Wossname -- January 2017 -- main issue

News and reviews about the works of Sir Terry Pratchett wossname at pearwood.info
Sun Jan 29 09:32:02 AEDT 2017

Wossname
January 2017 (Volume 20, Issue 1, Post 1)

WOSSNAME is a free publication offering news, reviews, and all the other
stuff-that-fits pertaining to the works of Sir Terry Pratchett.
Originally founded by the late, great Joe Schaumburger for members of
the worldwide Klatchian Foreign Legion and its affiliates, including the
North American Discworld Society and other continental groups, Wossname
is now for Discworld and Pratchett fans everywhere in Roundworld.

Editor in Chief: Annie Mac
News Editor: Vera P
Newshounds: Mogg, Sir J of Croydon Below, the Shadow, Mss C, Alison not
Aliss
Staff Writers: Asti, Pitt the Elder, Evil Steven Dread, Mrs Wynn-Jones
Staff Technomancers: Jason Parlevliet, Archchancellor Neil, DJ Helpful
Book Reviews: Annie Mac, Drusilla D'Afanguin, Your Name Here
Puzzle Editor: Tiff (still out there somewhere)
Emergency Staff: Steven D'Aprano, Jason Parlevliet
World Membership Director: Steven D'Aprano (in his copious spare time)

01) QUOTES OF THE MONTH
02) EDITOR'S LETTER
03) ODDS AND SODS
04) NEW DOCUMENTARY! AND GOOD OMENS TELLY SERIES!
05) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS
06) DISCWORLD MEETING GROUPS NEWS
07) DISCWORLD ARTS AND CRAFTS NEWS
08) DISCWORLD CONVENTION NEWS
09) AROUND THE BLOGOSPHERE
10) IMAGES OF THE MONTH
11) CLOSE

01) QUOTES OF THE MONTH

"Here you go. This is what we were working on last year and – more
importantly – the last few months of Terry's life."
– the @terryandrob Twitter account announces the new documentary

"Almost 30 years ago Terry Pratchett and I wrote the funniest novel we
could about the end of the world, populated with angels and demons, not
to mention an 11 year-old Antichrist, witch-finders and the four
horse-people of the Apocalypse. It became many people's favourite book.
Three decades later, it's going to make it to the screen. I can't think
of anyone we'd rather make it with than BBC Studios, and I just wish Sir
Terry was alive to see it."
– Neil Gaiman on the forthcoming Good Omens telly series

"With help from literary figures such as Neil Gaiman and Val McDermid,
the poignant and humorous documentary Terry Pratchett: Back In Black
tells the remarkable tale of this brilliant and original author, from
troubled schooldays to being knighted by the Queen. Using an actor (Paul
Kaye) to voice the words of Terry Pratchett in uncanny character, the
resulting documentary film is by turns surreal, witty and unexpectedly
poignant."
– the BBC Mediacentre

"There is almost no subject that Terry Pratchett hasn't explained
better, funnier and more times than just about anyone else on the planet."
– journalist Katherine Trendacosta, on Gizmodo

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

02) LETTER FROM YOUR EDITOR

Well, we made it to 2017. Happy Roundworld New Year and Year of the
Backwards Facing Artichoke to you all – and happy twentieth anniversary
for Wossname!

If you read the news (and I imagine pretty much everyone is at the
moment), it's certainly clear we're living in (coughs) interesting
times, but as this is a Pratchett newsletter the only politics likely to
be discussed here belong to Ankh-Morpork and its Disc-wide relations. I
will go so far as to say that the wisdom and perspicacity Sir Pterry
gave us through his writing has never been needed in certain quarters as
badly as it is now, and encourage Pratchett readers in (coughs) certain
quarters to keep spreading the "stealth philosophy" and humanistic
messages we know and admire in his novels... However, there *is* some
exciting Pratchett news and Wossname is happy to announce it: a new
documentary airing in less than a fortnight, and a confirmation that the
Good Omens telly series is going ahead with a planned release for next
year.

Right, on with the show!

– Annie Mac, Editor

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

03) ODDS AND SODS

3.1 JOSH KIRBY DISCWORLD ART NEWS

For Kirby fans, some very promising news about Discworld art prints:

"We are excited to announce that we'll soon be releasing pre-sale
information for Limited Edition Josh Kirby Discworld fine art prints.
These will be unlike any others you've seen in the past. We're
meticulously testing paper options and printers to find the best option
for our exacting demands. They will be numbered, signed and certified by
the estate and ready for collecting or framing. In the meantime if you
haven't chosen your favourite Discworld phone case, head over to our
online store to whet your appetite. Stay tuned for more information and
thank you so much for being a part of the Josh Kirby Universe!"

http://www.joshkirbyart.com

3.2 SOME VERY USEFUL QUOTATIONS

Mainly for the benefit of dwellers in (coughs) certain quarters, but of
no less interest to all Roundworld, Gizmodo offers an intelligent list
of "10 Discworld Quotes You'll Desperately Need For The Next Four Years"
– including quotes from Vetinari, Vimes, Tiffany Aching and others. Some
examples:

"6) There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There
are those who, when presented with a glass that is exactly half full,
say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this
glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look
at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me?
This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a
bigger glass! And at the other end of the bar the world is full of the
other type of person, who has a broken glass, or a glass that has been
carefully knocked over (usually by one of the people calling for a
larger glass), or who had no glass at all, because they were at the back
of the crowd and had failed to catch the barman's eye. – The Truth

"The world belongs to the entitled, who somehow not only avoid blame,
but avoid being included in the proverbs.

"7) 'The secret is not to dream,' she whispered. 'The secret is to wake
up. Waking up is harder. I have woken up and I am real. I know where I
come from and I know where I'm going. You cannot fool me anymore. Or
touch me. Or anything that is mine.' – Tiffany Aching, The Wee Free Men

"Pratchett followed this by saying that you can't be 'awake' all the
time, that we dream because seeing everything as it really is would
break us. And that explains why people complain when their 'escapism'
touches on truths..."

[There are, of course, an uncountable number of other appropriate
Pratchett quotes for our times, but this one's a well-chosen selection.
– Ed.]

http://bit.ly/2kd41TV

3.3 THE OTHER DARK MORRIS

As always, there was wassailing in the depths of winter:

"Members of the Leominster Morris have celebrated the ancient custom of
wassailing, said to prepare orchards for the new year, blessing trees
with a good crop and frightening away evil spirits. Morris dancers and
mummers led a procession to an orchard near Tenbury Wells,
Worcestershire, to perform the ceremony, which involves placing a
cider-soaked piece of Christmas cake on the branches of an apple tree
and sprinkling cider around its roots, dancing and singing the Wassail
Song. The term Wassail comes from the Anglo-Saxon phrase 'waes hael',
and, originally, the wassail was a drink made with mulled ale and passed
round in the communal wassail cup. Traditionally, wassailing was on Old
Twelfth Night, 17 January, but nowadays it is often earlier in line with
the Gregorian calendar."

(contains many excellent iconographs!)

http://www.bbc.com/news/in-pictures-38517447

In other Morris news, a Chelmsford side is calling for would-be Morrisers:

"A decades-old Morris dancing group says it desperately needs 'fit,
mildly eccentric men' to join in order to keep going. Chelmsford Morris
was founded in 1972 and currently has about 30 members. However, the
vast majority of members are now women and some male members are
expected to retire soon. Club bagman Celia Kemp said the the situation
meant 'the men of Chelmsford Morris may have to stop dancing in 2017
because of a shortage of dancers'. 'The women's side is doing really
quite well,' she said. 'They are going from strength to strength. But we
really need some younger people to join. We have nine grown up sons
between us and none of them have taken up Morris dancing. We would like
people who have perhaps got fed up with the gym and who want to try
something new – it is also such a good social life. Eccentricity is not
a requirement but is usually the definition of a Morris dancer.'..."

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-essex-38663448

3.4 SIR PTERRY HONOURED IN SCIENCE FICTION HALL OF FAME

On the Locus Magazine website:

"The Museum of Pop Culture (MoPOP) announced the 2016 inductees to the
Science Fiction and Fantasy Hall of Fame. Eligibility has been expanded
'to recognize the genre's most impactful creations,' and the 2016
inductees are authors Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams, along with Star
Trek and Blade Runner.

http://www.locusmag.com/News/2017/01/2016-sff-hall-of-fame-inductees/

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

04) NEW DOCUMENTARY! AND GOOD OMENS TELLY SERIES NEWS

4.1 "TERRY PRATCHETT: BACK IN BLACK" ON YOUR TELLY!

The "fourth instalment in the Terry Pratchett trilogy" of documentaries
will be broadcast on BBC2 on Saturday, 11th February!

As announced in the Radio Times, by Ben Dowell:

"The BBC is making a documentary about the late writer Terry Pratchett
in which his words will be read in character by actor Paul Kaye. Terry
Pratchett: Back In Black is told in Pratchett's own words, with
contributions from authors Neil Gaiman and Val McDermid, and his
long-serving assistant Rob Wilkins. Kaye's impression of Pratchett is
said to be 'uncanny' according to the BBC. The programme, which airs on
BBC2 later this year, will follow his life from his troubled schooldays,
to being dismissed by literary critics, to the remarkable creation of
the Discworld series of fantasy novels, which have since sold over 85
million copies worldwide. It will also chronicle Pratchett's battle with
Alzheimer's and his death in 2015. 'The documentary film is, by turns,
surreal, witty and unexpectedly poignant,' the BBC said in a statement.
'Knighted by the Queen, adored by millions of fans and with a legacy of
41 much loved novels – Terry Pratchett is still having the last laugh.'"

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-01-12/bbc-reveal-plans-for-poignant-new-terry-pratchett-documentary

And on the BBC's news website:

"A 'humorous documentary' about the late fantasy author Sir Terry
Pratchett has been commissioned by BBC Two. Terry Pratchett: Back in
Black will tell his story in his own words, with comedian Paul Kaye
voicing the writer. 'Terry wanted to... write the story of his life as a
writer but he never got around to it,' said Mark Bell, head of
commissioning for BBC Arts... The film, to air on BBC Two later this
year, will feature contributions from authors Neil Gaiman and Val
McDermid. Rob Wilkins, the writer's long-serving assistant, said they
had been working on the documentary during 'the last few months of
Terry's life'. Wilkins said the film would follow the 'trilogy' of TV
documentaries Sir Terry made between 2009 and 2013..."

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-38601542

...and in the Bucks Free press, where the young Pratchett started his
career in Writing Things Down:

"BBC crews descended on the Bucks Free Press offices in Station Road,
Loudwater, to film parts of the new documentary in September last year.
In the scenes, Paul Kaye as Sir Terry is sat at his typewriter,
surrounded by piles of papers while the BFP’s current reporters work in
the background..."

http://bit.ly/2jWeYXk

 From the Press Association, via the Irish Independent:

"The Discworld author was working on his own life story before he died
in 2015, but Alzheimer's meant that he was not able to finish it. Now
Terry Pratchett: Back In Black will tell the writer's story in his own
words, with comedian and actor Paul Kaye voicing the writer... Sir
Terry's books sold millions of copies worldwide and were translated into
more than 30 languages. He completed his last book – set like so many of
his best-sellers in Discworld – a year before his death. Towards the end
of his life, he used his fame and wealth to campaign for a greater
awareness of dementia and assisted dying. Mark Bell, head of
commissioning for BBC Arts, said: 'Terry wanted to effectively write the
story of his life as a writer but he never got around to it because his
bad health intervened. This was an attempt to say, here's a way of
bringing his life as a writer to life. We got Paul Kaye to say Terry's
words. It's quite bold and the family saw it and were moved I think.
It's a sweet film.'"

http://bit.ly/2jfDyoZ

 From William Hughes, on the AV Club:

"Best-selling fantasy author Terry Pratchett didn't shy away from his
own mortality. After being diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease in 2007,
the beloved Discworld author continued to write and work, even filming
three somewhat grimly titled TV documentaries – Living With Alzheimer's,
Choosing To Die, and the conservation-themed Facing Extinction – before
his death in 2015. Now, the BBC is working to celebrate Pratchett's
life, announcing a new, humor-laden documentary titled Terry Pratchett:
Back In Black. The name, presumably, is a reference to Pratchett's
frequently single-color wardrobe, while the film itself will feature a
large amount of footage that was shot specifically for the production in
the months before his death. British actor Paul Kaye will give voice to
Pratchett's comic musings, as the doc attempts to capture the warmth,
humor, and humanity that Pratchett infused into each of his more than 70
novels..."

http://www.avclub.com/article/bbc-making-new-terry-pratchett-documentary-248353

...and from the Penguin Classics website:

"If, like us, you can't wait to see Paul Kaye in action as Pratchett,
you can catch a glimpse of him in the BBC's Cultural Highlights of 2017.
Click below and skip to 01:35..."

http://classics.penguin.co.uk/c/1ujjmu7fbxqi4uIspWdnxMwVU

4.2 GOOD OMENS, ALSO ON YOUR TELLY!

Exciting news for Good Omens fans [Surely that's all of us – Ed.] – the
Good Omens miniseries will be coming to the small screen next year, on
the BBC and – for USA viewers – on Amazon Prime. Roll on, Lower Tadfield!

The announcement, on Discworld.com:

"Narrativia are delighted to announce their first major television
Co-Production with BBC Studios and Neil Gaiman's Blank Corporation. The
series will be broadcast in 2018 by Amazon Prime Video and the BBC.
BAFTA-winning producers and Narrativia Directors Rob Wilkins and Rod
Brown are to Executive Produce the project.

"Rob Wilkins said, 'Development began back in 2011 when Terry was still
very much part of the process and we are thoroughly delighted that Neil
has written six absolutely brilliant episodes that bring their novel to
life. Terry would be thrilled.'

"Rod Brown added 'Narrativia was founded in 2012 by Sir Terry himself,
with a mission statement to seek out co-production partners and
broadcasters who not only had the vision to "get" Terry's (and in this
case Neil's) tone of writing and storytelling, but also to have the
financial ability to present his work with no compromise of scale or
talent and at the highest possible quality, whatever medium we were
working in. This TV production announcement, especially as it is one of
a number of exciting projects we have in the pipeline, delivers on
Terry's vision, as did our other recent announcement of our partnership
with The Jim Henson Company on the Wee Free Men film project to be
written by multi award-winning Rhianna Pratchett. We know that Good
Omens, with its wonderful script written by the legendary Neil Gaiman,
and the talent we are working with at Amazon and the BBC will be one the
must-see shows of 2018!'"

To view online, go to http://bit.ly/2iYd5dQ

http://narrativia.com/

 From Penguin Classics:

"Hot on the heels of the BBC's announcement of a new Pratchett
documentary, comes an update on BBC Studios' Good Omens adaptation. The
six-part comedy series will be adapted for television by Terry's
co-author on the book, Neil Gaiman. The series will be broadcast on the
BBC and Amazon Prime in 2018. Spanning not only the universe but also
the entirety of time... this is a story that may be the largest ever
told on television. We're excited to be working with BBC Studios to
bring Neil and Terry Pratchett's incredible book to life."
– Joe Lewis, Head of Comedy and Drama (Amazon Studios)

"Good Omens has always been one of my favourite books, and it's hugely
exciting not just to be able to bring it to life, but to do so with
scripts from Neil Gaiman himself. It feels like a good time to be making
a comedy about an impending global apocalypse."
– Chris Sussman, Head of Comedy (BBC Studios)

In The Guardian:

"Gaiman, who is also serving as showrunner on the series, has written
all six one-hour episodes. The show, which has been co-produced with BBC
Studios, will premiere in 2018 on Amazon's streaming service Prime
Video, and will be broadcast on the BBC in the UK soon afterwards..."

http://bit.ly/2jyOM6N

On film site Joblo:

"A proper adaptation of GOOD OMENS has been in the works for quite some
time. The show will be co-produced by BBC Studios with Narrativia, which
is the production company of the late Terry Pratchett's daughter,
Rhianna. Joining them in the production efforts of bringing this
apocalyptic odyssey to life will be Blank Corporation and BBC Worldwide
for Amazon Video and the BBC... Gaiman, along with Caroline Skinner, and
Chris Sussman will act as executive producers on the project for BBC
Studios – with Rob Wilkins and Rod Brown for Narrativia. In addition to
the show's exclusive launch on Amazon Prime's streaming service, GOOD
OMENS will also receive a BBC broadcast in the UK..."

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/amazon-finally-brings-neil-gaiman-and-terry-pratchetts-good-omens-to-screen-237

...and likewise in numerous other places including the Hollywood
Reporter
(_http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/amazon-adapting-neil-gaimon-terry-pratchett-novel-good-omens-comedy-series-965892_),
comicbook.com
(_http://comicbook.com/2017/01/20/terry-pratchett-neil-gaiman-good-omens-amazon/_),
Geeks of Doom
(_http://www.geeksofdoom.com/2017/01/24/tv-series-gaiman-pratchett-good-omens_),
and many more.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

05) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS

5.1 PLAYS IN JANUARY AND FEBRUARY 2017

* MONSTROUS REGIMENT IN SOUTHAMPTON (JANUARY/FEBRUARY)

The Nuffield Southampton Theatre will present their production of
Monstrous Regiment starting at the end of this month!

When: 31st January–4th February 2017
Venue: NST (Nuffield Southampton Theatres), University Road, Southampton
SO17 1TR
Time: 7.30pm all shows
Tickets: £13 (concessions £10, under-16s £8, groups of 10 or more £10),
available from the Box Office (phone 023 8067 1771) or online at
https://www.nstheatres.co.uk/whats-on/monstrous-regiment/book

Note: there is a special 2-for-1 student offer on the Wednesday only.

https://www.nstheatres.co.uk/whats-on/monstrous-regiment

* TAMAHER IN CARDIFF (FEBRUARY)

Heading into their fifth year of staging Discworld plays, Monstrous
Productions' next offering is The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents:

"Rats! They disarm the traps, widdle in the flour and charge a very
reasonable price to leave town. That isn't how it's supposed to go of
course, but then these are no ordinary rats. They are the Changelings, a
group of rats who became smart after eating off a magical rubbish heap.
With the guidance of the streetwise alleycat Maurice, the Changelings
now run a very profitable business posing as a fake plague in
unsuspecting towns. All they needed was stupid-looking kid with a pipe
who leads them all out of town, for a fee…

"That is; until one last job in Bad Blintz, a starving town with a
serious rat problem. They soon realise that this town is not quite as it
seems and something darker is hiding underneath. Remember, there are bad
things in the Dark Wood... Monstrous Productions have been bringing
Terry Pratchett to the stage in Cardiff since 2012. After donating over
£20k to Alzheimer's Research UK, Maurice is a new project for them, with
all proceeds being donated to the Forget-me-not choir, a local choir for
people with dementia and their families. Join them for an evening of
storytelling, puppetry and live music."

When: 22nd–25th February 2017
Venue: The Gate Theatre, Keppoch Street, Roath, Cardiff CF24 3JW
Time: 7.30pm (2.30pm matinee on the 25th)
Tickets: £7 (£5 concession), available from
http://monstrousproductions.fikket.com/

http://monstrousptc.com/

* MORT IN OREGON (FEBRUARY)

The Majestic Theatre in Corvallis, Oregon, USA will be staging their
production of Mort in February.

"DEATH is always right behind us. But if he were in front of us, and
this were the fantastical Discworld invented by the late Sir Terry
Pratchett, Death would also be a seven-foot skeleton with a black robe
and a scythe. And when Death is in front of young Mort, he also has an
offer of an apprenticeship. In this hilarious overview of life, love,
and death (not in that order), Mort finds himself living in Death's
abode, but when he finally gets a chance to do the job, his mistakes
cause reality to be sliced in half, with a beautiful princess somewhere
between life and death and not very happy about it. Surrounded by
panicked wizards, arrogant royalty, goofy drunks, and short-order chefs,
Mort and Death must confront their own fears in order to restore order,
and figure out who lives, and who's fired!"

When: 10th, 11th, 12th, 16th, 17th, 18th and 19th February 2017
(performances on the 12th and 19th are matinees)
Venue: Main stage, The Majestic Theatre, 115 SW 2nd Street, Corvallis,
OR 97333
Time: 10th, 11th, 16th, 17th and 18th February at 7:30pm; 12th and 19th
February at 2:30pm
Tickets: $16 (students and "seniors" $14), available online at
https://app.arts-people.com/index.php?actions=13&p=1 or from the Box
Office (phone 541-738-7469).
Box Office Hours: 12:00pm – 5:00pm, Wednesday – Friday during periods of
active production. The Box Office is also open 75 minutes before all
performances.
Please note that there will be no late seating.

http://www.majestic.org/

5.2 PLAYS IN MARCH 2017

* CARPE JUGULUM IN NOTTINGHAM (MARCH)

The Lace Market Youth Theatre present Carpe Jugulum, "a pastiche of
vampire literature playing with mythic archetypes and featuring a tongue
in cheek reversal of 'vampyre' subculture with young vampires who wear
bright clothes, drink wine and stay up till noon", in March.

When: 22nd–25th March 2017
Venue: The Lace Market Theatre, Halifax Place, Nottingham NG1 1QN
Time: 7.30pm all evening shows; 2.30pm Saturday 25th matinee
Tickets: £11 (£10 concessions), available online at
http://bit.ly/2dIKhod or by phoning 0115 950 7201

https://lacemarkettheatre.co.uk/LaceMarketTheatre.dll/WhatsOn

* WYRD SISTERS IN BOLTON, LANCS (MARCH)

Bolton Little Theatre, "a vibrant amateur theatre company run by
members" since 1931, will be staging their production of Wyrd Sisters in
March.

When: 6th–11th March 2017
Venue: Bolton Little Theatre, Hanover Street, Bolton BL1 4TG
Time: 7.30pm
Tickets: £10 (Monday night 3 for 2 special), available at
https://www.ticketsource.co.uk/boltonlittletheatre or
https://www.ticketsource.co.uk/event/EFILHL – group bookings of 10+ (£9)
should be booked through the Box Office. "You can book at Bolton Little
Theatre box office in person or by telephone on Monday night from 7.30
to 9pm and Friday mornings from 10.30 to 12 noon – no extra charge if
paying by cash or cheque and you can book during the run of the plays or
you can book online at boltonlittletheatre.ticketsource.co.uk ...credit
card charges will apply. Tickets can be e-tickets (no charge) mobile
phone ticket (50p) standard post (£1.50)."

http://www.boltonlittletheatre.co.uk/terry-pratchetts-wyrd-sisters/

5.3 PLAYS LATER IN 2017

* MASKERADE IN BERKSHIRE (MAY)

The Newbury Dramatic Society will stage their production of Maskerade,
directed by John Hicks (possibly with the help of a skull ring?), in
May: "In the Ankh Morpork Opera House, a strangely familiar evil
mastermind in a mask and evening dress is lurking in the shadows. He
lures innocent young sopranos to their destiny, commits occasional
murder, and sends little notes full of maniacal laughter and exclamation
marks. Opera can do that to a man. But Granny Weatherwax, the
Discworld's most famous witch, is in the audience and she doesn't hold
with that sort of thing... and the show must go on!"

When: 17th–20th May 2017
Venue: Watermill Theatre, Bagnor, Newbury, Berkshire RG20 8AE
Time: 7.30pm Wednesday to Friday, 6.30pm Saturday
Tickets: £12.50 (£12 concessions), available online at
https://www.watermill.org.uk/maskerade#dates-ttab or ring the Box Office
on 01635 46044

https://www.watermill.org.uk/maskerade

* LORDS AND LADIES IN BRISBANE (SEPTEMBER–OCTOBER)

Brisbane Arts Theatre will be presenting their next Discworld play,
Lords and Ladies – adapted by Irana brown – next September!

"Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg – the witches of Lancre – are the
Discworld's only hope of rescue when elves threaten to take control with
their hypnotic 'glamour'. Standing stones, wizards, Morris men, rude
mechanicals, country lore and ancient magic all combine in this
adaptation of one of Sir Terry's finest. With a full supporting cast of
dwarves, wizards, trolls and one orangutan, the hilarious Lords and
Ladies delivers an abundance of hey-nonny-nonny and blood all over the
place."

When: 16th September – 21st October 2017
Venue: Brisbane Arts Theatre, 210 Petrie Terrace, Brisbane, QLD 4000
Time: 7.30pm Thursdays, 8.00pm Fridays & Saturdays, 6.30pm Sundays
Tickets: Adults $34, Concession $28, Group 10+ $27, Student Rush $15 (10
mins before curtain), available online at
http://sa2.seatadvisor.com/sabo/servlets/TicketRequest?&presenter=AUBAT&event=LANDL

"Subscribers can redeem season tickets for this show. There are no
refunds or exchanges once tickets have been purchased."

http://www.artstheatre.com.au/show/lordsandladies

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

06) DISCWORLD MEETING GROUPS NEWS: UPDATES AND REMINDERS

The Broken Drummers, "London's Premier Unofficially Official Discworld
Group" (motto "Nil percussio est"), meets next on Monday 30th November
1999 (according to their website this week) or more likely on Monday 6th
February 2017 at the Monkey Puzzle, 30 Southwick Street, London, W2 1JQ.

For more information, go to http://brokendrummers.org/ or email
BrokenDrummers at gmail.com or nicholls.helen at yahoo.co.uk

*

Canberra, Australia's Discworld fan group is Drumknott's Irregulars:
"The group is open to all, people from interstate and overseas are
welcome, and our events will not be heavily themed. Come along to dinner
for a chat and good company. We welcome people from all fandoms (and
none) and we would love to see you at one of our events, even if you're
just passing through. Please contact us via Facebook
(_https://www.facebook.com/groups/824987924250161/_) or Google Groups
(_https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/drumknotts-irregulars_) or
join us at our next event."

*

For Facebook users in Fourecks: The Victorian Discworld Klatch is "a
social group for fans of Discworld and Terry Pratchett... run by a
dedicated team who meet monthly and organise events monthly." "If you'd
like to join our events please ask to join the Klatch."

https://www.facebook.com/groups/VictorianDiscworldKlatch

*

"The Gathering of the Loonies (Wincanton chapter)" is a public Facebook
meeting group: "This group, by request of Jo in Bear will continue to be
used for future unofficial (not run by the Emporium) fan Gatherings in
Wincanton. Look here for information." [Editor's note: this is an active
group. If you use Facebook, it may be worth joining!]

https://www.facebook.com/groups/373578522834654/

*

The Pratchett Partisans are a fan group who meet monthly at either
Brisbane or Indooroopilly to "eat, drink and chat about all things
Pratchett. We hold events such as Discworld dinners, games afternoons,
Discworld photo scavenger hunts. We also attend opening night at
Brisbane Arts Theatre's Discworld plays." The Partisans currently have
about 200 members who meet at least twice a month, usually in Brisbane.

For more info about their next meetup, join up at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/pratchettpartisans/ or contact Ula
directly at uwilmott at yahoo.com.au

*

The City of Small Gods is a group for fans in Adelaide and South
Australia: "We have an established Terry Pratchett & Discworld fan group
in Adelaide called The City of Small Gods, which is open to anyone who
would like to come – you don't have to live in Adelaide or even South
Australia, or even be a Discworld fan, but that's mostly where our
events will be held, and we do like discussing Pratchett's works. Our
(semi-) regular meetings are generally held on the last Thursday of the
month at a pub or restaurant in Adelaide. We have dinner at 6.30pm
followed by games until 9pm. The games are usually shorter games like
Pairs, Sushi Go, or Tiny Epic Defenders, with the occasional Werewolf
session, as these are the best sort of games that work in a pub setting.
Every few months, we have a full day's worth of board games at La Scala
Cafe, 169 Unley Rd, Unley in the function room starting at 10am. In
addition, we will occasionally have other events to go and see plays by
Unseen Theatre Company, book discussions, craft, chain maille or
costuming workshops or other fun social activities."

The next CoSG event will be the Monthly Dinner and Games at the
Caledonian Hotel on 23rd February. For more info, go to
www.cityofsmallgods.org.au

*

The Broken Vectis Drummers meet next on Thursday 2nd February 2017
(probably) from 7.30pm at The Castle pub in Newport, Isle of Wight. For
more info and any queries, contact broken_vectis_drummers at yahoo.co.uk

*

The Wincanton Omnian Temperance Society (WOTS) next meets on Friday 3rd
February 2017 (probably) at Wincanton's famous Bear Inn from 7pm
onwards. "Visitors and drop-ins are always welcome!"

*

The Northern Institute of the Ankh-Morpork and District Society of
Flatalists, a Pratchett fangroup, has been meeting on a regular basis
since 2005. The Flatalists normally meet at The Narrowboat Pub in
Victoria Street, Skipton, North Yorkshire, to discuss "all things
Pratchett" as well as having quizzes and raffles. Details of future
meetings are posted on the Events section of the Discworld Stamps forum:

http://www.discworldstamps.co.uk/forum/

*

Sydney Drummers (formerly Drummers Downunder) meet next on Monday 6th
February 2017 at 6.30pm in Sydney at 3 Wise Monkeys, 555 George Street,
Sydney,2000. For more information, contact Sue (aka Granny Weatherwax):
kenworthys at yahoo.co.uk

*

The Treacle Mining Corporation, formerly known as Perth Drummers, meets
next on Monday 6th February 2017 (probably) from 5.30pm at Carpe Cafe,
526 Murray Street, Perth, Western Australia. For details follow Perth
Drummers on Twitter @Perth_Drummers or join their Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Perth.Drummers/ – or message Alexandra
Ware directly at <alexandra.ware at gmail.com>

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

07) DISCWORLD ARTS AND CRAFTS NEWS

7.1 DISCWORLD EMPORIUM UPDATES

"We're back in business! The Discworld Emporium has re-opened after our
festive break and shipping has now resumed, so if you placed an order
over the holidays your Discworld goodies will be with you very soon. For
our opening times and how to find us please check our VISIT US guide."

https://www.discworldemporium.com/content/7-visit-us

"Lots of Discworld bits and bobs sold out in the run up to Hogswatch, so
we're working hard to replenish stock as soon as we can. If there's an
item you've been lusting after, head to the product's page on our
website where you can sign up for a restock alert, and we'll send you an
email as soon as the item is added back on our site."

Some choice bits:

* Create Your Own Discworld Adventure roleplaying game!

"Will you battle Barbarians in the frozen wastes of the Hubland Steppes?
Will you visit with Vetinari, meet a sticky end in the Shades or
penetrate the Seamstresses' Guild? Gather with friends and fellow fans
for an immersive escapade around Discworld from the safety of your own
home with the Discworld Roleplaying Game!

"Brought to you by Steve Jackson (of Munchkin fame), this is a complete
roleplaying game book containing full rules for GURPS (Generic Universal
Roleplaying System) along with a wealth of hilarious reference material
from the Discworld canon. Containing 408 pages written by Terry
Pratchett and Phil Masters with illustrations by Paul Kidby and Sean
Murray, this hefty tome is for seasoned roleplayers, but can also
enjoyed as an introductory roadmap through Discworld!"

Each Discworld Roleplaying Game set is priced at £33, but note the
following (very) recent announcement:

"BUGGRIT! IT'S A SELL OUT! WE'RE DOING OUR BEST TO ACQUIRE MORE STOCK
ASAP. FEEL FREE TO SET A RESTOCK NOTIFICATION ON THIS PAGE TO KEEP UPDATED."

For more information, and to order (eventually), go to
https://www.discworldemporium.com/home/348-discworld-roleplaying-game

* The Hat!

"Official sterling silver 'hat' pin featuring Terry Pratchett's iconic
accessory -the legendary millinery of a literary mastermind! Terry
Pratchett's famous black hat has been beautifully recreated in miniature
by Birmingham's finest jewellers, and finished with a sleek dark patina.
This symbolic badge of brilliance can be proudly worn on a lapel, scarf,
or your own marvellous millinery to display your authorial affiliation!
If you look closely, you'll notice that each pin is carefully and
minutely inscribed on the back with Terry's motto 'Mind how you go'."

Each Terry Pratchett's Hat silver pin badge is priced at £28.50,
measures approximately 12 x 10mm, includes a silver locking fastener and
is presented in a Discworld Emporium gift box. For more information, and
to order, go to
https://www.discworldemporium.com/jewellery/337-terry-pratchett-s-hat-silver-pin-badge

* The Discworld Gift Voucher!

"Indulge your fellow Discworld fans with a Discworld Emporium Gift
Voucher! Nothing says 'I love you' like a thoughtful, personal gift.
Failing that, give them a voucher so they can get themselves what they
really want!

"Our vouchers allow you to choose a design and amount, and whether to
print at home to present in person, or send directly to the recipient
via email. Email vouchers can also be programmed to send on a specific
date – never miss a birthday, Hogswatch or wedding gift again!

"Please Note: Vouchers can be spent in our online store only and are
valid for 12 months. At this time, vouchers are not valid for use on
postage or delivery costs, recipients will be required to pay for
postage at checkout. The recipient may need to check their junk folder
if their voucher doesn't turn up when expected."

There is a choice of four Gift Voucher designs (Mr. Fusspot, Royal Bank
of Ankh-Morpork, Great A'Tuin or Happy Hogswatch). Once you have
nominated your chosen design, you can specify the amount of the voucher
and the method of delivery (print at home or send by e-mail).

For more information, and to order, go to
https://www.discworldemporium.com/module/giftcard/choicegiftcard

* The Ankh-Morpork Passport!

"Issued exclusively by The Ankh-Morpork Consulate here at the Discworld
Emporium in Wincanton, each passport is individually numbered by
letterpress and pre-endorsed ready for you to fill in as imaginatively
as you wish. Contains vital information on prohibited goods, currency
and work permits along with immigration stamps from around the Disc
along with space for stamps should you visit the Discworld Emporium in
person, or any other place that is silly enough to stamp your passport."

Each Discworld Passport measures 100 x 140mm and is priced at £10. For
more information, and to order, go to
https://www.discworldemporium.com/diplomas-documents/209-ankh-morpork-passport

* New stamps!

"Introducing the New Definitive issues from the Ankh-Morpork Post
Office. Six iconic issues from the Ankh-Morpork Post Office as designed
by Moist Von Lipwig himself ...and the famous Cabbage Field 50p!
Traditionally printed on authentic gummed stamp paper, the definitive
issues make their debut in the first Little Brown Envelope
(_https://www.discworldemporium.com/42-little-brown-envelopes_) of the
year, The Definitive Artichoke LBE, available NOW!"

https://www.discworldemporium.com/42-little-brown-envelopes

To view the lot, and much more, go to www.discworldemporium.com

7.2 DISCWORLD.COM UPDATES

For the Discworld fan with deeper pockets...

* The Unseen University hoodies!

Unseen University Crest (£25 – £28):

"This grey marl hoodie features the crest and motto of Ankh-Morpork's
Unseen University. 'Can't have a bunch of grocers and butchers telling a
university how to run itself, Stibbons!' Ridcully said firmly. 'Thank
them for their interest and tell them we'll continue to take one hundred
per cent of complete and utter dullards, as usual. Take 'em in dull,
turn 'em out sparklin', that's always been the UU way!'

"This is a classic hoodie. Please ensure chest size is correct when
ordering. For this design we use AWDis Hoodies which are 280gsm in
weight. They have a double-fabric hood with self-coloured draw cord,
front pouch pocket, ribbed hem & cuffs and set in sleeves. Twin needle
stitching detail to armholes, hems & cuffs. 80% cotton / 20% polyester."

Available sizes go from Small (36″ chest) to 5XL (62″/64″ chest).

http://discworld.com/products/bags-clothing/unseen-university-crest-hoodie/

Unseen University hoodie (£28):

"Unseen University is the premiere school of wizardry in Ankh-Morpork,
founded in the year 1282 AM (1 UC) by Alberto Malich the Wise. Located
in the city of Ankh-Morpork, the UU is staffed by a faculty of
fascinating characters, and you can show your allegiance now with this
classic hoodie."

http://discworld.com/products/bags-clothing/1987/

Bugarup University hoodie (£28):

"These hoodies come straight from the premiere seats of learning on
Discworld. Wear yours with pride."

http://discworld.com/products/bags-clothing/bugarup-university-hooded-top-white-royal-blue/

There are a number of other hoodie designs available, including Anthill
Inside, Death with Kitten and Feegles Running. To view them all, go to
http://discworld.com/products/hoodies/

* The Unseen University scarf!

"100% saxony wool – these scarves measure 10″ x 72″ and are striped in
navy, crimson, yellow and purple. The UU crest is embroidered in colour
at one end. Made in the UK by the leading Oxbridge scarf maker."

Each UU scarf is priced at £45. For more information, and to order, go
to http://discworld.com/products/scarves/

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

08) DISCWORLD CONVENTION NEWS

8.1 AUSDWCON 2017 UPDATES

Nullus Anxietas VI – The Discworld Grand Tour – will be held at the
Lakes Resort Hotel, West Lakes, Adelaide, South Australia on 4th-6th
August 2017.

"Lock-in your early-bird ticket price by buying a Supporting Membership
before Feb 4th! https://ausdwcon.org/shop/product/supporting-membership/ …"

https://ausdwcon.org/shop/tickets/

8.2 IDWCON 2017 UPDATES

"Welcome to the IDWCon 2017 website! Please see our About the
Convention, F.A.Q., and Venue pages to find out more. We've sold out of
Memberships, but we have a waiting list instead. Our theme this year is
the Unseen University Open Doors Weekend – we'll be visiting the U.U. to
marvel at introductory lectures, research the groundbreaking Roundworld
project, and find out more about the staff and Faculty. Whether you're a
visiting scholar, a curious local or even a Tourist, the U.U.'s doors
will be open to all for this extra-special event. Hold on to your pointy
hats – it's going to be Hexcellent!"

Convention Guests of Honour will be Colin Smythe, Bernard "Cunning
Artificer" Pearson, Isobel Pearson, Jack Cohen, Pat Harkin, Stephen
Briggs and Rob Wilkins. All 300 memberships for the convention, which
will be held from 6th–9th October 2017 at the Cork International Hotel,
are already sold out, but there is a waiting list to cover possible
cancellations:

http://2017.idwcon.org/index.php/waitinglist/

As always, the Irish Discworld Convention's website is simply gorgeous.
Go look!

http://2017.idwcon.org/

8.3 NADWCON UPDATES

"Thinking about helping out? This convention is entirely run by
volunteers and we're always looking for willing victims to become part
of the convention committee or suggest program items. Please contact us
with suggestions and/or what you would like to help with. To find out
more about the convention please see our About NADWCon
(_https://nadwcon2017.org/about.html_) and F.A.Q.
(_https://nadwcon2017.org/f-a-q_) pages."

The 2017 North American Discworld Convention will be held on 1st–4th
September at the Sheraton New Orleans Hotel, 500 Canal Street, New
Orleans, LA. 70130 (phone: 504 525-2500). This year's theme is Witches
Abroad. Membership for the entire convention is $88. To buy a
membership, go to https://nadwcon2017.org/signup.html

https://nadwcon2017.org/

8.4 CABBAGECON UPDATES

"On 1 and 2 July 2017 the fourth Dutch Discworld Convention Cabbagecon 4
will happen at the hotel Carlton President in Utrecht. It will be an
occasion for fans of Sir Terry Pratchett from the Netherlands and abroad
to meet up again and have some fun. We hope to see you too!"

Membership of Cabbagecon 4 for the whole weekend is €60,00. One-day
membership for either the Saturday or the Sunday is €35,00
per day.

http://www.dutchdwcon.nl/

8.5 SCHEIBENWELT UPDATES

"The German Discworld Convention will take place from the 18th to the
21st of May 2017 at Castle Ludwigstein. The theme we have chosen this
time is the Witches and the Chalk. Our motto will be: Witchcraft &
Feegle Spook."

Full price for the full four days of Convention, featuring guest Bernard
Pearson (and the possible appearance of Rob Wilkins and Stephen Briggs),
is €149 which includes accommodation in a bed in a shared room in the
hostel of the castle, warm dinner and breakfast buffet, or €110 for
Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Full price for camping guests (includes
entry to the Convention including a place to put your own tent next to
the castle, warm dinner and breakfast buffet) is €99 for the four days
or €79 for Friday through Sunday. For day visitors (only entry to the
Convention and no food or accommodation), prices are €20 for either
Friday or Saturday, or €35 for both days:

http://www.discworld-convention.de/#/en/Tickets/Prices

To order tickets: http://www.discworld-convention.de/#/en/Tickets/Order

http://www.discworld-convention.de/#/en/

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

09) AROUND THE BLOGOSPHERE

Blogger Nat Wassell, on Cultured Vultures, considers A Hat Full of Sky:

"Reading this book, I couldn't help but wonder if Sir Terry ever looked
back at some of his earlier Discworld novels and thought about the
occasional slips in clarity, especially from the first three books, and
what he could have done about them if he had the chance. Maybe it was
nothing and that's fine; we all write on a learning curve, of course,
but it is interesting to consider... The Hiver isn't a bad creature,
just as Tiffany isn't a bad person, but it shows that everyone has the
potential for bad. Granny Weatherwax has never been easier to understand
than she is by the end of this novel, in which she barely features.

"I also have to mention the Nac Mac Feegles again here. They're still
tiny and angry and drunk, but they are also growing into characters
worthy of the consideration given any other main player in the
Discworld. We get to spend time with Jeannie, the new kelda of the clan
and wife of Rob Anybody, the rambunctious but well-meaning Big Man.
Jeannie is a modern and forward thinking young woman; not content with
being the only Feegle able to read and write, she insists that Rob and
the rest of the men learn... I also want to talk briefly about Rob in
his own right. He's willing to do anything for Jeannie, even learning
the letters that scare him so much, but he does not forget what he and
the others owe to Tiffany..."

https://culturedvultures.com/discworld-discussions-hat-full-sky-2004/

Blogger Vacuous Wastrel is back with a review of Wintersmith that's so
at war with itself that it might just be Alternative Truth:

"Let's try to list all the things I didn't like about this book. It
still has too many Feegles in it... Because Tiffany is still young and
inexperienced, a lot of things have to be explained to her. A lot.
Pratchett is pretty fond of Explaining Stuff at the best of times, but
here it feels at times like she's just wandering from one font of
explanation to another... there's the gender politics. Which actually
manages to irritate me from both directions... it feels as though
Pratchett is laughing at [Tiffany], and at other women through her, and
it isn’t pleasant... And there's a subplot that isn’t really necessary,
but isn't fleshed out enough to stand by itself either. And the
ending... well it makes sense, but it seems to all happen a bit too
quickly. And the structural gimmick, while a break from Pratchett's
normal linear methods, and while not exactly a failure, also don't fully
convince. And 'boffo' is a stupid word... But all that aside, this is a
fantastic book. Wintersmith is clearly the best of the first three
Tiffany books, and while it may not have the depth to really rank with
Pratchett's greatest it certainly deserves to be mentioned in the same
breath as them. The writing is consistently fantastic; the imagery
constantly intriguing. It is highly polished, yet retains its character..."

[Um... er... okay... so he liked it? – Ed.]

https://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/2017/01/25/wintersmith-by-terry-pratchett/

Blogger The Idle Woman celebrates Guards! Guards!:

"This is a really lovely instalment in the series. Unlike the 'concept'
novels, it never feels restricted by its subject, instead merrily
subverting cherished fantasy cliches: the dragon; the eldritch secret
society; the king returning to save his people in their hour of need…
And its real strength is in the characters. Though this is very much a
comedy, there's a real poignancy to the men of the Night Watch,
especially Vimes, with a grim life of wasted potential behind him and
only a flicker of hope left. Yet, although Carrot is the physical model
of a hero, it's Vimes whose grit, determination and sheer
bloody-mindedness will come to the fore as his troop seeks to defeat the
dragon, save the noble damsel and restore peace to the city, etc. A
smart, rip-roaring adventure, this is one to savour, with nods to Dirty
Harry and Casablanca, along no doubt with many other references I
missed. It also introduces the concept of L-space, which will be
immediately familiar to anyone who, like me, has spent long hours in
second-hand bookshops. A measure of its popularity is that, like Wyrd
Sisters, it has been adapted for the stage, and you can also enjoy
exploring the Watch's territory for yourself on an Ankh-Morpork map..."

https://theidlewoman.net/2017/01/24/guards-guards/

...and also highly recommends Pyramids:

"Pyramids is one of my favourite books in the Discworld series and I've
read it far more frequently than most of the others I'll be encountering
in this reread. It doesn't feature any of the usual recurring
characters, but it has such a wonderful concept, riffing on Ancient
Egypt, the Trojan Horse, Zeno's theory about Achilles and the tortoise,
the Crossing of the Red Sea, and tales of mummies rising from the dead.
Plus, I love the glimpse we have of the Assassins' Guild, which is
basically Eton or Harrow with added caltrops and the kind of final exam
which makes a PhD viva sound like a piece of cake. And Teppic is a
marvellous protagonist, terribly well-meaning and polite, but at the
same time rather subversive with a dash of embarrassed heroism thrown
in. Theoretically you could read any of the Discworld books as a
standalone novel, but this one works better than most. If you're looking
for a way to dip in your toe, this might be a good one to try..."

https://theidlewoman.net/2017/01/22/pyramids-terry-pratchett/https://ausdwcon.org/shop/tickets/

Blogger Emily Witt also reviews Pyramids:

"Given the nature of satire, this isn't really the sort of book I'm used
to reading – the YA ones where I can get completely unhealthily invested
in the characters, but the characters were all well-developed in a way
that furthered the points that Pratchett was making about religion and
sticking to tradition in the face of every suggestion to get with the
times. I laughed at Teppic's awkwardness regarding Dio's inability to
let him actually do any ruling, and I sympathised with the dead former
King, who was unable to move on and had to watch all his wishes being
decidedly not carried out. Some of the quantum stuff got a bit
confusing, as there would be several versions of the same character, all
from slightly different time periods, in the same room at the same time.
For the most part, though, I was able to keep these straight. Time
travel-type stuff always runs the risk of getting confusing, but I think
Sir Terry managed to strike the right balance..."

http://bit.ly/2jfNsqI

Blogger Amelia Mackenzie tackles the daunting task of introducing
newbies to Discworld:

"I love the characters that start out like cliches but grow into so much
more, I love Pratchett's philosophy about human kindness and belief and
the wonders of imagination, and I love the fact that all of this is
packed into dozens of books that make me giggle from one cover to the
other. But when I recommend Discworld to people, they tend to view them
the same way people view comics. By which I mean, they look at the sheer
number of them and panic. How the hell am I meant to read all those?
Where do I even START?

"The nice thing about the Discworld books is that, technically, you can
start them anywhere. The books run chronologically, and certain groups
of characters pop up repeatedly (there are the Guards Books and the
Death Books and the Witches Books), but it doesn't matter which book you
actually start on, because they all explain themselves fully. I started
on Hogfather, the 22nd book in the Discworld series and the fourth in
the Death Books series. This, however, tends to terrify people even
more, because now they really, really don't know where to start. So
here's my informal, quick guide on some of the best books to start with,
and why..."

https://ameliamackenzie.wordpress.com/2017/01/23/where-to-start-with-discworld/

Blogger Drinking and Ink's thoughts on Hogfather:

"There's humor, much of it contained in footnotes, and puns. There's
action and excitement, there's an orangutan playing the organ, there's a
computer of sorts, there are wizards, there are children and some true
observations about childhood, and loads of holiday spirit. There's a lot
of fairly deep stuff about the importance of stories and fantasy and how
myths and legends evolve. There’s also a skeleton in a Santa Claus
outfit, who somehow manages to be completely different from the one in
The Nightmare Before Christmas except perhaps with a shared difficulty
in delivering a convincing 'ho ho ho.' There's also, for you fans of
strong female characters, a very interesting lead in Susan Sto Helit,
Death's granddaughter. Susan is currently a governess trying to be more
or less normal. She is self-possessed, educated, clever, and not a
natural at this whole 'normal' thing. She's the closest thing to a
grown-up in most scenes: as is noted at one point, if other characters
are listening to their inner child, she is the inner babysitter. She
also shares certain talents with her grandfather... Listen. It's just –
it's good. It's really good. You should read Terry Pratchett. And you
should definitely read this one."

[Editor's note: the suggested drink here to accompany Hogfather is
sherry, or a mug of cocoa...]

http://bit.ly/2jznKMq

Blogger Aaron Jacobs shares thoughts on death and dying and a very
special essay by Sir Pterry:

"When Terry Pratchett realized he wouldn't be able to attend the 2014
Discworld Con due to his health problems, he compiled a small book as a
gift for the attendees. It contains some fragmented stories, poetry, a
dedication, stuff that is private and only for the eyes of the devotees
who came to see him. You won't find these books on sale anywhere, I
hope. He had them distributed freely to the convention-goers under the
condition no one try to sell them. They're individually numbered and the
convention heads keep a master list of who each one belongs to, so if
anyone does decide to go for a quick buck with their book it'll be
readily apparently[sic]. He also included this essay. My friend typed it
up for me and gave me permission to share it with the context and
background story. It's an incredibly important essay and something I
think about during dark times when people you care about seem to be
dying with rapidity. I read it what felt like weekly when Bowie, Rickman
and others died early this year. I read it the day Leonard Nimoy passed.
I read it when Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds died on nearly the same
day. It’s about how things aren’t all terrible. It goes like this..."

https://aaronjacobsblog.wordpress.com/2016/12/31/on-death-and-living/

A blog review of the Discworld MUD, by Clay:

"I have been playing this single MUD off and on since 1998, back when I
was in high school. I have tried numerous other MUDs, including some of
the bigger ones like Aardwolf, Genesis, and the IRE Family of MUDs and
no matter what, I always end up coming back to the Disc. Why you might
ask? Well for a variety of reasons. Let's break down what makes the
Discworld MUD unique, and why I think anyone who is looking for
something fun and different should give this world a try.."

https://pageturnersinc.wordpress.com/2017/01/10/the-discworld-mud-a-review/

...and of Discworld Noir, by Sonea:

"The game is set in a fictional universe known as Discworld, referencing
some places like Ankh-Morph[sic] from Sir Terry Pratchett's novels
(which are beyond some very fantastical imagination), but do not rely on
the characters and you do not need to read them in order to understand
the story of this game. Lewton is a private investigator who is on a
murder case which sets him off on a long trail across  different towns
in the city. Along his way, he meets a lot of eccentric characters that
he speaks to and some that require a more brutish tone to get some
answers, after all everyone is a suspect. For a game from an older
generation, it was one of my childhood gaming experience and one I grew
to love in my adult life... I love the idea of being able to interact
with any characters in the game as many times as you want, listening
closely to their conversation and taking notes which you use for clues
for the next lead in your investigation. It's also reassuring that you
won't get to a 'game over' point at anytime as it's a game of wit and
relies on a structural narrative, allowing the player to use clues to
figure out where to go next and who to talk to now. The whole tone,
dialogue and graphics are similar to the feel of stepping into a classic
noir movie, with the jazz music in cafes and the darkly dim shadowed
places that you'd find in a crime scene..."

https://soneawritesblog.wordpress.com/2017/01/13/discworld-noir/

...and finally, a lovely blogpost from Gareth Preston, who will be
directing the Bolton Little Theatre's production of Wyrd Sisters this
March, on how he first came to stage a Pratchett play:

"I had become involved with amateur dramatics, and I loved Stephen
Briggs' adaptations and the idea of realising them on stage. So in time
I persuaded my then current group of Mawdesley Amateur Dramatics to
stage Wyrd Sisters. The photo at the top of the page is from that
production. Like many groups, a majority of MADS were women, so it was
an advantage to have a play with four really good female roles, not to
mention a fair amount of characters who could be played by either
gender. That 2007 production was my first experience of directing
theatre. It helped that we were already a group of friends, so that made
it less intimidating that it could have been. We played it on a smallish
village hall stage, with much less in the way of facilities at the time
than Bolton Little Theatre has. For example the sound system consisted
of my laptop computer and a guitar amp at the rear of the hall. I should
add that the current hall has had something of an upgrade since. However
the show was a success, and I think the local audience enjoyed the fact
that we were trying something a bit different from the traditional
amateur dramatic fare. Now ten years later I am about to direct a new
production in a fully equipped theatre with a specially designed set and
a cast that is an interesting mix of experienced Bolton regulars and
newer faces, some for whom this will be one of their first plays..."

http://bit.ly/2jznNrx

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

10)  IMAGES OF THE MONTH

A photograph of The Author at work... or is it? Muhahaha:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/nintchdbpict0002951728311.jpg

...and another, from the filming at the Bucks Free Press for "Terry
Pratchett: Back in Black":
http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/resources/images/5930794

The witches of NADWCON!:
https://nadwcon2017.org/media/wysiwyg/Composite_Witch_bees_1.png

The AusDWcon Grand Tour logo:
http://bit.ly/2jHfEiF

Cabbagecon's adorable logo, featuring the Latatian motto "Sit brassica
non movet ab testudo, testudo movet ab brassica":
http://www.dutchdwcon.nl/sites/all/themes/cabbagecon/logo.png

Iconographs from the Midhurst Players' production of Wyrd Sisters last
month. The cauldron scene:
http://www.midhurstplayers.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Clip_15-920x400.jpg

The Rite of Ashk-Ente:
http://www.midhurstplayers.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Clip_26-600x400.jpg

Nanny in the dungeon:
http://www.midhurstplayers.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/DSC_5449-591x400.jpg

A chin-wag at Lancre Castle:
http://www.midhurstplayers.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Copy-of-DSC_5507-533x400.jpg

Theatrical witches:
http://www.midhurstplayers.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Clip_11-600x400.jpg

11) CLOSE

And that's the lot for January. Keep calm and carry on, and we'll see
you next month!

– Annie Mac

The mirror version of this issue can be viewed at
http://wossname.dreamwidth.org/45029.html

The End. If you have any questions or requests, write: wossname-owner
(at) pearwood (dot) info