Wossname -- December 2017 -- main issue

News and reviews about the works of Sir Terry Pratchett wossname at pearwood.info
Sun Dec 31 10:01:36 AEDT 2017

Wossname
December 2017 (Volume 20, Issue 12, Post 1)

WOSSNAME is a free publication offering news, reviews, and all the other
stuff-that-fits pertaining to the works of Sir Terry Pratchett.
Originally founded by the late, great Joe Schaumburger for members of
the worldwide Klatchian Foreign Legion and its affiliates, including the
North American Discworld Society and other continental groups, Wossname
is now for Discworld and Pratchett fans everywhere in Roundworld.

Editor in Chief: Annie Mac
News Editor: Vera P
Newshounds: Mogg, Sir J of Croydon Below, the Shadow, Mss C, Alison not
Aliss
Staff Writers: Asti, Pitt the Elder, Evil Steven Dread, Mrs Wynn-Jones
Staff Technomancers: Jason Parlevliet, Archchancellor Neil, DJ Helpful
Book Reviews: Annie Mac, Drusilla D'Afanguin, Your Name Here
Puzzle Editor: Tiff (still out there somewhere)
Emergency Staff: Steven D'Aprano, Jason Parlevliet
World Membership Director: Steven D'Aprano (in his copious spare time)

01) QUOTES OF THE MONTH
02 EDITOR'S LETTER
03) ODDS AND SODS
04) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS
05) DISCWORLD ARTS AND CRAFTS NEWS
06) DISCWORLD MEETING GROUPS NEWS
07) IMAGES OF THE MONTH
08) CLOSE

01) QUOTES OF THE MONTH

“I read Good Omens almost 20 years ago. I thought it was one of the
funniest, coolest books I’d ever read. It was also, obviously,
unfilmable. Two months ago Neil sent me the scripts, and I knew I had to
be in it.”
– Jon Hamm, aka the Angel Gabriel

“It’s not every day you get to play the Voice of God."
– Sir Derek Jacobi, who has already had the experience of playing
small(er) gods (the Emperor Claudius and The Master from Gallifrey,
among many others)

"Although we have visitors from all over the world, people don't usually
come to Salisbury just to see an exhibition from Australia, New Zealand,
America, Russia, Northumberland, Aberdeen... so people have travelled
such a long way just to see some of the things that meant the most to
Terry."
– Richard Henry, Salisbury Museum curator

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

02) LETTER FROM YOUR EDITOR

Here it is, the last day of 2017 (or the Year of Some Artichoke or
Other***), and if you're reading these words right now, it means that
something wonderful has happened to all of us: WE ATE'NT DEAD. So pour
yourself a double thimbleful of last Tuesday's best vintage scumble,
tuck into that pile of leftover Hogswatch pies, and join me in hoping
that the last day of 2018 will find us all upright (not tuppenny),
breathing (not heavily) and reading those same three words... and also
find us all continuing to re-read and cherish and spread the word about
one of the finest authors ever to put pen to paper, fingertips to keypad
or voice to Dragon. Hail and never farewell, Sir Terry Pratchett! May
your name stay forever on the Overhead.

Now then...

– Annie Mac, Editor

*** Of course I know what Discworld year this supposedly has been. I
also know that the coming year is purported to be the Year of Some Prawn
or Other. But until someone provides verifiable proof that The Author
himself left us a list of future Discworld year-names, I can't but look
a wee bit askance at 'em. Pass the crystal ball, Mrs Cake...

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

03)  ODDS AND SODS

A reminder: the Terry Pratchett: HisWorld exhibition at the Salisbury
Museum has been extended and will now run until 14th January 2018. The
admission charges to the museum, including the exhibit, are £7.50 adult
and £3.60 for children aged 5 to 16. There is an £18.50 family ticket (2
adults and up to four children). Children under 5 get free entry. There
is also a donations scheme: "Donation admissions can be tax effective if
given under Gift Aid. They are 10% greater than the standard entry fee
to enable Salisbury Museum to treat the whole amount paid as a donation
and reclaim tax on the total. This amounts to an extra 25 per cent,
potentially a very significant boost to museum funds."

Tickets can be bookedonline at
http://salisbury.merlintickets.co.uk/product/ADMW000004

http://www.salisburymuseum.org.uk/whats-on/exhibitions/terry-pratchett-hisworld

Paul Kidby's The Charmed Realm exhibition at the Salisbury Museum has
also been extended, and will also run until the 14th of January. Note:
the exhibition is in the Small Exhibition Gallery on the First Floor
(access by stairs only).  The exhibition itself is free entry, but
normal admission charges to the museum apply.

http://www.salisburymuseum.org.uk/whats-on/exhibitions/paul-kidby-charmed-realm

*

BBC Radio Four is repeating the rather excellent Good Omens radio play.
The six episodes started on Christmas Day, are currently running, and
will all be available for listening until late January. Go here to listen:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04knt4h/episodes/guide

*

On Gizmodo, James Whitbrook writes of a small but fitting tribute that
will be seen in the forthcoming live-action Good Omens miniseries:

"The more and more we see of Good Omens, the sadder it is that Neil
Gaiman's collaborator on the original novel, the departed Terry
Pratchett, isn't here to see his work come to life. But the BBC series,
in some subtle ways, is planning at least one lovely tribute to the
author. Gaiman took to Instagram last night to share a small video from
filming within the set of Aziraphale's bookshop, a key location from the
novel that operates as both Aziraphale's (played by Michael Sheen in the
Amazon/BBC series) home away from Heaven on Earth, and a repository for
his beloved book collection. In the show at least, it will have a pile
of Pratchett's most iconic books, alongside his trademark hat, described
by Gaiman as something 'one of the customers left behind and will be
back for one day...' It's a small, but heartwarming tribute to Pratchett
– and likely not the only loving reference the show will make to its
source material's sadly absent co-creator."

http://bit.ly/2ylgach  (page includes short video)

*

Maurice hits the millions mark: in the Auckland, New Zealand library
system, TAMAHER was the four millionth ebook checked out:

"A children’s tale of clever rats and their pied piper has led Auckland
Libraries across the line to reach a total of 4 million checkouts from
their main eBooks platform, OverDrive. The milestone was reached this
month with the checkout of Amazing Maurice and his educated rodents by
author Terry Pratchett. Auckland Libraries is now one of only eight
libraries in the world to hit 4 million checkouts from OverDrive, the
leading digital reading platform used by a network of 36,000 libraries
and schools in 63 countries worldwide..."

http://bit.ly/2pYzflY

*

Pratchat is a monthly podcast that examines the novels of Sir Terry
Pratchett. The podcast is hosted by one Ben McKenzie – presumably not
the actor –  and Elizabeth Flux, and they plan to read and and discuss
one Pratchett novel every month:

"Our next episode is still a couple of weeks away, but we'd like to wish
all of our listeners a very Happy Hogswatch! We hope you're having a
lovely holiday, whatever form it takes. We couldn't bring you all pies,
of course, but we did get you a little present: a streamable,
downloadable version of the full Pratchat theme song by David Ashton!
It's one of our favourite things about the show, and we hope you'll
enjoy listening to it as much as we do. We've made it available via the
Splendid Chaps Production Bandcamp page
(_https://splendidchaps.bandcamp.com/_), where you'll also find some
other free stuff, including the first episode of audio comedy series
Night Terrace. Have a great holiday, and we'll see you in the new year!"

http://pratchatpodcast.com/

*

Speaking of the Terry Pratchett: HisWorld exhibition, the Lego Discworld
session was a success. Katy Griffin in the Salisbury Journal writes:

"The giant Lego mosaic was based on the Pied Piper artwork by Paul
Kidby's artwork for Terry Pratchett's book The Amazing Maurice and his
Educated Rodents. The museum held the Lego building event on Saturday,
December 9 which was attended by four hundred and sixty visitors. A
spokesman for the museum said: 'We were thrilled that so many visitors
turned out in the freezing cold to take part. We finally completed the
Lego mosaic just before 6pm with the help of some very determined Lego
builders. The complete mosaic is currently on display at the museum.'
The giant Lego mosaic was made from 61,440 Lego bricks. And 130 models
of the Discworld character "The Luggage" were also constructed."

http://www.salisburyjournal.co.uk/news/15714120.Giant_Lego_mosaic_created_to_celebrate_Sir_Terry_Pratchett/

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

04) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS

4.1 PLAYS IN JANUARY AND FEBRUARY 2018

* MORT IN STAFFORDSHIRE (JANUARY 2018)

The Tower Players return in January with a new Discworld production!
Director Andy Moseley writes:

"Having had only a brief cameo in 2012's Wyrd Sisters, Tower Players are
putting everyone's favourite anthropomorphic personification front and
centre in their new production of Mort. This is Tower Players' second
outing to the second hand set of dimensions that is home to Discworld,
following their highly commended staging of Wyrd Sisters in 2012.
Stephen Briggs' adaptation brings to life this humorous tale that
tackles classic themes of unrequited young love, the nature of mortality
and the impulsive, hormone driven disruption of the entire history of
the future.

"Book your tickets now for a great night in the company of Princesses,
Wizards, hormonal teenagers and the most efficient short order cook ever
to grace the kitchen of Harga's House of Ribs! Tell your families. Tell
your friends. Tell your enemies. Tell your colleagues. Tell the person
sat next to you on the tube/train/bus. Tell your taxi driver. Tell
random strangers in the street. Tell everyone!!"

When: 11th-13th January 2018
Venue: Prince of Wales Centre, Church Street, Cannock, Staffs WS11 1DE
Time: TBA
Tickets: £12, available from the Box Office (01543 578 762) or online at
https://boxoffice.wlct.org/event_description.aspx?eventid=655

If you have further enquiries, contact towerplayers at live.com

* MASKERADE IN READING (JANUARY 2018)

The Progress Theatre will be staging their production of Maskerade in
January next year.

When: 18th–27th January 2018
Venue: Progress Theatre, The Mount, Reading RG1 5HL
Time: 7.45pm all evening shows, 2.30pm matinees on 20th and 27th January
Tickets: TBA

http://progresstheatre.co.uk/maskerade

* MEN AT ARMS IN BERKSHIRE *RESCHEDULED* (FEBRUARY 2018)

The Cranbourne Amateur Dramatic Society (CADS) have rescheduled their
production of Men at Arms to February 2018:

"The Ankh-Morpork City Night Watch find their services are once more
needed to tackle a threat to their city. A threat at least as deadly as
a 60-foot dragon, but mechanical and heartless to boot. It kills without
compunction. It is the first gun on the Discworld. The original Watch –
Captain Vimes, Sergeant Colon, Corporal Carrot and Corporal Nobbs – are
joined by some new recruits, selected to reflect the city's ethnic
make-up – Lance-constables Cuddy, Detritus, and Angua. In a city, where
Assassins are clowning about and Fools are dying, the Watch must keep
control of themselves as much as its citizens."

When: 15th, 16th and 17th February 2018
Venue: St Peter's Church Hall, Hatchet Lane, Cranbourne, Winkfield,
Berks SL4 2EG
Time: 7.45pm all evening shows, with a 2.30pm matinee on the 17th
Tickets: £9, available from the Box Office (phone 01344 886456) or by
printing and posting a facsimile of the Booking Form below.

A rather adorable promotional video can be seen here (just remember to
ignore the October performance dates at the end):
https://youtu.be/Dx_ndpHGevw

www.cadsact.org.uk/shows/

* MONSTROUS REGIMENT IN GEORGIA USA (FEBRUARY 2018)

Gainesville Theatre Alliance's 2017-2018 season will feature their
production of Monstrous Regiment in a "February Festival of Theatre".
"GTA is a nationally acclaimed collaboration of the University of North
Georgia, Brenau University, theatre professionals and the northeast
Georgia community that has yielded state and national awards."

When: 16th–24th February 2018
Venue: UNG-Gainesville's Ed Cabell Theatre, 3820 Mundy Mill Road,
Oakwood, GA
Time: 7:30pm evening shows on the 16th, 18th, 20th-24th, and 2:30pm
matinees on the 17th & 24th
Tickets: $18-20 for adults, $16-18 for seniors and $12-14 for students,
depending on seat location, available from
www.gainesvilleTHEATREalliance.org or by phoning the Box Office at 678
717 3624. NOTE: by early August, 97 percent of the GTA performances were
sold out. "Theater-goers may purchase tickets to one show or all five.
They also may build their own custom ticket package, earning discounts
for two shows or more."

http://blog.ung.edu/gta/performances/index/
http://blog.ung.edu/gta/performances/tickets/

* MASKERADE IN YORK (FEBRUARY 2018)

We Are Theatre's next Discworld play will be the Stephen Briggs
adaptation of Maskerade!

When: 26th–28th Feb 2018
Venue: The Black Swan, Peasholme Green, York, YO1 7PR
Time: 7.30pm all shows
Tickets: £10, bookable by phoning 07521 364107 (note that there is only
limited seating available)

http://www.wearetheatre.co.uk/upcoming-productions.html

4.2 PLAYS LATER IN 2018

* WYRD SISTERS IN IFIELD, WEST SUSSEX (MARCH 2018)

The Ifield Barn Theatre Society are gearing up for their production of
Wyrd Sisters in March.

When: 7th–10th March 2018
Venue: Ifield Barn Theatre, Ifield Street, Crawley, W Sussex RH110NN
Time: 8pm all evening shows, plus a 3pm matinee on 10th March
Tickets: £10 (£8 for members and children), available from
http://www.ticketsource.co.uk/ifieldbarntheatre

http://www.ifieldbarn.co.uk/coming-soon.html

* WYRD SISTERS IN BENDIGO, FOURECKS (APRIL 2018)

The Bendigo Theatre Company's Tribe Youth Theatre will stage a
production of Wyrd Sisters in April!

When: 5th–8th April 2018
Venue: BTC Arts Shed, 15-17 Allingham Street, Golden Square, Bendigo,
Victoria 3555
Time: 7pm all shows
Tickets: $22 (concessions $20; students $17; children under 12 $14;
family ticket $57), available via http://bit.ly/2Clm4jH – choose your
date from the drop-down menu.

About Tribe: https://bendigotheatrecompany.org/tribe/

https://bendigotheatrecompany.org/

* GUARDS! GUARDS! IN CHORLEY (APRIL 2018)

CADOS (possibly once the Chorley and District Operatic Society?) will be
staging Guards! Guards! in April: "This production marks what would have
been Sir Terry's 70th birthday."

When: 23rd–28th April 2018
Venue: Chorley Little Theatre, Dole Lane, Chorley, Lancs PR7 2RL
Time: 7:30pm all shows
Tickets: 23rd, 24th, 25th £8; 26th, 27th, 28th £10, available online at
https://www.ticketsource.co.uk/event/208113 or in person at Malcom's
Musicland 01257 264362 or Ebb & Flo Bookshop or when the Theatre Box
Office is open for shows.

http://www.chorleylittletheatre.com/chorleytheatre/index.php/event/552-cados-play

Editor's note: the theatre itself is absolutely adorable! Look:
http://www.chorleylittletheatre.com/chorleytheatre/images/ChorleyLittleTheatre1.jpg

* MORT IN BIRKENHEAD (APRIL 2018)

The Carlton Players will be staging Mort next April: "He gets board and
lodging and free use of company horse, and doesn't even need time off
for his grandmother's funeral..."

When: 24th–28th April 2018
Venue: The Little Theatre,  Grange Rd West, Birkenhead CH41 4BY
Time: 7.30pm all shows
Tickets: £8 (students and under-16s £6), available from
https://www.ticketsource.co.uk/venue/FEDIFI or by ringing the box office
on 0151 647 6593

https://www.carltonlittletheatre.co.uk/the-carlton-players/2017-18-season/mort/

* GUARDS! GUARDS! IN PLYMOUTH (MAY 2018)

City College Plymouth will be staging their production of Guards!
Guards! in May 2018.

When: 16th–18th May 2018
Venue: Tilt Theatre, Performing Arts, City College Plymouth, Plymouth
Time: 7.30pm all shows
Tickets: TBA

https://allevents.in/plymouth/guards-guards-by-terry-pratchett/1943260799295027

* MEN AT ARMS IN BRISBANE, FOURECKS (OCTOBER/NOVEMBER 2018)

It will be a bit of a wait, but the Brisbane Arts Centre's next
Discworld production – Men at Arms – is already looking good! All props
to Fourecks for keeping the Disc alive on stage: "Men at Arms is the
15th novel in Sir Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, a comic fantasy
universe with over 80 million books sold worldwide. Aficionados and
newcomers to the Disc will love this adaptation, brought to life by the
expertise of our Pratchett team."

When: 6th October through 3rd November 2018
Venue: Brisbane Arts Centre, 210 Petrie Terrace, Petrie Terrace (yes,
the suburb and the road share a name), Brisbane, Queensland 4000
Time: 7.30pm Thursdays, 8.00pm Fridays and Saturdays, 6.30pm Sundays.
"Doors close 5 minutes prior to performance. Late entry is not permitted."
Tickets: AU$34 ($28 concession or groups of 10 or more), available now
online at http://bit.ly/2zHKO5a – and there will be Student Rush tickets
priced at $15, available from the box office 15 minutes prior to curtain
on the dates

https://www.artstheatre.com.au/menatarms

* GOING POSTAL IN BRISTOL (DECEMBER 2018)

The Kelvin Players will be staging Going Postal in December 2018. Keep
an eye on their website: "Moist von Lipwig was a con artist, a fraud and
a man faced with a life choice: be hanged, or put Ankh-Morpork's ailing
postal service back on its feet. It was a tough decision. With the help
of a golem who has been at the bottom of hole in the ground for over two
hundred years, a pin fanatic and Junior Postman Groat, he's got to see
that the mail gets through. In taking on the evil chairman of the Grand
Trunk Semaphore Company, and a midnight killer, he's also got to stay
alive. Getting a date with Adora Bell Dearheart would be nice, too. In
the mad world of the mail, can a criminal succeed where honest men have
failed and died? Perhaps there's a shot at redemption for man who's
prepared to push the envelope..."

When: 5th–8th and 12th–15th December 2018
Venue: Kelvin Studios, 253B Gloucester Road, Bishopston, Bristol BS7 8NY
Time: 7.30pm all shows
Tickets: TBA

http://www.kelvinplayers.co.uk/coming-soon

4.3 REVIEWS

* LORDS AND LADIES IN NORWICH

By Viv Thomas in the Norwich Evening News:

"A group of talented youngsters have been casting a spell over sell-out
audiences at Stage Two in the past few days with a lively adaptation of
Terry Pratchett’s Lords and Ladies. What's not to like – good witches,
evil elves, royalty, rustics, morris dancing, sword fights – all
presented with lots of humour! A Midsummer Night's Dream is referenced
various times – but this story, adapted for the stage by Irana Brown,
takes some of those themes and mischievously takes them in a different
direction. There were great performances all round as the cast (some
portraying several characters) really got their teeth into comedic
parts, with the leads particularly assured and impressive. Mention must
also be made of the clever and extremely effective set, sound and
lighting effects..."

http://bit.ly/2l7ZeCD

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

05) DISCWORLD ARTS AND CRAFTS NEWS

"The Josh Kirby estate is excited to bring you a Limited Edition
sculpture of the long, lost Josh Kirby Greebo! We have partnered with
the incredible sculptor, Lyn Marie Neuenfeldt (of DobbyLyn Art Works),
to bring this Discworld treasure to you! The sculpture is based on this
image that was found in Josh's vast archives after he passed, so it was
never seen before, until we discovered it. Here's your exclusive, sneak
peek at the progress. Greebo has his eye on you! The pre-sale starts
next week and it's sure to sell out, so please keep an eye open for the
launch date to ensure you get a low number. Cheers!"

Note: there appears to be no findable link on any platform for
pre-ordering yet. Stay tuned... – Ed.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

06)  DISCWORLD MEETING GROUPS NEWS

The Broken Drummers, "London's Premier Unofficially Official Discworld
Group" (motto "Nil percussio est"), will be meeting next from 7pm on
Monday 8th January 2018 at the Monkey Puzzle, 30 Southwick Street,
London, W2 1JQ, a week later than usual due – presumably – to the
likelihood of New Year's Eve hangovers casting a pall over the first
Monday of the year... "We welcome anyone and everyone who enjoys Sir
Terry's works, or quite likes them or wants to find out more. We have
had many visitors from overseas who have enjoyed themselves and made new
friends. The discussions do not only concern the works of Sir Terry
Pratchett but wander and meander through other genres and authors and
also leaping to TV and Film production. We also find time for a quiz."

The Drummers have also taken up doing the odd afternoon meetup. For more
information, go to http://brokendrummers.org/ or email
BrokenDrummers at gmail.com or nicholls.helen at yahoo.co.uk

*

Canberra, Australia's Discworld fan group is Drumknott's Irregulars:
"The group is open to all, people from interstate and overseas are
welcome, and our events will not be heavily themed. Come along to dinner
for a chat and good company. We welcome people from all fandoms (and
none) and we would love to see you at one of our events, even if you're
just passing through. Please contact us via Facebook
(_https://www.facebook.com/groups/824987924250161/_) or Google Groups
(_https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/drumknotts-irregulars_) or
join us at our next event."

*

For Facebook users in Fourecks: The Victorian Discworld Klatch is "a
social group for fans of Discworld and Terry Pratchett... run by a
dedicated team who meet monthly and organise events monthly." "If you'd
like to join our events please ask to join the Klatch."

The Victorian Discworld Klatch will be holding a Hogswatch gathering in
January!

When: Sunday 7th January 2018
Venue: Marquee, Flagstaff near the Bowls Club, 9/311 William St,
Melbourne 3003
Time: 5.30 (ish) until...?

BYO everything. All Pratchett fans and potential Pratchett fans probably
welcome...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/VictorianDiscworldKlatch

*

"The Gathering of the Loonies (Wincanton chapter)" is a public Facebook
meeting group: "This group, by request of Jo in Bear will continue to be
used for future unofficial (not run by the Emporium) fan Gatherings in
Wincanton. Look here for information." Future events will include the
Did You Bring a Beer Along meeting (celebrating 20 years of The Last
Continent) in April 2018.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/373578522834654/

*

The Pratchett Partisans are a fan group who meet monthly at either
Brisbane or Indooroopilly to "eat, drink and chat about all things
Pratchett. We hold events such as Discworld dinners, games afternoons,
Discworld photo scavenger hunts. We also attend opening night at
Brisbane Arts Theatre's Discworld plays." The Partisans currently have
about 200 members who meet at least twice a month, usually in Brisbane.

For more info about their next meetup, join up at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/pratchettpartisans/ or contact Ula
directly at uwilmott at yahoo.com.au

*

The City of Small Gods is a group for fans in Adelaide and South
Australia: "We have an established Terry Pratchett & Discworld fan group
in Adelaide called The City of Small Gods, which is open to anyone who
would like to come – you don't have to live in Adelaide or even South
Australia, or even be a Discworld fan, but that's mostly where our
events will be held, and we do like discussing Pratchett's works. Our
(semi-) regular meetings are generally held on the last Thursday of the
month at a pub or restaurant in Adelaide. We have dinner at 6.30pm
followed by games until 9pm. The games are usually shorter games like
Pairs, Sushi Go, or Tiny Epic Defenders, with the occasional Werewolf
session, as these are the best sort of games that work in a pub setting.
Every few months, we have a full day's worth of board games at La Scala
Cafe, 169 Unley Rd, Unley in the function room starting at 10am. In
addition, we will occasionally have other events to go and see plays by
Unseen Theatre Company, book discussions, craft, chain maille or
costuming workshops or other fun social activities."

The next CoSG events will be a New Year's Day Movie outing (details TBC,
it says), and then the next Board Games Day at La Scala Cafe Unley on
21st January.

The CoSG also have another identity. Here's the skinny:

Round World Events SA Inc is a not-for-profit incorporated association
whose aim is to run fun social Pratchett-themed events for people in
South Australia. Our first major event was the Unseen University
Convivium held in July 2012. We have also run three successful and
booked out Science Fiction and Fantasy themed quiz nights named Quiz
Long And Prosper, in 2013, 2014 and 2015! We are also running the next
Australian Discworld Convention, Nullus Anxietas VI – The Discworld
Grand Tour – taking place in August 2017. You can find more out about it
on this very website (_http://ausdwcon.org/_)! The association will run
some events under the City of Small Gods banner, but you do not have to
be a Round World Events SA member to be part of City of Small Gods.
However, we are always on the look out for new members for Round World
Events SA to help us organise future events! Membership is $20 a year
(for Adelaide locals) or $5 a year (for those not quite so close) and
has the following benefits:

A shiny membership certificate all of your very own
Discounted entry price to some of the events we run
A warm, fuzzy feeling deep down in your chest (no, not quite that deep)
For more information, or to join as a member, please email
RoundWorldEventsSA at gmail.com

www.cityofsmallgods.org.au

*

The Broken Vectis Drummers meet next on Thursday 4th January 2018
(probably) from 7.30pm at The Castle pub in Newport, Isle of Wight. For
more info and any queries, contact broken_vectis_drummers at yahoo.co.uk

*

The Wincanton Omnian Temperance Society (WOTS) next meets on Friday 5th
January 2018 (probably) at Wincanton's famous Bear Inn from 7pm onwards.
"Visitors and drop-ins are always welcome!"

*

The Northern Institute of the Ankh-Morpork and District Society of
Flatalists, a Pratchett fangroup, has been meeting on a regular basis
since 2005. The Flatalists normally meet at The Narrowboat Pub in
Victoria Street, Skipton, North Yorkshire, to discuss "all things
Pratchett" as well as having quizzes and raffles. Details of future
meetings are posted on the Events section of the Discworld Stamps forum:

http://www.discworldstamps.co.uk/forum/

*

Sydney Drummers (formerly Drummers Downunder) would normally meet next
on Monday 1st January 2018 at 6.30pm in Sydney at 3 Wise Monkeys, 555
George Street, Sydney 2000 – but do check, in case of hangovers (see
Broken Drummers, above). For more information, contact Sue (aka Granny
Weatherwax): kenworthys at yahoo.co.uk

*

The Treacle Mining Corporation, formerly known as Perth Drummers, should
meet next on Monday 1st January 2018 from 5.30pm at Carpe Cafe, 526
Murray Street, Perth, Western Australia  – but do check, in case of
hangovers (see Broken Drummers, above). For details follow Perth
Drummers on Twitter @Perth_Drummers or join their Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Perth.Drummers/ – or message Alexandra
Ware directly at <alexandra.ware at gmail.com>

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

07) IMAGES OF THE MONTH

Jon Hamm as Good Omen's Angel Gabriel: http://bit.ly/2jBJS7F

Michael McKean as Shadwell: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bcwmy6ZFL8I/

Salisbury's Spire FM has posted a photo of a very special pillarbox at
the Terry Pratchett: HisWorld exhibition:
https://cml.sad.ukrd.com/image/631941-500x666.jpg

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

08) CLOSE

Here be an appropriate seasonal action replay to take you into the new
year: Crowley and Aziraphale's New Year's resolutions, originally
published in 2005, courtesy of Neil Gaiman: http://bit.ly/2AiuOpp

...and that's it for 2017. Take care, and we'll see you next month...
and next year!

– Annie Mac

This issue can be viewed on the clacks at
https://wossname.dreamwidth.org/61046.html

The End. If you have any questions or requests, write: wossname-owner
(at) pearwood (dot) info