Wossname – August 2020 – Main issue

News and reviews about the works of Sir Terry Pratchett wossname at pearwood.info
Mon Aug 31 15:00:50 AEST 2020

Wossname
August 2020 (Volume 23, Issue 8, Post 1)

WOSSNAME is a free publication offering news, reviews, and all the other
stuff-that-fits pertaining to the works of Sir Terry Pratchett.
Originally founded by the late, great Joe Schaumburger for members of
the worldwide Klatchian Foreign Legion and its affiliates, including the
North American Discworld Society and other continental groups, Wossname
is now for Discworld and Pratchett fans everywhere in Roundworld.

Editor in Chief: Annie Mac
News Editor: Vera P
Newshounds: Mogg, Sir J of Croydon Below, the Shadow, Mss C, Alison not
Aliss
Staff Writers: Asti, Pitt the Elder, Evil Steven Dread, Mrs Wynn-Jones
Staff Technomancer: Jason Parlevliet
Book Reviews: Annie Mac, Drusilla D'Afanguin, Your Name Here
Puzzle Editor: Tiff (still out there somewhere)
Emergency Staff: Steven D'Aprano, Jason Parlevliet
World Membership Director: Steven D'Aprano (in his copious spare time)

01) QUOTES OF THE MONTH
02) EDITOR'S LETTER
03) THE TIME TRAVELLING CAVEMAN: EXTRACTS AND NEWS
04) ODDS AND SODS
05) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS
06) DISCWORLD MEETING GROUPS NEWS
07) AROUND THE BLOGOSPHERE
08) IMAGES OF THE MONTH
09) CLOSE

01) QUOTES OF THE MONTH

"I believe in freedom, Mr. Lipwig. Not many people do, although they
will, of course, protest otherwise. And no practical definition of
freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences.
Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based."
– Lord Vetinari, in Going Postal

"One day it's the ringing of the bells and the casting down of the evil
tyrant, and the next it's everyone sitting around complaining that ever
since the tyrant was overthrown no one's been taking out the trash."
– Guards! Guards!

"I recorded this quite certain we wouldn't win the Hugo Award for the
Good Omens tv series. I was wrong. We won. This one is for Terry."
– Neil Gaiman, on Good Omens winning the Best Longform Dramatic
Presentation 2020 Hugo award

"A lawyer would use the term 'inspired' to cover up misselling[sic] and
misrepresentation. I believe that is what people believe has happened.
Simon Allen using his own stories and characters. Only the character
names are 'inspired' by the work of Terry Pratchett."
– tweeter Mark Alex Pidd gets it right about The Watch

"I read Fighting Fantasy a lot as a kid. I used to get in trouble with
my local library for not bringing them back. I remember a threatening
letter that they were going to take me to court if I didn't return one
of the books. I was reading a lot and I managed to lose it under my bed."
– sounds like Rhianna Pratchett takes after her reading-mad father in
their respective childhoods

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

02) LETTER FROM YOUR EDITOR

Still in severe lockdown. Hard to remember what month this is... is it
2021 yet?

Did you know that Good Omens has been translated into more than thirty
languages so far? The latest version is a "new" translation into
Russian, with cover art that ties in with the Amazon-BBC miniseries. But
as it turns out, that new translation is an old one: Eksmo (Эксмо) is a
major publisher, responsible for releasing some thirty per cent of all
books in Russia; Eksmo published a "Black Edition" translation by
Margarita Yurkan in 2012 and again in 2019 with the TV tie-in cover. But
the first Russian translation was an unofficial (samizdat) one by Vadim
Filinnov, who also translated the works of Douglas Adams. Two or more
versions of Filinnov's translation were in circulation during the 1990s
and had a large fan following, but when Eksmo decided to publish their
own version they set out to crush these... but then did the right thing,
bought the rights to the Filinnov version and republished *that* this
year! And there are several covers, including one featuring Paul Kidby's
miniseries-influenced Crowley. Confused? You will be, as an old telly
soap used to say.

At any rate, there's more info about all this on Colin Smythe's website
– and if you have or know anyone who has one of the early translation
versions, Colin would love to hear from you:

https://colinsmythe.co.uk/terry-pratchett/good-omens-neil-gaiman/

Also, the new cover illustrator's take on Aziraphale is... um...
unusual, as is his apparent decision to portray Crowley as a perfect
facsimile of the actor Liev Schreiber! See Images of the Month, below.

*

The Time-Travelling Caveman is published next week. Have you ordered a
copy yet? I have! See links in item 3.2

And now, on with the show...

– Annie Mac, Editor

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

03) THE TIME TRAVELLING CAVEMAN

3.1 REMINDER: EXTRACTS

The Time Travelling Caveman is officially released next week! Dates as
given by Penguin/Doubleday are 1st September (hardback) and 3rd
September (ebook and audiobook/CD/download); there's also a deluxe
slipcover version due out on the 8th of October. In the meantime, here
be some extracts in case you missed them last month.

* From "The Tropnecian Invasion of Britain", courtesy of The Guardian:

"Tropnecia is a very small country somewhere in the Tosheroon Islands,
but once upon a time it very nearly conquered Great Britain. In AD 411,
when the last of the Romans had just left, a small Tropnecian sailing
ship that happened to be passing spotted the coast of England, and
thought it would be a good place to conquer. That was how things were
done in history. As soon as you saw a place, you had to conquer it, and
usually the English Channel was full of ships queuing up to come and
have a good conquer. ‘If you’ve got nothing to do,’ chieftains would
tell their sons, ‘go and conquer England.’ Anyway, the Tropnecians
arrived on a Sunday, when there was no one about, so the first thing
they did was build a road. That’s another thing you have to do. Either
you burn down houses or you build roads and walls, otherwise you don’t
stand much chance of being put in the history books.

"Tropnecian roads can always be recognised because they never go in
straight lines. The roads were all designed by the famous Tropnecian
architect General Bulbus Hangdoge, and he wasn’t very good at drawing
straight lines. Very good on the corners, but very bad on the straight
lines. So all the roads were a little wobbly. At that time England was
full of Picts, Scots, Druids, Angles, Saxons, Vikings, Stonehenges, wet
weather and various kinds of kings, the most famous of which was King
Rupert the Never Ready, of Wessex. He was never ready for anything,
which was why England kept getting conquered. People would say, ‘Are you
ready to fight the Vikings if they try to conquer us?’ and he would say,
‘I don’t think so.’ The next thing you knew, Vikings were all over the
place, burning down houses...."

To read the whole extract, go to: https://bit.ly/330UPYV

* From "The Hole in Time", courtesy of Penguin Books via Terry
Pratchett.com:

"One morning, at about half past eight, there was a giant bang from the
Blackbury University Science Institute and all the clocks in the town
suddenly stopped. A dozen fire engines rushed up there, then wondered
why they’d bothered. There didn’t seem to be anything wrong. A lot of
people in white coats were rushing all over the place, but apart from
that there was nothing out of the ordinary. ‘What’s going on here?’
asked the head of the institute, Mr Plinth, who had just arrived for
work. He still had his mug of tea in his hand. A woman in a white coat,
wearing thick spectacles, rushed up. ‘Something terrible has happened!’
she gasped. ‘We’ve lost Doctor Hughes! And her laboratory! They’ve
gone!’ ‘Blown up, you mean?’ asked Mr Plinth, visibly shocked. ‘No,
they’ve disappeared! Look.’ Dr Spectacles (for this was her name)
pointed at what was actually just a patch of grass, next to the
institute. ‘Looks like just a patch of grass to me,’ said Mr Plinth.
‘Well, there was a brick building standing there just a moment ago. Now
it’s vanished.’ Mr Plinth scratched his head. Then he gingerly edged one
of his boots onto the patch of grass where the brick building had been,
while the laboratory workers stood around wondering whether he might
vanish too. A few began to back away from Mr Plinth . . . and the patch
of grass.

"Then it started to snow. At least, it snowed on that little patch of
ground. Mr Plinth stared up and saw grey clouds. He stepped off the
grass and suddenly the sun was shining again. He stepped back onto the
grass, and into a snowdrift. ‘This here ground has got its own weather,’
he said. ‘It’s in the middle of January there, by the looks of it, while
everywhere else is in August.’ ‘Ah, but which January – ’ began a portly
whitecoated man, who then stopped rather suddenly as Dr Spectacles gave
him a chilly look that would have made it snow outside the patch of
grass, as well as inside it...."

To read the whole extract, and view the reproduced illustrations, go to:
https://bit.ly/34mFWRk

3.2 ORDERING INFO

The Time Travelling Caveman can be ordered from:

Penguin: https://bit.ly/3g3PhAt and Penguin Australia:
https://bit.ly/3hXdjOj
Discworld.com: https://bit.ly/3fa7sD8
Discworld Emporium: https://bit.ly/39MT8zL
Foyles: https://www.foyles.co.uk/all?term=9780857536020
Waterstones: https://bit.ly/3gFsLxB
Blackwells: https://blackwells.co.uk/bookshop/product/9780857536020
Hive: https://bit.ly/2CNrtTe

...and in Fourecks...

Booktopia: https://bit.ly/2ChTemc
QBD Books: https://bit.ly/3f5IYLn
Readings: https://bit.ly/2Cn9jqs
Dymocks: https://bit.ly/3fd4AX9
Angus and Robertson: https://bit.ly/31ZRicE

...and other places, including that evil one your Editor refuses to
promote, ever.

If at all possible, please support your local independent bookshop!

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

04) ODDS AND SODS

4.0 HUGO AWARD FOR THE GOOD OMENS MINISERIES

 From the Guardian:

"[B]est longform dramatic presentation went to Good Omens, written by
Neil Gaiman and directed by Douglas Mackinnon. Accepting the prize,
Gaiman said that he only made the show because the late Pratchett
.wanted me to.. .Terry never won a Hugo. The only time he was nominated
he withdrew the novel from consideration, telling people that if he had
a book nominated it would ruin his WorldCon. It wasn’t that he didn’t
care, it was that he cared too much,. said Gaiman. Pratchett had
thought, said Gaiman, that a Hugo would never go 'to anything funny..
.Thank you,' he told fans, 'for giving Terry Pratchett his Hugo award'..."

https://bit.ly/2ELW83J

Neil Gaiman's acceptance speech (video, 2:39): https://bit.ly/2EvPUp5

...and the transcript:

"Terry never won a Hugo, the only time he was nominated for a Hugo
Award, he actually withdrew the novel from consideration, telling people
that if he had a book nominat­ed for a Hugo it would ruin his WorldCon
worrying. It wasn’t that he didn’t care. It was that he cared too much.
For all the wards that he got, for call the acclamation, for all the
honors and the love heaped upon Terry during his lifetime, the one he
really cared about was the Hugo Award. And he would grumble about it to
me, pointing out that he was never going to get one, because they were
never going to give a Hugo Award to anything funny..."

To read the entire transcript, go to https://bit.ly/3jtVO8Z and scroll
to the penultimate item at the bottom.

4.1 THE PRATCHETT PROJECT UPDATES

"The Pratchett Project at Trinity College Dublin is seeking expressions
of interest from outstanding candidates who would like to apply for a
Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship in order to complete a
PhD in a subject related to Terry Pratchett's life and/or work from
September 2021. If you are interested, please formulate an abstract of
no more than 300 words. Be sure to include:

* The overarching research question
* A step-by-step methodology
* A clear list of the materials your study will draw on
* A justification for why the answer to this research question is a
valuable contribution to human knowledge
* Any contextual information that a reader needs to understand the other
four points.

Once you have your abstract, please send it to James Hadley
(hadleyj at tcd.ie). The most promising applicants will receive assistance
in crafting their full proposals."

For more information about the scheme, including the minimum
requirements for applicants, go to:
http://research.ie/funding/goipg/?f=postgraduate

https://bit.ly/3lwSwDw

REMINDER: the Pratchett Project virtual conference takes place next
month, on the 17th and 18th September. The two-day symposium will cover
topics including Utopian Critique in Nation (David Farnell), Space in
Pratchett's Narrative Networks (Matthew Roughan), Political idealism in
the Discworld Novels (Ruchira Mandal), Humour, parody and satire in
Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels (Kamil Kaaras), Pratchett and
Contemporary Pessimism (Oliver Rendle), The Move from Fantasy Parody to
Moral Complexity and Literary Fiction in the Ankh-Morpork Novels
(Ricarda Krenn), Bad Faith and the Crab Bucket (Samuel Poots), and
Incorporating Terry Pratchett's Fiction in the University Curriculum
(Olena Tykhomyrova), among others.

"Split into four sections over the two days, the conference will focus
on The Space of Ideas, Translation and Humour, Ethics and Identity, and
Research and Teaching. Scheduled sessions include The Big Wahoonie:
Ankh-Morpork as Cross-Media Urban Imaginary; Translating Pratchett into
Ukrainian: Strategies and Challenges; The Move from Fantasy Parody to
Moral Complexity and Literary Fiction in the Ankh Morpork-novels; and
'Lies to children': From folk to formal science in Terry Pratchett's
Discworld."

For more details, go to: https://bit.ly/2P50Uv5
To sign up, go to: https://bit.ly/39EQ34k

https://bit.ly/2ExDwED

4.2 UPDATES: THE TERRY PRATCHETT BOOK CLUB

On the website of publishers Tor, Emmet Asher-Perrin continues a
Discworld discussion page. This time around it's the last part of The
Light Fantastic and the first parts of Equal Rites.

On the end section of The Light Fantastic:

"I dearly appreciate how Pratchett describes the smell of Ankh-Morpork
through analogy for a very particular reason – I have a terrible sense
of smell. So really, the analogy is more evocative for me on a number of
levels. It was something that I had to bring up because scent is, of
course, one of the most evocative of our five senses (tied to memory and
all that), but often harder to describe than the others. So, I have a
lot of emotion-things about Twoflower putting his profound lack of
common sense to good use, turning all of Rincewind’s complaints back on
him and literally saying 'I’m here because I don’t know any better, but
what about you?' I also have a lot of emotion-things about the fact that
Twoflower doesn’t crack the spines of books because I am one of those
weirdos, too, even though I wish I wasn’t. Sorry, it’s very silly, I
know that, but I don’t like doing it because then you can’t read the
spines and it’s a thing I’m finicky about... It’s also pretty great to
see Trymon get his comeuppance. I didn’t really get into it throughout
the book, but you have to appreciate the way Pratchett walks a line with
this character: He doesn’t say that the old ways are the best ways – he
acknowledges that the old ways are often pretty ridiculous while
simultaneously acknowledging the fact that new ways can sometimes be
heinously abused by those who want to introduce them. The problem with
Trymon isn’t that he has newfangled thoughts, it’s that he’s using that
system purely for personal gain. The fact that he’s Rincewind’s
contemporary is important in this because they’re both outcasts in the
wizardly ways of doing things, but one of them is decidedly less
power-hungry and world-endy..."

https://bit.ly/2YNF705

...and the start of Equal Rites:

"This book actually began with a talk that Pratchett gave on gender and
magic in 1985. In addition, Esk was apparently based on his daughter,
Rhianna. And in his conceit for the premise, outlined by this speech, he
basically says that his belief in the difference between what is labeled
'men’s magic' and 'women’s magic' is not truly down to sexism and
devaluing women’s labor and expertise, but in fact a bit more cerebral –
he believes that wizards are about what people hope they could be if
they had power, and witches are about what we fear we might become.
Which, you know, it’s a totally valid way of looking at branches of
magic and how we depict them in literature..."

https://bit.ly/3bbgDTz

...continued...

"Plenty of fantasy tomes and games trade on the concept of 'races' and
'peoples' and throw around words like 'gypsy' and 'bandits', and you
find yourself cringing because why do it at all? Categorization is
needed in parts of worldbuilding, but it’s often an ugly and deeply
biased exercise, no matter how hard an author tries to be smart and
sensitive about their construction of a fictional world. I think one of
the reasons that Pratchett manages it far better than others is the
reason why Discworld continues to be so relevant and sharp decades later
– he knows that people are just people..."

https://bit.ly/3lwSH1E

[As previously mentioned, these are well worth a read, and feel free to
join in the comments! – Ed.]

4.3 YORKSHIRE TAKES ON THE AMAZING MAURICE

Sheffield animation studio Red Star has a new project on the go. Some
might find it amusing that founder Mr Smith was "acclaimed for the
visual effects used in Lost in Space". At least he's not *Doctor* Smith!

"Red Star 3D creates its own films which are shown in cinemas, theme
parks, museums and other venues. Its most recent creation, StarDog and
TurboCat, opened in cinemas last December and is currently available on
Amazon. Founded in 2004 by Ben Smith and Jan Rogowski, it is recognised
as one of the leading independent studios of its type worldwide and has
won dozens of awards and nominations at film festivals. The company,
which currently employs 10 people at the Electric Works base, is
planning to create an additional 40 jobs in the next two years... A
second feature production, The Amazing Maurice – based on the book by
Sir Terry Pratchett – is just getting underway..."

https://bit.ly/2ELKZQs

4.4 PTERRY AND ROALD DAHL: A MEETING OF GIANTS

Way back in the late 1960s, when Sir Terry was a young journalist, he
interviewed a certain local writer who was waiting to see if another of
his books would be turned into a film... in The Telegraph, Dalya Alberge
tells a bit about it:

"As two of English literature’s best-loved writers of comic fantasy, the
discovery of a previously-unknown conversation between the late Sir
Terry Pratchett and Roald Dahl would be the stuff of fantasy for legions
of fans worldwide. But evidence that they met and discussed the dearth
of plots and the difficulty of writing children’s books, among other
topics, has been unearthed. It is an interview that Pratchett conducted
with Dahl in 1969, overlooked until now. Long before he found fame with
his Discworld series, a collection of satirical fantasy novels, he was a
21-year-old journalist on a local newspaper with dreams of publishing
his first novel. Dahl, then 52, had already published his children’s
classics, Charlie and The Chocolate Factory and James and The Giant
Peach, as well as short stories for adults and screenplays..."

https://bit.ly/3gIsYjt

The original article reveals all sorts of things most of us might not
have known – that Dahl, was mostly known back then in Britain as the
husband of actress Patricia Neal and the screenwriter for the Bond film
You Only Live Twice, that he was a Squadron Leader in the RAF during the
Second World War, and that overall he wasn't terribly impressed with
artists who thought their art was important – but what the article also
shows is hints of the young Pratchett's clean and succinct writing
style: "The recently published Penguin edition of ‘Kiss Kiss’, a
collection that first appeared in 1959, has as its gripping cover design
a man slowly sinking into a mincing machine. This is a gross libel on
some of his stories. The horror is often more subtle than that. So it is
perhaps surprising that Mr. Dahl, at 53, has been building up for some
years a reputation as a writer for children. His fourth book, ‘Boggis,
Bunce and Bean’, is at the publishers. The best-known of the other
three, ‘Charlie and the Chocolate Factory’, has sold over 100,000 in
America and is selling more every month..."

[Editor's note: the entire transcript is on the Wossname blog at
https://bit.ly/3gHji8E – hopefully, no one will rise from the distant
past to complain. Many thanks to Colin Smythe for providing your Editor
with an iconograph of the article!]

4.5 THE MERCH CORNER

This month's feature is Discworld stage adaptations! Oberon Books, a
Bloomsbury imprint, have published a number of Stephen Briggs' Discworld
stage adaptations in paperback...

* The Rince Cycle

"As a punishment, failed wizard Rincewind is given the task of guiding
and safeguarding the Disc’s first tourist, Twoflower (with his magical
luggage on legs). As they travel the city and beyond, they meet the
world’s oldest hero, Cohen the Barbarian. With him, and with Bethan (a
qualified sacrificial victim), they encounter druids, trolls,
adventurers, a hairdresser and a power-crazed wizard. Oh, and Death. But
not fatally. Did we mention that Rincewind also has to save the world
from destruction by a huge red star that will collide with the Discworld
at Hogswatch? The Rince Cycle is mostly based on The Light Fantastic,
with bits of The Colour of Magic and Sourcery added for good measure."

https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/the-rince-cycle-9781783191963/

* Unseen Academicals: https://bit.ly/34O84x2

* Feet of Clay: https://bit.ly/3gIJnnG

* All the Discworld's a Stage: Volume 1 (omnibus edition, includes The
Rince Cycle, Unseen Academicals, and Feet of Clay):
https://bit.ly/2EJVaVI

* All the Discworld's a Stage: Volume 2 (omnibus edition, includes The
Shakespeare Codex, Lords and Ladies, and Hogfather) will be released
later this year. More details as soon as available!

And not forgetting...

Interesting Times: https://bit.ly/32DPogG
The Fifth Elephant: https://bit.ly/32CWwtH
Jingo: https://bit.ly/3gJJfof
Going Postal: https://bit.ly/3b85fbd
Monstrous Regiment: https://bit.ly/34MOaCz
The Truth: https://bit.ly/2YQ9lzP
Night Watch: https://bit.ly/34NqgXm

Many of these are also available in ebook form.

Oberon on Mr Briggs: "As all children know, the way you get into a
fantasy world is by accident… You go into the wardrobe, looking for
somewhere to hide and – bingo. And that’s how Stephen Briggs found
Discworld. In 1990, he wrote to ask Terry if he could stage Wyrd
Sisters. That was the first time anyone, anywhere in the world, had
dramatised Terry’s work. He had no idea it would go any further than one
play (possibly two). But it did. So far, he has now adapted, staged and
published twenty-two plays. He and Terry also worked together to produce
the original Discworld Maps and Diaries, Nanny Ogg's Cookbook, The
Discworld Companion (now called Turtle Recall) and The Wit & Wisdom of
Discworld."

http://oberonbooks.com/discworld-collection

https://www.stephenbriggs.com/the-plays

* Reminder: The Ankh-Morpork Archives Volume One

"Think you know Ankh-Morpork? Think again. In this top-secret guide,
travellers will receive a first-hand experience of the real city. If
you’ve ever wondered where Unseen University students wet their whistles
(while managing to avoid their teachers doing the same), or just what
the Assassins’ Guild constitutes a proper means of inhumation – there
are standards to be upheld, after all – then this is the book for you.
That’s right, have yourselves a peek into the inner workings of city’s
societies. Cut the chaff, glimpse behind the curtain, see how the
sausage gets made . . . err, you get the idea. Just don’t let the
Thieves’ Guild catch you with this book. They won’t appreciate their
methods being flogged behind their back. Flogging’s their job.
Completely revamped and redesigned, this full-colour book contains
material from Discworld Diaries across the decades."

Each copy of The Ankh-Morpork Archives, Volume One is priced at £25. For
more info, and to order, go to https://bit.ly/3gi8nCg

* The Ankh-Morpork Archives, Volume Two

"Containing material unavailable for twenty years – this is a
comprehensive guide to the capital city of Terry Pratchett’s Discworld,
getting to the heart of Ankh-Morpork’s secrets, societies and guilds.
Ankh-Morpork is a bottomless pit of secrets. It’s time to unearth a few
more . . . In the second volume of this confidential guide, brave
travellers are made privy to the inner workings of more illustrious
Ankh-Morpork societies. Disabuse yourself of notions of professionalism
under which you may hold the City Watch; discover what serious business
is undertaken by the Fools’ Guild (joking is no laughing matter); and,
should you be lucky, achieve true enlightenment through the teachings of
Lu-Tze. One thing’s for sure: after you’ve read this book,
Ankh-Morpork’s Guilds are going to need to come up with new ways of
doing things. Completely revamped and redesigned, this full-colour book
contains material from Discworld Diaries across the decades."

Each copy of The Ankh-Morpork Archives, Volume Two is priced at £25 and
will be published on 29th October 2020. For more info, and to pre-order,
go to:

https://bit.ly/3lxmhUV

* Reminder: Ankh-Morpork City Watch Journal

"In a city like Ankh-Morpork, where Assassins assassinate, thieves
thieve and seamstresses, um . . . don’t, Law and Order can be a
complicated business. Thankfully His Grace, His Excellency, The Duke of
Ankh, Commander Sir Samuel Vimes (Blackboard Monitor) and the
Ankh-Morpork City Watch are here to keep the peace. The finest body of
men, women, dwarfs, trolls, werewolves, golems, Igors, gnomes, Feegles,
vampires (and whatever Nobby Nobbs is) on the face of the Discworld! The
Ankh-Morpork City Watch Journal provides jotting space for your notes,
reports, observations and investigations, so kick back, relax and take
down your particulars. To help you keep on the straight and narrow,
you’ll be aided and abetted by some choice quotes from Terry Pratchett’s
seminal City Watch novels."

Each Ankh-Morpork City Watch Journal ("Exclusively embossed with Terry's
signature and sealed with his coat of arms") is priced at £17. For more
info, and to pre-order, go to:

https://bit.ly/31jaHVy

* Reminder: The Magic of Terry Pratchett (biography)

"Journalist, comedian and Pratchett fan Marc Burrows delves into the
back story of one of UK's most enduring and beloved authors, from his
childhood in the Chiltern Hills to his time as a journalist, and the
journey that would take him – via more than sixty best-selling books –
to an OBE, a knighthood and national treasure status. The Magic Of Terry
Pratchett is the result of painstaking archival research alongside
interviews with friends and contemporaries who knew the real man under
the famous black hat, helping to piece together the full story of one of
British literature's most remarkable and beloved figures for the very
first time."

There are several versions that will be available, starting with the
standard edition (currently priced at £16), the fancier Snapcase edition
(£21), and the Patrician Box (£35.00, featuring various extras). For
more information, and to order, go to:

https://www.askmeaboutterrypratchett.com/s/shop

https://twitter.com/20thcenturymarc

4.6 LIBRARIANS, THROWING SHADE? SURELY NOT... NOT

Librarians rock! Of course, we already knew that. Those of you who
follow https://twitter.com/OED, the Oxford English Dictionary's Twitter
account, may have noticed that account's frequent shade-throwing over
the past few years in the form of its "Word of the Day" tweets, a great
number of which are subtle yet plain digs at current events. But some
bibliophile – school librarian or perhaps English teacher – has take
that to the next level, with a display of carefully chosen book titles
lining the shelves behind a certain prime minister as he made a speech
about er um education-related current events...

"Meanwhile, the bookshelf behind him seemed to make a statement of its
own. Lining the shelf just behind Mr Johnson's head were titles with
rather unflattering associations for any political leader, including
'The Twits', 'The Subtle Knife', 'The Resistance', and 'Betrayed'. And
sticking out like a sore thumb was 'Fahrenheit 451', a dystopian novel
about a society where books are banned. If you look closely, 'Guards!
Guards!', a Terry Pratchett novel, can also be glimpsed behind the PM's
right shoulder. The story follows a plot by a secret brotherhood to
overthrow a corrupt patrician and install a puppet king..."

Of course, The Patrician in question, as *we* know, isn't corrupt. If
only life would imitate art more often.

https://bit.ly/3lwTu2C

You might also enjoy reading the many replies to the official Pterry
Twitter account's "caption contest" for that iconograph:

https://twitter.com/terryandrob/status/1298652299766702082

Meanwhile, in the Department of Plausible Deniability:

"Now it has been revealed that the books were in fact a message, left by
the school’s former librarian. But the librarian, who left the role
around six months ago, says it was actually intended for the school’s
bosses... 'I did it as a message for the school management before I left
in February... They obviously never actually noticed, and it went
untouched for six months'..."

https://bit.ly/2EPw5si

4.7 GAMING WITH MY DAD: RHIANNA PRATCHETT INTERVIEW

Here be a delightful interview with Junior Pratchett, by Tom Tivnan for
The Bookseller. Great fun to read!

"'I’ve been playing video games since I was six years old. At first, dad
played the games and I used to watch them and map the games out; it was
a bit of a spectator sport, a bonding time between us. He had this very
big office chair and I would kind of tuck myself behind him like a human
bolster cushion. In my teens, we would watch each other play and we
would be emotionally in it together. I got his hand-me-down machines, so
I used to play games that he had played first...' Gaming wasn’t just
with her dad. A friend’s father worked for HP, so she always had the
most up-to-date kit and the two would play 'a lot of age-inappropriate
stuff' like Leisure Suit Larry, the somewhat infamous classic whose
adult-themed story line has the titular character, a 40-year-old,
balding, double-entendre-spewing nerd, trying to seduce young women. 'It
was very educational,' Pratchett insists. 'To get past the "are you over
18" test you had to answer "adult" questions about things like the
American political system, which I had to look up. I learned the word
prophylactic from the game when I was about 11.' Outside of Leisure Suit
Larry, much of Pratchett's early life seems very wholesome. Her father’s
books didn’t hit the bestseller lists until the late '80s so the family
didn’t have that much money for much of her childhood. She says: 'It was
very rural and pastoral. We lived in a little cottage on the edge of a
valley, had a veggie patch, chickens and ducks in the back garden and
goats in the front. You could probably find people doing this in
Islington, but they do it for hobbies⁠ – we did it because we needed the
food and the milk. I used to run around the valley, climb trees, go
walking...I was probably among the last generation of kids allowed to be
free in nature. And, I could milk a goat and knew how to spin wool,
probably very useful in a post-apocalyptic scenario....'"

https://www.thebookseller.com/insight/rhianna-pratchett-1216975

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

05) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS

Still no news. But keep an eye out for possible forthcoming Discworld
plays later in the year. We must keep the knowledge of Discworld
circulating!

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

06) DISCWORLD MEETING GROUPS NEWS

Remember, one day, possibly in the not too distant future, Discworld
fans will be able to meet in the real Roundworld again. So keep this
information handy! Also note there are a few updates below.

The Broken Drummers, "London's Premier Unofficially Official Discworld
Group"
BrokenDrummers at gmail.com or nicholls.helen at yahoo.co.uk or join their
Facebook group at https://bit.ly/3jtYLGo

NOTE: the Drummers are still meeting occasionally via Zoom. Check out
the above links for updates!

*

Drumknott's Irregulars
Facebook https://bit.ly/31FlSrq or Google Groups
https:groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/drumknotts-irregulars or join us
at our next event."

*

The Victorian Discworld Klatch
https://www.facebook.com/groups/VictorianDiscworldKlatch

*

"The Gathering of the Loonies (Wincanton chapter)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/373578522834654/

*

The Pratchett Partisans
https://www.facebook.com/groups/pratchettpartisans/ or contact Ula
directly at uwilmott at yahoo.com.au

*

The City of Small Gods
www.cityofsmallgods.org.au

UPDATE: "What are we doing while we're stuck at home due to COVID-19?
Given that our normal social gatherings can't happen while everyone's
under lockdown due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are instead trying to
host regular activities and discussions online. Most of these will be
done via our Discord Server – https://discord.gg/3RVzsyJ – which has
several text chat channels and a few voice chat channels as well. We
will still use our Facebook group –
https://facebook.com/groups/cityofsmallgods – to coordinate scheduled
events. When things get back to normal... (semi-) regular social
meetings are generally held on the last Thursday of the month at a pub
or restaurant in Adelaide. We have dinner at 6.30pm followed by games
until 9pm."

*

The Broken Vectis Drummers
broken_vectis_drummers at yahoo.co.uk

*

The Wincanton Omnian Temperance Society (WOTS) meets at Wincanton's
famous Bear Inn when social gatherings are possible.

*

The Northern Institute of the Ankh-Morpork and District Society of
Flatalists normally meet at The Narrowboat Pub in Victoria Street,
Skipton, North Yorkshire, Details of future meetings are posted on the
Events section of the Discworld Stamps forum:
http://www.discworldstamps.co.uk/forum/

*

Sydney Drummers (formerly Drummers Downunder)
Contact Sue (aka Granny Weatherwax): kenworthys at yahoo.co.uk

*

The Treacle Mining Corporation, formerly known as Perth Drummers
https://bit.ly/2EKSCqu – or message Alexandra Ware directly at
<alexandra.ware at gmail.com>

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

07) AROUND THE BLOGOSPHERE

Blogger Sorcha "Nordie" Ogle reviews Mort:

"I reread this in 2020, during the pandemic, and I definitely consider
this as a *Comfort* read. Yes, every reader needs to decide what they
class as *comfort* and some may see reading a book where the main
character collects souls as a bit morbid, but that is not what I take
from this. This book has Love, Romance, Morals, Doing the Right Thing,
Responsibility, Thinking of the long game (and others), self identity,
cultural perception and ultimately, the delivery of a damn fine line –
preferably whilst walking through a wall like it is not there. Some of
the comfort for me came from the expectation of certain lines/jokes,
some of which did not appear in this book (It turns out I miss the
stories of the other 3 horsemen of the apocalypse going down the pub
more than I realised). That means they appear in other books, so I need
to do a full re-read..."

https://bit.ly/2QDRRSB

Blogger Book Beach Bunny found some aspects of Reaper Man confusing:

"Death is forcibly retired and goes to work on a farm- one I knew I
would like because I like Death… And the damned trolleys had me so
confused! Don’t get me wrong this was still a good Discworld but like so
many other things in Discworld it was the damned wizard part that
confused it... I enjoyed the book overall and the stuff with Death is
actually really deep and meaningful. In some ways I’ve found this the
most meaningful Discworld book yet which is probably why the comedy felt
so off for the first time..."

https://bit.ly/3b8WcXv

...whereas blogger Hedwig caught on sooner:

"One thing that I was pushed to understand at first was what exactly the
disaster was or might be that was coming to mess up the city this time
and how exactly it tied in to what was happening between death and the
Wizard story line... It was hard to tie how this thing represented
itself and how it could possibly tie in with the other chaos where in
the last few books it was becoming clear after a bit where these events
are linked to each other. That being said however, this is a character
book more than anything. There are two main perspectives here, Death of
course but also Windle Poons the old wizard that I have often pointed
out has the perfect name for a cat. That was something that I wasn’t set
up for so I felt very much like I was lacking on the Death content when
I first started reading. However old Poons does grow on you very quickly
and by the end of the book I was VERY attached to him and his heroics
and struggles..."

https://bit.ly/32FKAra

Blogger Rosie Writes reviews Marc Burrows' biography:

"Burrows is not uncritical of Pratchett, pointing out where reality and
the Pratchett anecdote diverge. We learn about the masks STP wore for
different audiences. His interviews were always filled with prepared one
liners that could seem to be ‘off the cuff’ remarks, and he was a ‘jolly
old elf’ for fans at conventions and signings. Possibly his wife and
closest friends saw the real Terry. It’s not really for us to know, let
him remain the ‘jolly old elf’ telling stories, filled with anger at the
unfair ways of the world and the message to be decent to each other.
This biography highlights the breadth of his oeuvre, and the continuing
themes that arose in the much tweaked The Carpet People and continued
across all his books..."

https://bit.ly/3bcjegg

...as does blogger 8outof10:

"After his untimely death in 2015, I kicked myself that I’d never felt
the urge to try and meet him, and tell him how much his work meant to
me, or maybe even shake his hand. Unlike a lot of fans I never went to
any book signings or conventions; I guess I thought I was too young to
begin with, and as an adult I was afraid I’d meet my hero and be
disappointed. Crucially, I think I was more afraid he’d be disappointed
in me, so there wasn’t a cat in Hell’s chance I’d jeopardise my special
bond with Terry by doing something stupid like actually meeting him.
Nevertheless, after he passed, I was more than a little sad that I’d
missed the chance to know the man behind all those wonderful stories,
however brief that experience might have been. I’m happy to say then,
that in reading The Magic of Terry Pratchett, by journalist, musician
and comedian Marc Burrows, I have the next best thing... If you’re also
a fan of trivia, like me, you’ll revel in the many fascinating and often
funny titbits regarding the author’s life and work. From Terry’s
profound appetite for reading, to how Good Omens (in collaboration with
the excellent Neil Gaiman) came to be, right down to explaining (sort
of) where the city of Ankh-Morpork gets its name, there are plenty of
moments that will make you laugh out loud or mutter 'bloody hell!' where
Burrows highlights some of Terry’s more astounding achievements.

"This isn’t to say that this book leaves Pratchett up there on a
pedestal though. I was afraid that any biography about Terry might be
tediously fawning or – worse still – mean-spirited, but you may rest
assured that Burrows’ book hits the mark perfectly here, celebrating
Terry’s life and work while depicting him honestly as a human being with
the same imperfections as the rest of us..."

https://bit.ly/3jqcn5y

Blogger and author D K Powell's take on Strata:

"I am a big Terry Pratchett fan and simply adore his Discworld novels.
I’m not going to be completely unbiased then when it comes to his work.
And what a gem ‘Strata’ promised to be! One of his earliest books,
written in 1981, exploring in infant form what would become the
Discworld itself. What an opportunity to see an early foray into that
universe. Well, sure enough, it was fascinating – but it wasn’t the
well-honed Pratchett I know and love. The story was pretty much a sci-fi
of the type that was very common in the 80s, post-Star Wars. The were
plenty of witty remarks from the gaggle of characters, but none of the
brilliant humour and repartee that the author’s later characters would
engage in. The Discworld itself is a shadow – almost a caricature – of
what that world would come to be. All of this makes for disappointment.
But – and this is important – it is still Pratchett, and this means
that, even in this early attempt, the writing is solid – the story as
good as anything else that was on the market at the time. As a throwaway
trashy sci-fi it is perfect. You would certainly read this book and be
perfectly satisfied before then sending it off to the charity shops,
rather than keep it on your shelves..."

https://bit.ly/2GdcpiX

Blogger Steve takes on the entire Discworld series:

"I initially confused Discworld with a different book I saw on my
brother’s bookshelf as a child – Ringworld or something like that. The
cover had someone riding a dragon and an island city floating in the
clouds? I didn’t expect the humorous wizzarding antics of Rincewind in
the first novel at all, but it was a refreshing change of pace and
escape from current events, so I settled in for a good long listen
thinking it would be some good fun. Humor is not the whole of these
books, though. The insights to come caused me to pause the audiobook at
several points, rewind, replay, and then pause again so I could think
for a bit, completely taken aback at the insight Pratchett just threw at
me... I think these books are important. I want my children to read
these. I want my wife to read these. I want my parents to read these. I
want to talk to someone about this stuff who gets it. I want to
reminisce about moments both funny and profound. I want to have deep
conversations at the pub about metaphysical quandaries regarding the
speed of light and the speed of dark..."

https://yourturndad.com/2020/07/30/discworld/

Blogger The Reading Bug is back with a review of Going Postal:

"It is quickly apparent that Gilt is the villain of the piece, is behind
the deaths of the previous Postmasters, and plans to remove Moist as
soon as possible. This is just the beginning of an extraordinarily
action-packed novel – there’s a wonderfully rich cast of junior
characters such as pin-collector Stanley Howler; Sacharissa Cripslock,
reporter for the Ankh-Morpork Times (first introduced in The Truth); and
Anghammarad, a nineteen thousand year-old golem waiting for the end of
the world. There’s a fire, a visit to the Mended Drum, a race to Genua,
and guest appearances from the Watch and the wizards of the Unseen
University, to mention just a few highlights. Romance is provided by
another of Pratchett’s amazing strong women: golem-rights activist and
chain smoker Adora Belle Dearheart. It’s all utterly wonderful. Moist is
another brilliantly realised creation in all his complexity and carries
the weight of the narrative effortlessly. The moment he realises his
responsibility for Adora’s loss of her job (which the television
adaptation made even more dramatic in a very effective edit) is
extraordinary... In fact, I am giving serious consideration to starting
my own minor religion based on the words of wisdom found in Going Postal
alone. If you read a sentence like this in a book of philosophy you
would almost certainly nod your head in agreement and appreciate the
author’s wisdom and sagacity..."

https://bit.ly/2YNpKES

...and of The Wee Free Men:

"Pratchett’s ability to create fully-rounded female characters always
astounds me, and here he does it again, entering imaginatively into the
mind of a precocious young girl and getting it pitch perfect. I can’t
think of another author of his generation who writes such brilliantly
fierce, independent and strong women as Pratchett. They are not just
adornments to his novels, they are centralised and given distinctive
voices which articulate the reality of their lives. Of course a man can
never fully understand what it is to live the life of a woman, but
Pratchett does an amazing job of trying. And he defies stereotypes at
each turn, not in a self-conscious .I am going to create a gender-fluid
character to show how progressive I am. way, but because such characters
genuinely interest him. Although this is a younger reader’s novel,
there’s nothing patronising or simplified about the story – it is
nuanced, layered, and contains several moments of genuine peril. The bad
guys have grim-hounds, dream-stealers and things too scary to describe,
and are led by a witch several times scarier than anything in Narnia..."

https://bit.ly/3lBxkN0

Blogger Jessica Bookworm's review of Lords and Ladies:

Let’s face it, in times of trouble, stress and general craziness, we all
need a bit of Terry Pratchett in our lives... Boy, is there a lot going
on in this book, but somehow it just all works! I never really thought
anything could come close to how much I love the madcap Wyrd Sisters,
which is the first book to feature the witches and is also another
Shakespearian parody, of Macbeth in this case. But apparently, Pratchett
and Shakespeare must be a match made in heaven for me... So all in all,
I thought Lords and Ladies was another hilariously fun read, which I
laughed my way through whilst out basking in the early, Spring sunshine..."

https://bit.ly/2GdclzJ

Blogger Burfoa read Nation together with his teenaged son:

"Pratchett compares and contrasts the disparate cultures and beliefs
upon which Mao[sic] and Daphne’s respective views of the world are
founded and blends their different knowledge and skills to combat their
vulnerability and attendant dangers. It’s a thrilling adventure. Babies
to be birthed, raiders to be repelled, food to be chewed for the
toothless. Indeed, part of the book’s appeal is possibly this Dahl-esque
indulgence in the unexpected, the violent, the gross. But, it is also
touching in parts and even the burgeoning relationship between the two
main characters was tolerated in all its subtle sensitivity. In many
ways this is a ‘right[sic] of passage’ book and the emergence of the two
young adults, stepping out into their prescribed futures, forever bonded
by their experience, is quite uplifting..."

https://burfobookish.blog/2020/08/12/nation-building/

And finally, blogger Come to the Pedlar enthuses over Wyrd Sisters:

"Discworld stories featuring the Witches tend to be among Terry
Pratchett’s best, especially for the consistency of their parody... The
brilliance of the witches as characters is their no-nonsense bathos in
respect of absolutely everything. This allows Pratchett to have his cake
and eat it. In the city of Lancre, surrounded by vertiginous cliffs and
sentient permanent storms, he constructs a sincere story of an evil Duke
and Duchess who kill the king, take over the kingdom, and are threatened
by the presence of folk magic and by the possibility that the long-lost
heir may one day return. But Granny Weatherwax (returning from Equal
Rites), Nanny Ogg and Magrat don’t have any truck with narrative, and
the biting questions of Granny and Nanny especially seek to undercut
anything overblown with basic country common-sense and a hilariously
literal way of understanding the world... But perhaps the most important
character introduced in this book is Lancre itself, briefly seen in
Equal Rites but coming here into full focus. The hills, forests and
creatures of this mountainous region even manifest a personality, the
land aggrieved at finding itself under a new king who hates it. And the
land itself begins affecting everything, including the theatre..."

https://bit.ly/3gIvgPs

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

08) IMAGES OF THE MONTH

American educators Jennifer Quinn and Mark Owen Martin's "light art"
collaboration made to commemorate the Good Omens series' Hugo Award. Sir
Pterry and science, a perfect combination:
https://twitter.com/markowenmartin/status/1293212838404616192

The cover of the "new" Russian translation of Good Omens,
idiosyncratically illustrated by Anatoly Dubrovik:
https://bit.ly/3ltToca

Some superb Discworld art by Loopydave! Granny and Nanny:
https://bit.ly/3jxCvvv

The Band with Rocks In: https://bit.ly/2Qzxeai

The Night Watch: https://bit.ly/3lvPQGr

Ridcully: https://bit.ly/31M4BgB

...and a fabulous one of Moist von Lipwig, mounted on Boris:
https://bit.ly/2YNZGK0

09) CLOSE

Right then, that's it for now. Mind how you go, and we hope to see you
next month!

– Annie Mac

This issue can be viewed on the clacks at
https://wossname.dreamwidth.org/79137.html

The End. If you have any questions or requests, write: wossname-owner
(at) pearwood (dot) info

Copyright (c) 2020 by Wossname for the Klatchian Foreign Legion