Wossname – October 2019 – main issue

News and reviews about the works of Sir Terry Pratchett wossname at pearwood.info
Mon Oct 21 15:16:55 AEDT 2019

Wossname
October 2019 (Volume 22, Issue 10, Post 1)

WOSSNAME is a free publication offering news, reviews, and all the other
stuff-that-fits pertaining to the works of Sir Terry Pratchett.
Originally founded by the late, great Joe Schaumburger for members of
the worldwide Klatchian Foreign Legion and its affiliates, including the
North American Discworld Society and other continental groups, Wossname
is now for Discworld and Pratchett fans everywhere in Roundworld.

Editor in Chief: Annie Mac
News Editor: Vera P
Newshounds: Mogg, Sir J of Croydon Below, the Shadow, Mss C, Alison not
Aliss
Staff Writers: Asti, Pitt the Elder, Evil Steven Dread, Mrs Wynn-Jones
Staff Technomancer: Jason Parlevliet
Book Reviews: Annie Mac, Drusilla D'Afanguin, Your Name Here
Puzzle Editor: Tiff (still out there somewhere)
Emergency Staff: Steven D'Aprano, Jason Parlevliet
World Membership Director: Steven D'Aprano (in his copious spare time)

01) QUOTES OF THE MONTH
02) EDITOR'S LETTER
03) ODDS AND SODS
04) MORE GOOD OMENS BITS AND BOBS
05) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS
06) DISCWORLD MEETING GROUPS NEWS
07) AROUND THE BLOGOSPHERE
08) IMAGES OF THE MONTH
09) CLOSE

01) QUOTES OF THE MONTH

"Getting all the questions again, so I'm reiterating – I'm not involved
in #TheWatch. I was years ago when Dad was alive, the BBC weren't
involved and it was a very different beast."
– Rhianna Pratchett, on Twitter last month

"If you've got two actors doing that and the writing is of the quality
that this was, then a lot of that work is done for you and you then
naturally work well together. It is quite rare and we were very fortunate."
– Michael Sheen, on the chemistry between him and David Tennant

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

02) A LETTER FROM YOUR EDITOR

A somewhat less irritable editorial this month...

I recently re-read Raising Steam. While there were complaints from some
quarters about the novel being overly flawed and overly rushed, I have
to say that I enjoyed it thoroughly, with one proviso: the only thing
"wrong" with Raising Steam, in my opinion, is that it shouldn't have
been written until Sir Pterry was about eighty. There should have been a
number of other Discworld novels between Snuff and Raising Steam, at
least a decade's worth in terms of realtime publication dates, in order
to give the Disc's societies' already rapid evolution time to develop at
a more believable pace. Did the Disc's Age of Steam come too soon? I do
think so. At the same time, I'm now and forever grateful that my
favourite author did live long enough to give us that taste of his
world's future. But yes, it's all the more tragic that he died so soon
and never had the opportunity to explore all the other Discworld stories
he wanted to write.

I also re-read The Folklore of Discworld. Having grown up with a
Brewer's Dictionary close to hand and thus already being aware of the
Roundworld folklore that inspired so many Discworld legends and
creatures and traditions, I was a bit dismissive of the book on my
initial reading. But I've since realised that not everyone did have a
Brewer's to hand, and Jacqueline Simpson's Disc-sympathetic recounting
of all the relevant folklore is very well written and very worthwhile
reading for anyone who'd like to learn the background of some of those
wonderful Pratchett versions.

And now, on with the show!

– Annie Mac, Editor

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

03) ODDS AND SODS

3.1 THE DISC ON DISC!

By Scott Munro on Loudersound:

"A collection of Terry Pratchett’s Discworld novels are coming to vinyl
for the very first time. The 15-disc illustrated box set will be
released through the BBC on November 29 and will contain Mort, Wyrd
Sisters, Guards! Guards!, Eric, Small Gods, Night Watch and the bonus
non-Discworld tale Only You Can Save Mankind. The yarns have been
brought to life by Anton Lesser, Sheila Hancock, Martin Jarvis, Melvyn
Hayes, Philip Jackson, Alex Jennings, Geoffrey Whitehead, Patrick Barlow
and Mark Heap with Death “as ever, played by himself.” Every disc of the
BBC Radio dramatisations have been pressed on heavyweight 180g
‘DiscSwirl’ vinyl, with each of the seven gatefold sleeves containing
liner notes from Stephen Briggs – the co-author of The Discworld
Companion. A recreation of the Discworld map also features across the 15
printed inner bags, while Night Watch and Only You Can Save Mankind will
include themed etchings on the b-side. The box set is now available to
pre-order."

Available to order on A**zon for the terrifying price of £179.99. One
can only hope that more reputable sellers will offer it soon.

https://bit.ly/2Mwh681

3.2 THE WATCH, ALREADY PLUGGING MERCH

Confident, aren't they...

"BBC Studios has announced that it will retain all licensing rights to
The Watch. Rikesh Desai, Licensing Director, Consumer Products, said:
'The Watch is an exciting addition to our slate and one we’re proud to
be representing. We’re looking forward to the series launching next year
and to working with partners across the merchandise, gaming, publishing
and live events industry.' Rob Wilkins, Executive Producer and
Narrativia MD, said 'By collaborating with BBC Studios’ partners, we’ll
be able to offer fans and audiences new ways to engage with a world from
Terry’s imagination. The prospect of expanding the reach of The Watch in
this way is a very exciting one, and I look forward to working with new
partners that come on board.'..."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/bbcstudios/2019/the-watch-licensing

3.3 REMINDER: NEW SCREENINGS OF TROLL BRIDGE

27-10-19 Cardiff International Film Festival Cardiff, Wales
https://www.theciff.co.uk/
09-11-19 Discworld Day Gauteng, SA [that's South Africa, not South
Australia! See item 3.6 – Ed.] https://bit.ly/2nGzPnp
16-11-19 Shades International Short Film Festival, Indore, India
https://shadesfestival.org/official-entries-2019

3.4 THE MERCH CORNER

* Good Omens socks

Wisesnail, whose superb fanart has been featured several times in
Wossname, offers socks based on a certain incident in the early history
of a certain angel and a certain demon. Worth snapping up before A**zon
finds out!

https://rdbl.co/2Bk2ZMV

3.5 REMINDER: DISCWORLD AND BEYOND IN NORTHERN IRELAND

Paul Kidby's Discworld & Beyond touring exhibition is in its final days
in Co. Antrim!

"The beautifully realised paintings and drawings feature many of Paul's
favourite characters including Rincewind, the Wee Free Men and, of
course, Death along with a host of witches, wizards, dragons and trolls.
It also reveals some of Paul's own work from his Charmed Realm
collection, a book created by Paul and his wife Vanessa of myth and
faerie influenced by British folklore and landscapes. All his
illustrations are marked by a staggering quality of draughtsmanship and
effective use of colour; bright for the book covers and muted shades for
his faerie paintings. The exhibition brings to life the quirky
characters and trademark humour of Sir Terry's books. Paul said, ‘It has
been really exciting selecting some of my favourite paintings for the
‘Discworld & Beyond' exhibition. Visitors will be able to see many of
their favourite Discworld illustrations up close and personal and
celebrate the wonderful legacy of a great author who has inspired so
many, including me!'"

When: currently, through 31st October 2019
Venue: Larne Museum & Arts Centre, 2 Victoria Road, Larne, County
Antrim, BT40 1RN
Time: Monday through Friday, 10am–4.30pm. The Museum is also open on one
Saturday per month – for more information, ring 028 28 262443 or email
marian.kelso at midandeastantrim.gov.uk
Tickets: free entry

https://www.midandeastantrim.gov.uk/things-to-do/museums-arts/larne-museum-and-arts-centre
https://www.paulkidby.com/event/discworld-beyond-a-paul-kidby-retrospective/

3.6 REMINDER: THE THIRD ANNUAL JHB DISCWORLD DAY (SOUTH AFRICA)

"Discover the streets of Ankh-Morpork, the greatest city of the
Discworld. A folklorique network of old lanes, squares and alleys for
your walking pleasure. Wherre exitement and trolls lurke arounde everry
corner and much may be heard the traditional street cries of old time
also the laughing visages of the denuizens as they goe about their
business private."

When: 9th November 2019
Venue: La Vue Guest Lodge & Function Venue, Plot 161, Nooitgedacht,
Muldersdrift, 1937 (phone (0) 10 597 7686) (note: parking charge is R20
per car)
Time: 10am – 5pm
Tickets: Adults R60 (on the day: R80; under 12 and over 3 R20; under 3
free), available from http://qkt.io/DiscworldDay2019

https://bit.ly/2nGzPnp
http://www.lavue.co.za/

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

04) MORE GOOD OMENS BITS AND BOBS

4.0 A GOOD OMENS GRAPHIC SURPRISE

This is so wonderful I'm not even going to tell you what it is! Just
click on the link:

https://bit.ly/2VX7mqu

4.1 SO...ANOTHER SEASON AFTER ALL?

By Neela Debnath for The Express:

I"The 58-year-old author admitted he was in a 'strange situation' with
both the BBC and Amazon asking for more Good Omens and the writer trying
to figure out how to go forward. He explained it was usually the other
way around with the programme-makers usually asking the network or
broadcaster for a recommission. Gaiman said: 'People loved it, people
watched in their tens of millions. We are very, very happy. So everybody
is very prepared for us to do more Good Omens. I’m just trying to figure
out how I could do more Good Omens. So, there’s no commitment yet for
doing any more but I would love to do some more if we can because I,
like everyone else, love the characters. Like everybody else, I want to
see more Crowley and Aziraphale.... There’s more plot and I haven’t
spoken about it publicly or on the record [about] what it’s actually
about and never will. But there’s definitely more plot to go.'...
Judging from Gaiman’s words, a sequel seems entirely possible but it
would need an official green light from co-producers Amazon and the BBC.
Gaiman also said stars David Tennant and Jon Hamm had been enquiring
about more Good Omens, suggesting they are on board for any future
instalments..."

https://bit.ly/2oMKmP7

4.2 REMINDER: GOOD OMENS DVD/BLU-RAY NEWS

The official release date is 5th November 2019, and even earlier in some
places!

 From the BBC America blurb:

"Brand new bonus material includes: Page to Screen... Aziraphale’s
World... Bookshop Tour... Crowley’s World... Deleted Scenes...
Storyboard Gallery... Concept Art Gallery... Costume Design Gallery...
Queen compilation... Good Omens VFX reel... Audio commentaries for all 6
episodes... Good Omens trailer... Characters of Good Omens... The World
of Good Omens..."

The USA BBC Shop is offering a two-disc DVD set for pre-order, priced at
US$19.98 (_ https://shop.bbc.com/products/good-omens-22364_) and the
Blu-Ray version for pre-order, priced at US$23.98
(_https://shop.bbc.com/products/good-omens-blu-ray-22365_)

It's claimed that BBC UK will be releasing Good Omens on DVD and Blu-ray
on 28th October, but there's no news yet as to price.

Good Omens fans in Fourecks can now pre-order from JB Hi-fi for 5th
November release! Price is AU$26.98 and the link is:

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/good-omens-season-1-2019-dvd

4.3 MICHAEL SHEEN ON THE CHEMISTRY BETWEEN ANGEL AND DEMON

By Dan Seddon on Digital Spy:

"...Sheen opened up about the beauty of their relationship during
filming. 'It's something that either happens or it doesn't, and I think
David and I were both admirers of each other's work. I think we both
instinctively felt that we probably work in similar ways, which proved
to be the case in the sense that we both put a lot of work into what
we're doing, we're prepared and we make choices,' he said. "I think
we're both quite open to what the other actors are doing and are open to
direction, but we come with a lot of our own stuff. I like the choices
that David makes and I think he felt the same way...'..."

https://bit.ly/2P5LVSM

4.4 BOOK OR SERIES?

By Eoin Keogh, in University College Dublin's news site University Observer:

"I almost never find myself agreeing with anyone when they say that the
film’s better than the book. In fact, I can’t remember the last time I
did; until I watched Good Omens. Written by Neil Gaiman and the late
Terry Pratchett, Good Omens is perhaps the only book I thoroughly
enjoyed, while also agreeing that the one-season television series was
so much better... The book, being written in the 90’s, is definitely a
90’s book, and for modern audiences reading Good Omens, it is so very
evident. The television show was produced by Gaiman himself, and updates
the book slightly, while still remaining accurate to the text, with a
few extra scenes added so it’s not just a carbon copy. The series adds a
lot more in terms of scenes between Aziraphale (Michael Sheen) and
Crowley (David Tennant), especially the 30 minute cold open in episode
3, which now holds the record for the longest cold open in television
history. Unlike the book, the television series also explores the world
of the story in more detail, such as giving an explanation as to what
the angels are, which in this case are “a man, or at least a man-shaped
being,” meaning that although the beings may appear to pass as a
particular gender, they are in fact genderless. As a result, the
television series allows for further world-building, thus developing on
the source material..."
https://bit.ly/2oNgwdn

4.5 MEANWHILE, ON THE GOOD "SHIP" AZIROWLEY...

There was a Good Omens fan convention last weekend on Sir Pterry's old
patch! "The Ineffable Con, a Good Omens convention that focuses on the
relationship of Aziraphale and Crowley, but welcomes all characters and
pairings... "

Worth having a look to see if there will be one next year:

https://theineffablecon.org.uk/

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

05) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS

Editor's note: as Wossname normally only comes out once every month, do
check the Wossname blog for information on plays that might fall between
issue dates! Go to https://wossname.dreamwidth.org/ for interim updates.

5.1 DISCWORLD PLAYS

* GOING POSTAL IN EMERALD, FOURECKS (OCTOBER)

The Gemco Players will present their final Going Postal shows this week!
"Moist von Lipwig was a con artist, a fraud and a man faced with a life
choice: be hanged, or put Ankh-Morpork's ailing postal service back on
its feet. It was a tough decision. With the help of a golem who has been
at the bottom of hole in the ground for over two hundred years, a pin
fanatic and Junior Postman Groat, he's got to see that the mail gets
through. In taking on the evil chairman of the Grand Trunk Semaphore
Company, and a midnight killer, he's also got to stay alive. Getting a
date with Adora Bell Dearheart would be nice, too. In the mad world of
the mail, can a criminal succeed where honest men have failed and died?
Perhaps there's a shot at redemption for man who's prepared to push the
envelope..."

When: Friday 25th and Saturday 26th October
Venue: Gem Community Arts Centre, 19 Kilvington Drive, Emerald, VIC 3782
Time: all Friday and Saturday shows 8pm; Sunday matinees 2pm
Tickets: adults AU$25, concessions/u-15s $22, groups of four $80,
available online via https://www.trybooking.com/BAGWG

https://gemco-players.squarespace.com/whatson/2018/12/5/going-postal

* MORT IN NOTTINGHAM (OCTOBER–NOVEMBER)

Colwick Theatre Club’s Autumn Production this year is Mort!

When: 31st October–2nd November 2019
Venue: Colwick Community Centre, Vale Road, Colwick Village, Notts NG4 2GP
Time: 7:30pm all shows
Tickets: £5 (concessions and children £4), available by ringing 0750 729
9526

* JOHNNY AND THE DEAD IN LEEDS (NOVEMBER)

Leeds Children's Theatre will be presenting their production of Johnny
and the Dead in November! "Sell the cemetery? Over their dead bodies ...
Not many people can see the dead (not many would want to).
Twelve-year-old Johnny Maxwell can. And he's got bad news for them: the
council want to sell the cemetery as a building site, but they'd better
watch out – the dead have learnt a thing or two from Johnny. They're not
going to take it lying down ...especially since it's Halloween tomorrow.
Besides, they're beginning to find that life is a lot more fun than it
was when they were ... well ... alive. ​Particularly if they break a few
rules."

When: 6th–9th November 2019
Venue: Carriageworks Theatre main auditorium, Millennium Square, Leeds
LS2 3AD
Time: all evening shows (Wednesday through Friday) 7pm, Saturday matinee
1pm and afternoon show 5.30pm
Tickets: adults £14.50, concessions £12.50, under-16s £10.50, family
£46, available from the Box Office (phone 0113 376 0318; address Leeds
Town Hall, The Headroom, LS1 3AD, open 10am–6pm Monday to Saturday), or
by by email (boxoffice at leeds.gov.uk), or online via the theatre's
website, although their calendar doesn't yet stretch to November:
https://www.carriageworkstheatre.co.uk/plan-your-visit/how-to-book-tickets/

"The Box Office will charge a fee for postage if you wish to have your
tickets mailed out. Family Tickets, restricted view seats and special
offers are rarely sold online and should be purchased over the phone or
in person."

www.leeds-childrens-theatre.co.uk

* GOING POSTAL IN ADELAIDE, FOURECKS (NOVEMBER)

Unseen Theatre are back with a new Discworld production! This November,
it's Going Postal: "Moist von Lipwig is a con artist.  He has excellent
qualifications and experience for this line of work. He is a fraud, a
natural born-criminal, an habitual liar, a perverted genius and totally
untrustworthy. This is the sort of man to whom Lord Vetinari (Patrician
of Ankh-Morpork) offers a life choice – be hanged, or put Ankh-Morpork’s
ailing postal service back on its feet. It is going to be a tough
decision for Moist, but perhaps there’s a shot at redemption for a man
who’s prepared to push the envelope? Of course before he comes anywhere
close to success, he will have a multitude of problems to overcome.
Just to mention a few, there is his parole officer Mr. Pump – a golem
made of clay who, like any other government official, is tireless in his
sense of duty; there are tons of undelivered mail who insist on talking
to him; the shadowy characters from the Grand Trunk Company want him
deader than his dead letters, and his new “girlfriend” sees straight
through him. So much for SWALK! And here he'd thought that all he'd have
to face was rain, snow, gloom of night, and the odd vicious dog or two..."

When: 20th–30th November 2019
Venue: Bakehouse Main Theatre, 255 Angas Street, Adelaide, South
Australia 5000
Time: 8pm all shows
Tickets: Adults $22, Conc $18, Fringe Benefits $16, Groups (6+) $16,
Preview night (20th November) $16, all available online at
https://www.trybooking.com/BFUHZ

http://www.bakehousetheatre.com/shows/going-postal

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

06) DISCWORLD MEETING GROUPS NEWS

The Broken Drummers, "London's Premier Unofficially Official Discworld
Group" (motto "Nil percussio est"), will next meet on Monday 4th
November at 7pm at The Monkey Puzzle, 30 Southwick Street, London W2 1JQ.

For more information, email BrokenDrummers at gmail.com or
nicholls.helen at yahoo.co.uk or join their Facebook group at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/55107511411/permalink/10156634038566412/

*

Canberra, Australia's Discworld fan group is Drumknott's Irregulars:
"The group is open to all, people from interstate and overseas are
welcome, and our events will not be heavily themed. Come along to dinner
for a chat and good company. We welcome people from all fandoms (and
none) and we would love to see you at one of our events, even if you're
just passing through. Please contact us via Facebook
(_https://www.facebook.com/groups/824987924250161/_) or Google Groups
(_https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/drumknotts-irregulars_) or
join us at our next event."

*

For Facebook users in Fourecks: The Victorian Discworld Klatch is "a
social group for fans of Discworld and Terry Pratchett... run by a
dedicated team who meet monthly and organise events monthly." "If you'd
like to join our events please ask to join the Klatch."

https://www.facebook.com/groups/VictorianDiscworldKlatch

*

"The Gathering of the Loonies (Wincanton chapter)" is a public Facebook
meeting group: "This group, by request of Jo in Bear will continue to be
used for future unofficial (not run by the Emporium) fan Gatherings in
Wincanton. Look here for information."

https://www.facebook.com/groups/373578522834654/

*

The Pratchett Partisans are a fan group who meet monthly at either
Brisbane or Indooroopilly to "eat, drink and chat about all things
Pratchett. We hold events such as Discworld dinners, games afternoons,
Discworld photo scavenger hunts. We also attend opening night at
Brisbane Arts Theatre's Discworld plays." The Partisans currently have
about 200 members who meet at least twice a month, usually in Brisbane.

For more info about their next meetup, join up at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/pratchettpartisans/ or contact Ula
directly at uwilmott at yahoo.com.au

*

The City of Small Gods is a group for fans in Adelaide and South
Australia: "We have an established Terry Pratchett & Discworld fan group
in Adelaide called The City of Small Gods, which is open to anyone who
would like to come – you don't have to live in Adelaide or even South
Australia, or even be a Discworld fan, but that's mostly where our
events will be held, and we do like discussing Pratchett's works. Our
(semi-) regular meetings are generally held on the last Thursday of the
month at a pub or restaurant in Adelaide. We have dinner at 6.30pm
followed by games until 9pm. Every few months, we have a full day's
worth of board games at La Scala Cafe, 169 Unley Rd, Unley in the
function room starting at 10am. In addition, we will occasionally have
other events to go and see plays by Unseen Theatre Company, book
discussions, craft, chain maille or costuming workshops or other fun
social activities."

The next CoSG events will be the Monthly Dinner on 31st October. Also,
the Round World Events SA, Inc's AGM will be held on 9th November.

The CoSG also have another identity. Here's the skinny:

Round World Events SA Inc is a not-for-profit incorporated association
whose aim is to run fun social Pratchett-themed events for people in
South Australia. Our first major event was the Unseen University
Convivium held in July 2012. We have also run three successful and
booked out Science Fiction and Fantasy themed quiz nights named Quiz
Long And Prosper, in 2013, 2014 and 2015! The association will run some
events under the City of Small Gods banner, but you do not have to be a
Round World Events SA member to be part of City of Small Gods. However,
we are always on the look out for new members for Round World Events SA
to help us organise future events! Membership is $20 a year (for
Adelaide locals) or $5 a year (for those not quite so close) and has the
following benefits:

A shiny membership certificate all of your very own
Discounted entry price to some of the events we run
A warm, fuzzy feeling deep down in your chest (no, not quite that deep)
For more information, or to join as a member, please email
RoundWorldEventsSA at gmail.com

www.cityofsmallgods.org.au

*

The Broken Vectis Drummers meet next on Thursday 7th November (probably)
from 7.30pm at The Castle pub in Newport, Isle of Wight. For more info
and any queries, contact broken_vectis_drummers at yahoo.co.uk

*

The Wincanton Omnian Temperance Society (WOTS) next meets on Friday 1st
November (possibly) at Wincanton's famous Bear Inn from 7pm onwards.
"Visitors and drop-ins are always welcome!"

*

The Northern Institute of the Ankh-Morpork and District Society of
Flatalists, a Pratchett fangroup, has been meeting on a regular basis
since 2005. The Flatalists normally meet at The Narrowboat Pub in
Victoria Street, Skipton, North Yorkshire, to discuss "all things
Pratchett" as well as having quizzes and raffles. Details of future
meetings are posted on the Events section of the Discworld Stamps forum:

http://www.discworldstamps.co.uk/forum/

*

Sydney Drummers (formerly Drummers Downunder) meet next on Monday 4th
November (possibly) at 6.30pm in Sydney at 3 Wise Monkeys, 555 George
Street, Sydney 2000. For more information, contact Sue (aka Granny
Weatherwax): kenworthys at yahoo.co.uk

*

The Treacle Mining Corporation, formerly known as Perth Drummers, meet
next on Monday 4th November (possibly) at Old Shanghai, 123 James
Street, Northbridge, Perth, Western Australia. For details join their
Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Perth.Drummers/ – or
message Alexandra Ware directly at <alexandra.ware at gmail.com>

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

07) AROUND THE BLOGOSPHERE

Blogger Jonathan Feinstein returns with a review of the Good Omens
audiobook:

"I did enjoy Good Omens from its first publication and have read it
several times now and while, yes, I can easily tell, much of the time,
which parts were written by Pratchett and which were by Gaiman (I may
have guessed wrong on the parts I was uncertain about), I liked the
whole book, not just parts of it... It is a lot to fit in to a single
volume, but Pratchett and Gaiman managed to do so masterfully, by
stuffing it with both original, unusual characters and stereotypes from
every day life all mixed up in a delightful satire that is best read
rather than be told about. There are several British voice actors who
could have read this book, but Stephen Briggs is at the top of my list.
As usual, he reads the story perfectly, subtly changing his voice just
enough to delineate the characters without actually “talking funny,” a
problem many readers seem to have. Very few actors can do funny voices
and make them work (Actually, Tom Baker may be the only one) and Mister
Briggs knows enough not to try..."

https://bit.ly/33JQtCp

Blogger Professional Moron on Mort:

"It’s a good fun book and we enjoyed it a lot ages back when we read.
It’s stuck with us over the years. Although we think Pratchett honed his
skills to a greater degree after this (particularly for the Nome
Trilogy) it’s still an amusing and fine effort. His sense of
imagination, and the characterisation, are strong. Death, for example,
has a weirdly comical persona and is the highlight of the book. So, if
you’re still to get involved in the Discworld stuff then this is a good
place to start. The author said so himself! The depiction of Death in
Mort had us thinking of other times the character crops up. In the world
of culture, he (as it’s usually got a male voice) turns up in many and
varied shows such as Family Guy. But it’s Monty Python’s consideration
from the comedy troop’s final film that sticks with us..."

https://bit.ly/2Mwz5v9

Blogger The Reading Bug's latest is a review of Maskerade:

"While Pratchett always has a serious point in the back of his mind,
here the seriousness never gets in the way of the fun – for example the
scene where the senior witches stay in Madame Palm’s house for ladies of
negotiable affection, and manage somehow to make it even more
disreputable, is glorious! Maskerade is fantastic. It features two of my
favourite characters in the whole of fiction, Nanny Ogg here finally
stepping out from the shadow of Esme Weatherwax with her own special
brand of magic (in essence, being nice and talking to people), and of
course Esme herself. The witches have been on a road trip before,
(Witches Abroad) but here they can play uninhibitedly in Ankh-Morpork.
Pratchett clearly had a huge amount of affection for these characters –
they are immensely endearing and believable. (Re-reading what I have
written there I can’t help notice the abundance of superlatives, but
it’s a fair reflection of how I feel about the novel.) Nanny Ogg is a
complete nihilist – her philosophy of life is summarised as 'do what
seemed like a good idea at the time, and do it as hard as possible'..."

https://bit.ly/2MulEf8

Blogger JessicaBookworm's review of Reaper Man:

"As a big fan of Death, I absolutely loved the thread following him,
with all its awkward amusement as he tries to fit in with the
not-so-regular, regular folk. But if I am honest I wanted more time with
him! Instead the other two threads probably took me away from him for up
to 60% of the book. I did enjoy the undead antics of Windle Poons with
his new friends, which was all good fun. However I wasn’t a huge fan of
the mindboggling battle between the wizards, the drone trolleys and the
living shopping mall… Especially when all I kept thinking of was: what
is Death doing now?! This is the second book to follow Death – the first
being Mort – while it is the eleventh instalment from the whole series,
which was first published in 1991. Although this is now the twelfth book
I have read from this colourful series and I am roughly reading the
books I own in order, I don’t feel you necessarily have to read them in
publication order, because the stories often follow various different
groups of characters. As I said, in this case, this book was meant to be
primarily following Death – however he does turn up in smaller cameo
roles in many of the series’ instalments though – I just wish we had had
more of him here..."

https://bit.ly/2MUSUeK

Blogger The Weary Bookcase gives full marks to Night Watch:

"There’s so much complexity and nuance in the writing of Night Watch.
Vimes trying to mentor his younger self. The challenge of wanting to
make things go better while being told by the History Monks that they
must go the same way – and no matter how much Vimes tries to do the
right and sensible thing, he’s simply unable to halt the disaster.
There’s also his determination to make the Watch better, and the fact
that he’s trying to do all these things while behind the scenes,
political machinations go on which he has no control over. I always love
an accidental time-travel story because it’s so much fun to watch a
character trying to work out what the fuck is actually going on... I
also really enjoyed how serious Night Watch is. Terry Pratchett was a
brilliant comic writer, but he was also fantastic at the darker stuff.
The Unspeakables are truly awful, like a current of poison flowing
through Ankh-Morpork, and so is the Patrician, Lord Winder, whose
corruption and paranoia pervade the city. There is, of course, the
escalating tension and violence in the city, which it’s impossible not
to get caught up in. Too many innocents die. And behind everything,
there’s Sam Vimes’s desperation to get back to Sybil, who’s right in the
middle of giving birth. There’s so much bad and painful stuff going on
and Terry Pratchett writes it beautifully..."

https://thewearybookcase.home.blog/2019/10/03/night-watch/

Blogger Holly aka Nut Free Nerd highly recommends Good Omens:

"...recommend this book in any format because it’s witty, clever,
bizarre, hilarious, thought-provoking, and downright brilliant in every
way. Because my thoughts about this book are still a jumbled, excited,
enthusiastic mess, here are a bunch of reasons why you should read it:
Aziraphale and Crowley are described as polar opposites but over the
course of the book you realize that they are actually more like one
another than either would like to admit. The banter between Aziraphale
and Crowley – and between all of the characters, to be honest. Even the
demons are likeable. It’s brimming with Neil Gaiman’s signature eerie,
twisted charm (I’ve never read anything just by Terry Pratchett, so I
can’t speak for his writing.). It’s the most hilarious book about the
apocalypse you will ever read..."

https://bit.ly/2qtTCIl

Blogger Digital Ischaemia considers Brexit through the lens of a
different "bloody stupid" Johnson, namely Bergholt Stuttley Johnson:

"Perhaps the Discworld’s most notable inventor is Bergholt Stuttley
“Bloody Stupid” Johnson, an architect whose ability to get things wrong
bordered on mythical. Although evidently able in certain fields, Johnson
is notorious for his complete inability to produce anything according to
specification or common sense, or (sometimes) even the laws of physics.
This fact never stopped him from trying, however. Johnson was not
incompetent, far from it; indeed in many ways he was a kind of genius.
Pratchett suggests on numerous occasions that he possessed a kind of
“inverse genius;” as far from incompetence as genius but in the opposite
direction. … While π ≈ 3.142 is a fundamental constant, in the backstory
to Going Postal Johnson manages to produce a wheel for which π = 3 as
part of his Automatic Mail Sorter. As with a significant number of his
creations, the Sorter did work, but the implied distortion of space-time
created some side effects, including the Sorter’s ability to sort mail
(i.e. output sorted letters) that had not been written yet or might
never be written.

This has dazzling ramifications for the Westminster Plan to Make Britain
Best Blighter Again, a slippery beast that no one person knows in its
entirety and does not exist in the conventional sense. So, if we can
distort the fundamental rules of space-time, the Plan may actually work,
for certain values of ‘work’, and of course with some interesting
side-effects. The fact that [Johnson] continued to receive commissions
after the defects in his abilities became apparent is considered to be
the ultimate expression of the apparent thinking behind the Victorian
follies, i.e. an indication that the person commissioning the work can
afford to waste money like this. This is the first rational explanation
for Brexit. Commissioning irrational, inept, inarticulate people to
deliver this historic act of self-harm is the ultimate expression of
British power. 'We are so {insert current promotional superlative} we
can afford to squander and destroy vast swathes of our resources and
opportunities.'..."

https://bit.ly/2VXoEny

Blogger rmartin49's long review of the Long Earth series:

"I think one of the biggest issues with the Long Earth series is that
it’s concept over character. More often than not, the story is focused
on at least one journey throughout the reaches of the Long Earth, giving
us gorgeous stretches of vivid description, but not always in the most
character driven way. A lot of thought is put into the mechanics and
there’s the occasional Pratchett flourish to liven up a more serious
Baxter-heavy passage. Maybe I’m doing Stephen a disservice but it feels
like a Terry influence to have your personal world hopping device