Wossname -- September 2018 -- main issue

News and reviews about the works of Sir Terry Pratchett wossname at pearwood.info
Sun Sep 30 14:19:37 AEST 2018

Wossname
September 2018 (Volume 21, Issue 9, Post 1)

WOSSNAME is a free publication offering news, reviews, and all the other
stuff-that-fits pertaining to the works of Sir Terry Pratchett.
Originally founded by the late, great Joe Schaumburger for members of
the worldwide Klatchian Foreign Legion and its affiliates, including the
North American Discworld Society and other continental groups, Wossname
is now for Discworld and Pratchett fans everywhere in Roundworld.

Editor in Chief: Annie Mac
News Editor: Vera P
Newshounds: Mogg, Sir J of Croydon Below, the Shadow, Mss C, Alison not
Aliss
Staff Writers: Asti, Pitt the Elder, Evil Steven Dread, Mrs Wynn-Jones
Staff Technomancer: Jason Parlevliet
Book Reviews: Annie Mac, Drusilla D'Afanguin, Your Name Here
Puzzle Editor: Tiff (still out there somewhere)
Emergency Staff: Steven D'Aprano, Jason Parlevliet
World Membership Director: Steven D'Aprano (in his copious spare time)

01) EDITOR'S LETTER
02) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS
03) DISCWORLD MEETING GROUPS NEWS
04) CLOSE

01) A LETTER FROM YOUR EDITOR: STRANGE DAYS

It's not often that Wossname's editorials have a title, and even less
often that I share personal information here, but this time it's
relevant. The reason this month's issue is coming out at the eleventh
hour and in an extremely truncated form, is that things got a bit, er,
medical in our household a few months ago and then got rather more
medical several weeks ago. So while Wossname's email admin, who also
happens to be my better half, was in hospital and my own health was
exceptionally poor, not much got done on the newsgathering or
article-processing fronts. He's now been discharged and we are coping
with the aid of home nurse visits, but life is still rather at sixes and
sevens and I decided that a short September issue would be better than
none at all. So here it is.

Several planned articles or essays (Odds and Sods, Around the
Blogosphere, Roundworld Tales) will come at a later date, but I'm
including one item of note here: the excellent and wonderfully
enthusiastic Loulou Baylis of Penguin Books wrote to Wossname with the
following: "I’m contacting you on behalf of Penguin Random House and
came across your fantastic publication. I noticed that you offer a
roundup of the latest news, reviews and other Sir Terry
Pratchett-related scribblings. We’ve just written a Terry Pratchett
article: '6 Lessons your child will learn from Terry Pratchett books
(_https://www.penguin.co.uk/puffin/articles/2018/aug/6-lessons-from-terry-pratchett-books/_)'
that includes the likes of the team at the Discworld Emporium and actor
Sir David Jason explaining what reading Terry has taught them both
professionally and personally over the years. It's been getting some
lovely responses so far and I thought this might be something that you'd
like to include in your next publication?"

Absolutely, Ms Baylis! And here's hoping that your enthusiasm will
inspire more people in the publishing industry to take a personal
interest in their authors. So do go have a shufti at the page, O Readers!

And now, on with a (very) short version of the (usual) show...

– Annie Mac, Editor

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

02) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS

Editor's note: as Wossname normally only comes out once every month, do
check the Wossname blog for information on plays that might fall between
issue dates! Go to https://wossname.dreamwidth.org/ for interim updates.

* ERIC IN ADELAIDE (OCTOBER)

Unseen Theatre's ever-ongoing Discworld season (now in its 19th year,
and rightly so!) returns in October with Eric! "An hilarious romp
through space, time, history and the torture chambers of Hell. Eric has
been described as 'the Discworld's only demonology hacker', but all he
really wants is three wishes. That sounds simple enough, right? No, this
is not your favourite fairytale from your childhood. Far from it. Well,
maybe not that far……..just as far as the Discworld where demons,
wizards, hell-hounds, hostile travel accessories, and more demons,
thinly disguised as public servants with a penchant for excessive
amounts of stationery and memos, are real..."

When: 5th–6th, 10th–13th and 18th–20th October 2018. Preview night is
5th October; opening night is 6th October.
Venue: the Bakehouse Theatre, 255 Angas Street, Adelaide, South Australia
Time: 7.30pm all shows
Tickets: $22 Adult, $18 Concession, $16 Groups of 6+ (also Previews and
Fringe Members), available from https://www.trybooking.com/413146
("Members of the Media – please book your tickets for Opening Night with
the usual code")

http://unseen.com.au/

* MEN AT ARMS IN BRISBANE, FOURECKS (OCTOBER/NOVEMBER)

The Brisbane Arts Centre's next Discworld production is Men at Arms! All
props to Fourecks for keeping the Disc alive on stage: "Men at Arms is
the 15th novel in Sir Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, a comic
fantasy universe with over 80 million books sold worldwide. Aficionados
and newcomers to the Disc will love this adaptation, brought to life by
the expertise of our Pratchett team."

When: 6th October through 3rd November 2018
Venue: Brisbane Arts Centre, 210 Petrie Terrace, Petrie Terrace (yes,
the suburb and the road share a name), Brisbane, Queensland 4000
Time: 7.30pm Thursdays, 8pm Fridays and Saturdays, 6.30pm Sundays.
"Doors close 5 minutes prior to performance. Late entry is not permitted."
Tickets: AU$34 ($28 concession or groups of 10 or more), available now
online at http://bit.ly/2zHKO5a – and there will be Student Rush tickets
priced at $15, available from the box office 15 minutes prior to curtain
on the dates.

https://www.artstheatre.com.au/menatarms

* HOGFATHER IN ABINGDON (NOVEMBER)

The Studio Theatre Club's next Discworld production will be Hogfather! –
or as they say it, "another of our world Premiere Terry Pratchett shows,
dramatised by Terry's friend, Stephen Briggs". This is a change from the
previously announced staging of The Science of Discworld: Judgement Day.

When: 14th–17th November 2018
Venue: the Unicorn Theatre, Medieval Abbey Buildings, Checker Walk,
Abingdon, Oxon OX14 3JB
Time: 7.30pm all evening shows; 2.30pm matinee on Saturday 17th November
Tickets: £12, available online from 1st August by post (see
_http://www.studiotheatreclub.com/ordering-tickets_) or online via
http://www.wegottickets.com/StudioTheatre (note that there is a 10%
booking charge). "If you're booking for one of the weekend performances
(Friday or Saturday evening, Saturday matinee), please give a second and
third choice, as these performances are expected to sell out really
quickly. Orders by mail received before the box office opens will be
left unopened until 1 August."

http://www.studiotheatreclub.com/whats-next

* GOING POSTAL IN BRISTOL (DECEMBER)

The Kelvin Players will be staging Going Postal in December 2018. Keep
an eye on their website: "Moist von Lipwig was a con artist, a fraud and
a man faced with a life choice: be hanged, or put Ankh-Morpork's ailing
postal service back on its feet. It was a tough decision. With the help
of a golem who has been at the bottom of hole in the ground for over two
hundred years, a pin fanatic and Junior Postman Groat, he's got to see
that the mail gets through. In taking on the evil chairman of the Grand
Trunk Semaphore Company, and a midnight killer, he's also got to stay
alive. Getting a date with Adora Bell Dearheart would be nice, too. In
the mad world of the mail, can a criminal succeed where honest men have
failed and died? Perhaps there's a shot at redemption for man who's
prepared to push the envelope..."

When: 5th–8th and 12th–15th December 2018
Venue: Kelvin Studio, 253B Gloucester Road, Bishopston, Bristol BS7 8NY
Time: 7.30pm all shows
Tickets: TBA

http://www.kelvinplayers.co.uk/coming-soon

* AWARDS FOR WYRD SISTERS ACTORS

By Duncan Rieder for the Rhyl Journal:

"The Rhyl Liberty Players scooped four awards at the Clwyd Full Length
Drama Festival with their 2017 production of Terry Pratchett’s Wyrd
Sisters and their three-night run of John Osborne’s The Entertainer,
which was staged in June... Liberty Players’ George Kelly won the award
for best actor and fellow member Liz Hughes the award of best actress
for The Entertainer. There was also as a best supporting actor triumph
for Steve Barraclough, for his performance in Wyrd Sisters, directed by
Martin Gorst..."

http://www.rhyljournal.co.uk/news/16885526.rhyl-liberty-players-clean-up-with-best-actor-actress-and-outstanding-show-awards/

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

03) DISCWORLD MEETING GROUPS NEWS

The Sir Terry Pratchett Book Club at Waterstones Leeds meets on the
first Tuesday of each month at 6pm in the Cafe W coffee shop (in
Waterstones), to discuss a Pratchett book. "Join us for the most
fabulous Book Club in Leeds. Each month we come together to discuss the
splendid novels of Sir Terry Pratchett. We are a very friendly group and
new people are always welcome!"

The next meeting of the Sir Terry Pratchett Book Club will be on Tuesday
2nd October at 6pm at Waterstones, 93-97 Albion Street, Leeds LS1 5JS.
(phone 0113 244 4588). The October book under discussion will be
Truckers, "a wonderful novel, suitable for all ages, in which we meet
the Nomes".

*

The Broken Drummers, "London's Premier Unofficially Official Discworld
Group" (motto "Nil percussio est"), will be meeting on Monday 1st
October from 7pm at the Monkey Puzzle, 30 Southwick Street, London, W2
1JQ. "We welcome anyone and everyone who enjoys Sir Terry's works, or
quite likes them or wants to find out more. We have had many visitors
from overseas who have enjoyed themselves and made new friends. The
discussions do not only concern the works of Sir Terry Pratchett but
wander and meander through other genres and authors and also leaping to
TV and Film production. We also find time for a quiz."

The Drummers' September meet report: "We met Monday night. The quiz was
done by new member Ed. I must commend him for his dedication to the task
of quiz master. He asked me for advice beforehand and appeared to have
spent some time crafting it. I had said that prizes were optional so Ed
decided to buy the winner a drink. Then he decided that we would play in
pairs, thus doubling his costs. Alex G. and I won on a tie-break. Which
of us does the next one has not been decided. Ed seemed keen to assess
the geekiness of the group. He concluded that we did look quite geeky
but had expected more beards. I gather that he was given instructions by
my husband that he had to watch Quatermass and the Pit (the original BBC
version although the Hammer Horror one is pretty good) and a range of
other geek things. Mahrie was trying to remember when she last came. I
suggested it would probably be in the meeting report, usually with
reference to gruesome medieval events. That got us talking about my
impending visit to Pembroke, where Henry Tudor was born. Mahrie noted
that while we were back to the Wars of the Roses, our conversation was
not very bloodthirsty. I told her about something I had been reading
about the murder of King Edward II, who allegedly had a red hot poker
shoved up his bottom. That was more like it. I spent some time
recruiting Sarah to Wincanton events and at one point recall re-enacting
the Pontius Pilate "Biggus Dickus" scene from Life of Brian (using Alex
as the the Roman soldier trying not to laugh). That led to a discussion
of crucifixion, where Ed was shocked by my depth of knowledge on the
technical points. Next meeting is Monday 1st October. I hope to see you
there."

To read the entire report as a Twitter thread, go to:
https://twitter.com/BrokenDrummers/status/1037650766318788608

For more information, email BrokenDrummers at gmail.com or
nicholls.helen at yahoo.co.uk or join their Facebook group at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/55107511411/permalink/10156634038566412/

*

Canberra, Australia's Discworld fan group is Drumknott's Irregulars:
"The group is open to all, people from interstate and overseas are
welcome, and our events will not be heavily themed. Come along to dinner
for a chat and good company. We welcome people from all fandoms (and
none) and we would love to see you at one of our events, even if you're
just passing through. Please contact us via Facebook
(_https://www.facebook.com/groups/824987924250161/_) or Google Groups
(_https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/drumknotts-irregulars_) or
join us at our next event."

*

For Facebook users in Fourecks: The Victorian Discworld Klatch is "a
social group for fans of Discworld and Terry Pratchett... run by a
dedicated team who meet monthly and organise events monthly." "If you'd
like to join our events please ask to join the Klatch."

https://www.facebook.com/groups/VictorianDiscworldKlatch

*

"The Gathering of the Loonies (Wincanton chapter)" is a public Facebook
meeting group: "This group, by request of Jo in Bear will continue to be
used for future unofficial (not run by the Emporium) fan Gatherings in
Wincanton. Look here for information."

https://www.facebook.com/groups/373578522834654/

*

The Pratchett Partisans are a fan group who meet monthly at either
Brisbane or Indooroopilly to "eat, drink and chat about all things
Pratchett. We hold events such as Discworld dinners, games afternoons,
Discworld photo scavenger hunts. We also attend opening night at
Brisbane Arts Theatre's Discworld plays." The Partisans currently have
about 200 members who meet at least twice a month, usually in Brisbane.

For more info about their next meetup, join up at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/pratchettpartisans/ or contact Ula
directly at uwilmott at yahoo.com.au

*

The City of Small Gods is a group for fans in Adelaide and South
Australia: "We have an established Terry Pratchett & Discworld fan group
in Adelaide called The City of Small Gods, which is open to anyone who
would like to come – you don't have to live in Adelaide or even South
Australia, or even be a Discworld fan, but that's mostly where our
events will be held, and we do like discussing Pratchett's works. Our
(semi-) regular meetings are generally held on the last Thursday of the
month at a pub or restaurant in Adelaide. We have dinner at 6.30pm
followed by games until 9pm. Every few months, we have a full day's
worth of board games at La Scala Cafe, 169 Unley Rd, Unley in the
function room starting at 10am. In addition, we will occasionally have
other events to go and see plays by Unseen Theatre Company, book
discussions, craft, chain maille or costuming workshops or other fun
social activities."

The next CoSG events will be a Board Games Day at La Scala Cafe on
Sunday 7th October; a group outing to Unseen Theatre's new production of
Eric on 10th October; a Book Discussion (Pyramids) on 13th October; and
the monthly dinner on Thursday 25th October at the Seven Stars Hotel,
187 Angas Street, Adelaide (08) 8223 6879/(08) 8224 0003. A busy month
for Pratchett fans in Adelaide!

The CoSG also have another identity. Here's the skinny:

Round World Events SA Inc is a not-for-profit incorporated association
whose aim is to run fun social Pratchett-themed events for people in
South Australia. Our first major event was the Unseen University
Convivium held in July 2012. We have also run three successful and
booked out Science Fiction and Fantasy themed quiz nights named Quiz
Long And Prosper, in 2013, 2014 and 2015! The association will run some
events under the City of Small Gods banner, but you do not have to be a
Round World Events SA member to be part of City of Small Gods. However,
we are always on the look out for new members for Round World Events SA
to help us organise future events! Membership is $20 a year (for
Adelaide locals) or $5 a year (for those not quite so close) and has the
following benefits:

A shiny membership certificate all of your very own
Discounted entry price to some of the events we run
A warm, fuzzy feeling deep down in your chest (no, not quite that deep)
For more information, or to join as a member, please email
RoundWorldEventsSA at gmail.com

www.cityofsmallgods.org.au

*

The Broken Vectis Drummers meet next on Thursday 4th October (probably)
from 7.30pm at The Castle pub in Newport, Isle of Wight. For more info
and any queries, contact broken_vectis_drummers at yahoo.co.uk

*

The Wincanton Omnian Temperance Society (WOTS) next meets on Friday 5th
October (possibly) at Wincanton's famous Bear Inn from 7pm onwards.
"Visitors and drop-ins are always welcome!"

*

The Northern Institute of the Ankh-Morpork and District Society of
Flatalists, a Pratchett fangroup, has been meeting on a regular basis
since 2005. The Flatalists normally meet at The Narrowboat Pub in
Victoria Street, Skipton, North Yorkshire, to discuss "all things
Pratchett" as well as having quizzes and raffles. Details of future
meetings are posted on the Events section of the Discworld Stamps forum:

http://www.discworldstamps.co.uk/forum/

*

Sydney Drummers (formerly Drummers Downunder) meet next on Monday 1st
October (possibly) at 6.30pm in Sydney at 3 Wise Monkeys, 555 George
Street, Sydney 2000. For more information, contact Sue (aka Granny
Weatherwax): kenworthys at yahoo.co.uk

*

The Treacle Mining Corporation, formerly known as Perth Drummers, meet
next on Monday 1st October (possibly) from 5.30pm at Carpe Cafe, 526
Murray Street, Perth, Western Australia. For details follow Perth
Drummers on Twitter @Perth_Drummers or join their Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Perth.Drummers/ – or message Alexandra
Ware directly at <alexandra.ware at gmail.com>

04) CLOSE

And that's it for September. Take care, and we'll see you in a few
weeks... I hope!

– Annie Mac

This issue can be viewed on the clacks at
https://wossname.dreamwidth.org/66482.html

The End. If you have any questions or requests, write: wossname-owner
(at) pearwood (dot) info