Wossname -- November 2018 -- Main issue

News and reviews about the works of Sir Terry Pratchett wossname at pearwood.info
Tue Nov 27 10:39:01 AEDT 2018

Wossname
November 2018 (Volume 21, Issue 11, Post 1)

WOSSNAME is a free publication offering news, reviews, and all the other
stuff-that-fits pertaining to the works of Sir Terry Pratchett.
Originally founded by the late, great Joe Schaumburger for members of
the worldwide Klatchian Foreign Legion and its affiliates, including the
North American Discworld Society and other continental groups, Wossname
is now for Discworld and Pratchett fans everywhere in Roundworld.

Editor in Chief: Annie Mac
News Editor: Vera P
Newshounds: Mogg, Sir J of Croydon Below, the Shadow, Mss C, Alison not
Aliss
Staff Writers: Asti, Pitt the Elder, Evil Steven Dread, Mrs Wynn-Jones
Staff Technomancer: Jason Parlevliet
Book Reviews: Annie Mac, Drusilla D'Afanguin, Your Name Here
Puzzle Editor: Tiff (still out there somewhere)
Emergency Staff: Steven D'Aprano, Jason Parlevliet
World Membership Director: Steven D'Aprano (in his copious spare time)

01) QUOTES OF THE MONTH
02) EDITOR'S LETTER
03) ODDS AND SODS
04) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS
05) DISCWORLD MEETING GROUPS NEWS
06) AROUND THE BLOGOSPHERE
07) ROUNDWORLD TALES: FOODS OF THE FEEGLES
08) IMAGES OF THE MONTH
09) CLOSE

01) QUOTES OF THE MONTH

"Totally delighted our raffle for cast-signed HOGFATHER scripts raised
an amazing  £450 for @alzheimerssoc in memory of Terry" – as tweeted by
Abingdon's Studio Theatre Club after their world premiere of Stephen
Briggs' recent adaptation of Hogfather

"Here's a woman who protects herself because men don't see why she needs
to. Here's a woman who needs no man. But might quite like one, anyway."
– blogger The English Student's fine summation of Adora Belle
Dearheart's character

"Terry Pratchett stirs the spaces and thoughts within you and gently
disturbs the rhythm of the world. He spins words around and tangles
phrases. In a way, the fantasy story he creates transcends the genre to
become real."
– blogger Wide Eyes also shows a fine turn of praise-phrase

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

02) A LETTER FROM YOUR EDITOR

For most of my life so far, I've preferred genre films and telly to
"straight" dramas, on the ground that life itself is dramatic enough.
And in the Age of the Clacks, I've sometimes been completely surprised
to find that a particular film or episode was quite the opposite of what
synopses, reviews or outright spoilage led me to expect – almost always
in the "x was so much better than I expected!" sense. For instance, some
years ago I missed an episode of Angel called Smile Time, so I found the
entire shooting script online, read it, and thought "Eww, no way do I
*ever* want to see that one!"... only to find out some time later, on
finally seeing it, that it was for me one of the best of the entire
five-year series.... and then there's Thor Ragnarok: I was so put off by
the trailers that I almost declined to be taken to see it – and lo, it
was a non-stop gigglefest and possibly the best of all the 21st century
superhero cinema.

So what is the point of these observations? Why, it's that having read
Narrativia's official announcement of The Watch going forward into
production, I am very, very conflicted, because the tone of that
announcement makes it feel, to me at least, not unlike the horrors that
Hollywood wanted to visit upon Mort when The Author sold the film rights
(and oh so fortunately got them back again). A "punk rock thriller"?
"...startlingly reimagined"? And most disturbing of the lot, Cheery
described as "non-binary"? For Io's sake, the whole point of dwarf
sexuality is that it's culturally non-binary in public and Cheery's
activism is all about insisting on being recognised publicly as a female
of her species!

And yet, and yet... I so, so, so want The Watch to work. I want it to
work for us millions of Discworld fans but also to be engaging enough to
draw in and hook many other millions of potential fans who have yet to
read the source material. I remember well how some Tolkien purists
objected to Team Jackson's interpretation of the Lord of the Rings and
Hobbit stories, but the very fact that the team pursued their own vision
with passion and supreme expertise is what made those films some of the
most successful in cinema history while still getting the stories
across, even if there were changes from the text versions. Discworld
deserves no less. And BBC America's history, again in my opinion (hello,
this *is* an editorial after all!), is not promising. Look what they did
to Torchwood. Look how they've been helping to drive Doctor Who ever
further away from its in-the-bone Britishness. At least the
Amazon/BBC-not-America production of Good Omens claims to have gone to
great lengths to retain the essential Englishness of the book.

Still... one can hope, right?

...all right, I'm hoping.

And now, on with the show...

– Annie Mac, Editor

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

03) ODDS AND SODS

Just a few reminders this month... and some Hogswatch merch!

3.1 REMINDER: DISCWORLD AND BEYOND EXHIBIT

After Paul Kidby's Discworld and Beyond exhibit finishes at the Chapel
Gallery in Ormskirk, it will move in mid-December to the North
Hertfordshire Museum.

Currently...

When: now through 1st December 2018
Venue: Chapel Gallery, St Helens Road, Ormskirk, Lancashire, L39 4QR
(phone 01695 571 328, email chapel.gallery at westlancs.gov.uk)
Time: 10am–4.30pm Tuesdays–Saturdays (closed Monday, Sunday & all Bank
Holidays)
Tickets: free admission; there is also disabled access.

https://www.paulkidby.com/event/discworld-beyond-5/

...and then...

When: 15th December 2018–February 2019 (finishing date TBC)
Venue: North Hertfordshire Museum, Brand Street, Hitchin SG5 1JE (phone
01462 474554)
Times: 10.30 am–4.30 pm
Tickets: free admission

http://www.northhertsmuseum.org/contact-us/

3.2 REMINDER: THE WATCH IS FINALLY ON ITS WAY

That Narrativia announcement again:

"The Watch is a punk rock thriller inspired by the legendary 'City
Watch' subset of 'Discworld' novels. This disruptive, character-driven
thriller centers on Terry Pratchett's misfit cops as they fight to save
a ramshackle city of normalized wrongness, from both the past and future
in a perilous quest. Modern and inclusive, The Watch features many
famous 'Discworld' creations including City Watch Captain Sam Vimes, the
last scion of nobility Lady Sybil Ramkin, the naive but heroic Carrot,
the mysterious Angua and the ingenious non-binary forensics expert
Cheery together with Terry Pratchett's iconic characterization of
Death... 'The Watch has been startlingly reimagined for television by
writer Simon Allen, while still cleaving to the humor, heart and
ingenuity of Terry Pratchett's incomparably original work,' commented
BBC America President, Sarah Barnett. 'BBC America embraces what's fresh
and exhilarating in TV; we believe The Watch will astonish audiences.' ..."

The full announcement lives here: http://narrativia.com/watch.html

3.3 REMINDER: THE GOOD OMENS TRAILER

Well worth watching again and again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZSXlNRRoGU

3.4 IT'S THAT TIME OF THE YEAR AGAIN...

...for presents! And here are a few ideas...

* Ookplates!

A set of ten traditional illustrated bookplates featuring favourite
characters from Terry Pratchett's Discworld including Death, The
Librarian, Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg, Rincewind, Sam Vimes, Vetinari
& the Luggage!!

Each set it priced at £8.50. For more information, and to order, go to:
https://www.discworldemporium.com/books/490-discworld-ookplates

* Feegle Feet socks!

"CRIVENS!! Walk the Chalk like the Nac Mac Feegle with this
fantastically fun literary footwear feet-uring the unmistakable
appendages of Terry Pratchett's pesky pictsies!"

Each pair of Feegle Feet is priced at £6.50. For more information, and
to order, go to:
https://www.discworldemporium.com/clothing/503-discworld-socks-feegle-feet

Worth noting: pairs of other Discworld-themed socks are also available,
including Wizzard, Assassins' Guild, L-Space, Death, and A'Tuin. On
offer is a special deal – buy three pairs of any of these (including
Feegle Feet of course!) for £15! – Ed.

* The Mended Drum t-shirt!

You survived the Mended Drum, and all you got was this lovely  T- Shirt!
Wear the thrills and spills of Ankh-Morpork's notorious tavern on your
sleeve, quite literally, with our exclusive Discworld tee - a souvenir
from a local boozer that is truly out of this world!

Each Mended drum t-shirt is priced at £15. For more information, and to
order, go to:
https://www.discworldemporium.com/clothing/510-the-mended-drum-t-shirt

* The UU Library jigsaw puzzle!

"The Great Library at Unseen University, as you've never 'Unseen' it
before! See the most magical library in the multiverse unfold before
your eyes with our exclusive 1000 piece Discworld jigsaw puzzle,
featuring an astonishing illustration to make any booklover go wobbly at
the knees - Ook!"

The UU jigsaw puzzle is priced at £19.50. For more information, and to
order, go to:
https://www.discworldemporium.com/games-toys/407-unseen-university-library-jigsaw-puzzle

Also available is the beautifully Gothic Death's Study jigsaw puzzle,
also priced at £19.50. For more information, and to order, go to:
https://www.discworldemporium.com/games-toys/491-death-s-study-jigsaw-puzzle

Also, up at the pricier end...

* The Imaginarium of Professor Pratchett II!

 From Paul Kidby, "An exclusive collectors print featuring Paul Kidby’s
iconic 2018 portrait of Terry Pratchett, as seen on the book jacket of
Terry Pratchett HisWorld, the Official Exhibition Companion. Each print
is hand signed and numbered and the edition is limited to 2000 copies
worldwide. Printed on 350gm silk paper. Dimensions 490 x 350mm. Prints
are despatched rolled in acid free tissue in a postal tube."

Each print is priced at £40. For more information, and to order, go to:
https://shop.paulkidby.com/the-imaginarium-of-professor-pratchett-ii/

* The DEATH WITH KITTEN figurine!

"Add a touch of Death to your bookshelf with our official Discworld
figurine featuring Terry Pratchett's enigmatic Grim Reaper, produced in
our signature bronze finish!"

Each DEATH WITH KITTEN figurine is priced at £50. For more information,
and to order, go to:
https://www.discworldemporium.com/home-hearth/518-death-with-kitten-figurine

And pricier yet, but so worth it – Your Editor received one of these a
few weeks ago as a birthday present and can confirm that it is magnificent:

* Terry Pratchett's Discworld Imaginarium Special Limited Slipcase Edition!

"Featuring the very best of Paul Kidby’s Discworld illustrations, this
definitive volume includes 40 pieces of never before seen art, including
preliminary drawings, 30 pieces that have only appeared in foreign
editions, limited editions and Book Club editions and 17 book cover
illustrations, since 2004, shown without cover text. This Special
Edition features an alternative cover design and has a signature page
with a new piece of artwork exclusively produced for this version. It
includes a specially designed slipcase, metallic page edgings and marker
ribbon. All copies signed and numbered by Paul Kidby."

Each Imaginarium Slipcase Edition is priced at £82. For more
information, and to order, go to:
https://shop.paulkidby.com/terry-pratchetts-discworld-imaginarium-special-limited-slip-case-edition-of-2000/

Also available but at a lower price (same art, less exquisite packaging)
is the standard Imaginarium, priced at £42.  For more information, and
to order, go to:
https://shop.paulkidby.com/terry-pratchetts-discworld-imaginarium/

And after the presents and the meal, it will be time for the games. Some
appropriate Hogswatch games, better by far than Charades or Deformed Rabbit…

* Clacks!

There are still a few copies of Backspindle Games' famous board game,
priced at £29. For more information, and to order, go to:
https://www.discworldemporium.com/games-activities/231-clacks-a-discworld-board-game

* The Discworld Roleplaying Game!

"Create your own Discworld Story and collaborate with friends to create
detailed characters and unique adventures! Steve Jackson's table-top RPG
is back, with a brand-new Discworld magic system, things from the
Dungeon Dimensions ...and a thousand elephants!"

Each Discworld Roleplaying game is priced at £34.99. For more
information, and to order, go to:
https://www.discworldemporium.com/games-toys/348-discworld-roleplaying-game

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

04) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS

Editor's note: as Wossname normally only comes out once every month, do
check the Wossname blog for information on plays that might fall between
issue dates! Go to https://wossname.dreamwidth.org/ for interim updates.

4.1 PLAYS TO COME

* GUARDS! GUARDS! IN BIRMINGHAM (NOVEMBER)

The "amateur yet spirited" Luke Players will stage their production of
Guards! Guards! starting next weekend! "Terry Pratchett's infamous city
of Ankh-Morpork is under threat from a 60-foot fire-breathing dragon,
summoned by a secret society of malcontented tradesmen. Defending
Ankh-Morpork against this threat is the entire, underpaid, undervalued
City Night Watch and their newest recruit, Lance Constable Carrot, who
is upright, literal, law-abiding and keen. Aiding them in their fight
for truth, justice and the Ankh-Morporkian way are a small swamp dragon
and the Librarian of Unseen University (who just happens to be an
orang-utan)."

When: 29th November through 1st December 2018
Venue: Midlands Arts Centre, Cannon Hill Park, Birmingham, B12 9QH (Box
Office and enquiries: 0121 446 3232)
Time: 7.30pm all evening shows; 2.30pm matinee on 1st December
Tickets: £7 - £9, available online by going to
https://macbirmingham.co.uk/event/guards-guards and clicking on the
desired date and show

https://macbirmingham.co.uk/event/guards-guards

* GOING POSTAL IN BRISTOL (DECEMBER)

The Kelvin Players will be staging Going Postal in December! "Moist von
Lipwig was a con artist, a fraud and a man faced with a life choice: be
hanged, or put Ankh-Morpork's ailing postal service back on its feet. It
was a tough decision. With the help of a golem who has been at the
bottom of hole in the ground for over two hundred years, a pin fanatic
and Junior Postman Groat, he's got to see that the mail gets through. In
taking on the evil chairman of the Grand Trunk Semaphore Company, and a
midnight killer, he's also got to stay alive. Getting a date with Adora
Bell Dearheart would be nice, too. In the mad world of the mail, can a
criminal succeed where honest men have failed and died? Perhaps there's
a shot at redemption for man who's prepared to push the envelope..."

When: 5th–8th and 12th–15th December 2018
Venue: Kelvin Studio, 253B Gloucester Road, Bishopston, Bristol BS7 8NY
Time: 7.30pm all shows
Tickets: £10 and £12, available online from
https://www.ticketsource.co.uk/whats-on/bristol/kelvin-players-theatre/going-postal-by-terry-pratchett-and-stephen-briggs

https://www.kelvinplayers.co.uk/current-production

* CARPE JUGULUM IN YORK (MARCH 2019)

After their success with staging Mort in 2016 and Wyrd Sisters last
year, We Are Theatre are doing Discworld again. This time it's Carpe
Jugulum!

When: 5th and 6th March 2019
Venue: Tap Room, York Brewery, 12 Toft Green, York YO16JT UK
Time: 7pm all shows
Tickets: £12, pre-bookable by ringing the Box Office on 07521 364107 or
via email: wearetheatre at googlemail.com

http://www.wearetheatre.co.uk/upcoming-productions.html

* MASKERADE IN WEST SUSSEX (MARCH 2019)

Ifield Barn will be back with another Discworld play next March! Sounds
like a wonderfully Discly setting: "The theatre was created from a group
of agricultural buildings and consist of a 700 year old tithe barn which
now forms the auditorium and dressing rooms, a former Granary which
serves as a kitchen and stables which have been converted to an
exhibition room and workshops. All three buildings have been linked by a
modern addition tastefully integrated to form the foyer and theatre bar.
Due to some inspired fund-raising by members many improvements have been
made to the theatre."

When: 6th–9th March 2019
Venue: Ifield Barn Arts Centre, Ifield Street, Ifield, West Sussex. RH11 0NN
Time: 8pm all evening shows; matinee 9th March 3pm
Tickets: £10 (£8 for members and children), available online at
http://www.ticketsource.co.uk/ifieldbarntheatre or by post or in person
at the venue

http://www.ifieldbarn.co.uk/coming-soon.html

* WYRD SISTERS IN GLOUCESTERSHIRE (MARCH 2019)

TADS (Tewkesbury Arts and Drama Society) will be staging their
production of Wyrd Sisters next March!

When: 23rd–24th March 2019
Venue: the Roses Theatre, Sun Street, Tewkesbury, Glos GL20 5NX
Time: TBA
Tickets: £14, available from the Roses Theatre Box Office at
http://www.rosestheatre.org/

If you want to participate in the production, rehearsals are being held
on Monday evenings at Tewkesbury Town Hall.

http://www.tads.org.uk/index.html

4.2 REVIEWS

* MEN AT ARMS IN BRISBANE, FOURECKS

By William Davies on Stage Whispers:

"The difficulty in a dramatic interpretation of a Pratchett novel is to
present the play so that the long, complicated storyline is absorbing to
all in the audience, not just the Pratchett fans.  Unfortunately it was
not always the case in this production. Sally Daly, who first directed
this play in 2001, has made good use of a cast that improved markedly as
the play progressed, excellent costuming and use of stage. At times the
pace could have been improved but she had our attention for the night.
Outstanding was John Grey as Havelock Vetinari, while David Robinson, as
Corporal Carrot, stood out as the inspirer of justice. His portrayal was
even better in Act 2 when he had more consistent stage time. Daniel Grey
(Captain Sam Vines), was clear in his role while Sasha Barclay, John
O'Connor and Amanda Lay brought strength to their characters. The Arts
Theatre has developed a following of Pratchett readers..."

http://www.stagewhispers.com.au/reviews/men-arms

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

05) DISCWORLD MEETING GROUPS NEWS

The Broken Drummers, "London's Premier Unofficially Official Discworld
Group" (motto "Nil percussio est"), will next meet on Monday 3rd
December for the Broken Drummers' 2018 Christmas party from 7pm at the
Monkey Puzzle, 30 Southwick Street, London, W2 1JQ. "We welcome anyone
and everyone who enjoys Sir Terry's works, or quite likes them or wants
to find out more. We have had many visitors from overseas who have
enjoyed themselves and made new friends. The discussions do not only
concern the works of Sir Terry Pratchett but wander and meander through
other genres and authors and also leaping to TV and Film production. We
also find time for a quiz."

The Drummers' November meet report, by Helen:

"It was a small group of us that met on 5th November. Either you were
all watching fireworks or you're saving yourselves for the Christmas
party. However, me, Andrew, Marina, Sarah and Pete made it so the group
was small but perfectly formed. Since I had done a special quiz on
treason to mark Bonfire night, we went ahead despite having just three
contestants (Andrew was barred as I tested the questions on him
earlier). Marina emerged victorious and will be doing the next quiz.
Jeff from the next table was not present. The bar staff told us that he
has gone on tour. This sounded quite exotic until another pub regular
told us that he was currently in Wolverhampton. Lynda arrived at the
Monkey Puzzle later. She had been in hospital. We were glad to see that
she was in good spirits and enjoying a vodka. Gary, the pub landlord,
confirmed that they will do a Christmas dinner for us. This is despite
the fact that they no longer offer this to other customers. This is
apparently because we all turn up on the day, which others do not. The
menu is attached. The Christmas dinner will be held Monday 3rd December.
We will need everyone there by 7:30. Please send me your meal requests
by 24th November. NB, I will acknowledge all orders so if you don't get
a reply, you might want to check that I received it. You can attend
without ordering a meal but be aware that the kitchen might not be
serving other food while they prepare ours. If you're new to Drummers,
the Christmas party is a great chance to meet everyone as we always have
a much larger group than usual."

(from Facebook, courtesy of Mss C)

For more information, email BrokenDrummers at gmail.com or
nicholls.helen at yahoo.co.uk or join their Facebook group at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/55107511411/permalink/10156634038566412/

*

Canberra, Australia's Discworld fan group is Drumknott's Irregulars:
"The group is open to all, people from interstate and overseas are
welcome, and our events will not be heavily themed. Come along to dinner
for a chat and good company. We welcome people from all fandoms (and
none) and we would love to see you at one of our events, even if you're
just passing through. Please contact us via Facebook
(_https://www.facebook.com/groups/824987924250161/_) or Google Groups
(_https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/drumknotts-irregulars_) or
join us at our next event."

*

For Facebook users in Fourecks: The Victorian Discworld Klatch is "a
social group for fans of Discworld and Terry Pratchett... run by a
dedicated team who meet monthly and organise events monthly." "If you'd
like to join our events please ask to join the Klatch."

https://www.facebook.com/groups/VictorianDiscworldKlatch

*

"The Gathering of the Loonies (Wincanton chapter)" is a public Facebook
meeting group: "This group, by request of Jo in Bear will continue to be
used for future unofficial (not run by the Emporium) fan Gatherings in
Wincanton. Look here for information."

The Loonies' next event will be their Christmas Party which will take
place over the Hogswatch-would-have-been weekend of 27th–29th November.
See their Facebook page for details!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/373578522834654/

*

The Pratchett Partisans are a fan group who meet monthly at either
Brisbane or Indooroopilly to "eat, drink and chat about all things
Pratchett. We hold events such as Discworld dinners, games afternoons,
Discworld photo scavenger hunts. We also attend opening night at
Brisbane Arts Theatre's Discworld plays." The Partisans currently have
about 200 members who meet at least twice a month, usually in Brisbane.

For more info about their next meetup, join up at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/pratchettpartisans/ or contact Ula
directly at uwilmott at yahoo.com.au

*

The City of Small Gods is a group for fans in Adelaide and South
Australia: "We have an established Terry Pratchett & Discworld fan group
in Adelaide called The City of Small Gods, which is open to anyone who
would like to come – you don't have to live in Adelaide or even South
Australia, or even be a Discworld fan, but that's mostly where our
events will be held, and we do like discussing Pratchett's works. Our
(semi-) regular meetings are generally held on the last Thursday of the
month at a pub or restaurant in Adelaide. We have dinner at 6.30pm
followed by games until 9pm. Every few months, we have a full day's
worth of board games at La Scala Cafe, 169 Unley Rd, Unley in the
function room starting at 10am. In addition, we will occasionally have
other events to go and see plays by Unseen Theatre Company, book
discussions, craft, chain maille or costuming workshops or other fun
social activities."

The next CoSG events will both be in 2019, possibly starting with a New
Year's Day movie. Stay tuned!

The CoSG also have another identity. Here's the skinny:

Round World Events SA Inc is a not-for-profit incorporated association
whose aim is to run fun social Pratchett-themed events for people in
South Australia. Our first major event was the Unseen University
Convivium held in July 2012. We have also run three successful and
booked out Science Fiction and Fantasy themed quiz nights named Quiz
Long And Prosper, in 2013, 2014 and 2015! The association will run some
events under the City of Small Gods banner, but you do not have to be a
Round World Events SA member to be part of City of Small Gods. However,
we are always on the look out for new members for Round World Events SA
to help us organise future events! Membership is $20 a year (for
Adelaide locals) or $5 a year (for those not quite so close) and has the
following benefits:

A shiny membership certificate all of your very own
Discounted entry price to some of the events we run
A warm, fuzzy feeling deep down in your chest (no, not quite that deep)
For more information, or to join as a member, please email
RoundWorldEventsSA at gmail.com

www.cityofsmallgods.org.au

*

The Broken Vectis Drummers meet next on Thursday 6th December (probably)
from 7.30pm at The Castle pub in Newport, Isle of Wight. For more info
and any queries, contact broken_vectis_drummers at yahoo.co.uk

*

The Wincanton Omnian Temperance Society (WOTS) next meets on Friday 7th
December (possibly) at Wincanton's famous Bear Inn from 7pm onwards.
"Visitors and drop-ins are always welcome!"

*

The Northern Institute of the Ankh-Morpork and District Society of
Flatalists, a Pratchett fangroup, has been meeting on a regular basis
since 2005. The Flatalists normally meet at The Narrowboat Pub in
Victoria Street, Skipton, North Yorkshire, to discuss "all things
Pratchett" as well as having quizzes and raffles. Details of future
meetings are posted on the Events section of the Discworld Stamps forum:

http://www.discworldstamps.co.uk/forum/

*

Sydney Drummers (formerly Drummers Downunder) meet next on Monday 3rd
December (possibly) at 6.30pm in Sydney at 3 Wise Monkeys, 555 George
Street, Sydney 2000. For more information, contact Sue (aka Granny
Weatherwax): kenworthys at yahoo.co.uk

*

The Treacle Mining Corporation, formerly known as Perth Drummers, meet
next on Monday 3rd December (possibly) at Old Shanghai, 123 James
Street, Northbridge, Perth, Western Australia. For details join their
Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Perth.Drummers/ – or
message Alexandra Ware directly at <alexandra.ware at gmail.com>

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

06) AROUND THE BLOGOSPHERE

Blogger Merry aka lettersfromthelighthouse reviews Reaper Man:

"In classic Discworld fashion, Reaper Man combines several strands of
narration: While Death enjoys his new-found (free) time and starts a new
job as a farm hand, the rest of the Disc tries to deal with excessive
life energy and the fact that the dead no longer properly pass on.
Wizard Windle Poons, formerly of Unseen University, suddenly finds
himself not alive, but also not fully dead, an unexpected development
that leads him into the depths of Ankh Morpork's Undead community. His
former colleagues, on the other hand, try to help him on his way to the
next world – and then there are the mysterious globe-shaped things that
start popping up everywhere… If this sounds at the same time slightly
ridiculous, thought-provoking and hilarious, it's because it is.
However, unlike some of the other Discworld novels which I enjoy
wholeheartedly, Reaper Man is a bit of a mixed bag. I did like the
reading experience but I remembered halfway through the book why memory
tells me this was a weird one..."

https://lettersfromthelighthouse.wordpress.com/2018/11/13/review-terry-pratchett-reaper-man/

...and The Wee Free Men:

"What can I say? I absolutely love Terry Pratchett's Tiffany Aching
books. They have everything that I love about the Discworld:
Thinly-veiled social commentary, wordplay ('a pune, or a play on
words'), three-dimensional characters, and creative worldbuilding, all
of which showcase Pratchett's impressive imagination. The Wee Free Men
is no exception and I (still) absolutely love the fairytale-like quality
of this book, the Nac Mac Feegle, and Tiffany 'No Nonsense' Aching. I
also love that this book is very much accessible for children while
being still amusing and occasionally eye-opening for adults..."

https://lettersfromthelighthouse.wordpress.com/2018/11/20/review-terry-pratchett-the-wee-free-men/

The Clacks Header blog points out something rather significant – with
explanatory pamphl-, er, images – about the Librarian's speech:

"...I went on a search through the books (yes, all of them) to find
everything the Librarian had ever said. The first thing I tried was
searching for the word ook – but this caused me some consternation as
there are a lot of words containing those three letters and I felt like
I might be missing something! I then tried searching for the same thing
but with a quote mark in front, e.g. 'ook but this was utterly
fruitless, so I found myself an instance of Librarian-speak and had a
closer look. It turns out that we've all been misquoting our favourite
simian character, he has never once said either 'Ook' or 'Eek', as you
may suspect. Every single instance of his speech[*] in the books uses
either the word 'Oook' or 'Eeek' with THREE vowels (or additional Os or
Es for when things get really exciting). I was slightly flabbergasted...
I then thought about this and realised that it was perfectly obvious why
The Creator made this decision. When writing a book it is sometimes
necessary to go back over your text looking for dialogue from particular
characters. If Pratchett had wanted to change something regarding the
Librarian he would have faced the same initial problem that I did, in
that 'ook' and 'eek' are both contained in a multitude of other words.
When coming up with a solution for this problem the most obvious one
would be to add an extra letter to make it unique..."

https://clacksheader.wordpress.com/2018/11/09/balancing-the-oooks/

Blogger rmartin49, on the Spec Fict Lit blog, also uses explanatories
for a post about "ranking" the Discworld novels:

"The Big Read was a BBC run survey in 2003 (at which time a maximum of
29 Discworld books would have been published) to find the nation's
best-loved novel of all time. The big winner was The Lord of the Rings,
make of that what you will. But the honour of the most prolific author
to crack the top 200 books was Terry himself with 15 entries from his
prolific canon. The Discworld book that comes out top by that rubric is
Mort, the first in the Death series and the fourth in the Discworld
overall. But you know what kind of feckless idiots the general public
are. Why would you put any kind of faith in their opinion? Because an
overall ranking is beyond me (maybe I'll manage it once I've finished
reading ALL of them. What a wonderful day for you to look forward to),
I've separated the books by strand (Rincewind, Witches, Death, City
Watch, Ancient Civilisations and Industrial Revolution) and ranked
those. All opinions are my own and if you disagree then that's your
lookout. Also, bear in mind that a low ranked Terry Pratchett book is
still a damn good book when it comes to the wider reaches of literature.
He truly was a wonderful writer...."

https://specfictlit.wordpress.com/2018/11/08/ranking-my-journey-through-the-discworld-so-far-rincewind-edition/

Blogger Bookwitch feels the Maskerade love:

" I knew I was going to choose a Terry Pratchett novel to buy, but which
one? Several looked promising, but Granny Weatherwax at the opera
sounded especially tempting. Maskerade is actually a crime novel, I
discovered. This made it even more fun, and I was already needing the
light Pratchett touch. It improved my week considerably... You forget –
well, I do, anyway – how good Terry was at observing everything in life
and making pertinent comments about the ridiculousness of it all. Or is
it easier to comment on life at the opera? The main outcome for me was
that I need another dose of Pratchett magic soon. Things went well for
Granny and Nanny, but then you'd expect that. They are not the kind of
witches who would permit things to not go well..."

https://bookwitch.wordpress.com/2018/11/07/maskerade/

Blogger Eric Watson aka roguewatson's thoughts on Raising Steam:

"Even a mediocre Discworld book is still pretty good. In the Discworld
series, the Moist von Lipwig books are solidly at the bottom. They're as
much about the city of Ankh-Morpork and the steady march of progress as
anything else, and Raising Steam is no exception, with the invention of
the locomotion. Unfortunately a good chunk of the novel is spent on a
wider lens look at the city, the inventors, and the Patricians'
machinations. I do adore the Patrician but it's mostly a snooze-fest,
and I never did care about the locomotion pair of Dick and Harry, whom
we spend a lot of time with. The final third of the book picks up steam
(sorry) into a nice little ending, and I did love the inclusion of
Commander Vimes and the City Watch as supporting characters. Note that
although it's a Moist book, the surrounding plot is a sequel to the
Troll-Dwarf war story in Thud!, nearly making it required reading to
know what's going on..."

https://roguewatson.com/2018/11/04/goodreads-review-raising-steam-discworld-40/

Blogger The English Student is back with a beautifully worded review of
Going Postal:

"This, the 33rd Discworld novel, is probably the peak of Pratchett's
technical powers as a novelist. Before this, the slow build-up from the
light romp of The Colour of Magic through novels that become ever more
serious in theme, ever angrier in their satire and ever more humane in
their palpable love for their flawed-but-lovable protagonists; after
this, the rapid stagnation and decline into inflexible dogma (check out,
or rather don't, The Science of Discworld IV: Judgement Day).
Pratchett's books have always been about character, with plot taking a
back seat, and Going Postal is no exception... It's a novel about a lot
of things: redemption, corporate greed, the power of words, the
importance of community. The lynchpin[sic] holding these things together
is the Post Office itself, a once-grand building that houses thousands
upon thousands of dry, dead letters, undelivered because of a tragedy
that remains unspecified until quite late in the book. One of Moist's
first adventures as Postmaster is to deliver some of those letters,
causing a kind of joyous chaos that's felt across the city: an elderly
couple are married when a love letter arrives fifty years late; a ruckus
is caused when a family realises the wrong sister got mum's best
jewellery. That anarchic joy is the overriding mood of the novel,
despite its occasional delvings into tragedy... It would be easy to read
the novel as anti-technology, but I think that would be a mistaken
reading: it's not the clacks themselves that are damaging to
communities, but the Grand Trunk's inability to comprehend that the
messages it carries mean nothing without the people it exploits. I think
we recognise that in the closing scenes of the novel, when Moist sends a
message through the clacks that acknowledges the importance of
community, of human lives, and in doing so effects real change..."

https://englishstudens.wordpress.com/2018/11/02/review-going-postal/

Blogger fastasybookscloserlooks fell in love with Witches Abroad:

"While at its core this is clearly a re-imagining of the story of
Cinderella, this novel also has several clever allusions to other well
known stories and fairy tales, including the Frog Prince, The Wizard of
Oz, etc, and is at its core a story about stories. Pratchett
consistently used this book to examine and deconstruct various tropes
that we have come to expect from fantasy and turns them on their head by
placing them in a city which polices people for not properly adhering to
the archetypes which they are supposedly meant to fill in stories such a
this. Because of the explicitly non-traditional style of this story, I
was consistently caught off guard by the directions in which it went and
was thoroughly entertained through-out thanks to how it masterfully
balanced its' humor and more serious contemplative moments. This was
primarily due to this novel's greatest strength: its characters…more
specifically, the main trio of witches. Magrat was very easy to root for
as a young protagonist suddenly given a great deal of power and
responsibility (and who's[sic] greatest skill seemed to be turning
things into pumpkins), and she created a fantastic contrast between
herself and her senior mentors, who were by far my favorite characters!
Granny Weatherwax was the perfect example of a stern, stubborn old lady
who ultimately has a kind and protective heart, while Nanny Ogg was much
more zany and silly. They gave off the same energy as when your
especially quirky older family members come to visit and the banter and
bickering between the two was just priceless..."

https://fantasybookscloserlooks.wordpress.com/2018/10/30/witches-abroad-review/

Blogger The Bookworm Drinketh on Equal Rites:

"Well, this is one of my favourite books in this series! I was really
excited to get to it because GRANNY WEATHERWAX IS THE GREATEST!! This
woman is hilarious, she is strong, she is stubborn, and everyone needs
her in their lives. She will never admit to being wrong in any way... I
also always enjoy Pratchett's way with words. I know his writing style
is not loved by all and that it is the reason some people DON'T read his
novels. But, it has such an air of whimsy to it, almost a Seussian style
to it, that I, personally absolutely love..."

https://thebookwormdrinketh.com/2018/10/13/terry-pratchett-read-a-thon-equal-rites-review-and-announcement-for-next-month/

...and on Mort:

"This is definitely a different book for the Discworld series. The
other's are full of a lot of snarky wit, silly happenings, magic,
action… this instalment of the series is a lot slower and a lot more
profound! It touches on some serious themes of growing up and being held
accountable for your actions, be they good or bad. Mort starts out an
awkward child who no one wants as an apprentice, his head in the clouds.
He had the 'sort of body that seemed to be only marginally under its
owner's control; it appeared to be built out of knees.' But, as the
story progressed, he begins to take control of his Fate. The novel also
brings up some rather serious thoughts on the reality of Death. The fact
the people don't want to see things that can't possibly exist, or
sometimes they don't see things that they don't want to acknowledge.
And, the fact that Death is the most powerful force in the universe that
can't be Just, or Fair. There is no right or wrong, there is only Time..."

https://thebookwormdrinketh.com/2018/10/30/terry-pratchett-read-a-thon-mort-the-story-of-deaths-slightly-awkward-apprentice/

Blogger Pages Below Vaulted Sky is back with another review – of Mort
this time giving it "four and a half elephants riding turtles out of five":

"This book's been hyped to hell and back by everyone and I went into it
clutching wide-eyed excitement in one hand and squinty skepticism in the
other. And, well, turns out all you hypers were right, because this is
my favourite of the Discworld books so far (which may not be saying a
lot seeing as how we're only four books in, but still). Here are some
reasons why I think the book worked for me: 1. It's[sic] explores a
master/apprentice relationship in a macabre profession, which I have a
particular weakness for. Professions like gravediggers, morticians,
'monstrumologists,' and well, grim reapers. There's something about the
handling of death and the act of sharing that craft with a younger
person that I find hopelessly romantic...  2. I love, love Mort as a
character. First of all, he's an underdog–I can't not root for those.
Second of all, he's this wonderful mix of teenage eagerness–of wanting
to prove himself to others and to himself–and thoughtfulness. He's
utterly endearing and hands-down my favourite of the Discworld
protagonists so far. 3. Speaking of endearing, I love this version of
Death. He reads like the mysterious, eccentric relative you've been sent
to live with for the summer. And when you ask your parents what Uncle
Tim does for a living, they just flap their hands vaguely and say, 'Oh,
you know, he does the thing.'... 4. The humour really clicked with me
this time around. It's weird, because it's the same humour–it's still
Pratchett at the helm–but with Mort as a main character, it feels…more
grounded. Less loud. Still witty but not too gratuitous..."

https://pagesbelowvaultedsky.wordpress.com/2018/10/30/discworld-readathon-review-mort/

Blogger notbravenewworld gives Guards! Guards! the ultimate accolade:

"Let me start by saying I like playing the desert island game. Who would
I take to a desert island? What food would I take with me if I'm going
to a desert island, etc. But a book? One single book? Forget it. There
is no way in heaven, hell, or purgatory I'd settle for just one, unless
I have a gun or Negan's Lucille to my head. So let's assume I have a gun
or Lucille to my head and settle for one, then. Let's make things easier
for a change. My answer would be 'Guards! Guards!'. [It's] the book I
took with me to the hospital when I went to have my daughter. Does this
make it my all-time favorite book? Nope. I wouldn't even say it's my
favorite Terry Pratchett book because I love them all. But now that the
dreaded question got me thinking, I realized I took 'Guards! Guards!' to
the hospital (not that I got a chance to read it, of course) for purely
sentimental, selfish reasons. Which is dumb but there it is. This book
has it all: it has an adventure, it has The Pratchett Humor, it has a
(very) flawed hero and an unlikely, decidedly non-model-like, heroine,
and yes, they end up together, and there's a moral in the story, and the
moral is anything is possible and don't mess with dragons, and if
Pratchett hadn't written 'Guards! Guards!' there wouldn't have been a
guards series, and, well, my life would have been that much emptier
because if I were a fictional character I would be Samuel Vimes..."

https://notbravenewworld.wordpress.com/2018/10/10/that-one-book/

Blogger acallidryas returns with a mixed opinion of Eric:

"Pratchett is no slacker. He's a professional, so he went ahead and
wrote a ministory to explain how and why Rincewind had returned. And,
well, that really seems to be the purpose of this book... Eric was not
the greatest of the Discworld novels, but it was fine. It had some bits
that were quite clever, such as the Discworld variant of the Trojan
Wars, and an always appreciated cameo by Death. (As well as The
Librarian, who is the true history of Discworld.) But it also seemed to
be a bit dashed off. There is more than one quip that is fine at first,
but wears thin quickly and one has to assume would have been changed out
in subsequent drafts if time permits. The horrible deity
Quetzlovercoatl, for instance, is a play on words that would be fine
once, but more than that and it seems to be a place holder but nothing
better came up. All in all, though, I thought it was a perfectly
cromulent Discworld book, and at its short length, one may as well read
it just to complete the series..."

https://acallidryas.wordpress.com/2018/10/09/eric/

Blogger Wide Eyes reviews A Hat Full of Sky:

"There were just so many things about this book that I loved. Terry
Pratchett's writing is sharp and hilarious; the characters are
entertaining and lovable, while also inspiring; and the story is
captivating and edged with fear at just the right moments. I was
spellbound throughout the whole book. Pratchett balances humor,
profoundness, and tension to create a very memorable story... Tiffany
isn't afraid to speak her mind; she's earnest, while also compassionate,
sensitive, and stubborn when confronted. She has her own ideas about the
world and she will stand up for them, but that doesn't mean she isn't
open-minded to others' opinions. In times of trouble she doesn't wait
for someone to come help her; she helps herself, even when she doesn't
know how to start. I loved reading about her vivid adventures and I
marveled at the depth of her thoughts and emotions. Part of the wonder
of this book is how integral Tiffany is to the development of the story.
With any other character, Discworld just wouldn't be right..."

https://phantasmagoricalbooks.wordpress.com/2018/10/09/terry-pratchett-a-hat-full-of-sky/

Dutch blogger Jeroen aka A Sky of Books and Movies also reviews A Hat
Full of Sky:

"Before this one I read Monstrous Regiment, in which Pratchett engaged
with feminism, gender politics and war, and Night Watch before that, in
which he tackled revolutions, civil war, imprisonment and other dark
topics. Pratchett got sharper; his humor turned mocking and scornful,
and I felt I was losing something that made the series so enjoyable for
me. I'm glad to find it again in this subseries. So, now we have this
Tiffany Aching subseries running, and it has a couple of elements that
really define it, that make it its own. One is of course the character
of Tiffany: a young, precocious, plain looking girl with a lot of
self-possession, who learns how to be a witch – and in the terms of
Terry Pratchett that totally unlike anything you would see in a Harry
Potter novel. Being a witch in Discworld is about being clever, smart
and no-nonsense, and understanding people and yourself. I like this
concept so much, and Pratchett does such an outstanding job at telling
us what that means. Many of Tiffany's challenges in her adventures are
not about being a strong, powerful person and slaying evil, not about
waving a wand and beating something with bright rays of magic, but about
doing what you have to do, even if you don't like it, and about finding
strength from the land you grew up in and having patience with people
and learning about yourself..."

https://jeroenthoughts.wordpress.com/2018/10/01/terry-pratchett-a-hat-full-of-sky-2004-review/

...and finally, authors and co-bloggers Allan and Helen Krummenacker
praise Raising Steam:

"I've seen other reviews where people lamented that his declining health
was clearly showing in this book saying things like 'it wasn't as
funny…' or '…it felt like this was his farewell to the fans…' etc... But
for me, this book felt more like a wonderfully wild ride that took us to
various parts of the Discworld, just as the invention of the first train
in Ankh-Morpork intended. Pratchett uses the invention of the first
steam engine to take us all over and reintroduce us to a number of old
and familiar faces and places. We go back to Uberwald to visit Lady
Margolotta, The Low King of the Dwarves, Bonk, the goblins, Harry King
'King of the Golden River' (a river you would not want to swim in by the
way folks), Commander Vimes and the Watch, Death, Lord Vetinari, and of
course the incorrigible scoundrel of the piece Moist Von Lipwig. We get
to see some of these wonderful characters interacting with each other in
various ways, some for the first time like Lipwig (the 'reformed'
con-man) working with Stoneface Vimes. Mr. Pratchett has been
modernizing his world little by little throughout the series introducing
the 'Clacks' for communicating quickly over great distances, the first
newspapers (spreading information to not just the gentry, but the common
man), a new monetary system that is not based on the gold, so the
addition of the steam engine seemed quite appropriate. With each book he
brings his scattered characters closer to one another, while still
providing a fun-filled thrilling ride along the way..."

https://akrummenacker.wordpress.com/2018/09/29/book-review-terry-pratchetts-raising-steam/

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

07) ROUNDWORLD TALES: FOODS OF THE FEEGLES

We know that the Nac Mac Feegle of The Chalk, under the tutelage of Rob
Anybody and Kelda Jeannie, have been experimenting with snails and
garlic in their cookery. But did you know how many of the basics of
Feegle cuisine are eerily similar to those of Roundworld's traditional
Scots food?

Every visitor to Ankh-Morpork is familiar with that staple of the less
moneyed demographic, the infamous clootie dumpling – a very substantial
mixture of flour, suet, drippings and whatever else the cook can get
away with, probably boiled up in the cook's old apron. But did you know
that Scottish foods include clootie dumplings as a dessert? Roundworld
clootie dumplings start with flour and suet of course, but then add
breadcrumbs, sultanas, currants, sugar, spices, milk and even golden
syrup. The dough is boiled in a cloth – "clootie" comes from "clout", an
old word for a cloth – and then left to dry out before being served,
often with custard or cream.

A great and time-honoured way to use up leftovers on the Scottish
Borders is called rumbledethumps. This dish, consisting of potatoes,
cabbage, onions and whatever else "wants eating up", is similar to
colcannon in Ireland and bubble and squeak in England. Another creative
Scots way with leftovers is to turn yesterday's porridge into skirlie,
by adding onions and fat and frying it up (All together now: "You're
Scottish, fry something!"). And then there are soups. Everyone knows the
famous Cock-a-Leekie soup (presumably made by Feegles with stolen
chickens), but let's not forget Cullen Skink: a thick winter fish soup,
traditionally made with "finnan haddie" (smoked haddock from north-east
Scotland), potatoes and, yes, onions. Another famous soup from the sea
is Partan Bree, a kind of crab chowder with rice (partan being Scots
Gaelic for crab).

Sowans is a drink that makes the best of the last bits of the oat
harvest: take the starch left over on the inner husks of milled oats,
soak for several days to let it ferment, strained the liquid and let it
stand for a day, after which time the liquid, known as swats, is ready
to drink. And speaking of drink (apart from Special Sheep Liniment),
finally we come to brose. Ordinary brose is simply made from coarse
porridge oats and water, boiled for a short time and left to thicken,
although barley meal or peasemeal can be used if you've already eaten
all your porridge... and of course, there's the Roundworld version of
Big Aggie's brose, which is brose mixed with... yes, Special Sheep
Liniment (better known to us Roundworlders as whiskey) and honey.
Guaranteed, many say, to heal the sick and raise the almost-dead; you
might want to try a drop or a dram of it this holiday season!

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

08) IMAGES OF THE MONTH

A collage of Studio Theatre Club's production of Hogfather this month:
http://www.studiotheatreclub.com/gallery-2#&gid=1&pid=1

Stephen Briggs, "feeling like Death":
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DsM31QeXQAUtPrA.jpg

Blogger Kat aka An Antisocial Artist offers a sweet illustration of a
Pratchett quote: https://bit.ly/2PW9LSD

...and Your Editor's favourite still from the Good Omens trailer:
https://bit.ly/2FFWZTI

09) CLOSE

And that's it for November. Take care, and we hope to see you before the
end of the year!

– Annie Mac

This issue can be viewed on the clacks at
https://wossname.dreamwidth.org/67413.html

The End. If you have any questions or requests, write: wossname-owner
(at) pearwood (dot) info