Wossname – December 2019 – main issue

News and reviews about the works of Sir Terry Pratchett wossname at pearwood.info
Wed Dec 25 14:14:36 AEDT 2019

Wossname
Hogswatch Greetings Issue
December 2019 (Volume 22, Issue 12, Post 1)

WOSSNAME is a free publication offering news, reviews, and all the other
stuff-that-fits pertaining to the works of Sir Terry Pratchett.
Originally founded by the late, great Joe Schaumburger for members of
the worldwide Klatchian Foreign Legion and its affiliates, including the
North American Discworld Society and other continental groups, Wossname
is now for Discworld and Pratchett fans everywhere in Roundworld.

Editor in Chief: Annie Mac
News Editor: Vera P
Newshounds: Mogg, Sir J of Croydon Below, the Shadow, Mss C, Alison not
Aliss
Staff Writers: Asti, Pitt the Elder, Evil Steven Dread, Mrs Wynn-Jones
Staff Technomancer: Jason Parlevliet
Book Reviews: Annie Mac, Drusilla D'Afanguin, Your Name Here
Puzzle Editor: Tiff (still out there somewhere)
Emergency Staff: Steven D'Aprano, Jason Parlevliet
World Membership Director: Steven D'Aprano (in his copious spare time)

LETTER FROM YOUR EDITOR

Greetings, O Readers!

We've shut up shop for the holidays at the Fortress of Wossname, so all
I have for you is a couple of newsbits. The first is that next year will
be known in Discworld fan-land as the Year of the Condescending Carp.
The second is that Bernard Pearson aka the Cunning Artificer has made
some of his famous "tales of my friend Terry" available to listen to for
free:

"Hark, the herald’s podcast’s here! Episode 1 of 'And He Said To Me' is
a Hogswatch treat for your ears from our founder, Bernard Pearson,
telling festive stories of The Creator with Rob Wilkins of @terryandrob,
available NOW! HAPPY HOGSWATCH ONE AND ALL!"

https://twitter.com/Discworldshoppe/status/1208679365002829824

"Although Terry left the party early, in March 2015 the echoes of the
conversations we had, the jokes we shared and the drinks I brought,
still rattle around in my head... Stories about great men sometimes miss
out the human being underneath. Terry was a world-famous author and a
genius. He also possessed a wonderful sense of humour. Sometimes
delivered in the same way you wrap an iron bar in a sock. In his case,
thankfully, it was often a rod of irony rather than heavy metal..."

https://andhesaidtome.buzzsprout.com/

The third is that the first Discworld play of the year arrives in
mid-January:

* WYRD SISTERS IN READING (JANUARY 2020)

Reading's Progress Theatre, a wonderfully ambitious company whose
wide-ranging productions have already included Mort (1997), The Fifth
Elephant (2013), and Maskerade (2018), will be staging Wyrd Sisters in
January! Melanie Sherwood and Liz Carroll return as Granny and Nanny,
and they look perfect in their roles, as does Yvonne Newton as Magrat.

"The ever-popular (Sir) Terry Pratchett OBE makes a welcome return to
the stage at Progress Theatre, in another wonderful adaptation by
Stephen Briggs. If you like your comic fantasy turned up to the maximum
you will be delighted with this show. The many people who loved our
production of Maskerade will be delighted to see the return of those
memorable characters, Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg, in this tale of
witches and royalty, loosely based on Macbeth. Very loosely... People
have travelled from far afield to see our previous productions of
Pratchett's Discworld works, so book early to avoid disappointment."

When: 16th–25th January 2020
Venue: Progress Theatre, The Mount, Reading RG1 5HL
Time: all evening shows 7.45pm, Saturday matinees 2.30pm
Tickets: £12 (concessions £10), available via
https://www.ticketsource.co.uk/progresstheatre/e-yopdab

http://progresstheatre.co.uk/2020-wyrd-sisters

...and last but far from least, a glimpse into L-space that you can even
create for yourself!

"You might have seen the words book nook popping up on social media in
recent days, along with images of crafted alleyways, and structures
acting as dividers on bookcases. The concept became popular on Reddit,
with the r/booknooks subreddit going from zero to 7,900 members in just
two days. The website defines book nooks as 'mini worlds created within
your bookshelf', usually as a diorama of an alley... There are plenty of
ways of making 'book nooks', but one that features most often is the aid
of 3D printing. 'The hardest part was to make a 3D model suitable for
printing,' said 38-year-old Konstantin Borisov, a programmer in Omsk,
Russia. 'I modelled the objects and composed them in a complete
scene...' He explained that his motivation to create the "book nook"
came down to a feeling which may be shared by many book lovers... 'I
wanted to have a door to the magic world like the hidden entrance behind
the Leaky Cauldron in Harry Potter, but in the middle of my books. When
I was thinking about this, I was thinking about the world of Terry
Pratchett's books, medieval, full of magic and humour...'"

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-50840434

The photo of that Ankh-Morpork alleyway: https://bit.ly/2QfXh5M

And that's it for 2019, except for one thing:

"A message from your friendly neighbourhood list administrator

"Dear subscribers,

"If you haven't been getting WOSSNAME recently, please check your Junk
Mail folders, and be sure to mark it as 'Not Junk'.

"If you no longer want to get WOSSNAME, we'll be sorry to see you go,
but please don't just flag it as Junk Mail, that just makes it harder
for everyone else to get their copy! Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail and others do
pay attention when you flag emails as junk mail, and when you do, you
aren't just flagging it as junk for yourself, but for everybody.

"If you want to unsubscribe, there is a link at the bottom of this email
to unsubscribe; you can also unsubscribe from the web interface here:

or just reply to this email, and I promise I will personally help.

Steven"

We hope everyone is having a Most Excellent holiday! Mind how you go,
and we'll see you next year!

– Annie Mac, Editor

This issue can be viewed on the clacks at
https://wossname.dreamwidth.org//75891.html

The End. If you have any questions or requests, write: wossname-owner
(at) pearwood (dot) info