the Doubleday
imprint. A 'Discworld encyclopaedia' is also in the pipeline. A host of
adaptations were also revealed. Along with Gaiman writing Good Omens for
the screen in a six-episode series, the book Mort is to be made into a
film by Terry Rossio, the second highest grossing screenwriter in the
world behind such successes as Disney's Aladdin, Shrek and Pirates of
the Caribbean, Wilkins revealed. The Wee Free Men is also being adapted
for the screen by Pratchett's daughter, Rhianna Pratchett, with further
details expected to be revealed at Comicon...

"Transworld m.d. Larry Finlay also spoke, adding: 'As the Discworld
world developed, Terry's novels just got better and better. His
characters richer and fuller. One of the joys of this world is it holds
up a sparkling distorted mirror to our own world in all its
complexities, it's joys, it's frustrations, it's brilliance and its
madness. Whether his keen lens scrutinised trade unions, or banking, or
prejudice, the cloth, bureaucracy or academia, Terry's novels shone a
light on us and the bizarre, baffling yet extraordinary rich tapestry of
our lives.' He closed: 'The PCA finally took Terry from this world on
12th March last year. It robbed him of so many more years of life,
family, friendships and writing, and it robbed us of so many more books
unwritten, so much invention, so many stories, so much wisdom and so
much joy – but, as Terry wrote in Reaper Man: 'No one is finally dead
until the ripples they caused in the world die away – until the clock he
wound up winds down'..."

http://www.thebookseller.com/news/pratchett-memorial-327142

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

04) ODDS AND SODS

4.1 GOOD OMENS TELLY ADAPTATION! BY NEIL GAIMAN!

In The Guardian, by Sian Cain:

"Neil Gaiman, the author and longtime friend of Sir Terry Pratchett, has
announced he will be writing the adaptation of their co-authored novel
Good Omens for the screen... Pratchett's longtime friend and assistant
Rob Wilkins recalled asking Gaiman to adapt Good Omens as they were
driving back from Pratchett's house, on one of the final occasions
Gaiman met with him before his death. He said he had approached Gaiman
because 'it required love, it required patience'... Released in 1990,
Good Omens was listed among the BBC's Big Read of the nation's 100
favourite books. Another adaptation of Pratchett's work was confirmed at
the memorial event on Thursday evening: a feature film of his 1987 novel
Mort. The second-highest-grossing screenwriter of all time, Terry Rossio
– who has written hits including Shrek, Aladdin and Pirate of the
Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl – will be writing the
adaptation, while Narrativia will co-produce it. Rhianna Pratchett is
also confirmed to be adapting her father's 2003 novel Wee Free Men into
a feature film..."

http://bit.ly/1p3d6Ng

By Jess Denham in The Independent:

"'Terry and I [initially] had a deal that we would only work on Good
Omens things together,' Gaiman said at a memorial event for Pratchett in
London last Thursday. 'Everything that was ever written, bookmarks and
tiny little things, we would always collaborate. Everything was a
collaboration.' When Gaiman finally agreed to adapt Good Omens by
himself, Pratchett sent him a letter shortly before his death, writing:
'I would very much like this to happen and I know, Neil, that you're
very very busy, but no one else could ever do it with the passion that
we share for the old girl. I wish I could be more involved and I will
help in any way I can.'... 'I've been working on the Good Omens scripts
for much of the last year, wishing that [Pratchett] was still here and
could help, even if it was just to take a phone call,' he wrote. 'It's
hard when I get stuck, and want to ask his advice. It's harder when I
come up with something clever or funny that's new and I want to call him
up and read it to him, and make him laugh or hear him point out
something I'd missed. We were always each other's first audiences for
Good Omens. That was the point. Neither of us had any idea whether or
not we'd be able to sell this odd book or not, when we were writing it,
but we knew that we could make the other one laugh. I'm now 72 per cent
of the way through the Good Omens scripts, and the end is in sight.'..."

http://ind.pn/1ShxemZ

On BoingBoing:

"After several false starts, including one that involved Terry Gilliam
and a groat, Neil Gaiman has announced that he will personally adapt he
and Terry Pratchett's outstanding, comedic apocalypse novel Good Omens
as a six-part TV series. Gaiman made the announcement at a memorial
event for Pratchett held last night in London, revealing that Pratchett
had left him a note urging him to do it. 'Absolutely not,' Gaiman
recalled replying, to laughter. 'Terry and I had a deal that we would
only work on Good Omens things together,' he explained. 'Everything that
was ever written – bookmarks and tiny little things – we would always
collaborate, everything was a collaboration. So, obviously, no.' But
Wilkins revealed to the audience that Pratchett had left a letter
posthumously for Gaiman. In the letter, Pratchett requested that the
author write an adaptation by himself, with his blessing. 'At that
point, I think I said, 'You bastard, yes,'' Gaiman recalled, to cheers.
'How much are we allowed to tell them?' Gaiman teased, before he was
hushed by Wilkins. 'Are we allowed to tell them it is a six-part
television series?'..."

https://boingboing.net/2016/04/15/from-beyond-the-grave-terry-p.html

In the NME:

"This isn't the first time producers have tried to bring the novel,
which sees an angel and a demon teaming up to defeat the antichrist, who
due to unfortunate circumstances turns out to be a boy growing up in the
English countryside, to the screen. In 2002, a Terry Gilliam pitch
reputedly involving Johnny Depp and Robin Williams fell through due to
issues with portraying the end of the world after 9/11. Another attempt,
in 2011, also featuring Gaiman, with another ex-Monty Python star, Terry
Jones, also came to nothing. BBC Radio 4 produced a version in 2014,
which brought Pratchett and Gaiman together to provide voicework, and
which was done deliberately so Sir Terry could enjoy the work while he
was still alive..."

http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/good-omens-neil-gaiman-and-terry-pratchett-comedy-/405035

...and Neil Gaiman's own blog post about it:

http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2016/04/good-omens-cheap-seats-and-memorial.html

4.2 PAUL KIDBY DISCWORLD COLOURING BOOK!!!

Now that adult colouring books are A Thing, it's good news for fans of
Paul Kidby's exquisite Discworld art:

"Gollancz is delighted to announce the acquisition of World Rights to
publish a colouring book of line drawings by Paul Kidby, Sir Terry
Pratchett's artist of choice. Gollancz Digital Publisher, Darren Nash,
brought the rights to Terry Pratchett's Discworld Colouring Book from
Rob Wilkins at Narrativia, who own and control the exclusive multimedia
and merchandising rights to all of Sir Terry's works, including his
Discworld characters and creations... Rob Wilkins said: 'Paul Kidby is
Terry Pratchett's artist of choice. Paul – in a seemingly effortless and
certainly modest way – breathed life into Terry's characters for more
than two decades.  Terry often commenting that Paul must have the
ability to step right into Discworld, because the accuracy with which he
depicts his creations often surpassed his own imagination.'...
Containing black-and-white line drawings based on his hugely popular
artwork as well as original pieces produced exclusively for this book,
Terry Pratchett's Discworld Colouring Book features iconic Discworld
personalities as Granny Weatherwax,  Sam Vimes, Rincewind, Tiffany
Aching and, of course, DEATH..."

http://discworld.com/press-release-colouring-book-announced/

"Gollancz Digital Publisher, Darren Nash, said, 'This is the perfect mix
of fad and phenomenon: adult colouring books and the UK's bestselling
Fantasy series. And the fact that it's come from Paul and Rob is a
guarantee that Sir Terry's creations will be treated with the respect
they deserve.' Rob Wilkins said: 'Paul Kidby is Terry Pratchett's artist
of choice. Paul – in a seemingly effortless and certainly modest way –
breathed life into Terry's characters for more than two decades. Terry
often commenting that Paul must have the ability to step right into
Discworld, because the accuracy with which he depicts his creations
often surpassed his own imagination.' Paul Kidby said: 'It's been a
great pleasure to select some of my favourite artworks and recreate them
as line drawings here ready for colouring. Now it's over to you to
embark upon the Discworld colouring-in extravaganza. The future is
bright; it's not orange, it's Octarine!'

"If Terry Pratchett's pen gave his characters life, Paul Kidby's brush
allowed them to live it.  He provided the illustrations for The Last
Hero, which sold over 300,000 copies, and has designed the covers for
the Discworld novels since 2002. He is also the author of the definitive
portfolio volume The Art Of Discworld."

To read the full press release, go to
http://discworld.com/press-release-colouring-book-announced/

Terry Pratchett's Discworld Colouring Book will be published by Gollancz
on the 11th August priced at £9.99. To pre-order a copy from
Discworld.com, go to:
http://bit.ly/1SlbsOF

4.3 DAVID LLOYD: TWO DAYS WITH TERRY PRATCHETT!

A podcast you definitely want to listen to!

"I found myself in the unlikely position of my day job being that of
dean of research at Trinity College, Dublin. My wife Annie, who is
immeasurably cleverer than I am, and who is also a long-time fan of the
goings-on on the Discworld, and I were at home in Dublin having a
conversation about honorary degrees. As you do. I was quite fixated on
Trinity College advancing candidates of international renown for these
honours. I was bringing my work home with me. Annie said, 'What about
Terry Pratchett?' Bing... Honorary degrees are not lightly bestowed.
Once proffered, the mechanics of ensuring their actual acceptance by the
nominee are complex. With high profile nominees, there's not usually a
direct link to the person. Ordinarily, a letter is dispatched to a third
party who is in a position to ask said person if they'll actually accept
the award. That way refusals are not seen as huge snubs, they may be
just miscommunications. Anyway, the third party in question in Terry's
case was Colin Smythe, Terry's long-time literary agent. Colin was the
man who first published Pratchett and launched Great A'Tuin into the
cosmos of print. Colin also happened to be a graduate of Trinity College
Dublin, and an honorary doctor of the institution to boot. (This is a
useful set of qualifications to hold, if an honorary degree offer is
coming from Trinity College Dublin to someone you know — particularly if
that someone might require some convincing to accept)

"'All the way to Ireland to dress up for a parchment? No bloody way—I'm
trying to write a book!' I'm paraphrasing. But that, apparently, was
Terry's initial reaction... unlikely circumstances relating to matters
Hibernian and academic led to arms being duly (though gently) twisted,
and the offer of a Trinity College honorary award was grudgingly
accepted. Whatever the reluctance behind the scenes in the UK, I was
determined that, for me at least, this would not be a missed opportunity...

"As Dean, my office was located in House 1 of Trinity College — in the
old college armoury to be precise. This abutted the provost's residence
at 1 Grafton Street: a Georgian Palladian townhouse of utter
magnificence, where VIPs are looked after on occasions such as this. The
house is truly splendid, with many period features spanning its Georgian
origins and later Victorian innovations, such as indoor loos and central
heating. The lavatory to which I escorted Terry was a late-adopted,
early Victorian affair, a pull-chain number, with a rather ornate
porcelain throne complete with the original wooden seat—in near mint
condition, lightly polished by generations of provostorial and deanly
buttocks. So proud were its creators that they had christened it 'The
Deluge' and emblazoned its name brazenly in brown glazed script just
beneath the rim, for all future users to marvel at. As Terry entered the
chamber of ablution, I heard an exclamation of pure joy... I waited
respectfully outside the door. There came a rattle of chain. The whoosh
of the Deluge deluging accompanied by a 'whoo-hoo' of pure delight from
Terry. It was the beginning of a beautiful friendship between man and
plumbing, which would eventually see the latter immortalised in print
several years later in The World of Poo..."

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/ockhamsrazor/david-lloyd-two-days-with-terry-pratchett/7286950

4.4 DISCWORLD DAY AT THE STORY MUSEUM!

Discworld Day sees The Story Museum celebrating the work of much loved
author Terry Pratchett. This year's Discworld Day at The Story Museum is
based on Terry Pratchett's Carnegie Medal winning novel The Amazing
Maurice & His Educated Rodents, in which a street smart cat, a gang of
educated rats and a 'stupid looking kid' pull off the swindle of the
century with unexpected consequences. Join us for a day of rat-tastic
events and activities including rat handling, tap dancing, magic tricks,
illustration, games and more!

When: Saturday 21st May 2016
Venue: Oxford Story Museum, Rochester House, 42 Pembroke Street, Oxford
OX1 1BP
Time: 10am-5pm
Tickets: "All events are included with museum entry unless otherwise
stated." Standard price for the museum entry is adults £7.50, under-18s
and concessions £5, family ticket: £20 (4 people including at least 1
child). Free entry for children under 2 and companions of disabled visitors.

Two extra special events on the day are "Dangerous Beans' Dinner" and
"Draw Along Read Along with Stephen Briggs and Neill Cameron". Details are:

Dangerous Beans' Dinner
"Join fellow Terry Pratchett fans for a very special two course dinner
party including rat themed cuisine (food will contain no actual rats) a
special Discworld quiz compiled by Jason Anthony, editor of Discworld
Monthly,and plenty of fun and frivolity. The guest of honour for the
evening will be Stephen Briggs, reader of the Discworld audio books,
mapper of Ankh Morpork and adapter of several of Terry's best loved
works for stage. Ticket price includes a two course meal. Ages 18+."

Time: 19:00-22:30
Tickets: £25, available at
http://www.oxfordplayhouse.com/ticketsoxford/index.aspx#event=20805

Draw Along Read Along with Stephen Briggs and Neill Cameron
"Join voice of the Discworld audio books Stephen Briggs and Phoenix
Comic artist Neill Cameron for a special read along draw along event. As
well as picking up tips on how to draw your very own rat, Stephen will
be reading extracts from the book as Neill draws live illustrations for
your enjoyment. A must for fans of Pratchett and aspiring illustrators
alike. Ages 8+."

Time: 14:00-15:00
Tickets: £7/£5, available at
http://www.oxfordplayhouse.com/ticketsoxford/index.aspx#event=20804

http://www.storymuseum.org.uk/whats-on/discworld-day/
http://www.storymuseum.org.uk/visit/

4.5 THE MORT THAT COULD HAVE BEEN!

The concept art for the (thankfully!) ill-fated Disney adaptation of
Mort is available to view.

 From Den of Geek:

"Back in 2010, there were strong rumours that Walt Disney Animation
Studios was set to make a movie based on Terry Pratchett's Discworld
novel, Mort. At the time, directors John Musker and Ron Clements were
linked with the project, although they eventually made Moana – due in
cinemas later this year – their latest project. However, it seems that
Mort was indeed a project very much under development at Disney, even if
it's no longer active. And former Disney animator Claire Keane has
uploaded some of the concept art from Mort to her website..."

The full collection of images lives at
http://www.claireonacloud.com/misc-development/

http://bit.ly/1VEc2O7

4.6 MY INSPIRATION: PRATCHETT

Children's author Tom Nicoll tells how the works of Terry Pratchett
inspired him as a child:

"The first book I ever read by Terry Pratchett was Truckers. This was
1992 and ITV were airing a fantastic stop-motion animation of it at the
time, produced by Cosgrove Hall. When I discovered the book in my local
library the opportunity to find out what happened before any of my
friends was too good to miss. So basically I read it for the exact same
reason I would read George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire 20 years
later. I had no way of knowing that this would be the book that would
inspire me to become a writer of funny stories. The book itself made no
mention of this. Not even a warning on the back... As much as I wanted
to race through it to find out what happened next, I soon learned that I
simply can't read a Terry Pratchett novel quickly. To do so runs the
risk of missing a joke and I simply can't have that. Not on my watch. It
wasn't just the quality of the jokes. It was the quantity and variety of
them. I would often spend ages rereading the same paragraphs, in awe of
how anyone could construct sentences so densely packed with humour. Like
the best satirists he could make the everyday seem absurd, but like
Douglas Adams he could also just as easily turn the absurd into the
perfectly logical. He'd treat old sayings and cliches on a par with the
laws of physics, like in the eighth Discworld book Guards, Guards where
saving the day rests entirely on the fact that million-to-one chances
always happen when you need them. And of course the footnotes..."

http://bit.ly/1SCAvxq

4.7 WASHING A WHITE HORSE

The Westbury White Horse, a A 175ft (53m) long chalk figure in Wiltshire
that was described as a 'bit of a grey mare', has been restored:

"Up to 20 volunteers have spent the weekend power cleaning the horse,
which is carved into a very steep slope.`The English Heritage monument
was steam cleaned in 2012. The cleaning project was organised by the
Westbury Rotary Club. Once clean, the hillfigure is due to be given a
new coat of white paint. Under the supervision of an expert climber, two
volunteers at a time are lowered down the face of the horse to blast
dirt and algae off its surface. Organiser Steve Carrington said weather
conditions over the weekend had been ideal 'to get the white horse white
again'... Westbury's horse is said to be the oldest in Wiltshire. It was
restored in 1778, but many believe it is far older than that..."

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-wiltshire-36066414 (includes video)

4.8 A CROSSING NEAR PEACH PIE STREET... OR NOT?

"Wincanton residents are still waiting for a pedestrian crossing
promised as part of a new housing estate seven years ago, it has
emerged. Taylor Wimpey agreed in 2009 that it would fund a crossing and
traffic calming measures on Common Road near its Kingwell Rise
development off Deanesly Way. The developer confirmed this week that
construction of homes at the site was completed in November 2014 and
that all the properties there have now sold. But a number of measures
agreed as part of a Section 106 deal are yet to become a reality... In
2009 several streets on the Kingwell Rise development were named after
fictional places in the works of the late author Terry Pratchett.
Treacle Mine Road, Peach Pie Street and Morpork Street are among the
roads on the estate named after Mr Pratchett's creations. The owner of
Wincanton's Pratchett-inspired shop the Discworld Emporium, Bernard
Pearson, said: 'It's a shame children can't cross the road safely. Sir
Terry Pratchett was very keen on children growing up to read his books!'..."

http://www.westerngazette.co.uk/Delays-promised-Wincanton-pedestrian-crossing/story-29115996-detail/story.html

4.9 LEONARDO DI CAPRIO, ORANGUTAN ACTIVIST

 From The Express:

"DiCaprio has been visiting the Sumatran rainforest this week to
highlight the threats its unique wildlife is facing in the wake of
rampant destruction. Timeless trees are making way for palm oil
plantations, putting pressure on a priceless population of tigers,
elephants, rhinos and great apes. DiCaprio posted this photograph after
visiting the Sumatran Orangutan Conservation Programme's quarantine
centre as part of his tour of the Mount Leuser National Park in Acehon
the northern tip of Sumatra, with friends and fellow actors Adrien Brody
and Fisher Stevens. Wearing a mask is vital to stop infections jumping
the species barrier... DiCaprio has become one of the world's highest
profile environment campaigners. The Leonard DiCaprio Foundation is
supporting a wide range of projects that protect vulnerable wildlife
from extinction while restoring balance to threatened ecosystems and
communities. Alongside the star's Instagram posting, he explains how the
lowland rainforest of Leuser Ecosystem is considered the world's best
remaining habitat for critically endangered animals..."

https://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/657472/Leonardo-DiCaprio-orangutan-selfie-animal-campaign-oscars-revenant

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

05) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS

5.0 NEW: WYRD SISTERS IN BEDFORDSHIRE (JUNE)

The Masquerade Theatre Group will be bringing their production of Wyrd
Sisters to the stage in early June.

When: Friday 3rd & Saturday 4th June 2016
Venue: Parkside Community Hall, Woburn Street, Ampthill, Bedfordshire
MK45 2HX (phone 01525 634 215)
Time: 7:45pm
Tickets: £10, available from 07817528077 or masqueradetheatregroup at gmail.com

5.1 NEW: WYRD SISTERS IN MARYLAND! (MAY)

Haaaags... in... spaaaaace! Well, not really, but MAD – the Music and
Drama Club of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Maryland – are
putting on their production of Wyrd Sisters in May!

When: 6th–21st May 2016
Venue: Barney & Bea Recreation Center, Goddard Space Flight Center,
Greenbelt, Maryland
Time: 8pm Fridays and Saturdays, 3pm Sundays
Tickets: $16 in advance, but special prices for the opening weekend: $14
Friday & Saturday and $12 Sunday (Mother's Day). Tickets at the door
will be $20 for all performances. To purchase online, go to
https://app.arts-people.com/index.php?ticketing=mad

The MAD website has a trailer for the production.

http://www.madtheater.org/

5.2 UPDATE : LORDS AND LADIES IN NEWCASTLE (JULY)

The People's Theatre, "the premier amateur theatre company in the North
of England", will stage their production of Lords and Ladies, adapted by
Irana Brown, in July. "We're no strangers to Discworld and this funny
and fast-moving adaptation of (the much-missed) Sir Terry's fourteenth
novel sees the welcome return of Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg to our
stage. It promises to be lots of fun, so book early to avoid
disappointment!"

The production dates have been unavoidably rescheduled, moving back by a
week from the original schedule of 12th-16th July. See below!

When: 19th–23rd July 2016
Venue: People's Theatre, Stephenson Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE6 5QF.
Phone: (0191) 275 9875
Time: 7.30pm all shows
Tickets: £13.50 (£11 concessions). Box Office on 0191 265 5020 or email
tickets.peoplestheatre at email.com. (Box Office is open weekdays
10.30am–1pm and Mon, Wed, Fri evenings 7.30–8.30pm). To book online, go
to the inappropriately-named Intelligent Tickets, and be prepared to
jump through a truly daft series of hoops:
http://www.intelligent-tickets.co.uk/index.php?th=pe

http://bit.ly/1lMl3Vj

5.3 REMINDER: WYRD SISTERS IN READING (MAY)

Caversham Park Theatre will present their production of Wyrd Sisters
next month.

"If you have never experienced the late Sir Terry Pratchett's Discworld
but wonder what you might have missed... Caversham Park Theatre is proud
to stage Wyrd Sisters. We hope you will dip your toe into Sir Terry's
Discworld and discover a whole new universe of thoughtful comedy."

When: 12th, 13th and 14th May 2016
Venue: Milestone Centre, Northbrook Rd, Caversham, Reading, RG4 6PF
Time: 8pm for 12th and 13th April, 7pm for 14th April
Tickets: £7.00, available by phone (01189 481 377) or online at
https://www.ticketsource.co.uk/event/118288
Book online at: www.cavparktheatre.org.uk or phone 0118-948-1377

5.4 REMINDER: LORDS AND LADIES IN SWITZERLAND (MAY)

The Gay Beggars theatre group of the University of Basel will present
their production of Lords and Ladies, adapted by Irana Brown, in May!

When: 1st, 3rd, 6th and 7th May 2016
Venue: Cellar Theatre of the English Seminar, University of Basel,
Nadelberg 6
Time: 8pm all shows, except 1st May which starts at 5pm
Tickets: CHF25 (students, apprentices, AHV, IV CHF15). There is a group
discount for school classes of CHF10  per student; contact
reservations at gay beggars.ch for groups of 10 or more. Tickets can be
reserved by emailing reservations at gaybeggars.ch. "Reserved tickets must
be picked up at the evening box office (opens one hour before the show).'

http://www.gaybeggars.ch/

5.5 REMINDER: WYRD SISTERS IN SOMERSET (MAY)

The Minehead Dramatic Society will stage their production of Wyrd
Sisters in May.

When: 13, 14 and 15th May 2016
Venue: Regal Theatre, 10-16 The Avenue, Minehead, Somerset, TA24 5AY
(phone 01643 706430)
Time: 7.30pm all shows
Tickets: Adults £8.00, Friends £7.50, ES40's/Students £4.00. Online
tickets can be purchased by logging in to http://bit.ly/21MET1d and
clicking on the date of your choice. "Please note that tickets cannot be
purchased, on-line, on the same day as the performance. Please call into
the box office or telephone 01643 706430 (Monday to Saturday 10.00am to
3.00pm)"

http://regaltheatre.co.uk/
http://regaltheatre.co.uk/whatson/?pno=2

5.6 REMINDER: MORT IN HESSE, GERMANY (MAY)

The Helden Theatre will be staging their production of Gevatter Tod
(that's the Deutsche title of Mort) in May 2016!

When: Saturday 21st and Sunday 22nd May 2016
Venue: Theater Altes Hallenbad, Haagstrasse 29, 61169 Friedberg
Time: 7.30pm Saturday 21st, 3.30pm Sunday 22nd
Tickets: €10  concessions €8). To purchase online, go to
http://bit.ly/1Rbt0MP and click on the Tickets button

http://heldentheater.de

5.7 NEW: WYRD SISTERS IN RICHMOND, YORKSHIRE (JULY)

The Richmond Amateur Dramatic Society will be staging their production
of Wyrd Sisters in July

When: 28th–30th July and 4th–6th August 2016
Venue: Georgian Theatre Royal, Victoria Road, Richmond, North Yorkshire,
DL10 4DW
Time: 7.30pm all shows
Tickets: £6.50  to £12.50, available online at
https://tickets.georgiantheatreroyal.co.uk/ or ring the box office 01748
825252

http://www.richmond-ads.org.uk/
http://www.georgiantheatreroyal.co.uk/

5.8 REMINDER: MORT IN YORK (JULY)

We Are Theatre will be presenting their production of Mort in July.
Getting closer now...

When: 21st and 22nd June 2016
Venue: Joseph Rowntree Theatre, Haxby Road, York YO31 8TA
Time: 7.30pm all shows
Tickets: £10 (£8 concessions), available from the York Theatre Royal box
office (phone 01904 623568). For group bookings, contact
wearetheatre at googlemail.com or ring 07521 364107

www.wearetheatre.co.uk

5.9 NEW: GOING POSTAL IN CARDIFF (AUGUST)

The Monstrous Productions Theatre Company,  who specialise in staging
Pratchett plays and have so far raised – and donated – over £18,000 for
Alzheimer's Research UK, are taking on the Ankh-Morpork Post Office for
their next project!

"Moist Von Lipwig is a conman, forger and all-round confidence
trickster, always on the look out for the next big game. Until one of
his many personas has a run-in with the law and is hanged to within a
inch of his life. And so begins the biggest game of all. He must restore
Ankh-Morpork's defunct post office to it's former glory or else have a
second shot at dancing the hemp fandango. On his side he has the Disc's
oldest junior postman, Stanley ('ask me about pins!') and his pottery
probation officer, Mr Pump. It's a mighty task, made mightier by
competition from Ankh-Morpork's newest technology, the Clacks, and its
piratical owner, Reacher Gilt."

When: 17th–20th August 2016
Venue: The Gate Arts Centre, Keppoch Street, Roath, Cardiff CF24 3JW
Time: 7.30pm evening shows (doors open at 7pm); 2.30pm matinee on the
20th (doors open 2pm)
Tickets: £8 (£6 concessions), available from
http://7889269b08cd.fikket.com/ – also by email
(monstrousproductions2012 at gmail.com, pay by cheque or bank transfer)

Also, if you are local to the Cardiff area (or fond of travelling), the
Monstrous company works to a great model: "We announce auditions for
upcoming productions about a month before casting. We have a laid back
audition process and people travel from all over the South Wales area.
No experience is necessary, our only stipulation is that members must be
over 18 and younger than 70. Membership is £10 per year. We rehearse
twice a week over the course of a few months, with some social
activities thrown in."

http://www.monstrousptc.com/

5.10 NEW: GUARDS! GUARDS! IN BRISBANE (OCTOBER)

The Brisbane Arts Theatre takes on yet another Discworld play later this
year, in October and November.

"From the legendary author Sir Terry Pratchett comes the eighth novel in
the Discworld series and first featuring the Ankh-Morpork City Watch.
Long believed extinct, a superb specimen, The Noble Dragon has appeared
in Discworld's greatest city. Not only does this unwelcome visitor have
a nasty habit of charbroiling everything in its path, in rather short
order it is crowned King (it is a noble dragon, after all). With some
help from an orangutan librarian, it is the task of the Night Watch to
overpower the secret brotherhood and restore order to the kingdom in
this fantastical Discworld adventure."

When: 8th October through 12th November 2016
Venue: Brisbane Arts Theatre, 210 Petrie Terrace, Brisbane, QLD 4000.
Phone: (07) 3369 2344
Time: 8pm Thursdays, Fridays & Saturdays (except 10th November); 6.30pm
Sundays (16th & 30th October)
Tickets: Adults $31, Concession $25, Group 10+ $25, Group 75+ $20,
Student Rush $10 (10 mins before curtain), available online at
http://bit.ly/1QGbXBF

http://www.artstheatre.com.au/show/guardsguards

5.11 NEW: CARPE JUGULUM IN SLOUGH (JULY)

Colnbrook Amateur Stage Theatre aka CAST will stage their production of
the Stephen Briggs adaptation of Carpe Jugulum in July! The main roles
have already been cast, but there are "still supporting roles available
if anyone would like to join the cast!!!"

When: 13th–16th July 2016
Venue: CAST, Colnbrook Village Hall,. Vicarage Way, Colnbrook, Berks SL3
0RF. Phone 07944 215487 (Secretary)
Time: 7.45pm all shows
Tickets: TBA. Normally £8 (£6 concessions), eventually available online
at http://www.cast-online.org.uk/box-office/

http://www.cast-online.org.uk/

5.12 REVIEW: THE SHAKESPEARE CODEX

By Alex Ballingeron for the Oxfordshire Guardian:

"The most poignant part of Briggs' latest tale, The Shakespeare Codex,
hit me around halfway through the first act: this would be the first of
the last of Pratchett on stage, since Bill Door came knocking last
March. The great man is no longer here to spew out his powerful
imagination, not around to pen new tales for us to stage, so we are left
without additions to the Discworld saga. But because of this, I loved
The Shakespeare Codex: it was something special, a barrage of farce and
wit that would have made Pratchett proud. And seeing the works of
Pratchett and the Bard side by side felt nothing but appropriate and I
quickly came to see that this was not the beginning of the end, because
his work would survive him. In the year 2415, I would expect to see a
year's worth of events commemorating the 400th anniversary of
Pratchett's passing.  This  play sees a band of wizards battle elves to
ensure Shakespeare pens his timeless works. Stand-out performances came
from Dan Booth as the terrified and inept wizard Rincewind, the lynchpin
of the Unseen University, Ponder Stibbons, played by Brian Mackenwells,
and Natasha Warner as the Elf Queen. Rory Morrison also played
Shakespeare with the likeability we all hope the real playwright had.
The charming touch of the am drams doesn't detract anything from the
tale and Briggs' sense of humour doesn't blunt in transition from
Pratchett's sharp nib..."

http://www.oxfordshireguardian.co.uk/the-first-of-the-last-terry-pratchett-versus-the-bard/

5.13 REVIEWS: THE WEE FREE MEN IN ADELAIDE

By Christine Pyman for Broadway World:

"Every Sir Terry Pratchett story is magic, and Unseen Theatre Company's
2016 world premier of The Wee Free Men, at Adelaide's Bakehouse Theatre,
is no exception. In fact, it's totally enthralling and sheer magic to
experience this production... Alycia Rabig plays Miss Tick, with a
suitably strait laced respect-commanding manner, reminiscent of every
clever teacher you've ever known. Hugh O'Connor is Toad, effortlessly
being more amphibian than anyone could possibly expect from an actor
that Unseen audiences know better as the anthropomorphic entity DEATH.
As Toad, he spends his time giving laconic advice, until he truly comes
into his own when memories surface and he steps in to save the day, or
at least one battle of it. The set was cleverly designed with three
separate areas, allowing audience attention to be directed by use of
lighting. The Wee Free Men of the title, known for their thieving ways,
were used for set changes, which added to their shenanigans.

"Tiffany is brought to life by Josephine Giorgio, an outstanding young
actor in her first role with Unseen. She breathes strength,
determination and sheer witchiness as she battles not only the Faerie
Queen, but the big questions in her life, such as why she wants her
annoying little brother back, and exactly where is the witch school?
During her adventure, which is an adventure of self-realisation, she is
accompanied by the Wee Free Men, led by the Big Man of the Nac Mac
Feegle clan, Rob Anybody, portrayed by Harold Roberts, resplendent in
filthy Feegle gear, tattoos, tangled beard, and convincing accent..."

http://bit.ly/1rpVKw6

By Sebastian Cooper for InDaily:

"Directed and adapted for stage by Pamela Munt, The Wee Free Men is a
light-hearted story which ebbs and flows at the whim of the actors. The
Nac Mac Feegle – or Wee Free Men, as they are better known – form an
important part of the story. The hilarious band of bumbling blue brutes
love to steal, drink and fight, and are terrified of lawyers. Some
questionable Glaswegian accents occasionally prove a burden when trying
to follow the story, but they always provoke giggles. Giorgio refuses to
be outshone by her funny and rowdy cast-mates, presenting Tiffany as
headstrong and confident; she's a character audience members will cheer
for. Capturing the naivety and wonderment of a child, however, can be
difficult, and I missed that part of Tiffany. The use of the thieving
Nac Mac Feegle to remove props and sets is a clever and humorous way to
maximise a low-budget set design, while clever lighting and wonderful
costumes make for fantastic visuals. Once again, Unseen Theatre Company
has produced a wonderful tribute to Discworld and its late creator. This
is a great production for adults and children alike, and a fantastic way
to get your kids into literature by the great Terry Pratchett..."

http://indaily.com.au/arts-and-culture/theatre/2016/04/19/theatre-review-the-wee-free-men/

...and if you haven't time to visit the age and read the whole review
right now, do have a shufti at this wonderful photo of Miss Tick and
Tiffany:
http://indaily.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Wee-Free-Men-2-Bakehouse-Theatre.jpg
– Ed.

By Anthony Vawser for Stage Whispers:

"The first half-hour or so is highly promising indeed, offering up
generous servings of Pratchett's typically delightful wordplay and
clever wit, delivered by the cast -- including, but not limited to,
Olivia Cameron as Footnote the Narrator -- with sharp timing and elegant
enunciation. There is also amusement generated in the early stages by
illustrating comically quirky metaphysical ideas using decidedly
low-tech design concepts. The characters of Tiffany, Toad, and Miss Tick
establish themselves in their initial scene as an engaging and dynamic
triple act. It is made clear that Tiffany will have a somewhat spikier
personality than your average heroine, which adds an extra layer of
intrigue. The blue-skinned title characters are colourfully quirky,
making an undeniably impressive visual impact through facial hair-pieces
and make-up. Toad is fantastically well-costumed in a yellow suit,
complementing Hugh O'Connor's excellent physical acting and facial
expressions, while Tiffany is herself appropriately tailored to remind
us of Lewis Carroll's Alice. Unfortunately, the story that attempts to
bring these elements together – as well as to bring the audience along
with them – never quite becomes compelling enough, at least to a
non-devotee of Terry Pratchett's writing. Though the plotting feels less
busy and less convoluted here than what is usually found in the
Discworld series, this reviewer found it less interesting and never
fully engaging..."

http://www.stagewhispers.com.au/reviews/wee-free-men

By Nicola Woolford for Glam Adelaide:

"The Wee Free Men delivered tongue-in-cheek humour, honoured the fantasy
of the original novel, and boasted an exemplary cast of amateur players.
Giorgio in particular should be praised, as she displayed great talent
for a year-12 student. The 'Wee Free Men' ensemble was unerring in their
portrayal of the pilfering pixies. Munt's adaptation was peppered with
clever, practical solutions – such as casting O'Conner as Toad, and her
inventive use of the 'Wee Free Men'. Having a fully-grown man wearing a
yellow suit, green tie and toe-socks with bright make-up at once added a
note of absurdity to the play and brought the character of Toad to life..."

http://www.glamadelaide.com.au/main/theatre-review-the-wee-free-men/

by Ewart Shaw in the Advertiser:

"If you know Pratchett you'll appreciate the challenges which face the
oxymoronically named Unseen Theatre. Their approach to magic is of the
sleight of hand variety, now you see it, now you see someone moving it
off the small Bakehouse stage... A lot of the useful details in the
background have been lost in the adaptation, and there's a limit to how
much the cute and articulate footnote (Olivia Cameron) can provide, but
there are many laughs. Right at the end the witches arrive, Alycia
Raebig as Miss Tick, Michelle Whichello as Nanny Ogg and, adaptor/
director Pamela Munt as Granny Weatherwax, familiar characters to
regular playgoers. There's a prediction. I feel a sequel coming on..."

http://bit.ly/1Wc3cWI

By Sarah-Jean for TREv:

"Eccentric, charming and endearing, The Wee Free Men follows the journey
of young Tiffany in a journey of magic and self-discovery, as she
battles swamp monsters, dream worlds and dromes in a mission to rescue
her sticky and rather unlikeable little brother. Along the way she
learns more about what it means to be yourself, and how quickly dreams
and nightmares can collide. With a story as delightful as this, it's
hard to go wrong. With a charming cast, the performance tends to favour
comedy over depth. Josie Giorgio was a particular stand-out, bringing
light to the role of Tiffany, and adding layers to the young
witch-to-be. The Wee Free Men, and in particular Natalie Haigh's
performance of
No'-as-Big-as-Medium-Sized-Jock-but-Bigger-than-Wee-Jock-Jock, brought
dynamism and charisma to the more 'dull' moments – leaving the audience
laughing and engaged, while the tongue in cheek humour of Toad played by
Hugh O'Connor brought a beautiful energy to the stage..."

http://trev.org.au/index.php?PID=2006

By Stephen Davenport for Barefoot Review:

"Cordial, stimulating, and above all funny, The Wee Free Men is a rare
stage adaptation that more than lives up to the standard set by its
creator, author, the late, Sir Terry Pratchett. A radiant roller-coaster
jaunt of colour, exposition and fantastical incidents, Pamela Munt's
stage version of Pratchett's first Discworld novel to feature Tiffany
Aching (Josephine Girogio), is almost as entertaining as the book. And
though a lot of that comes down to the show's intrepid direction, it's
also due to the main attractions. In this adaptation that's not the
clever and satirical dialogue, but the eccentricity of the fine ensemble
and the delivery of the humorous lines... Munt devises and adapts the
group's productions, and it consistently works. She also has the knack
of finding performers who seamlessly transition between multiple
characters, in scenes that are by turns animated and affecting... The
show is an absolute riot of comedy and resourceful staging, as Tiffany
leads us through a series of set pieces in the weird locations where,
one by one, the naughty Pictsies dispose of the real and imagined
enemies with brute force, ignorance and comic invention..."

http://www.thebarefootreview.com.au/menu/theatre/119-2014-adelaide-reviews/1382-the-wee-free-men.html

By Brian Godfrey for the Adelaide Theatre Guide:

"With many thoughts, ideas and plot lines running throughout, many scene
changes into some very strange places and many, many varied and
interesting characters running amok in the late Sir Terry Pratchett's
novels; they have never lent themselves that easily to stage
adaptations. Stephen Briggs has managed a few and for some time now so
has Adelaide's Pamela Munt. Her versions are just getting better and
better. 'The Wee Free Men' is Munt's latest attempt and it's pretty
good. Although set in the Discworld and featuring some familiar
characters, this story does not particularly require previous knowledge
of Pratchett's work... As Toad, Hugh O'Connor gets the best and driest
lines in the show, and delivers them superbly. His competition in the
comedy stakes, however, are the 'Wee Free Men', in particular Harold
Roberts as Rob Anybody. These blue-faced, kilted, Scottish-speaking wee
ones are hilarious, bounding around on stage like the Keystone Kops on
steroids..."

http://bit.ly/1SFRqS6

5.14 REVIEW: LORDS AND LADIES IN GOSPORT

In the Southern Daily Echo, either by Hilary Porter or Ed Howson:

"It's abundantly clear how much this company loves Terry Pratchett (it's
Director Chris Blatch-Gainey's fourteenth TP play!), the 35-strong cast
revelling in the storytelling of this multi-layered play/fairytale with
its nods to Shakespeare's 'Midsummer Night's Dream' (Rustics performing
a play for the King's wedding), 'Macbeth' (three witches) and Tolkien's
'Lord of the Rings' (Elvish Archers). Set in Pratchett's Discworld, with
plots too diverse to explain, we were transported to a world of evil
elves, old-fashioned witches, paralytically shy royalty, academia, and
bees! Narrated by Abi Philo as Footnote, we saw King Verance (sheepish
David Powell) finally arrange to marry his love, apprentice witch Magrat
(versatile Laura Woodward) while the villainous Elf Queen (Ashleigh
Motley) was finally brought to heel by Emma Hughes's tenacious Granny
Weatherwax and Jane Blatch-Gainey's deliciously coarse Nanny Ogg. Lovely
cameos, too, from Bob Bell as the foghorn-voiced Archchancellor and Joe
Allan's Harry Potter-esque Stibbons."

http://bit.ly/1Voeet2

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

06) DISCWORLD GAMES NEWS

The City of Small Gods Terry Pratchett Fan Club in Adelaide, South
Australia is having a Tabletop Day!

"On April 30th 2016, join us from 10am-8pm at La Scala Cafe, 169 Unley
Road Unley in the function room. Bring games you'd like to play or
borrow from the large collection loaned by members of CoSG and other
attendees... We will have learn-to-play sessions for Thud, Ankh-Morpork,
The Witches and Clacks!"

Entry is free, but the Club will be collecting donations for the Women's
and Children's Hospital Kids FUNd.

http://cityofsmallgods.org.au/
http://tabletopday.com/

https://ausdwcon.org/fan-clubs/adelaide/international-tabletop-day-2016/

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

07) DISCWORLD MEETING GROUPS NEWS: UPDATES AND REMINDERS

The Broken Drummers, "London's Premier Unofficially Official Discworld
Group" (motto "Nil percussio est"), meets next on Monday 2nd Mayl 2016
at the Monkey Puzzle, 30 Southwick Street, London, W2 1JQ. For more
information, go to http://brokendrummers.org/ or email
BrokenDrummers at gmail.com or nicholls.helen at yahoo.co.uk

*

Canberra, Australia's Discworld fan group is Drumknott's Irregulars: "We
are a newly established Terry Pratchett & Discworld social group in
Canberra called Drumknott's Irregulars. The group is open to all, people
from interstate and overseas are welcome, and our events will not be
heavily themed. Come along to dinner for a chat and good company. We
welcome people all all fandoms (and none) and we would love to see you
at one of our events, even if you're just passing through. Please
contact us via Facebook
(_https://www.facebook.com/groups/824987924250161/_) or Google Groups
(_https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/drumknotts-irregulars_) or
join us at our next event."

*

There is a new public Facebook meeting group, "The Gathering of the
Loonies (Wincanton chapter)": "This group, by request of Jo in Bear will
continue to be used for future unofficial (not run by the Emporium) fan
Gatherings in Wincanton. Look here for information."

https://www.facebook.com/groups/373578522834654/

*

The Pratchett Partisans are a fan group who meet monthly at either
Brisbane or Indooroopilly to "eat, drink and chat about all things
Pratchett. We hold events such as Discworld dinners, games afternoons,
Discworld photo scavenger hunts. Our recent 'Murder In Morpork' mystery
party was a great night out. With 26 people attending, we had 24
suspects, our special guest – Vetinari, and one dead mime! It was a fun
night of food and murder and we are planning another Murder in December
so stay tuned. We also attend opening night at Brisbane Arts Theatre's
Discworld plays." The Partisans currently have about 200 members who
meet at least twice a month, usually in Brisbane.

For more info about their next meetup, join up at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/pratchettpartisans/ or contact Ula
directly at uwilmott at yahoo.com.au

*

The City of Small Gods is a group for fans in Adelaide and South Australia.

"We have an established Terry Pratchett & Discworld fan group in
Adelaide called The City of Small Gods, which is open to anyone who
would like to come - you don't have to live in Adelaide or even South
Australia, or even be a Discworld fan, but that's mostly where our
events will be held, and we do like discussing Pratchett's works. Our
(semi-) regular meetings are generally held on the last Thursday of the
month at a pub or restaurant in Adelaide. We have dinner at 6.30pm
followed by games until 9pm. The games are usually shorter games like
Pairs, Sushi Go, or Tiny Epic Defenders, with the occasional Werewolf
session, as these are the best sort of games that work in a pub setting.
Every few months, we have a full day's worth of board games at La Scala
Cafe, 169 Unley Rd, Unley in the function room starting at 10am. In
addition, we will occasionally have other events to go and see plays by
Unseen Theatre Company, book discussions on Terry's latest, craft, chain
maille or costuming workshops or other fun social activities."

For more info, go to www.cityofsmallgods.org.au

*

The Broken Vectis Drummers meet next on Thursday 5th May 2016 (probably)
from 7.30pm at The Castle pub in Newport, Isle of Wight. For more info
and any queries, contact broken_vectis_drummers at yahoo.co.uk

*

The Wincanton Omnian Temperance Society (WOTS) next meets on Friday 6th
May 2016 (probably) at Wincanton's famous Bear Inn from 7pm onwards.
"Visitors and drop-ins are always welcome!"

*

The Northern Institute of the Ankh-Morpork and District Society of
Flatalists, a Pratchett fangroup, has been meeting on a regular basis
since 2005 but is now looking to take in some new blood (presumably not
in the non-reformed Uberwald manner). The Flatalists normally meet at
The Narrowboat Pub in Victoria Street, Skipton, North Yorkshire, to
discuss "all things Pratchett" as well as having quizzes and raffles.
Details of future meetings are posted on the Events section of the
Discworld Stamps forum:

http://www.discworldstamps.co.uk/forum/

*

Sydney Drummers (formerly Drummers Downunder) meet next on Monday 2nd
May 2016 at 6.30pm (probably) in Sydney at 3 Wise Monkeys, 555 George
Street, Sydney,2000. For more information, contact Sue (aka Granny
Weatherwax): kenworthys at yahoo.co.uk

*

The Treacle Mining Corporation, formerly known as Perth Drummers, meets
next on Monday 2nd May 2016 (probably) from 5.30pm at Carpe Cafe, 526
Murray Street, Perth, Western Australia. For details follow Perth
Drummers on Twitter @Perth_Drummers or join their Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Perth.Drummers/ – or message Alexandra
Ware directly at <alexandra.ware at gmail.com>

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

08) DISCWORLD ARTS AND CRAFTS NEWS

8.1 DISCWORLD.COM UPDATES

"A huge thank you from us all here at Discworld.com for your support of
the Sir Terry Pratchett Memorial. If you were able to attend on the
night, maybe even one of our lucky competition winners, we hope you
enjoyed the evening and we look forward to seeing you at future events.
We've received hundreds of requests to make available various items from
the memorial goodie bags. Please check Discworld.com for the delightful
dried frog pills, memorial lilac pin, Terry silhouette tote bag and some
extra special postcards. And don't forget Slip of the Keyboard features
Neil Gaiman's moving tribute to Terry and both The Dark Morris and The
Making of a Man by Steeleye Span appear on the Wintersmith CD and DVD.
All of which were performed beautifully on the night."

A Slip of the Keyboard, "Exclusively embossed with Terry's signature and
sealed with his coat of arms", is priced at £10. For more information,
and to order, go to:

http://discworld.com/products/books/a-slip-of-the-keyboard-2

The WIntersmith Single CD edition is priced at £12, while the Deluxe 2
CD edition is priced at £15. Both are "Exclusively sealed with Terry
Pratchett's coat of arms". For more information, and to order, go to:

http://discworld.com/products/steeleye-span/

Also... "The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner" Collector's Edition Slipcase is now
available for pre-order:

"A special slipcase edition of The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner, complete with
a new foreword, critical commentaries, two bonus stories and a beautiful
limited-edition print. The limited hardback edition will be a run of
5000 copies, inside a deluxe slipcase with silver foil printing and over
a hundred black-and-white illustrations by Mark Beech. Each story shows
the seed of an idea, which Terry developed in his later writing. A
critical commentary will accompany each story, highlighting where
particular ideas and characters appear elsewhere in Terry's work. A
must-have for any Pratchett fan."

The special slipcase edition of The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner is priced at
£30.00. For more information, and to pre-order, go to:

http://bit.ly/1roJlrR

8.2 DISCWORLD EMPORIUM UPDATES

* New Discworld stamps!

"Introducing Four new Discworld Stamps from the Ankh-Morpork Post
Office, produced in affiliation with the Unseen University and
celebrating Rincewind's specialist subject, The Cruel and Unusual
Geography of Discworld! This set of sixpence issues comprises four
designs featuring Cori Celesti, the Fat Geysers of Uberwald, the
Wyrmberg and the mysterious sunken island of Leshp! These extraordinary
little issues are available to collect as a set of individual stamps,
presented together on on beautiful whole sheets, or in the latest
'Little Brown Envelope' - a 'lucky dip' assortment of Discworld stamps
with a chance of sports and rarities."

For more information, and to order, go to:

http://www.discworldemporium.com/discworld-stamps/new%20stamps

* Terry Pratchett's Discworld Colouring Book!

"Paul Kidby has designed the covers for the Discworld novels since 2002,
and is the author and artist of the The Art Of Discworld. If Terry
Pratchett's pen gave his characters life, Paul Kidby's brush allowed
them to live it. Containing black-and-white line drawings based on Sir
Terry Pratchett's Best Loved characters, his hugely popular artwork as
well as original pieces produced exclusively for this book - featuring
such iconic Discworld personalities as Granny Weatherwax, Sam Vimes,
Archchancellor Ridcully, Rincewind, Tiffany Aching and, of course, DEATH
- Terry Pratchett's Discworld Colouring Book is required ...reading?
...for all Discworld fans."

The Discworld Colouring Book will be published on 11th August 2016. It
is priced at £9.99, plus shipping, and comes with a free The Turtle
Moves bookmark. For more information, and to pre-order, go to:

http://www.discworldemporium.com/new-terry-pratchett-books/discworld-colouring-book

* The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner hardcover!

"An illustrated collection of short stories by master storyteller Sir
Terry Pratchett, featuring food fights, pirates, wizards and crooks!
Poor Mr Swimble is having a bad day. Rabbits are bouncing out of his
hat, pigeons are flying out of his jacket and every time he points his
finger, something magically appears – cheese sandwiches, socks . . .
even a small yellow elephant on wheels! It's becoming a real nuisance –
and he's allergic to rabbits. His friends at the Magic Rectangle can't
help, but the mysterious vacuum cleaner he saw that morning may have
something to do with it . . . Fourteen fantastically funny stories from
master storyteller Sir Terry Pratchett, full of food fights, pirates,
wizards and crooks!"

The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner will be published on 25th August 2016. It is
priced at £12.99, plus shipping, and comes with a free The Turtle Moves
bookmark. For more information, and to pre-order, go to:

http://www.discworldemporium.com/new-terry-pratchett-books/terry-pratchett-witchs-vaccuum-cleaner

* The Long Cosmos hardcover

"The fifth book in Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter's science fiction
collaboration, The Long Earth series. 2070-71. Nearly six decades after
Step Day and in the Long Earth, the new Next post-human society
continues to evolve. For Joshua Valiente, now in his late sixties, it is
time to take one last solo journey into the High Mergers: an adventure
that turns into a disaster. Alone and facing death, his only hope of
salvation lies with a group of trolls. But as Joshua confronts his
mortality, the Long Earth receives a signal from the stars. A signal
that is picked up by radio astronomers but also in more abstract ways –
by the trolls and by the Great Traverse rs. Its message is simple but
its implications are enormous: JOIN US."

The Long Cosmos will be published on 14th June 2016. It is priced at
£18.99, plus shipping, and comes with a free The Turtle Moves bookmark.
For more information, and to pre-order, go to:

http://www.discworldemporium.com/new-terry-pratchett-books/terry-pratchett-the-long-cosmos

* Seriously Funny: the Endlessly Quotable Terry Pratchett

"The most quotable writer of our time, Terry Pratchett's unique brand of
wit made him both a bestseller and an encyclopedic source of modern
wisdom. This endearing little book is a collection of his funniest and
most memorable words about life, the universe and snoring - for whenever
you need a drop of Pratchett wisdom! 128 pages."

This is a collection of quotes, but no information seems to be
forthcoming about who collected or edited it. If you are willing to play
lucky dip with your hard-earned, Seriously Funny is priced at £9.99,
plus shipping, and comes with a free The Turtle Moves bookmark. For more
information, and to pre-order, go to:

http://www.discworldemporium.com/new-terry-pratchett-books/terry-pratchett-seriously-funny

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

09) AROUND THE BLOGOSPHERE

Blog reviews of the Terry Pratchett Memorial Event...

By Hermie One:

"With little detail about proceedings released beforehand it was an
evening of surprises, the first of which was the discovery of a generous
goody bag on every seat. Containing a wonderful first and very special
edition book, a beautiful commemorative lilac pin, dried frog pill
mints, a quintet of postcards, a packet of tissues and a small bottle of
Ankh Morpork water, it was a thoughtful and unexpected moment...
starting with a wonderful choral rendition of Thomas Tallis' Spem in
Alium and ending with an audience singalong to Always Look on the Bright
Side of Life. In between, Steeleye Span performed two songs from their
hauntingly beautiful adaptation of Wintersmith as well as the classic
Thomas the Rhymer. The wonderful Rob Wilkins was the perfect host whilst
Rhianna Pratchett shared her memories of  a father who truly showed her
magic. Watching her place his sword, Thunderbolt Iron, alongside his
trademark black hat (later bequeathed to his friend and co-author Neil
Gaiman) was a poignant moment. The general mood, however matched that of
his books – a joyful celebration of the absurdity of human life and
death... I particularly enjoyed the musings of Dr Patrick Harkin and
Bernard Pearson who fondly recalled Terry's seemingly insatiable demand
for random facts, including how much ear wax a person produces in a
lifetime. Neil Gaiman spoke of his friend who was jolly (and possibly
other words ending in Olly) yet, like my favourite Discworld creation
Sam Vimes, was also fuelled by anger and a keen sense of fairness. Three
hours after taking our seats, the evening drew to a close and for once
we really were glad to have let Lord Vetinari detain us!"

https://wwtdblog.wordpress.com/2016/04/18/terry-pratchett-memorial-review/

By Aran Ward Sell:

"When I got to my seat I was delighted to find a black tote bag waiting
for me, emblazoned with a silhouette of Sir Terry's face and iconic
'Author Hat'. This contained a number of mementoes, many referencing
minor in-jokes from the Discworld novels, including a beautiful Lilac
pin to be worn on the glorious 25th of May. It was classy in exactly the
right, jovial, slightly sniggery way. Just before the event began,
someone scurried along and took the empty seat to my left; a dedicated
Pratchett fan had travelled up from Cardiff in the vague hope of getting
a ticket on the door, and had been given my spare by the Barbican staff.
She was exhilarated and I felt delighted to have accidentally improved
someone's night...

"It was beautiful in parts, and even though I don't particularly like
the music of Steeleye Span I cried when Steeleye Span came onstage and
played 'The Dark Morris' because they were the right people, playing the
right song. Terry's daughter Rhianna gave a touching and obviously
difficult elegy. Neil Gaiman appeared onstage to gasps and cheers, and
read out his own, accurate summation of how the rage which powered
Terry's writing made it into so much more than merely comic writing.
When Gaiman had finished, Wilkins presented him with the real Author
Hat, a genuinely touching moment. Tony Robinson read out a piece of
Tarry's own, and several former editors and associates spoke, and Lord
Vetinari spoke on behalf of Terry's characters even though he's made up
and not real... on some levels it didn't really matter what was said in
the memorial, anyway. It was the right place to be. People gather at
memorials and scatter flowers for a reason. They mob David Bowie's mural
in Brixton on the night of his death for a reason. Sir Terry made Death
into a sympathetic, compassionate (but very, very good at his job)
character for a reason. There is sentiment behind these reasons but
sentiment is not a dirty word, and a coming-together over death of the
beloved (beloved soul, beloved books, beloved words) is right, and I'm
glad I was there..."

https://reasonstoremain.co.uk/2016/04/17/jon-mcgregor-and-terry-pratchett/

By Manaburnt:

"Yesterday evening we had the infinite pleasure to assist the Terry
Pratchett memorial at the Barbican Theatre (London). A very selective
event, kept very hush-hush, but magical nonetheless. We cried as much as
we laughed through the nearly 3 hours the celebration went on for... Rob
Wilkins was more than a host or presenter; he acted like a dear friend
to the audience, sharing experiences, comments and anecdotes from his
time with Terry. Many of the author's friends came to the stage:
publishers, editors, colleagues, it was a wholesome symphony of praise,
respect and love for one of Britain's most popular and beloved writers.
Everyone had kind words for him not only as a professional, but as a
person. Rhianna Pratchett came to the stage to share her memories of him
as a father, privilege she has only amongst anyone.

"I could not help but feel that, despite I never met him – for by the
time I came to the UK his illness was advanced, and I did not have the
chance to go to a book signing or a convention – I somehow knew him, as
a mentor, as a role model. As an inspiring figure, with all his
complexities. I guess all these emotions became much more real when Neil
Gaiman entered the scene and proceeded to read a piece I already knew –
his introduction to A Slip of the Keyboard. I knew the piece, almost by
heart. But I had only read it, I hadn't been told it. Suddenly these
words, that I thought I comprehended, took new real meanings. An
overwhelming emotional wave took me by surprise – I don't think I have
recovered quite yet; I could hardly go to sleep last night after that..."

https://manaburnt.wordpress.com/2016/04/15/terry-practchett-a-memorial/

By the Bookwitch:

"There was a choir. There was a display of all of Terry's books
travelling through a time glass. Lord Vetinari kicked off – after the
death threats – by thanking Terry from all his characters for putting
them in his books before they ended up in someone else's books. After a
long-wished-for opportunity to utter the words 'do not let me detain
you' to Vetinari,  Rob was there to speak for the family, introducing
others, including Terry's daughter Rhianna. There were people from
Terry's past (whom I might have known if I knew more). There was a coven
of Terry's three editors; Philippa Dickinson, Anne Hoppe and Jennifer
Brehl. Only once did Philippa fear she'd gone too far in suggesting a
change in one of the books, but whereas Terry wouldn't go so far as to
say she had been right, he could see some merit in what she said...

"And then there was Steeleye Span. You could hear the collective held
breath of the audience as we deduced we were about to be treated to some
top notch music from Terry's favourite band. You can't send just anyone
in after such a music display, and they didn't. We got Neil Gaiman, who
had flown in specially for his old friend, reading his foreword to A
Slip of the Keyboard, including the tale of their long trek through San
Francisco when they really should have been on live radio. He was also
able to spill the beans on a Manchester bookshop that did get a minus
star in Terry's ratings. (It's when the staff lock themselves in and
won't come out until the customers have gone away.) ... Rob was aware
that the clock was ticking, but he still talked us through what the
future has in store. There will be no more Discworld books, but there
will be books on all sorts of things, including a biography by Rob.
Films are also in the pipeline, for The Wee Free Men, Mort, and Good
Omens (with screenplay by Neil Gaiman, despite his agreement with Terry
that they'd always work together). And lots more."

https://bookwitch.wordpress.com/2016/04/15/teary-about-terry/

Next, a couple of reviews/deconstructions from blogging collective
Hubward Ho...

Mort:
"Returning to this book for a reread, I can happily say that Mort still
works in the ways it first worked for me. Pratchett does quite so much
right, and some of his scenes here rank among Discworld's most iconic.
Take the scene in which Mort, all alone, meets Death for the first time.
In the empty town square, in the cold and the dark, on Hogswatch night,
this awkward boy takes his first tantalizing steps into a world much
bigger than he, and in some ways it feels like our first proper
introduction to the Discworld. Death looms, Death falls down—Pratchett
tells us everything we need to know about everybody's favorite
anthropomorphic personification to be going on with. Likewise, take the
scene in which Mort, all alone, meets death for the first time. The
scene is poignant and bittersweet, and again we get a deft introduction
to the world of the Disc. These moments sing.

"And there are the characters themselves. Mort is a sympathetically
beleaguered character. Ysabell's abrasive personality belies a lonely
interior. And there's Death, immediately majestic, mysteriously, and
ironically mundane. He's the real success of this book, but Mort and
Ysabell (and to a lesser extent Keli and Cutwell and Albert) are
competently drawn. Like many of Pratchett's early characters, there's
not much complexity to these people and I'm not sure they quite come
alive for me, but they do provide a sturdily built structure on which to
hang a narrative. Narrative, however, is where things go a little off
the rails. Despite great scenes and reasonably interesting characters,
the resolution of the plot is a mess. This is early days for Pratchett,
and you can tell that he's still working out how to structure his books..."

  http://hubwardho.com/2016/04/01/you-could-have-had-eternity-mort

Reaper Man:
"The Dark Morris is one of my favorite Pratchett inventions. The idea
feels narratively and culturally resonant. If there's a Morris to enact
the rebirth of the sun, surely there's a Morris to enact its death? How
logically Pratchett. (It is without shame that I admit to whooping aloud
when I realized that Wintersmith, one of Pratchett's best books, begins
and ends with and just generally has a lot to do with the Dark Morris.)
When Pratchett writes about the dance, he sets it up immediately as a
counterpoint to what he describes as the typical human relationship to
nature — running over a sheep with your Volvo. On one hand, you have a
mass-produced machine that disconnects those who make from those who
consume. On the other hand, you have a dance that begins in folk wisdom
and ends with feet moving over soil, in the dark, as the cold sets in,
reifying tradition. This dichotomy informs Reaper Man, which can be read
as a blunt indictment of mass thinking, consumerism, and rampant
capitalist consumption.

"However, the book takes place in Ankh-Morpork — a pit of feints and
fobs and woolly commercial schemes, a colonizer of the world through
production and communication, and yet the city from which all
civilizations in all the universes are made. How does a writer who
created Ankh-Morpork, who celebrates street quackery, the printing
press, and the steam engine, nonetheless condemn the shopping mall and
the combine harvester? This question has been playing in my mind for a
while, and Reaper Man offers some ideas. Reaper Man reminded me that
Pratchett's writing is often an exercise in reconciling possible
contradiction. Consider: Discworld's ideology is politically and
socially progressive, liberatory toward knowledge, and interested in
commonality, but the world in which that ideology unfolds is distinctly
Victorian... The answer, I think, is that pretty much anything goes in
Pratchett's world as long as it goes with empathy. Characters like the
Auditors (and Trymon and Astfgl) have the knowledge to make order but
not the compassion. Even the highwayman is better than the soulless
thing that brings the artless shopping cart into being — note how the
criminals of Pratchett's world are often hard-working people who care
deeply about their craft and serving their victims customers well.
Personal is necessary..."

https://hubwardho.com/2016/04/27/effort-and-load-rereading-reaper-man/

A review of The Folklore of Discworld by bilingual Finnish blogger
Thoughts on X:

"I just read this book a second time, and it was really fast going and
entertaining — I can't remember when I last read a nonfiction book that
went so smoothly. Speaking of nonfiction, the book is still written as
if the Discworld is real and the similarities to our world are
coincidences or the result of ideas floating around the multiverse. I
found this slightly tiresome, especially as it ended up repeating the
same 'jokes'. Also, for a nonfiction book, this book didn't always say
everything quite explicitly — whether because of the above or for
something else like irony. This mostly works quite smoothly, but
sometimes, it left me wondering about small details. There was a slight
potential for confusion as to whether things said were true in our
world, our folklore, the Discworld, or their folklore, or whether they
were being said as part of the joke that pretends the relationship
between these is different than it really is. But like I said, it was
well written and this was hardly ever really a problem. It's just not
what I'm used to from nonfiction. I wonder if Pratchett could even have
got away with writing in a more matter-of-fact tone..."
http://bit.ly/1NHQGwD

A review of A Slip of the Keyboard by blogger Owen Kelly:

"This book is the first of his that I have read that is not fiction but
is the author's own thoughts not framed by the customary characters of
Ankh Morpork or the Unseen University, even though I still catch
glimpses of their presence hidden in the shadows. There are four
sections to the book covering various elements categorised as
collections usually are and there is a certain amount of repetition
which I haven't fully decided whether it's a good or bad thing but just
accepted it as part of the experience.

"I haven't been to a Science Fiction conference and doubt I will and I
haven't got the patience to queue up for a book signing but I did find
the speeches and writings on these subjects interesting along with the
process of writing and having to deal with fan letters and the like. I
had always thought that his first Discworld book 'A Colour of Magic' was
not his best and I think he felt the same, in my opinion the series got
better and better and that was one of the things I liked. When I look at
my favourite music groups and artists I often note that the best of them
grow and develop and witnessing that process draws me even closer, I
don't think music artists get much of a chance at this nowadays. In film
I always dread the sequel or follow up as it so often fails to improve.
I was also surprised that the book 'Nation' was so high on his list; it
is on mine, even though I always felt a bit guilty as it wasn't part of
the Discworld series of which I am such a fan. I found these and many
other small comments on his own writings really illuminating and
enjoyable, like having a discussion with a friend. I was drawn into
reading more, many of the chapters are quite short and I would say to
myself just one more and I'll leave it there for the night and an hour
later I would say the same thing again..."

https://sightssoundsandsensibility.wordpress.com/2016/03/29/a-book-review-by-dad/

...and finally, some delighted words about Thud! from second-generation
Pratchett newbie Mummiebirch:

"My mum was a huge fan of Terry Pratchett and she used to always go on
and on about how I should give his books a chance. When I was younger
just reading the blurb was too much for me, too many long words and
confusing names like Ankh-Morpork and Pseudopolis Yard, but after
studying Shakespeare for a year and as I'm now, as much as I hate to
admit it, an adult I've gotten used to long words and decided I'd give
it another go. I've recently finished reading Thud! by Terry Pratchett
and I wasn't able to put it down! From Commander Vimes to Sally the
vampire, the characters completely won me over. I'm very picky about
books and usually put them down before the end of the first chapter if
they haven't caught my attention. It was a slow start as I hadn't chosen
the best first book to join the Discworld with, it kind of expected you
to know some of the characters, but I kept with it and don't regret it
at all... My favourite aspect of the book has to be how relatable, yet
unrealistic it is. We don't have trolls, werewolves and vampires but I
do, like Commander Vimes, have a set time for bedtime stories that I
would NEVER miss. .."

https://thelifeofrhirhi.wordpress.com/2016/04/12/thud/

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

10) ROUNDWORLD TALES:  THE REAL (ROUND) W0RLD OF POO

"Poo is all around us and inside us, but we ignore it," says Daniel
Roberts, co-curator of a very unusual new museum in the Isle of Wight
that would delight Young Sam:

"A museum dedicated to excrement, with examples from the animal and
human world, has opened to the public. The exhibition at the Isle of
Wight Zoo features faeces from animals such as elks and lions as well as
a human baby. The National Poo Museum has been created by members of the
artist collective Eccleston George... Twenty illuminated resin spheres
show off the different types of faeces with facts hidden behind toilet
lids on the museum walls. Samples of faeces have been gathered from
around the world as well as donations received from the Isle of Wight
Zoo and Dinosaur Isle museum. The display also includes fossilised poo
(coprolites) dating back 140 million years as well as a tawny owl pellet
containing bones and teeth..."

The, er, specimens are dried in a specially-built desiccating machine
before being displayed. Don't forget your bucket...

More information – and photographs! – can be found at:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-hampshire-35957829

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

11) IMAGES OF THE MONTH

Paul Kidby and Stephen Briggs, flanking Rob Wilkins, show their
Venerable Order of the Honeybee medals:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cga9hHQWIAAjjaN.jpg

Neil Gaiman, wearing The Hat:
https://twitter.com/neilhimself/status/720758855999819777/photo/1

Adorable rendering of Mort, Ysabell, Keli and Death by Disney artist
Claire Keane:
http://bit.ly/1VEbZBZ

Steeleye Span performing at the Pratchett Memorial:
http://www.thebookseller.com/sites/default/files/IMG_3286_0.JPG

Some cast photos from The Shakespeare Codex:
http://www.studiotheatreclub.com/gallery-2

...an amazing photo by Michael Errey of Harold Roberts as Rob Anybody:
http://bit.ly/1qH421L

...here we have Tiffany and the witches:
http://bit.ly/1XNBbng

...and the full cast takes a bow after their sold-out run:
http://bit.ly/1MMhJqA

 From the Discworld Collectors' Guild
(_https://twitter.com/DWCGArchive_), here be Pterry and Rob in Lego
(although it looks more than a bit like Rob is impersonating Neil Gaiman!):
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CejNcK6W8AA0ae6.jpg

The Studio Theatre Club shows how to "do" elves right, from the run-up
to their premiere of the Stephen Briggs play "The Shakespeare Code":
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CfW7fX3W4AE9G9S.jpg

Discworld cosplayers at 2016 Adelaide Comic Con! A perfect Tiffany
(including a cleverly constructed "hat full of sky"), An appropriately
floral Magrat, and an adorable "kitten version" of Greebo:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cfqo3agVIAEjjzF.jpg

...and surely the best Rincewind action figure ever:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cfqozk3UkAAjXmA.jpg

...and finally, Rob Wilkins' birthday tweet to his late employer, on
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/terryandrob/status/725718349112561664

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

12) CLOSE

Whew! Almost at the finish line... but a few bits first!

Jim Vision, the marvellous public artist who painted the Pratchett
memorial in Brick Lane and also Pratchetted half a boat (see item 4.5 in
the November 2015 main issue), has now completed "The Great A'Tuin"
barge! Here be the photo he posted:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BEwGHGZv95M/

...and an action relay of the starboard side:
http://www.endoftheline.co/the-terry-pratchett-boat-starboard-side/

As Sir Pterry showed us why spelling is important (remember the Seriph
of Al Ybi?), so The Bookseller website shows why grammar is also
important: "While Transworld has not released any more details on the
projects, Wilkins revealed he would be writing the biography on stage at
the end of the memorial..." Hmm. Either it's going to be a very, very
short biography or Rob Wilkins has 1) super-speed powers or 2) a very
sore hand. Need some liniment for that, Rob?

Here be a quite decent quiz on the works of Pratchett, in The Guardian:
http://bit.ly/1TyA3CV

Welsh illustrator John Avon's lovely cover for Johnny and the Dead is
only a fraction of his vast catalogue. Have a shufti:
http://johnavonart.com/gallery/book-covers.html

And that's the lot for April. Take care, and we'll see you next month!

– Annie Mac

The mirror version of this issue can be viewed at
http://wossname.dreamwidth.org/35651.html

The End. If you have any questions or requests, write: wossname-owner
(at) pearwood (dot) info