Wossname -- July 2017 -- main issue

News and reviews about the works of Sir Terry Pratchett wossname at pearwood.info
Sat Jul 22 21:31:26 AEST 2017

Wossname
July 2017 (Volume 20, Issue 7, Post 1)

WOSSNAME is a free publication offering news, reviews, and all the other
stuff-that-fits pertaining to the works of Sir Terry Pratchett.
Originally founded by the late, great Joe Schaumburger for members of
the worldwide Klatchian Foreign Legion and its affiliates, including the
North American Discworld Society and other continental groups, Wossname
is now for Discworld and Pratchett fans everywhere in Roundworld.

Editor in Chief: Annie Mac
News Editor: Vera P
Newshounds: Mogg, Sir J of Croydon Below, the Shadow, Mss C, Alison not
Aliss
Staff Writers: Asti, Pitt the Elder, Evil Steven Dread, Mrs Wynn-Jones
Staff Technomancers: Jason Parlevliet, Archchancellor Neil, DJ Helpful
Book Reviews: Annie Mac, Drusilla D'Afanguin, Your Name Here
Puzzle Editor: Tiff (still out there somewhere)
Emergency Staff: Steven D'Aprano, Jason Parlevliet
World Membership Director: Steven D'Aprano (in his copious spare time)

01) QUOTES OF THE MONTH
02) EDITOR'S LETTER
03) ODDS AND SODS
04) DISCWORLD CONVENTION NEWS
05) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS
06) DISCWORLD MEETING GROUPS NEWS
07) AROUND THE BLOGOSPHERE
08) DISCWORLD ARTS AND CRAFTS NEWS
09) IMAGES OF THE MONTH
10) CLOSE

01) QUOTES OF THE MONTH

"It's going to be a Happy Hogswatch! A new collection of 10
never-published stories by Sir T for the young & not-so young."
– tweeted by @terryandrob on 11th July 2017

"…if your Mickey Mouse ears fall off, that nice Mr. Disney is not unduly
perturbed. If someone buys a Discworld t-shirt and the colours run in
the wash, I am the person who gets the email.”
– Terry Pratchett, Science Fiction Book Club interview 1996, as quoted
on the Discworld Emporium website

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

02) LETTER FROM YOUR EDITOR

A shortish issue this month (owing to your Editor being knocked over by
a case of bronchitis muscular enough to have come straight from the
eighteenth century disguised as consumption... remember, it's the depths
of winter down here in Fourecks), but not lacking in interesting
content. I'm going to press Send now and take to my bed with a supply of
leeches and lace hankies. On with the show...

– Annie Mac, Editor

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

03) ODDS AND SODS

3.1 NEW PRATCHETT STORIES COLLECTION

There's a new collection of fourteen "new" stories, to be published just
in time for Hogswatch! Well, actually well and truly ahead of Hogswatch.
Father Christmas's Fake Beard offers another collection of Pteenaged
Pterry's delightfully wonky children's stories, following on from
Dragons at Crumbling Castle and The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and once
again illustrated by Mark Beech. The release date is either the 17th of
August, or an unspecified date in October, depending on which social
media or commercial enterprise page you're reading... but at any rate,
it's coming out soon! See item 8.1 for more details!

3.2  REMINDER: "CAPTURE THE CASTLE" FEATURING PAUL KIDBY

The Southampton City Art Gallery's Capture the Castle exhibition,
currently running,  is meant to be "the first ever large-scale art
exhibition on the subject of British castles", but a certain
otherworldly castle – Unseen University's Tower of Art, by Paul Kidby –
is featured as well...

When: through to 2nd September 2017
Venue: Southampton City Art Gallery, Commercial Road, Southampton SO14
7LP – 5 minutes' walk from Southampton Central Station – phone: 023 8083
3007 (option 3)
Time: Monday to Friday: 10am-3pm, Saturday: 10am–5pm (closed on Sundays)
Tickets: free admission to all exhibitions

https://www.southamptoncityartgallery.com/whats-on/capture-the-castle/

3.3 ASK THEM ABOUT STAMPS!

Roundworld's legendary, iconic and (possibly in)famous Ankh-Morpork
Consulate – aka the Discworld Emporium – is, of course, the original
only source of official Discworld stamps. On their website, Bernard "the
Cunning Artificer" Pearson tells the history of Discworld stamps. Here
be some extracts, but do go read the entire piece (link below)!

"Discworld Stamps began in 2003 while Terry was writing Going Postal. As
part of his writing process, Terry's would revel in the opportunity to
indulge boyhood fascinations with his subjects in the name of research.
Being a stamp collector as a lad, philately was no exception and with
our assistance he fully acquainted himself with the history of the Post
Office and postage stamp manufacture in the Victorian era... The very
first stamps off the press were perforated by Terry at Bath Postal
Museum on a Victorian machine that we restored with the help of the
author himself and a set of shiny new perforating pins! Terry became a
patron of the museum and the Emporium consequently houses an array of
postal paraphernalia that brings Going Postal to life...

"Since their inception in the book, our range has grown to encompass an
ever-changing selection from post offices all over Discworld,
illustrating a myriad of Terry Pratchett's characters and creations with
contributions by guest artists including Paul Kidby, Joe McLaren, David
Wyatt and Peter Dennis. Some of our older designs even make a guest
appearance in Sky 1's television adaptation. We produce all manner of
postal ephemera, from single stamps and whole sheets, to commemorative
artefacts, lucky dip envelopes and first day covers. All our stamps are
traditionally printed by our very own Mr Spools on authentic gummed
stamp paper & perforated by hand. Like real stamps, designs come and go
but thanks to a thriving secondary market older issues can be tracked
down or traded on popular auction sites..."

https://www.discworldemporium.com/content/9-the-history-of-discworld-stamps

...and for a shufti at all the latest Discworld stamps, go to
https://www.discworldemporium.com/39-new-stamps

3.4 ALZHEIMER'S NEWS

A promising report:

"Abnormal deposits that build up in the brain during Alzheimer's have
been pictured in unprecedented detail by UK scientists. The team at the
MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology says its findings 'open up a whole
new era' in neurodegenerative disease. Their work should make it easier
to design drugs to stop brain cells dying. The researchers used brain
tissue from a 74-year-old woman who died after having Alzheimer's
disease. The form of dementia leads to tangles of a protein called tau
spreading throughout the brain. The more tau tangles there are, the
worse the symptoms tend to be. Doctors have known this has happened for
decades but what has been missing is a detailed understanding of what
the tangles look like. The team took advantage of the "resolution
revolution" in microscopy to take thousands of highly detailed images of
the tau inside the woman's brain tissues... this could be one of the
most important recent discoveries in tackling dementia. Attempts to
develop a drug to slow the pace of dementia have been met by repeated
failure. But it is hard to come up with a drug when you do not know the
precise chemical structure of what you are targeting.

"Dr Sjors Scheres, one of the researchers, told the BBC News website:
'It's like shooting in the dark – you can still hit something but you
are much more likely to hit if you know what the structure is. We are
excited – it opens up a whole new era in this field, it really does.'
The structure of tau, published in the journal Nature, is the first to
be determined in such detail. Fellow researcher Dr Michel Goedert told
the BBC: "This is a big step forward as far as tau goes but it is bigger
than that. This is the first time anybody has determined the
high-resolution structure [from human brain samples] for any of these
diseases. The next step is to use this information to study the
mechanisms of neurodegeneration.'..."

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-40493868

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

04) DISCWORLD CONVENTION NEWS

4.1 THE FIRST ANNUAL DISCWORLD DAY: A ONE-DAY EVENT IN SOUTH AFRICA

Looks like it will be as fun as a fun thing! "We invite you to discover
the streets of Ankh-Morpork, the greatest city of the Discworld. A
folklorique network of old lanes, squares and alleys for your walking
pleasure. Wherre exitement and trolls lurke arounde everry corner and
much may be heard the traditional street cries of old time also the
laughing visages of the denuizens as they goe about their business
private. All guilds are welcome, so if you fancy yourself as an
artificer, a seamstress, an assassin or a clown, you'll be sure to be in
good company along The Street of Cunning Artificers. Dogs and unruly
luggages to be kept on leashes at all times."

Features include the following (the original text – note spelling! – was
too adorable to abridge or summarise):

An Ankmorpork Adventure: Seek! Hustle! Build! Conjur! Enter as a single
person or with a team of wizzards, complete the tasks as laid out for
you by the Patrician.

Fabricati diem, pvnc: test your mettale and train with the City Watch,
they are recuiting!

The presence of beer always greases the rungs of the evolutionary ladder
so make sure your Inn-sewer-ants-polly-seas are up to date and join us
in The Mended Drum. Expect a test of wits, much revelry and many
barbarians.

The Discworld Dress Up will happen in Pseudopolis Yard. Embody your
favourite character and be victorious. Win Thynngs.

The great Wizards of the Unseen University invite you to engage in
battles of Cripple Mr Onion, Thud! and the likes. Can you beat the
brightest of the Discworld?

Burnt crunchy bits, dwarf bread, rat onna stick and other local
delicacies can be found between Harga's House of Ribs and the Curry
Gardens, so weary travellers and brave explorers will not have holes in
their tummies. Keep an eye out for Cut-me-own-Throat Dibbler.

The Muntab Moving Pictures House invites those of a sloth-ier
disposition to rest their weary rears upstairs in the Patrician's
Castle, munch on banged grains and be enveloped in the screenings of Sir
Terry Pratchett's visual fantastical-ness.

Garstairs Stables offers the usual range of equestrian services to the
sons and daughters of gentlefolk.

When: 4th November 2017
Venue: The Moors Castle, 638 Larsens Road, 1739 Muldersdrift, Gauteng,
South Africa
Time: 11.00 to 22.00
Tickets: R60.00. A limited number of tickets are available online
http://qkt.io/DiscworldDay2017 or at the gate at a price of R80.00.
Under-12s are free

https://www.facebook.com/events/320926284986740/

4.2 DWCON 2018 NEWS

Short but sweet:

"Membership sales are now open, but we are almost full! You will now be
sent an email if and when you can pay for your membership. Find out more
about membership prices and types..."

https://2018.dwcon.org/membership/
https://2018.dwcon.org/membership/overview

"An update (and gentle reminder) about hotel bookings for the Convention:

"Those of you who have booked your Memberships will naturally be
thinking about your accommodation. We will begin allocating rooms in the
Convention Hotel, Chesford Grange, and our partner hotel, Woodland
Grange soon. If you do want to stay in either of them, please make sure
you update your details on our website by Monday. You can also book
camping at the Convention Hotel."

https://2018.dwcon.org

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

05) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS

5.0 AUDITIONS

The Progress Theatre will be auditioning for the cast of their
forthcoming January 2018 production of Maskerade (see item 5.3 below).
The auditions will be held on Sunday 17th September at 2pm or Wednesday
20th September at 7.30pm at Progress Theatre, The Mount, Reading RG1
5HL. "Auditions are open to all,but if cast you will need to join
Progress Theatre.

"If you have any questions or would like to be considered but can't make
the audition dates please contact director Chris Moran on 07729 501350
or at chris.moran at me.com or assistant director Jordan Emmett on 07932
976693 or at jdemmett27 at hotmail.co.uk prior to the auditions."

http://progresstheatre.co.uk/auditions-maskerade

5.1 PLAYS IN JULY, AUGUST AND SEPTEMBER

* WYRD SISTERS IN DERBY (JULY)

The Marlowe Players, an amateur company who have been staging plays for
nearly 70 years, take a crack at Wyrd Sisters next week!

On the subject of Terry Pratchett, Wyrd Sisters director Rick Law says:
"As someone who reads a fair few fantasy novels, I've never found a
series that takes itself less seriously than the Discworld books, much
to their credit. A lot of that comes from the narrator's voice, and that
is Terry's voice. I challenge anyone to read his work without being
reduced to a giggling mess at some point while your co-workers/people
around you on public transport/your pets looks at you like you've gone mad."

When: 25th–29th July 2017
Venue: Darley Abbey Village Hall, Abbey Yard (off New Road), Darley
Abbey, Derby DE22 1DS
Time: 7.30pm all shows
Tickets: £7, available from the Box Office (phone 07961 607372) or
online by filling in the web form at
http://www.marlowe-players.co.uk/book-tickets/

"Please note that we do not have numbered seating at Darley Abbey but we
will do our best to accommodate those with special needs if you advise
us accordingly."

http://www.marlowe-players.co.uk/

* WYRD SISTERS AT THE EDINBURGH FRINGE... (AUGUST)

Return of the Hat! After their successes with Eric and Mort at the
Edinburgh Fringe Festival, the Duck in a Hat theatre company will be
back at with their production of Wyrd Sisters in August.

When: 14th-19th August and 21st-27th August 2017
Venue: Paradise in Augustines, (Venue 152) 41 George IV Bridge,
Edinburgh EH1 1EL
Time: 6.25pm all shows; running time is 90 minutes
Tickets: £9.50 (concession £8.50), available from
https://edinburghfestival.list.co.uk/event/775570-terry-pratchetts-wyrd-sisters/
or ring the Box Office on 0131 510 0022

http://duckinahat.weebly.com/

* GUARDS! GUARDS! IN CARDIFF (AUGUST)

The next exciting Discworld play presented by Monstrous Productions will
be Guards! Guards!

When: 16th–19th August 2017
Venue: The Gate Arts Theatre, Keppoch St, Cardiff CF24 3JW
Time: 7.30pm (2.30pm matinee on the 19th)
Tickets: £8 (£6 concessions), available online from https://t.co/vJToGp8O5P

http://monstrousptc.com/
https://twitter.com/MonstrousPTC/
https://www.facebook.com/MonstrousProductionsTheatreCompany/

* WYRD SISTERS IN THE LAND OF FEEGLES (AUGUST/SEPTEMBER)

Monifieth Amateur Dramatics (MAD) will be staging their production of
Wyrd Sisters, directed by Steven Armstrong, in August: "Stephen Briggs
has been involved in amateur dramatics for over 25 years and he assures
us that the play can be staged without needing the budget of Industrial
Light and Magic. Not only that, but the cast should still be able to be
in the pub by 10 o'clock!"

When: 24th-26th August and 31st August-2nd September 2017
Venue: Monifieth Theatre, 72 High Street, Monifieth, Angus DD5 2AE
Time: 7.30pm all shows
Tickets: £9 (£6 concessions), available from Troups Pharmacy, Monifieth;
Yorkshire Building Society, Broughty Ferry; and The Bay Diner/Grill,
Monifieth. Ring 01382 480043 for details. Tickets are also available
online at http://www.monifieththeatre.co.uk/tickets and at
https://www.tickettailor.com/all-tickets/13094/1940/

http://www.monifieththeatre.co.uk/whatson

* WYRD SISTERS IN WEST YORKSHIRE (SEPTEMBER)

The Todmorden Amateur Operatic and Dramatic Society (T.A.O.D.S.) will be
presenting an unusual Discworld experience – Vince Foxall's BBC radio
play of Wyrd Sisters, performed live – at the end of September. "As with
previous productions, this Hippodrome Foyer Play is based on an original
radio script dramatized by Vince Foxall for BBC Radio 4 and will be
performed script-in-hand with live sound effects and a large cast of
players old and new.  Featuring strolling minstrels, fools, ghosts,
murderers and diverse alarums!"

When: 29th and 30th September 2017
Venue: Hippodrome Theatre, 83 Halifax Road, Todmorden OL14 5BB
Time: 7.30pm all shows
Tickets: £6, available online from https://www.ticketsource.co.uk/todhip

http://www.todhip.org/wyrd-sisters

* LORDS AND LADIES IN BRISBANE (SEPTEMBER–OCTOBER)

Brisbane Arts Theatre will be presenting their next Discworld play,
Lords and Ladies – adapted by Irana brown – in September: "Granny
Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg – the witches of Lancre – are the Discworld's
only hope of rescue when elves threaten to take control with their
hypnotic 'glamour'. Standing stones, wizards, Morris men, rude
mechanicals, country lore and ancient magic all combine in this
adaptation of one of Sir Terry's finest. With a full supporting cast of
dwarves, wizards, trolls and one orangutan, the hilarious Lords and
Ladies delivers an abundance of hey-nonny-nonny and blood all over the
place."

When: 16th September – 21st October 2017
Venue: Brisbane Arts Theatre, 210 Petrie Terrace, Brisbane, QLD 4000
Time: 7.30pm Thursdays, 8.00pm Fridays & Saturdays, 6.30pm Sundays
Tickets: Adults $34, Concession $28, Group 10+ $27, Student Rush $15 (10
mins before curtain), available online at http://bit.ly/2tjucfQ
"Subscribers can redeem season tickets for this show. There are no
refunds or exchanges once tickets have been purchased."

http://www.artstheatre.com.au/show/lordsandladies

5.2 PLAYS LATER IN 2017

* MORT IN READING (OCTOBER)

Twyford and Ruscombe Theatre Group will present their production of
Mort, "an off beat tale of bacon, eggs and destiny", in October.

"Terry Pratchett's Discworld will once more be gracing the stage at
Loddon Hall. We are putting on a production of Mort, which will involve
a large cast, plenty of dramatic moments and a lot of laughs."

When: 5th–7th October 2017
Venue: Loddon Hall, Loddon Hall Road, Twyford, Reading, Berkshire, RG10 9JA
Time: 8pm all shows
Tickets: £7, £8, £9 and £10, available online at
http://www.ticketsource.co.uk/event/171598

http://www.twyrusdrama.org.uk

* MORT IN KENT (OCTOBER)

The Erith Playhouse are staging their production of Mort in October.

When: 9th–14th October 2017
Venue: Erith Playhouse, 38–40 High Street, Erith, Kent DA8 1QY
Time: 8pm all shows
Tickets: £10, available from the Box Office on 01322 350345 or by
filling out the form on the webpage
(_http://www.playhouse.org.uk/show/mort/_). "Tickets can be posted to
you or held at the Box Office for collection prior to the performance."

http://www.playhouse.org.uk/next-seasons-shows/

* RAISING STEAM IN ABINGDON: A POSTPONEMENT

The Studio Theatre Club have slightly updated their announcement: "Don't
tell anyone yet (this is just between you and us), it's still a long way
off (2018!), we've only just had the formal permission for a new play
and Stephen's still writing it, but he thinks it's about time he tackled
another of the novels, and the third in the Moist von Lipwig Trilogy
might just be the right one. It's been on his to-do list for a
while...he thinks he owes it to Terry... Tickets are not yet on sale.
News here when they are!"

http://www.studiotheatreclub.com/discworld

5.3 PLAYS IN 2018

* MASKERADE IN READING (JANUARY 2018)

The Progress Theatre will be staging their production of Maskerade in
January next year. But first, don't forget to check the auditions page,.
above...'

When: 18th–27th January 2018
Venue: Progress Theatre, The Mount, Reading RG1 5HL
Time: 7.45pm all evening shows, 2.30pm matinees on 20th and 27th January
Tickets: TBA

http://progresstheatre.co.uk/maskerade

* MONSTROUS REGIMENT IN GEORGIA USA (FEBRUARY 2018)

Gainesville Theatre Alliance's 2017-2018 season will feature their
production of Monstrous Regiment in a "February Festival of Theatre".
"GTA is a nationally acclaimed collaboration of the University of North
Georgia, Brenau University, theatre professionals and the northeast
Georgia community that has yielded state and national awards."

When: 16th–24th February 2018
Venue: UNG-Gainesville's Ed Cabell Theatre, 3820 Mundy Mill Road,
Oakwood, GA
Time: 7:30pm evening shows on the 16th, 18th, 20th-24th, and 2:30pm
matinees on the 17th & 24th
Tickets: $18-20 for adults, $16-18 for seniors and $12-14 for students,
depending on seat location, available from 1st July 1 online at
www.gainesvilleTHEATREalliance.org or by phoning the Box Office at 678
717 3624.

http://blog.ung.edu/gta/performances/index/
http://blog.ung.edu/gta/performances/tickets/

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

06) DISCWORLD MEETING GROUPS NEWS: UPDATES AND REMINDERS

The Broken Drummers, "London's Premier Unofficially Official Discworld
Group" (motto "Nil percussio est"), will be meeting next on Monday 7th
August 2017 at the Monkey Puzzle, 30 Southwick Street, London, W2 1JQ.
"We welcome anyone and everyone who enjoys Sir Terry's works, or quite
likes them or wants to find out more. We have had many visitors from
overseas who have enjoyed themselves and made new friends. The
discussions do not only concern the works of Sir Terry Pratchett but
wander and meander through other genres and authors and also leaping to
TV and Film production. We also find time for a quiz."

The Drummers have also taken up doing the odd afternoon meetup; the next
one will take place on 27th August. Meanwhile, here be last month's
report by Helen Nicholls:

"We met nearly two weeks ago. There is no reason for the late report
beyond the fact that I just didn't get round to it. When I arrived,
Charles gave me a Zelda wolf amibo as a birthday present, which was very
nice of him. Charles told us of his attempts to embrace his Scottish
heritage when Mahrie came in, making the meeting more Scottish. Later
Rak arrived, making it very Scottish indeed. I recall a discussion on
ancient Rome, the destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem and subsequent
construction of the Colosseum from the proceeds. We also talked about
Roman emperors and the suicides of Roman dignitaries that were really a
polite form of execution (not that the death of Petronius could really
be described as polite - Google it if you want the gory details). Never
forget that this is a cultured group. Phil showed off cute pictures of
his new kittens, Mort and Midnight, which caused an unbelievable chorus
of cutesy noises from Andrew, Alex G. and Taz. Alex said that he loves
to see pictures of cute animals and children. The others were very
dismissive of the idea that children are cute. This reminded me of a
Dara O'Brien routine where he asks what is wrong with us that we find
the young of other species more appealing than our own. Jessica arrived
in time to do her quiz on detective fiction. This was won by Mahrie, who
will be doing the next quiz."

For more information, go to http://brokendrummers.org/ or email
BrokenDrummers at gmail.com or nicholls.helen at yahoo.co.uk

*

Canberra, Australia's Discworld fan group is Drumknott's Irregulars:
"The group is open to all, people from interstate and overseas are
welcome, and our events will not be heavily themed. Come along to dinner
for a chat and good company. We welcome people from all fandoms (and
none) and we would love to see you at one of our events, even if you're
just passing through. Please contact us via Facebook
(_https://www.facebook.com/groups/824987924250161/_) or Google Groups
(_https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/drumknotts-irregulars_) or
join us at our next event."

*

For Facebook users in Fourecks: The Victorian Discworld Klatch is "a
social group for fans of Discworld and Terry Pratchett... run by a
dedicated team who meet monthly and organise events monthly." "If you'd
like to join our events please ask to join the Klatch."

https://www.facebook.com/groups/VictorianDiscworldKlatch

*

"The Gathering of the Loonies (Wincanton chapter)" is a public Facebook
meeting group: "This group, by request of Jo in Bear will continue to be
used for future unofficial (not run by the Emporium) fan Gatherings in
Wincanton. Look here for information." Future events will include the
Hogswatch Express meet (24th-26th November 2017) and the Did You Bring a
Beer Along meeting (celebrating 20 years of The Last Continent) in April
2018.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/373578522834654/

*

The Pratchett Partisans are a fan group who meet monthly at either
Brisbane or Indooroopilly to "eat, drink and chat about all things
Pratchett. We hold events such as Discworld dinners, games afternoons,
Discworld photo scavenger hunts. We also attend opening night at
Brisbane Arts Theatre's Discworld plays." The Partisans currently have
about 200 members who meet at least twice a month, usually in Brisbane.

For more info about their next meetup, join up at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/pratchettpartisans/ or contact Ula
directly at uwilmott at yahoo.com.au

*

The City of Small Gods is a group for fans in Adelaide and South
Australia: "We have an established Terry Pratchett & Discworld fan group
in Adelaide called The City of Small Gods, which is open to anyone who
would like to come – you don't have to live in Adelaide or even South
Australia, or even be a Discworld fan, but that's mostly where our
events will be held, and we do like discussing Pratchett's works. Our
(semi-) regular meetings are generally held on the last Thursday of the
month at a pub or restaurant in Adelaide. We have dinner at 6.30pm
followed by games until 9pm. The games are usually shorter games like
Pairs, Sushi Go, or Tiny Epic Defenders, with the occasional Werewolf
session, as these are the best sort of games that work in a pub setting.
Every few months, we have a full day's worth of board games at La Scala
Cafe, 169 Unley Rd, Unley in the function room starting at 10am. In
addition, we will occasionally have other events to go and see plays by
Unseen Theatre Company, book discussions, craft, chain maille or
costuming workshops or other fun social activities."

The next CoSG event will be the Monthly Social Meet at the Caledonian
Hotel on 27th July.

The CoSG also have another identity. Here's the skinny:

Round World Events SA Inc is a not-for-profit incorporated association
whose aim is to run fun social Pratchett-themed events for people in
South Australia. Our first major event was the Unseen University
Convivium held in July 2012. We have also run three successful and
booked out Science Fiction and Fantasy themed quiz nights named Quiz
Long And Prosper, in 2013, 2014 and 2015! We are also running the next
Australian Discworld Convention, Nullus Anxietas VI – The Discworld
Grand Tour – taking place in August 2017. You can find more out about it
on this very website (_http://ausdwcon.org/_)! The association will run
some events under the City of Small Gods banner, but you do not have to
be a Round World Events SA member to be part of City of Small Gods.
However, we are always on the look out for new members for Round World
Events SA to help us organise future events! Membership is $20 a year
(for Adelaide locals) or $5 a year (for those not quite so close) and
has the following benefits:

A shiny membership certificate all of your very own
Discounted entry price to some of the events we run
A warm, fuzzy feeling deep down in your chest (no, not quite that deep)
For more information, or to join as a member, please email
RoundWorldEventsSA at gmail.com

www.cityofsmallgods.org.au

*

The Broken Vectis Drummers meet next on Thursday 3rd August 2017
(probably) from 7.30pm at The Castle pub in Newport, Isle of Wight. For
more info and any queries, contact broken_vectis_drummers at yahoo.co.uk

*

The Wincanton Omnian Temperance Society (WOTS) next meets on Friday 4th
August 2017 (probably) at Wincanton's famous Bear Inn from 7pm onwards.
"Visitors and drop-ins are always welcome!"

*

The Northern Institute of the Ankh-Morpork and District Society of
Flatalists, a Pratchett fangroup, has been meeting on a regular basis
since 2005. The Flatalists normally meet at The Narrowboat Pub in
Victoria Street, Skipton, North Yorkshire, to discuss "all things
Pratchett" as well as having quizzes and raffles. Details of future
meetings are posted on the Events section of the Discworld Stamps forum:

http://www.discworldstamps.co.uk/forum/

*

Sydney Drummers (formerly Drummers Downunder) meet next on Monday 7th
August 2017 at 6.30pm in Sydney at 3 Wise Monkeys, 555 George Street,
Sydney,2000. For more information, contact Sue (aka Granny Weatherwax):
kenworthys at yahoo.co.uk

*

The Treacle Mining Corporation, formerly known as Perth Drummers, meets
next on Monday 7th August 2017 (probably) from 5.30pm at Carpe Cafe, 526
Murray Street, Perth, Western Australia. For details follow Perth
Drummers on Twitter @Perth_Drummers or join their Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Perth.Drummers/ – or message Alexandra
Ware directly at <alexandra.ware at gmail.com>

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

07) AROUND THE BLOGOSPHERE

Blogger Navigating Neverland's introduction to Discworld comes via
Guards! Guards!:

"The pacing of the book was fantastic! There weren't any parts in which
the story dragged because even in parts that may have been uninteresting
in another book, this one did it right by combining humor with fantastic
characters. I was always interested in what was going on. The only part
that caused trouble was at the beginning when we are just thrown into
the story and, having never read Pratchett, I was trying to get used to
his writing... The plot of the book was all-around entertaining,
hilarious, and just down right enjoyable. This is the first book I have
read in the series and, in my opinion, the world-building was terrific.
I loved having my first experience being inside the city of Ankh-Morpork
and learning all about its inner workings. It doesn't seem like a city I
would enjoy living in, that's for sure..."

https://navigatingneverland.org/2017/07/11/guards-guards-discworld-8-city-watch-1-by-terry-pratchett/

Blogger Michael Beyer reviews Raising Steam:

Terry Pratchett is always a good choice if you like laughs, thrills, and
satire. Raising Steam does not disappoint. It uses familiar characters
like Moist Von Lipwig from Going Postal and Commander Vimes of the
Ankh-Morpork city watch along with new characters like the engineer Dick
Simnel and the goblin Of The Twilight The Darkness (Yes, they like you
to use the whole name)... The usual mix of plot complications and themes
of science versus magic are thrown about like fireballs to keep the
story interesting, and one dark and foggy night aboard the train on a
rickety bridge with the deposed king of the dwarves on board headed back
to his kingdom sums up the sheer magic of Terry Pratchett's gift for
story-telling..."

https://catchafallingstarbook.net/2017/07/12/raising-steam-a-book-by-terry-pratchett/

Blogger okelay's thoughts on the Long Earth series:

"There isn't exactly one plot. It's more of a worldbuilding exercise and
exploration, some stories get a lot of time, others little... This could
be either positive or negative depending on the reader. Personally I
liked seeing what was going on in all the different places of the Earth
and would like to see more of that. Like what's stepwise Chile like?
Underwater? Destroyed by vulcanos,earthquakes,tsunamis?, are there
worlds where the Andes are not there and what does that do to the
climate? What kind of life lives here? There's a lot to explore. I've
also seen several reviews of people thinking the plot is too meandering.
It's entirely possible, but I don't see that as a negative thing. It is
fairly slow plot-wise, there's no thrill or urgency. Which is nice,
cause there's no hurry to finish the book,no omg whats gonna happen,
you're not racing to the end so you can sit back and enjoy the
journey... [the books] are not particularly funny and prose doesn't feel
Pratchett-like at all which makes me think that maybe he came up with
the ideas and Baxter did the actual writing..."

https://okelay.wordpress.com/2017/07/06/book-review-the-long-earth-series/#more-1616

Blogger Ivy Torrejos loved The Last Hero:

"Seeing it on the shelves of a bookstore, I was drawn by its wonderful
pages full of illustrations (it's like a childrens book) and it's a
twist on a familiar theme (Conan the Barbarian?!). I read the synopsis
at the back and was intrigued by the storyline. I bought the book and it
became one of my favorite... I have read The Last Hero many times since
I bought it. I always wanted to experience the adventure and funny
moments. It helps cheer me up everytime I find myself in a lag..."

https://wearestockfile.wordpress.com/2017/07/04/stockfile-book-reviewthe-last-hero-a-discworld-fable/

Blogger The Past Due Book Review is back to give five out of five to
Good Omens:

"Good Omens may seem a simple parody at first but it posits the theory
that people, when left to their own devices, will be good or choose to
carry on rather than chuck it and start over. Adam grows up under the
influence of neither Good or Evil, but humanity. Pratchett and Gaiman
weave a story that is entertaining, complex, and hilarious; their voices
and writing prowess are so similar, and complementary, that I have a
hard time picking out who wrote which parts despite having read multiple
works by both authors. Filled with references to pop culture, the Bible,
and literature, Good Omens is a treasure trove for those with sharp eyes
that enjoy little Easter Eggs. I have three copies of this book; a
dog-eared copy that I lend to other people, a nice (as in quality, not
accuracy) hard cover I received as a Christmas gift, and this copy that
I found in a Half Priced Books. If you are searching for a book that
lands its jokes at with impeccable timing while delivering a message
that could save us all, look no further."

https://thepastduebookreview.com/2017/06/28/good-omens-review/#more-5860

Blogger fantasyst95's review of Small Gods:

"I have found through reading Pratchett's books that they often have
some underlying message, often by parodying life and our everyday
struggles or alternatively, other literature; Equal Rites addresses the
issue of gender equality, Wyrd Sisters parodies the three witches in
Shakespeare's Macbeth and Moving Pictures is a humorous take on
Hollywood and the power of media. Small Gods I think is no exception...
Corruption in the church is also an issue which is brought up, as the
local population with the help of Om attempt to depose Vorbis, the head
of the Quisition with whacky schemes of a million-to-one-chance odds, so
it just has to work… right?! Well, nothing ever goes exactly to plan,
but the Discworld population are adaptable if nothing else. This book
has some real laugh-out-loud moments, and although I wouldn't say it was
in my top favourites of Pratchett's Discworld novels, it still holds its
own..."

https://readersonline.blog/2017/06/25/review-small-gods-terry-pratchett/

Blogger Making Them Readers is back with another mother-and-child
review, this time of The Fifth Elephant:

Oscar loved it because the Watch stories are his favourite, particularly
any scenes that involve Nobby Nobbs, and I loved it because it really
hammers home the point that by this time, Pratchett had gone way beyond
the traditional limits of fantasy and is writing in a much more
philosophical vein about all the foibles of being human. This is
particularly underscored in his handling of the Uberwald class system,
and the things about the dwarves that Vimes discovers. It foreshadows
his material about goblins in the very last books he wrote.

There are the usual comic touches, but The Fifth Elephant is so much
darker than the early works and, to my mind more multi faceted, showing
the different layers of understanding and discovery that Pratchett was
exploring. Whether a child reader will pick this up or not is largely
irrelevant as the stories bear reading over and over again, and as my
delight in rediscovering this attests, will last a lifetime of
re-examination.

https://makingthemreaders.wordpress.com/2017/07/19/the-fifth-elephant-by-terry-pratchett/

Blogger Jamesbee also highly recommends The Fifth Elephant:

"The novel is takes place largely in Uberwald where dwarves, vampires,
werewolves and Igors all live together in uneasy harmony. Pratchett uses
this to make some interesting points on race relations and traditions.
Drawing parallels between the Discworld and our own is not difficult,
and is relevant even to this day. As usual, he hides his rather vicious
deconstruction of society behind comedy. The plot is intricate and
engaging, with a number of clues and mysteries to solve. All the
characters you would hope show up show up and grow and evolve. The novel
hums along nicely with each chapter pushing the towards to the
conclusion. Overall the Fifth Elephant had all of the elements that lend
the Discworld novels its charms without having some of the pitfalls that
sometimes show up. The novel was well plotted, charming, and in many
parts, hilarious. I would fully recommend this novel to any fantasy
lover, even someone who hasn't read much or any of Terry Pratchett's
novels before."

https://jamesreads.blog/2017/07/17/the-fifth-elephant-no-spoilers/

Blogger Rustling of Pages finds gloom worth loving in Feet of Clay:

"I had a bit of trouble finding into the story because I had never
before read a City Watch Book and had to get to know the characters
first. Next time it will be decidedly easier (hopefully). However, each
more or less important character has their own backstory, doubts,
feelings and thoughts. They are well-rounded characters who you just
have to like immediately. The only one who annoyed me whenever he was on
the page was Nobby for being … Nobby.  The plot follows different
strands, even into people's personal lives and leaves you wondering how
they might fit together. At times it was difficult to tell what was even
going on with all those deviations and digressions and in the end some
things had nothing to do with the plot at all but I didn't mind. With
Ankh-Morpork being shrouded in mist during the night the setting
immediately became darker and more mysterious. Shadows lurking in the
mist, murders being committed. This added a nice clammy and creepy touch
to the story... Pratchett has a lovely writing style. Shorter sentences
and devoid of lengthy descriptions. There is a lot of dry humour and
playing on words which I absolutely love!

https://rustlingofpages.wordpress.com/2017/07/16/feet-of-clay/

Cultured Vultures blogger Nat Wassell is getting near to the end of her
epic re-read of the Discworld novels. Here are her thoughts on Snuff:

"I am inclined to say that whilst I agree it is not the strongest Watch
novel, as a finale to their story, it is a very good one. Sir Terry did
not know that this was going to be the last Watch novel of course; I
seem to remember several sources at the time of his death talking about
how the one after 'The Shepherd's Crown' was going to be a Watch story,
and as he did not know, most of the characters aside from Sam are
probably neglected a little bit. Detritus and Angua, for example, have
very little to do here, which is a shame for his last appearance. The
focus is on Sam, for the most part, because he has been forced out of
town on a holiday. Of course, the odds of Samuel Vimes actually enjoying
a holiday are slim to none... 'Snuff' does such a great job of finishing
off Sam Vimes' story because it is the perfect example of character
growth and change. When we first met him back in 'Guards! Guards!' he
was a drunken police captain who was in charge of a force of three
people, including himself. He was reluctant to even take on a dwarf, let
alone a troll. Now he is a duke, a happily married father, in charge of
a metropolitan Watch; dwarves, trolls, gargoyles, vampires, werewolves,
golems and a Feegle rub shoulders with humans, and everyone is much
happier for it... I've talked a bit about how Vetinari, Vimes and Sybil,
Archchancellor Ridcully, William de Worde and Moist Von Lipwig are
changing the face of Ankh-Morpork, and it is encouraging to think that
the future of the city, and indeed the Disc, lies firmly in the hands of
youngsters like Young Sam and Tiffany Aching..."

https://culturedvultures.com/snuff-2011-discworld/

...and finally, on new fansite We Atent Ded, Spanish blogger Carlos Ors
Bravo writes about his love for the Pratchett oeuvre and its effects on him:

"It isn't easy for me to talk (or, as is the case, write) about Sir
Terry Pratchett. Not ever since he died. Although, if you were to talk
to my close family, they'd say that Pratchett is the only person I talk
about (if you don't take into account Neil Gaiman, Jeff Bridges, the
Coen brothers and, on occasion, Tim Curry). But that's not what I meant.
Even though I talk about STP quite often, I still feel a sting in my
heart every time I mention him or quote him (which is very, very often).
But before I talk about him, let's travel back in time. Seven, eight or,
maybe, nine years. I'm not quite sure about it. Anyway, let's go to Arte
9 – a comic-book store that's one of Madrid's nerd culture staples.
Let's go to the franchise they have by Manuel Becerra, where I spent
many (maybe too many) afternoons as a teen... I went into that dark
comic-book store, clutching what little money I had, and leaning by the
door was a huge piece of cardboard with a book glued to it. The book was
Equal Rites and, by it, the editor had said something or other about
Pratchett. I don't remember what it was, but I'm sure it didn't do him
justice. I'm positive. Two days after buying it, I'd already read it and
was doing a short presentation on the bespectacled, bearded, man on the
back-cover. I wasn't an expert, but I knew enough to convince people to
read his books... thanks to the many books I've read ever since I picked
up Equal Rites all those years ago, I've confirmed all my suspicions
which, in retrospect, are fairly obvious: Pratchett was incredibly
well-read (obvious, I know, but still…). He disassembled everything and
satirized it in the process. Many other things. His culture lead me not
only to writing, but to reading and buying other books (Brewer's
Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, for example) and, also, to improving
myself as a person..."

https://weatentded.wordpress.com/2017/07/16/terry-pratchetts-obe-art-and-a-writers-adolescence/

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

08) DISCWORLD ARTS AND CRAFTS NEWS

8.1. DISCWORLD EMPORIUM NEWS

* A new book of stories!

"Terry Pratchett presents Christmas with a difference! Forget the tinsel
and turkey, gifts and games, and indulge in abominable snowmen,
explosive mince pies, a Santa Claus who ends up arrested for burglary,
and a partridge in a pear tree! Enjoy a festive frolic with ten early
short stories written by Terry for the Bucks Free Press in his days as a
journalist – Father Christmas's fake beard will have you chortling,
giggling and possibly crying into your Christmas pudding!"

Priced at £12.99, Father Christmas's Fake Beard will ship on the 17th of
August 2017 and can be pre-ordered via the link below. Also, a deluxe
slipcover edition, priced at £25 and due for release on 5th November
2017, is available to pre-order (see second link below). Both editions
promise to ship on the day of release. For more information, and to
pre-order, go to:

https://www.discworldemporium.com/younger-readers-books/388-father-christmas-s-fake-beard-pre-order
https://www.discworldemporium.com/younger-readers-books/389-father-christmas-s-fake-beard-deluxe-edition-pre-order

* A found treasure trove of copies of The Witches!

"Long out of print and much in demand, we've rescued copies of this
Discworld board game from distant lands and wrestled them out of the
grasp of creatures from the Dungeon Dimensions to get them back on our
shelves! DON'T MISS OUT!!

"Most problems can be solved with a little headology, but sometimes a
witch must resort to magic - use caution however, as a little too much
can cause an inexperienced witch to turn 'Black Aliss'. Play as Tiffany
Aching, Dimity Hubbub, Annagramma Hawkin or Petulia Gristle and travel
around the kingdom of Lancre. This beautiful game is illustrated by
Discworld artist Peter Dennis and features 55 illustrated cards and a
map of the witches' homeland. The second Discworld board game from
Treefrog can be played by up to four participants, but can also be
enjoyed as a solo adventure!"

The Witches is priced at £55. For more information, and to order, go to:

https://www.discworldemporium.com/games-activities/386-the-witches-a-discworld-board-game

8.2 PAUL KIDBY'S DISCWORLD MASSIF PRINTS

The stunning Discworld Massif, aka the Disc's biggest iconograph-selfie,
was recently featured in art magazine ImagineFX – a timely reminder that
prints of Mr Kidby's wonderful piece make great Hogswatch gifts for
Pratchett fans...

"This is a unique collectors print featuring 77 favourite characters
from the realms of  Terry Pratchett's Discworld. Each print is hand
signed and numbered and the edition is limited to only 2000 copies
worldwide. Prints will be despatched rolled in tissue in a postal tube.
Price includes Postage and Packaging for UK Deliveries."

The Discworld Massif is priced at £50 (plus shipping, for buyers outside
the UK). For more information, and to order, go to:

http://shop.paulkidby.com/discworld-massif-print/

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

09) IMAGES OF THE MONTH

A quick couple for you...

The "blocking-in" stage of Paul Kidby's latest Nac Mac Feegle sculpt:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFQQpJ5XgAAxxN2.jpg

A nicely funky Nanny Ogg preparing to do the Rite of Ashk'Ente, from the
Maldon Drama Group's recent production of Wyrd Sisters:
http://bit.ly/2uITt45

10) CLOSE

And that's the lot for July and back to bed for me. Take care, and we'll
see you next month!

– Annie Mac

The mirror version of this issue can be viewed at
http://wossname.dreamwidth.org/55599.html

The End. If you have any questions or requests, write: wossname-owner
(at) pearwood (dot) info