Wossname -- July 2016 -- main issue

News and reviews about the works of Sir Terry Pratchett wossname at pearwood.info
Sun Jul 31 20:48:09 AEST 2016

Wossname
July 2016 (Volume 19, Issue 7, Post 1)

WOSSNAME is a free publication offering news, reviews, and all the other
stuff-that-fits pertaining to the works of Sir Terry Pratchett.
Originally founded by the late, great Joe Schaumburger for members of
the worldwide Klatchian Foreign Legion and its affiliates, including the
North American Discworld Society and other continental groups, Wossname
is now for Discworld and Pratchett fans everywhere in Roundworld.

Editor in Chief: Annie Mac
News Editor: Vera P
Newshounds: Mogg, Sir J of Croydon Below, the Shadow, Mss C, Alison not
Aliss
Staff Writers: Asti, Pitt the Elder, Evil Steven Dread, Mrs Wynn-Jones
Staff Technomancers: Jason Parlevliet, Archchancellor Neil, DJ Helpful
Book Reviews: Annie Mac, Drusilla D'Afanguin, Your Name Here
Puzzle Editor: Tiff (still out there somewhere)
Emergency Staff: Steven D'Aprano, Jason Parlevliet
World Membership Director: Steven D'Aprano (in his copious spare time)

01) QUOTES OF THE MONTH
02) EDITOR'S LETTER
03) MOVING PICTURES: WEE FREE MEN FILM CONFIRMED!
04) DISCWORLD CONVENTION NEWS
05) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS
06) DISCWORLD MEETING GROUPS NEWS
07) DISCWORLD ARTS AND CRAFTS NEWS
08) A FEW ODDS AND SODS
09) IMAGES OF THE MONTH
10) CLOSE

01) QUOTES OF THE MONTH

"The Discworld series is a richly developed world with devoted fans,
myself included, and there is no one better than Rhianna to bring
Terry’s beloved project to life on the big screen." – Brian Henson,
Chairman of The Jim Henson Company

"You can keep your George Martin; Terry Pratchett was writing fantasy
with feminist characters years before A Game of Thrones was published."

– blogger Nat Wassell, on Cultured Vultures

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

02) LETTER FROM YOUR EDITOR

The big news this month is, of course, the announcement from Narrativia
that they have partnered with the Jim Henson Company to make a
big-screen version of The Wee Free Men. Given that Pratchett the Younger
will be writing the script, this is exciting – for who among the living
knows the essence of Tiffany Aching and the Chalk better than Rhianna
Pratchett, who watched her father create that world? But Narrativia and
Henson have a daunting task ahead of them nonetheless, for reasons well
described in item 8.2 ("Why Discworld novels resist adaptation"). Here's
hoping that a great book, a great screenwriter and great creature-makers
can deliver a film worthy of its potential!

Speaking of worth and potential, there is a new Pratchett publication
that I won't be reviewing, or promoting (though of course I'll report on
others' reviews). I feel so strongly about it that I won't even mention
its name here. But if you're curious and have the stomach for passionate
rants, have a shufti at the Wossname blogpost at
http://wossname.dreamwidth.org/38875.html

Right, on with the show!

– Annie Mac, Editor

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

03) MOVING PICTURES: THE WEE FREE MEN FILM IS HAPPENING!

With Muppets, perhaps...?

"The Jim Henson Company announced today the development of a feature
film based on the great literary legacy of the late Sir Terry
Pratchett's 'THE WEE FREE MEN,' part of the wildly popular Discworld
series. The long-awaited film adaption[sic] will be written by his
daughter Rhianna Pratchett, an award-winning scriptwriter for
videogames, comics, film and TV. Her work includes the 2013 smash hit
reboot of Tomb Raider, the BAFTA nominated Heavenly Sword and the
Writers' Guild winning Overload and Rise of the Tomb Raider. Pratchett,
co-director of independent production company Narrativia, has regularly
been named one of the top 100 most influential women in the games
industry and won the Women in Games Hall of Fame award in 2013... Brian
Henson of The Jim Henson Company will serve as producer. Rhianna
Pratchett, Rob Wilkins and Rod Brown of Narrativia and Vince Raisa of
The Jim Henson Company, will serve as executive producers. WEE FREE MEN
is a co-production with Narrativia..."

To read the full announcement, go to
http://narrativia.com/wee-free-men-announcement.html

...and how it was reported. In The Guardian, by Henry Barnes:

"It’s the second time the story has been earmarked for the big screen.
In 2006, Sony Pictures acquired the rights for the book and hired Sam
Raimi to direct it. Pratchett, who died last year from Alzheimer’s,
hated the script, telling SFX magazine that it “had all the hallmarks of
something that had been good, and then the studio had got involved”. He
retrieved the rights in 2009..."

http://bit.ly/2aB7XJN

In The Bookseller, by Charlotte Eyre:

"The Jim Henson Company will co-produce the film with Narrativia, the
independent production company founded by Terry Pratchett in 2012.
Rhianna is a co-director of Narrativia, along with her father’s business
manager Rob Wilkins. The m.d. is producer Rod Brown... Brian Henson of
The Jim Henson Company will serve as producer of the film. Rhianna
Pratchett, Rob Wilkins and Rod Brown of Narrativia and Vince Raisa of
The Jim Henson Company, will serve as executive producers..."

http://bit.ly/2apFEdO

On BBC News Scotland, by Steven McKenzie:

"The book tells of a young witch's adventures with the Nac Mac Feegles,
a fierce clan of kilted sheep-stealing, sword-wielding, six-inch-high
blue men. The characters are known as "pictsies", a name based on the
Picts, tribes that were dominant in Dark Age Scotland. Sir Terry's
daughter Rhianna Pratchett is adapting the novel for the feature film..."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-36846239

On Wired, by Matt Kamen:

"The book had previously been optioned by Sony Pictures, with Spider-Man
and The Evil Dead director Sam Raimi attached. However, Terry Pratchett
called the proposed script for that version 'awful'... Things look more
promising for Narrativia and Henson's take on the material, with the
plot description in the announcement directly echoing the book's... Fans
of Pratchett's darkly satirical work may be waiting a while to see tiny
blue men running around their cineplex though – at present, no release
date, casting, or creative appointments for Wee Free Men have been
announced."

http://bit.ly/2aTfWit

On i09's Gizmodo, by Katharine Trendacosta:

"This could be a great pairing of property and studio. The Wee Free Men
tells the story of nine-year-old Aching searching for her missing
brother after a spate of Fairyland monsters have appeared. Aching, her
frying pan, and a group of small, angry blue men called the Nac Mac
Feegles go looking to save her brother from the Queen of the Fairies.
Yeah, that sounds like something the Jim Henson Company could do a great
job with. .."

http://bit.ly/29Lp0VE

On Blastr, by Trent Moore:

"This might not be the most obvious work for a film adaptation, but it
certainly has the bones and potential for a great story. Throw in the
extensive expertise of the Jim Henson Company (The Dark Crystal,
Labyrinth), and it should have a unique look to match Pratchett’s
vision. No word on when production might ramp up, or when we’ll hear
anything on casting. But the project appears to be on the right track..."

http://bit.ly/2aDWSqZ

And a good analysis on The Daily Dot, by Gavia Baker-Whitelaw:

"Several Discworld books have been adapted in the past, from animated
series in the '90s to the more recent live-action movies on British TV.
However, none have really reached the success of the novels, which have
been consistent bestsellers for decades. The Wee Free Men is an
interesting place to start, if Rhianna Pratchett and the Jim Henson
Company intend to turn the Tiffany Aching series into a franchise. The
Discworld series offers a wide range of genres and characters, and the
Ankh Morpork City Watch books (a series of law enforcement adventure
stories) are probably the most obvious choice for a Hollywood
adaptation. Unfortunately, the humor and absurdity of the Discworld
series just doesn't fit with the expectation that adult fantasy stories
should be dark and gritty, like Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, and
Warcraft. Despite the popularity of Pratchett's books, the idea of a
funny historical fantasy satire may be too much for Hollywood to handle.
In that context, Tiffany Aching is ideal. The books are recent, and
therefore fresh in the minds of many fans—and it's easier to combine
comedy and fantasy when the film is aimed at a family audience..."

http://bit.ly/2ad0z2X

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

04) DISCWORLD CONVENTION NEWS

4.1 SCHEIBENWELT 2017 NEWS (GERMAN DISCWORLD CONVENTION)

Tickets for the 2017 German Discworld Convention are now available!

"The German Discworld Convention takes place in a castle in the
German-speaking countries in the 2-year rhythm. During this time, we
offer our more than 200 guests workshops, talks, games, guests of honour
and booths selling Discworld merchandising that is usually not available
in Germany. You can stop by as a day visitor or stay right at the castle
or in a nearby hotel. The program spans several days.

"The German Discworld Convention will take place from the 18th to the
21st of May 2017 at Castle Ludwigstein. The theme we have chosen this
time is the Witches and the Chalk. A motto is still being sought... we
launched a new website where you can plan your convention visit more
easily. On our YouTube channel
(_https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC__TcB9nl4ttINnZXtVmmnA_) you can
find some videos of our previews [sic – presumably 'previous' – Ed.]
conventions."

Here's what you'll get for your tickets:

"The basic package for a Convention visit includes a stay from Thursday
to Sunday. Thursday is the day of arrival, on Friday and Saturday the
program takes place and on Sunday is the day of departure. Convention
tickets include the right to participate in workshops, lectures and
other activities. However for particularly costly workshops additional
charges may apply. These are specified on the booking page. Our prices
are made up of the price of accommodation and meals by the castle (circa
40 € per day for castle guests) and a small fee for carrying out the
program. Members of the Ankh-Morpork e.V. and young visits receive a
discount. Children under 3 years can be brought along for free, provided
they not require their own bed."

Tickets for the full convention (Thursday through Sunday) are €149, with
a member's discount of €10; for Friday through Sunday, tickets are €110
with a member's discount of €5.

For guests camping at the castle ("for camping guests include entry to
the Convention including a place to put your own tent next to the
castle, warm dinner and breakfast buffet"), tickets for Thursday through
Sunday are €99 with a member's discount of €5, and for Friday through
Sunday €79 with a member's discount of €4.

Day tickets are also available: €20 for the Friday or Saturday (€2
discount each for members) or €35 for Friday and Saturday together (€5
discount for members).

To order tickets, go to
http://www.discworld-convention.de/#/en/Tickets/Order

http://www.discworld-convention.de/#/en/

4.2 CABBAGECON 4 NEWS (DUTCH DISCWORLD CONVENTION)

"On 1 and 2 July 2017 the fourth Dutch Discworld Convention Cabbagecon 4
will happen at the hotel Carlton President in Utrecht. It will be an
occasion for fans of Sir Terry Pratchett from the Netherlands and abroad
to meet up again and have some fun. We hope to see you too!"

Tickets for the whole weekend are priced at €60, available from
http://www.dutchdwcon.nl/node/21

Tickets are €35 for Saturday (_http://www.dutchdwcon.nl/node/20_) and
€35 for Sunday (_http://www.dutchdwcon.nl/node/19_).

Price for concessions, students and children born after 2 July 1999: €40
for the full weekend, or €25 for Saturday or Sunday. "Children born
after 2 July 2012 free only when accompanied by a paying adult. Prices
are including free coffee and tea for the weekend."

http://www.dutchdwcon.nl/

4.3 NULLUS ANXIETAS VI NEWS (AUSTRALIAN DISCWORLD CONVENTION)

"At this time next year, we'll be setting sail on The Discworld Grand
Tour! Tickets for Nullus Anxietas VI – The Australian Discworld
Convention are available in the shop
(_https://ausdwcon.org/shop/tickets/_) so make sure to book your spot!
Over the next twelve months, we'll be sending out regular updates about
what you lovely tourists can expect – starting right now! On your tour,
there will be a wide range of lovely events and activities for you to
enjoy! Of the many available, we would like to give you a taste of just
a few to appetite...

"Witness (and participate in) the vast array of talent in Vaudeville Le
Maskerade.  One event, under the one roof, all in the one afternoon. So
dust off your finery, limber up those vocal chords and join us in this
amazing experience. Eat, drink, explore your senses, and be merry at the
Gala Dinner "Around the Disc in 7a Courses" – a whirlwind, steampunk
culinary trip around the Disc. Re-stage the Battle of Koom Valley,
machinate your way to rule Ankh-Morpork, or send a message to Genua
faster than the Ankh-Morpork Post Office! That's right, all the
Discworld board games – and many more – will be available to play in Mr
Shine's Thud Parlour.

"What is a tourist without a Passport? Get your passport stamped at the
convention by participating in activities, taking iconographs, playing
games and many other mystery tasks! Collect the full set and win a
prize! Join us for one final chapter in the convention story on Monday,
7 August 2017 by spending a day exploring the delectable delights and
tantalising tastes of the Adelaide Hills on the Wine and Gourmet Tours.
More details on all the above, plus some of the other events and
activities available can be found on this page:

https://ausdwcon.org/convention/events/

"Tickets for the Gala Dinner and Wine and Gourmet Tours will be
available in early 2017. We will keep you informed over the coming
months about all activities.

"Help us to help you! Volunteers needed! We are working hard behind the
scenes to put on a fantabulous convention for all of you next year.
We've been kicking around lots of ideas for possible activities and
events so that we can bring you a programme chock-full of things to do.
But at the moment these are just ideas – in order to turn them into
reality we need people to run them! So, if you've been wondering how you
can get involved with the convention, now's your chance. Volunteer to
run an activity or event! There are lots of things you could do. You
could run a workshop teaching a skill or craft, or something fun for
kids of all ages; deliver a presentation, demonstration or information
session; be part of a group panel discussing a topic; perform something
for everybody's entertainment (a bit longer than a Maskerade act); ...
or maybe you have an idea for something totally different that we
haven't thought of yet! Head to the volunteers page
(_https://ausdwcon.org/volunteer/_) and fill in the form saying that you
are interested in running an event and give a brief explanation of the
activity that you think you could run. The Events and Activities
coordinator will then get in touch with you to get more details about
your idea and possible requirements. You won't have to do it all by
yourself – if you need help in the organisation or running, we'll be
able to find you volunteers, and of course, if it's something that needs
participation, you're bound to get lots of support. If you have any
further questions, please contact events at ausdwcon.org

"But wait, there's more! Can you draw, paint, or make fancy art? We
would love to have a few more artists on board who are willing to create
some lovely Discworld fan art for games, passports, the programme book
and more! Want to help out in a more general capacity during the
convention? Do things like taking official photos/video, helping with
lights and sound, teaching board games, or just running around being
useful? For any of the above please also complete the form on the
volunteer page. If you've already volunteered – don't worry, our Head
Gopher will be in touch with you soon!

"Remember, all Discworld conventions run entirely on volunteers, and
anything you can do to help will be greatly appreciated! Running a
convention is not a cheap exercise, so we are currently seeking
businesses willing to become sponsors of the Australian Discworld
Convention. If you run a business, or know someone who does, who may be
willing to throw a few dollars our way, please contact us
(_https://ausdwcon.org/about/contact-us/_)with information about the
business and we'll get in touch..."

https://ausdwcon.org/

4.4 IDWCON 2017 NEWS (IRISH DISCWORLD CONVENTION)

The 2017 Irish Discworld Convention is already gearing up! It will be at
the Cork International Hotel on 6th–9th October 2017, and the new
website looks as sharp as a sharp thing:

"Welcome to the IDWCon 2017 website! Please see our About the
Convention, F.A.Q., and Venue pages to find out more. You can sign up
here and you'll find Pre-Con T-shirts here. Our theme this year is the
Unseen University Open Doors Weekend – we’ll be visiting the U.U. to
marvel at introductory lectures, research the groundbreaking Roundworld
project, and find out more about the staff and Faculty. Whether you're a
visiting scholar, a curious local or even a Tourist, the U.U.’s doors
will be open to all for this extra-special event. Hold on to your pointy
hats – it's going to be Hexcellent!"

Full Membership for the convention is priced at €50 (concessions €40;
children 12 and under, accompanied by a paying adult, €1). To purchase
tickets, go to:

http://bit.ly/2azYwsj

FAQ:
http://2017.idwcon.org/index.php/convention/f-a-q.html

Latest news:
http://2017.idwcon.org/index.php/news.html/

http://2017.idwcon.org/

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

05) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS

5.0 NEW: WYRD SISTERS IN LANCRE, ERM, LANCASHIRE! (AUGUST–SEPTEMBER)

The Greenbrook Methodist Church Theatre Group will stage their
production of Wyrd Sisters over the August Bank Holiday weekend!

When: 31st August to 2nd September 2016
Venue: Greenbrook Methodist Church Theatre Group & Community Centre,
Greenbrook Road, Burnley, Lancs BB12 6NZ
Time: 7.30pm all shows
Tickets: £8 adult, £5 child, available by phoning Wendy on 01282 426 889

5.1 NEW: TAMAHER AT THE EDINBURGH FRINGE FESTIVAL! (AUGUST)

At this year’s Edinburgh Fringe Festival, there will be two – count ’em,
two! – Pratchett plays. Geoff Epperson at Carl Sandburg High School in
Chicago, Illinois writes: "As part of the American High School Theatre
Festival, Carl Sandburg High School will present their production of The
Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents. “Maurice is an amazing cat. He
can think, he can talk, and he has an amazing scam going. And all he
needs to pull it off is his army of intelligent rats and one
stupid-looking kid. Carl Sandburg High School is proudly returning to
the Fringe with this frenetic, fantastic, hysterical tale from the great
Sir Terry Pratchett."

When: 5th, 6th, 8th and 10th August 2016
Venue: Surgeons Hall Grand Theatre (Venue 53), Edinburgh Fringe Festival
Time: 9.45am (5th, 6th and 10th); 11.45am (8th)
Tickets: £5, available from
https://tickets.edfringe.com/whats-on/amazing-maurice-and-his-educated-rodents
and boxoffice.surgeons at thespaceuk.com – also in person at the Fringe box
office

“Meanwhile, back in the States...”

Geoff writes: “For Sir Terry’s stateside fans we’ll be performing it at
our home stage in Orland Park, Illinois (Just outside of Chicago) August
26th and 27th at 7pm and Sunday August 28th at 3pm. Tickets are $7.”

Venue: Carl Sandburg High School Performing Arts Center, 13300 S.
LaGrange Road, Orland Park, Illinois, 60462

5.2 REMINDER: MORT AT THE EDINBURGH FRINGE  (AUGUST)

Duck in a Hat are coming back to Edinburgh with another Discworld
production!

"Mort doesn't know what to expect when he starts his new job: apprentice
to the Grim Reaper (scythe, hooded cloak, and all). But things slip out
of his control when he saves a princess destined to die, tearing apart
the fabric of reality. With the help of Death's adopted daughter and a
mysterious manservant, can Mort thwart destiny, save the princess, find
true love and have his own happily ever after? Presented by the team
behind the 2015 sell-out Terry Pratchett's Eric, this is a hilarious new
adaptation of Pratchett's beloved tale of life, death and destiny."

When: 15th–28th August 2016 (excepting 21st)
Venue: Paradise in Augustine's, 41–43 George IV Bridge, Edinburgh, EH1 1EL
Time: 7.35pm all shows
Tickets: £9.50 (£8 concessions), available from
https://edinburghfestival.list.co.uk/event/590050-terry-pratchetts-mort/
or by phone 0131 510 0022

http://duckinahat.weebly.com/
https://twitter.com/duck_in_a_hat (for updates)

5.3 NEW: WYRD SISTERS IN EAST GRINSTEAD (OCTOBER)

The Ace Theatre Company will present their production of Wyrd Sisters in
October.

When: 20th – 22nd October 2016
Venue: Chequer Mead Theatre, De La Warr Road, East Grinstead, West
Sussex RH19 3BS
Time: all evening shows 7.30pm; matinee on Saturday 22nd, 2.30pm
Tickets: evening shows £13 (£11 concessions); Saturday matinee £11 (£9
concessions), available from the Box Office by phoning 01342 302000, by
email to tickets at chequermead.org.uk, or online at
http://www.chequermead.org.uk/whats-on/theatre/event/?e=364967&cat=
(click on the desired date button to purchase)

http://www.chequermead.org.uk/

5.4  REMINDER: LANCRE WITCHES ON THE ROAD! CARPE JUGULUM IN ESSEX (AUGUST)

"Come and join Chameleon's Web Theatre Company for a fun-filled show
suitable for all ages from 4-104.  Although we can guarantee the quality
of the performance we cannot guarantee the British weather so please
bring appropriate clothing for an outdoor performance!  Please bring
rugs, low backed chairs and picnics but be warned – the residents of
Lancre are very partial to a sausage roll or two!"

When: 5th, 6th, 7th, 13th and 14th August 2016
Venue: various; see below
Time: various; see below
Tickets: £11 (£9 concessions; family ticket £34), available from
http://www.chameleonsweb.co.uk/www.ticketsource.co.uk/chameleonsweb or
bookable by phone on 0333 666 3366 (local rate, £1.50 booking charge
which includes postage of tickets)

Venues are:

5th August: The Amphitheatre, Park Drive, Promenade Park, Maldon, Essex
CM9 5HX at 6pm
For more info: http://www.visitmaldon.co.uk/promenade-park/

6th August: Tollesbury Community Centre, East Street, Tollesbury, Essex
CM9 8QD at 7pm (indoors)
For more info: http://bit.ly/299hVmL

7th August: Beth Chatto Gardens, Elmstead Market, Colchester, Essex CO7
7DB at 6pm
For more info:
http://www.bethchatto.co.uk/events/theatre-performance-in-the-gardens.htm

13th August: The Whalebone, Chapel Rd, Colchester, Essex CO5 7BG at 5pm
For more info: http://www.thewhaleboneinn.co.uk/

14th August: Dedham Vale Vineyard, Green Lane, Boxted, Colchester, Essex
CO4 5TS at 6pm
For more info: http://www.dedhamvalevineyard.com/

Tour Information Line - 07936067657 (please note tickets cannot be
purchased from this number)

http://www.chameleonsweb.co.uk/next.html

5.3 NEW: GUARDS! GUARDS! IN THE WIRRAL (JULY)

Greasby Players, who produced a run last year of Wyrd Sisters, will be
staging Guards! Guards! this month!

When: 13th -16th July 2016
Venue: Westbourne Hall, Westbourne Road, West Kirby, Wirral CH48 4DQ
Time: 7.30pm
Tickets: £8.00 (£6.00 concessions). To book, ring 677 9187 or visit
Greasby Players' Facebook page (URL below)

https://www.facebook.com/GreasbyPlayersWirral/
http://www.wirralradio.co.uk/news/whats-on/

5.5 REMINDER: WYRD SISTERS IN RICHMOND, YORKSHIRE (AUGUST)

The Richmond Amateur Dramatic Society aka RADS will be staging their
production of Wyrd Sisters in July. RADS chairman Mike Walker writes,
“For anyone who hasn’t visited the Georgian Theatre Royal, it is an
experience in itself, being Britain’s oldest working theatre in its
original form; a Grade 1 listed building and an accredited museum. It is
an 18th century ‘courtyard’ theatre which seats just over 200 people,
the furthest seat being only 10.7m from the stage! I do hope Terry
Pratchett fans will be interested in seeing Wyrd Sisters in this
fascinating setting.”

When: 4th–6th August 2016
Venue: Georgian Theatre Royal, Victoria Road, Richmond, North Yorkshire,
DL10 4DW
Time: 7.30pm all shows
Tickets: £6.50  to £12.50, available online at
https://tickets.georgiantheatreroyal.co.uk/ or ring the box office 01748
825252

http://www.richmond-ads.org.uk/
http://www.georgiantheatreroyal.co.uk/

5.6 REMINDER: GOING POSTAL IN CARDIFF (AUGUST)

The Monstrous Productions Theatre Company,  who specialise in staging
Pratchett plays and have so far raised – and donated – over £18,000 for
Alzheimer’s Research UK, are taking on the Ankh-Morpork Post Office for
their next project!

"Moist Von Lipwig is a conman, forger and all-round confidence
trickster, always on the look out for the next big game. Until one of
his many personas has a run-in with the law and is hanged to within a
inch of his life. And so begins the biggest game of all. He must restore
Ankh-Morpork's defunct post office to it’s former glory or else have a
second shot at dancing the hemp fandango. On his side he has the Disc's
oldest junior postman, Stanley ('ask me about pins!') and his pottery
probation officer, Mr Pump. It's a mighty task, made mightier by
competition from Ankh-Morpork's newest technology, the Clacks, and its
piratical owner, Reacher Gilt."

When: 17th–20th August 2016
Venue: The Gate Arts Centre, Keppoch Street, Roath, Cardiff CF24 3JW
Time: 7.30pm evening shows (doors open at 7pm); 2.30pm matinee on the
20th (doors open 2pm)
Tickets: £8 (£6 concessions), available from
http://7889269b08cd.fikket.com/ – also by email
(monstrousproductions2012 at gmail.com, pay by cheque or bank transfer)

Also, if you are local to the Cardiff area (or fond of travelling), the
Monstrous company works to a great model: "We announce auditions for
upcoming productions about a month before casting. We have a laid back
audition process and people travel from all over the South Wales area.
No experience is necessary, our only stipulation is that members must be
over 18 and younger than 70. Membership is £10 per year. We rehearse
twice a week over the course of a few months, with some social
activities thrown in."

http://www.monstrousptc.com/

5.7 REMINDER: GUARDS! GUARDS! IN BRISBANE (OCTOBER)

The Brisbane Arts Theatre takes on yet another Discworld play later this
year, in October and November: "From the legendary author Sir Terry
Pratchett comes the eighth novel in the Discworld series and first
featuring the Ankh-Morpork City Watch. Long believed extinct, a superb
specimen, The Noble Dragon has appeared in Discworld's greatest city.
Not only does this unwelcome visitor have a nasty habit of charbroiling
everything in its path, in rather short order it is crowned King (it is
a noble dragon, after all). With some help from an orangutan librarian,
it is the task of the Night Watch to overpower the secret brotherhood
and restore order to the kingdom in this fantastical Discworld adventure."

When: 8th October through 12th November 2016
Venue: Brisbane Arts Theatre, 210 Petrie Terrace, Brisbane, QLD 4000
Time: 8pm Thursdays, Fridays & Saturdays (except 10th November); 6.30pm
Sundays (16th & 30th October)
Tickets: Adults $31, Concession $25, Group 10+ $25, Group 75+ $20,
Student Rush $10(10 mins before curtain), available online at
http://bit.ly/1QGbXBF

http://www.artstheatre.com.au/show/guardsguards

5.8 NEW: MORT IN THE LAND OF FOG (NOVEMBER)

Paeroa Little Theatre's major production for 2016 will be Mort!

When: 9th–18th November 2016
Venue: Paeroa Little Theatre, 1 Francis Street, Paeroa 3600, th North
Island, Land of Fog, er, New Zealand
Time: TBA
Tickets: TBA

http://www.facebook.com/PaeroaLittleTheatre/

5.9  STILL QUITE NEW: WYRD SISTERS IN BOLTON, LANCS (MARCH 2017)

Bolton Little Theatre, "a vibrant amateur theatre company run by
members" since 1931, will be presenting their production of Wyrd Sisters
next March.

When: 6th–11th March 2017
Venue: Bolton Little Theatre, Hanover Street, Bolton BL1 4TG
Time: 7.30pm
Tickets: £10 (Monday night 3 for 2 special), available at
boltonlittletheatre.ticketsource.co.uk – group bookings of 10+ (£9)
should be booked through the Box Office. “You can book at Bolton Little
Theatre box office in person or by telephone on Monday night from 7.30
to 9pm and Friday mornings from 10.30 to 12 noon – no extra charge if
paying by cash or cheque and you can book during the run of the plays or
you can book online at boltonlittletheatre.ticketsource.co.uk ...credit
card charges will apply. Tickets can be e-tickets (no charge) mobile
phone ticket (50p) standard post (£1.50).”

http://www.boltonlittletheatre.co.uk/terry-pratchetts-wyrd-sisters/

5.10 REVIEWS: WYRD SISTERS IN DARLINGTON, FOURECKS

By Douglas Sutherland-Bruce for Weekend Notes:

"Young director Harrison MacLennan has assembled a very young cast to
present this classic of the genre. First let me say that the sets
designed and built by Owen Davis and his team is nothing short of
miraculous. Beautifully detailed and painted on about six reversible
truck flats the scenes changes (a LOT of them) were smooth, swift and
silent... innovative use of the stage added to the imaginative use of
lights and sound was simply magical. As might be expected with such a
young and largely inexperienced cast (for many this was their first time
on stage) the stagecraft was somewhat problematic but the energy and
enthusiasm made up for it. The cast was filled out by some highly
experienced actors which re-dressed the balance. Taneal Thompson makes a
welcome return to Marloo as the villainous duchess. Fi Livings, as the
doyenne of witches, Granny Weatherwax, was outstanding, as was relative
newcomer Chantelle Pitt's Nanny Ogg. Her accent roamed all over the
British Isles from Ireland, through Cornwall to the Outer Hebrides but
that just added to the charm of her performance. In fact 'charming' is
probably the most significant description of the production... The cast
worked well together and the audience thoroughly enjoyed themselves, as
I would expect any audience to do – it would be hard to not like this
delightful show..."

http://www.weekendnotes.com/wyrd-sisters-marloo-theatre/

...and by Gordon the Optom for the Independent Theatre Association:

"I think this may be the first major production directed by Harrison
MacLennan, who was ably assisted here by Guy Jackson. With a massive
cast to handle and some actors as young as 12 yrs. (Molly O’Hehir – a
star in the making?), I was expecting the show to stagger through.
However, EVERY member of the cast was superbly rehearsed and totally
focused. There were no vacant faces when other actors were talking, and
everyone acted with their bodies and faces. Good, solid and natural
performances from this young team. The magnificent witches had some
hilarious lines, delivered with perfect comedic timing. The entrances
and exits worked smoothly, even when a dozen actors were involved..."

http://www.ita.org.au/2016/06/wyrd-sisters-reviewed-by-gordon-the-optom/

5.11 REVIEW: LORDS AND LADIES IN NEWCASTLE

By Denise Sparrowhawk for SpikeMike:

"The People's Theatre have once again taken on the challenge of a big
cast production with over 25 characters. And that's before you even
consider the legacy of Terry Pratchett hovering over the whole
proceeding! But as usual the People's team have taken on the challenge
and presented a blinding production. Magnificent costumes, spectacular
sound and lighting, a few clever special effects and some almost perfect
comic timing make this an incredible show. We have morris dancers,
wizards, witches - old and new. You have to love the teenage emo witches
with their carefully ragged outfits and their self-consciously
co-ordinated black lace handkerchiefs). An unexpected king and his queen
to be, chosen from his subjects ( like all good fairy tales). Wicked
elves, a glamorous bad queen and of course, an Orang-utan... If you were
thinking it's all sounding a bit panto-ish, you'd not be far wrong, and
of course, there is nothing the People's theatre do better than panto
and Shakespeare. The characters are colourful, larger than life, the
humour is witty and bawdy, and at times cuttingly sharp... Standout
performances from Sarah Scott as Magrat Garlick, Kath Frazer as Granny
Witherwack[sic], and Val Russell as nanny Og[sic], who between them save
the day.. a marvellous feel good production with a serious message about
society if you'd care to look for it, or you could just enjoy the
spectacle..."

http://bit.ly/2aT8mEH

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

06) DISCWORLD MEETING GROUPS NEWS: UPDATES AND REMINDERS

The Broken Drummers, "London's Premier Unofficially Official Discworld
Group" (motto "Nil percussio est"), meets next on Monday 1st August 2016
at the Monkey Puzzle, 30 Southwick Street, London, W2 1JQ. For more
information, go to http://brokendrummers.org/ or email
BrokenDrummers at gmail.com or nicholls.helen at yahoo.co.uk

*

Canberra, Australia's Discworld fan group is Drumknott's Irregulars: "We
are a newly established Terry Pratchett & Discworld social group in
Canberra called Drumknott's Irregulars. The group is open to all, people
from interstate and overseas are welcome, and our events will not be
heavily themed. Come along to dinner for a chat and good company. We
welcome people all all fandoms (and none) and we would love to see you
at one of our events, even if you're just passing through. Please
contact us via Facebook
(_https://www.facebook.com/groups/824987924250161/_) or Google Groups
(_https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/drumknotts-irregulars_) or
join us at our next event."

*

For Facebook users in Fourecks: The Victorian Discworld Klatch is "a
social group for fans of Discworld and Terry Pratchett... run by a
dedicated team who meet monthly and organise events monthly." "If you'd
like to join our events please ask to join the Klatch."

https://www.facebook.com/groups/VictorianDiscworldKlatch

*

"The Gathering of the Loonies (Wincanton chapter)" is a public Facebook
meeting group: "This group, by request of Jo in Bear will continue to be
used for future unofficial (not run by the Emporium) fan Gatherings in
Wincanton. Look here for information." [Editor's note: this is an active
group. If you use Facebook, it may be worth joining!]

https://www.facebook.com/groups/373578522834654/

*

The Pratchett Partisans are a fan group who meet monthly at either
Brisbane or Indooroopilly to "eat, drink and chat about all things
Pratchett. We hold events such as Discworld dinners, games afternoons,
Discworld photo scavenger hunts. We also attend opening night at
Brisbane Arts Theatre's Discworld plays." The Partisans currently have
about 200 members who meet at least twice a month, usually in Brisbane.

For more info about their next meetup, join up at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/pratchettpartisans/ or contact Ula
directly at uwilmott at yahoo.com.au

*

The City of Small Gods is a group for fans in Adelaide and South Australia.

"We have an established Terry Pratchett & Discworld fan group in
Adelaide called The City of Small Gods, which is open to anyone who
would like to come - you don't have to live in Adelaide or even South
Australia, or even be a Discworld fan, but that's mostly where our
events will be held, and we do like discussing Pratchett's works. Our
(semi-) regular meetings are generally held on the last Thursday of the
month at a pub or restaurant in Adelaide. We have dinner at 6.30pm
followed by games until 9pm. The games are usually shorter games like
Pairs, Sushi Go, or Tiny Epic Defenders, with the occasional Werewolf
session, as these are the best sort of games that work in a pub setting.
Every few months, we have a full day's worth of board games at La Scala
Cafe, 169 Unley Rd, Unley in the function room starting at 10am. In
addition, we will occasionally have other events to go and see plays by
Unseen Theatre Company, book discussions on Terry's latest, craft, chain
maille or costuming workshops or other fun social activities."

The next Monthly Dinner and Games at the Caledonian Hotel will be held
on 25th August 2016. For more info, go to www.cityofsmallgods.org.au

*

The Broken Vectis Drummers meet next on Thursday 4th August 2016
(probably) from 7.30pm at The Castle pub in Newport, Isle of Wight. For
more info and any queries, contact broken_vectis_drummers at yahoo.co.uk

*

The Wincanton Omnian Temperance Society (WOTS) next meets on Friday 5th
August 2016 (probably) at Wincanton's famous Bear Inn from 7pm onwards.
"Visitors and drop-ins are always welcome!"

*

The Northern Institute of the Ankh-Morpork and District Society of
Flatalists, a Pratchett fangroup, has been meeting on a regular basis
since 2005 but is now looking to take in some new blood (presumably not
in the non-reformed Uberwald manner). The Flatalists normally meet at
The Narrowboat Pub in Victoria Street, Skipton, North Yorkshire, to
discuss "all things Pratchett" as well as having quizzes and raffles.
Details of future meetings are posted on the Events section of the
Discworld Stamps forum:

http://www.discworldstamps.co.uk/forum/

*

Sydney Drummers (formerly Drummers Downunder) meet next on Monday 1st
August 2016 at 6.30pm (probably) in Sydney at 3 Wise Monkeys, 555 George
Street, Sydney,2000. For more information, contact Sue (aka Granny
Weatherwax): kenworthys at yahoo.co.uk

*

The Treacle Mining Corporation, formerly known as Perth Drummers, meets
next on Monday 1st August 2016 (probably) from 5.30pm at Carpe Cafe, 526
Murray Street, Perth, Western Australia. For details follow Perth
Drummers on Twitter @Perth_Drummers or join their Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Perth.Drummers/ – or message Alexandra
Ware directly at <alexandra.ware at gmail.com>

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

07) DISCWORLD ARTS AND CRAFTS NEWS

7.1 FROM DISCWORLD.COM

* The Terry Pratchett 2017 Diary!

"Sir Terry Pratchett left us, far too early, in March 2015. To celebrate
his life and works, we’ve given over the 2017 Discworld Diary – which
will be a perennial diary – to remembrances and tributes from some of
those who knew and loved him and his extraordinary body of work.
Contributors include Neil Gaiman, A S Byatt, Terry Pratchett’s literary
agent Colin Smythe, co-author of the Long Earth books Stephen Baxter,
famed bookseller Rog Peyton, and many more. With an introduction from
his daughter Rhianna Pratchett and an afterword from longtime friend and
colleague Rob Wilkins. Exclusively embossed with Sir Terry’s signature
and sealed with his personal coat of arms – the design of which he
oversaw himself."

The Terry Pratchett Diary is priced at £20.00 and will be published on
13th October 2016. For more information, and to pre-order, go to
http://discworld.com/products/books/terry-pratchett-diary/

7.2 FROM THE DISCWORLD EMPORIUM

* The Discworld 2017 Collector's Edition calendar!

"Featuring the iconic fantasy artwork of Josh Kirby, the 2017 Discworld
calendar is a nostalgic celebration of his spectacular and unmistakable
cover illustrations for Terry Pratchett's earliest Discworld books. The
2017 calendar features twelve pieces of artwork, along with all those
important Discworld and roundworld dates that you'll still forget about
despite them hanging on your wall in such a decorative fashion. Each
calendar includes a full page of colourful artwork for each month along
with plenty of space for your notes, reminders and appointments.
Includes all major realtime calendrical data for Great Britain, Eire,
Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the USA, as well as notable Discworld
dates."

The 2017 Discworld Calendar is priced at £14.99, plus shipping
(variable). For more information, and to order, go to

http://discworld.com/products/books/terry-pratchett-diary/

* New Discworld Collector's Library releases! With combined shipping!

"We're now offering combined shipping when you pre-order all four new
Collector's Library Edition books! The Last Continent, Carpe Jugulum,
The Fifth Elephant and The Truth will be published October 20th, all
with stunning new cover artwork by Joe McLaren! Every copy of these
beautiful hardbacks include a FREE Unseen University Library Bookplate,
printed on real gummed stamp paper – exclusive to copies from the
Discworld Emporium! If you have already placed an order that you would
like to amend please contact us with your order number via
shop at discworldemporium.com and we will be happy to help!"

Each of the four books is priced at £12.99, with a special combination
price of £51.96 for all four (shipping included). For more information,
and to pre-order, go to

http://www.discworldemporium.com/new-terry-pratchett-books

* Fantastic beasts (and where to find them)!

No, nowt to do with Harry Potter. This is a gorgeous tea towel featuring
many of the odd fauna and flora of the Disc: "100% cotton tea towel
featuring some of our favourite Discworld plants and critters, including
the Curious Squid, Quantum Weather Butterfly, Counting Pine, Hermit
Elephant and Swamp Dragon! Illustrated exclusively for us in glorious
thaumicolour by Vladimir Stankovic in his wonderfully dark story-book
style, this fantastical tea towel is a tribute to some of the 'wilder'
creations from the mind of Terry Pratchett – the flora and fauna that
made the Discworld world just a little bit more, well, Discworld."

The Flora and Fauna tea towel measures 78 x 48cm and is priced at £9.95.
For more information, and to order, go to

http://bit.ly/2acTPlI

The Flora and Fauna of Discworld print is also available as a poster,
priced at £15.00 and measuring 80.5 x 50cm. For more information, and to
order, go to

http://www.discworldemporium.com/discworld-flora-and-fauna-poster

7.3 FROM THE PAUL KIDBY SHOP

The Discworld Colouring Book is almost ready! It will be published by
Gollancz on the 18th of August, and Paul Kidby's shop is offering an
exclusive signed ‘Pencil Eater’ bookplate with each copy.

Priced at £13.50 (price includes postage & packaging for UK deliveries
only). For more information, and to pre-order, go to

http://bit.ly/2alSV63

7.4 ... AND FROM SOME PASSIONATE PRATCHETT FANS IN FOURECKS

The City of Small Gods fan club in Adelaide, South Australia, has
commissioned their own line of logo-bedecked clothing! There are several
items available: a Bell Polo, a Contrast Polo (both priced at
AU$35-AU$40), a Shepherd Hoodie (AU$50-AU$55) and a Contrast Fleecy
Hoodie (AU$60-AU$65), all looking very classy too. For more information,
and to order, go to

https://t.co/PFW6OuvHTR

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

08) A FEW ODDS AND SODS

8.1 JOSH KIRBY ART FOR GAMES

 From the MarketersMedia press release:

"The Josh Kirby Estate has announced an exclusive partnership with
Seattle-area based games developer MetaArcade, providing Kirby's art for
use within its upcoming game, a digital remastering of the iconic
tabletop RPG, Tunnels & Trolls. Featuring Kirby's original creations,
MetaArcade will debut its prototype of Tunnels & Trolls at Gen Con, held
Aug. 4-7 in Indianapolis, celebrating the game's 40th consecutive
attendance. Rob Liano, Chief Marketing Officer of the Josh Kirby Estate,
said 'Josh was creative and innovative and we couldn't be more excited
about bringing his distinctive work to life for new audiences on digital
platforms by partnering with fellow innovators like MetaArcade.'...
Kirby was highly sought after by the time the 1980s rolled around, yet
he lent his talents to creating the interior art and full-color covers
for a limited series of Tunnels & Trolls books, at the time, distributed
only in the United Kingdom. Kirby's unmistakable art for Tunnels &
Trolls has largely been out of print for decades, and will now play an
integral role in MetaArcade's remastering of Tunnels & Trolls for
digital platforms, including iOS, Android, PC, and Mac. David Reid,
Founder & CEO of MetaArcade, said 'Josh Kirby stands as one of the
world's premier fantasy artists, and we are thrilled to honour his
legacy by showcasing his work in both our Tunnels & Trolls game and the
beginning of the MetaArcade Adventures Platform content library.'..."

http://bit.ly/2aq3lCK

Ben Barrett of PC Games adds info in his article:

"Kirby also created work for the original Tunnels & Trolls books, the
tabletop adventure IP on which MetaArcade is building one of its games
and the first ever followup to D&D. They wanted to use that same art for
the digital version once they found it, as CEO David Reid explains.
'Early in our development of the Tunnels & Trolls prototype, we did a
quick inventory of all the books in circulation,' he says. 'One of our
partners picked up the Corgi book which included solo adventures Naked
Doom and Deathtrap Equalizer, which included artwork [we'd] never seen.
We were instantly blown away by the quality of the art Josh had created,
and after conferring with Flying Buffalo to determine the artwork's
origins, we contacted the Josh Kirby Estate through Rob Liano.'

"Reid also says that some of the very best adventures in the original
books were illustrated by Kirby, and they’re going to debut his art as
part of the digital version at GenCon this year, August 4-7. While it's
going to be used to illustrate the same adventures it originally did, it
will also be part of the MetaArcade Adventures Platform, meaning budding
designers can use Kirby's art as part of their own games if they wish.
'Personally, as I look over the archive of art from the past 40 years,
at times entire ideas for adventures spring forth to me just by looking
at one illustration,' says Reid, 'and it's my hope and expectation that
other writers will take the same inspiration from Josh's art and the
rest of the library...'"

http://www.pcgamesn.com/tunnels-trolls/metaarcade-josh-kirby-art

8.2 WHY DISCWORLD NOVELS "RESIST ADAPTATION"

A thought-provoking op-ed by Prospero for The Economist. Longish by
current internet-idiot standards, but worth reading all the way through.
Some extracts:

"A newcomer to Pratchett would be forgiven for feeling a little baffled:
how could such a commercially successful series, matched only by 'Harry
Potter' and 'Twilight', have avoided the siren call of Hollywood for so
long? The will-they-won’t-they saga of bringing Pratchett to the big
screen is almost as long as the 41-strong novel series itself. In 1992,
Pratchett was approached by an American production company about his
novel 'Mort', a dark comedy about the skeletal, scythe-wielding figure
of Death taking on an intern... 'We've been doing market research and
the skeleton bit doesn't work for us, it’s a bit of a downer,' Pratchett
recalled the producers saying, 'We love it, it's high concept – just
lose the Death angle.' The film went no further... One explanation for
the Sisyphean back-and-forth might be just the fiercely anti-Disney,
sceptical bent to Pratchett's writing. Any book which has as its guiding
credo the line: 'If you trust in yourself…and believe in your
dreams...and follow your star…you'll still get beaten by people who
spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy'
is going to find it tough to maintain its integrity once the studio has
made it commercially palatable.

"Or so we might have thought. But Hollywood is rapidly turning
subversion of its own tropes into its chief box office asset. 'Frozen',
a Disney princess story about the bond between two sisters that made
more than $1 billion worldwide, cheerfully rewrote all the accepted
kid-friendly rules about dreams and true love. It has ushered in an
irreverent revisionist wave from 'Into the Woods' to 'The Lego Movie'
that would comfortably incorporate a strong heroine uninterested in
romance, much like 'The Wee Free Men''s Tiffany Aching. The irony and
subversion powering Pratchett's writing has never had a better time to
flourish in Hollywood. Yet even with this change, Pratchett's works
resist easy adaptation. Much as Douglas Adams's 'The Hitchhiker's Guide
to the Galaxy' long resisted a film version (and even then produced a
mediocre result), Pratchett's authorial voice is hard to convey on the
screen. Pratchett in particular relies on paratext – a novel commenting
on being a novel. Reading him is to be endlessly second-guessed. The
brilliance of a quip like 'Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day,
but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life' lies in its
subversion of expectation, but in a particularly literary way. Its force
depends on the eye crossing the page, not a viewer watching images on a
screen..."

http://www.economist.com/blogs/prospero/2016/07/books-film

8.3 ANKH-MORPORK: YOU WOULDN'T WANT TO LIVE THERE, BUT...

On Bustle.com, Charlotte Ahlin lists "10 fictional places we wish we
could travel to in real life", and number four – one rank higher than
the Shire! – is Ankh-Morpork:

"Yes, the city-state of Ankh-Morpork is a mess, but if you're visiting
Terry Pratchett's Discworld, you won't want to miss it. It's rife with
violence and corruption, but in a fun way. You can take a class at
Unseen University, or grab a drink at Biers ("where everybody knows your
shape"). As the biggest city in all of Discworld, Ankh-Morpork is filled
with all manner of humans, dwarves, wizards, and other fantasy
characters, both living and undead. Just bring some hand-sanitizer, if
you decide to make the trip."

http://bit.ly/29KunUe

8.4 VIDEOS: ALZHEIMER'S AND MEMORY

On Scroll.in, a series of Alzheimer's-related videos ("These are the
memories that people with Alzheimer's never want to forget") includes
Sir Pterry. All are worth watching.

http://bit.ly/2aiQRhi

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

09) IMAGES OF THE MONTH

Paul Kidby's wonderful portrait of the Chalk Clan's "usual suspects",
including Hamish the Aviator and Morag, from The Wee Free Men:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CnzKjXDWcAAKLUF.jpg

...and the magnificent Lady Esmerelda Weatherwax, Patron of the Opera,
as drawn by Paul Kidby for the Talpress edition of Maskerade:
http://bit.ly/2aqouMT

[Editor's note: if you look at the photo on this page
(_http://picturesup.typepad.com/pictures-up/2010/10/poison-is-queen.html_)
– which is of the equally magnificent Sian Phillips in ageing makeup as
the elderly Livia in I, Claudius – you can see a very strong
resemblance. I've always felt that Ms Phillips (now Dame Sian) was the
physical inspiration for Granny, whether Pterry and Paul Kidby realised
it or not. Never forget that Granny was a very handsome woman, even if
her sternness made her less so; after all, Pterry told us that both
Weatherwax sisters looked very alike, but Lily was considered beautiful!]

Hags of Fourecks: Nanny (Chantelle Pitt), Granny (Fi Livings) and Magrat
(Alisha Napier) as presented in the Marloo Theatre's recent production
of Wyrd Sisters:
http://www.weekendnotes.com/im/003/03/wyrd-sisters-stephen-briggs-terry-pratchett-discwo1.jpg

Daniel Robinson's excellent Discworld cake for his father (originally
tweeted at https://twitter.com/DPR1990/status/756841307612545024):
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CoDXJqYW8AAb4o_.jpg

...and for your Librarian-inspired pleasure, here be one of Melbourne
Zoo's marvellous orangutans, displaying his fashion sense with a knowing
look:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CoBd86GXEAEB_uu.jpg

10) CLOSE

And that's the lot for July. Take care, and we'll see you next month!

– Annie Mac

The mirror version of this issue can be viewed at
http://wossname.dreamwidth.org/39344.html

The End. If you have any questions or requests, write: wossname-owner
(at) pearwood (dot) info