Wossname – May 2021 – Main issue

News and reviews about the works of Sir Terry Pratchett wossname at pearwood.info
Mon May 24 18:18:42 AEST 2021

Wossname
May 2021 (Volume 24, Issue 5, Post 1)

WOSSNAME is a free publication offering news, reviews, and all the other
stuff-that-fits pertaining to the works of Sir Terry Pratchett.
Originally founded by the late, great Joe Schaumburger for members of
the worldwide Klatchian Foreign Legion and its affiliates, including the
North American Discworld Society and other continental groups, Wossname
is now for Discworld and Pratchett fans everywhere in Roundworld.

Editor in Chief: Annie Mac
News Editor: Vera P
Newshounds: Mogg, Sir J of Croydon Below, the Shadow, Mss C, Alison not
Aliss
Staff Writers: Asti, Pitt the Elder, Evil Steven Dread, Mrs Wynn-Jones
Staff Technomancer: Jason Parlevliet
Book Reviews: Annie Mac, Drusilla D'Afanguin, Your Name Here
Puzzle Editor: Tiff (still out there somewhere)
Emergency Staff: Steven D'Aprano, Jason Parlevliet
World Membership Director: Steven D'Aprano (in his copious spare time)

01) QUOTES OF THE MONTH
02) EDITOR'S LETTER
03) ODDS AND SODS
04) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS
05) DISCWORLD MEETING GROUPS NEWS
06) IMAGES OF THE MONTH
07) CLOSE

01) QUOTES OF THE MONTH

"I am always at some point through the cycle (I’m currently on The Thief
of Time). They’re not only gloriously funny, they’re humane in a way
that makes you actually feel seen and forgiven, with all your faults. He
was a one-off, Sir Terry. When I finish reading them through, I simply
put the last book down and pick the first one up again."
– genre author Patrick Ness

"DW books don't have chapters because, well, I just never got into the
habit of chapters. I'm not sure why they should exist (except maybe in
children's books, to allow the parent to say "I'll read to the end of
the chapter and then you must go to sleep."). Films don't have chapters.
Besides, I think they interfere with the shape of the story. Use a
bookmark is my advice."
– Sir Pterry was wise. Listen to Sir Pterry

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

02) LETTER FROM YOUR EDITOR

Looking back over assorted years of May Wossname issues just now, I
discovered to my astonishment that the Glorious 25th has rarely been
mentioned in Wossname and wasn't mentioned at all last year even on the
Wossname mirror site! As of May 2021, Lilac Day will have come around
for thirteen years on Roundworld, so I'm reposting the Lilac Day links
from the May 2017 issue in hope that it will jog my memory next year:

This one means well: "The Glorious Twenty-Fifth of May, also referred to
as Wear the Lilac Day, is an annual celebration observed by fans of
Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. Lately it has also become an
impromptu Alzheimer's disease awareness day... The Glorious Twenty-Fifth
of May is a remembrance day in the fictional Discworld that commemorates
the People's Revolution, which put an end to Lord Winter's[sic] reign.
On May 25, the survivors wear a spring of lilac and gather at the
cemetery to honor those who fell during the Revolution. The Revolution
is described in the novel Night Watch. The fictional celebration was
adopted by fans of Terry Pratchett's works, who began to wear
springs[sic] of lilac on May 25 to commemorate his writing. In 2007,
Pratchett announced that he had Alzheimer's disease. His fans began the
campaign Match It For Pratchett to raise awareness of Alzheimer's. Fans
are encouraged to wear lilac in support of Pratchett and make donations
to Alzheimer's research funds."

https://anydayguide.com/calendar/2026

And here we have the L-space wikipage about the Wearing of the Lilac:

"Each year, on the 25th of May, a group of survivors of the uprising
gathers at Small Gods' Cemetery to honor the casualties with lilacs and,
affectionately, one hard-boiled egg (from Madam Roberta Meserole). The
seven killed were mostly Watchmen from Treacle Mine Road : John Keel,
Cecil Clapman, Horace Nancyball, Billy Wiglet, Dai Dickins, Ned Coates,
and, temporarily, Reg Shoe – he will lie in his grave for a time during
that day, and then leave. The 25th of May is also memorialized, among
those who survive, by the wearing of lilac on that date. Persons known
to wear it include Sam Vimes, Fred Colon, Nobby Nobbs, Cut-Me-Own-Throat
Dibbler, and, improbably, Havelock Vetinari (he, at the time a young
assassin, has kept his and his aristocratic aunt Lady Roberta
Meserole's, not-insignificant involvement in the affair entirely
secret). The date is not publicly known as it was one of those
revolutions where everybody likes to pretend in the aftermath that it
never happened, with many new Watchmen uncertain of its relevance to the
point that one new recruit tried wearing lilac only to be sharply
criticised by Fred Colon. Vetinari once speculated about erecting a
statue in memory of the soldiers, but Vimes rejected the idea, stating
that the dead men would not want to be immortalised and inspire others
to be heroes after they were betrayed for going beyond the call of duty,
requesting that the men be simply left in peace... May 25th is also
national Geek Pride Day and Towel Day, a day in honour of Douglas Adams.
This has led to some fans having to choose between the two, until
someone came up with the lilac towel."

https://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/Glorious_Revolution

Wossname would like to extend its congratulations to Marc Burrows, whose
biography The Magic of Terry Pratchett has made the list of Locus Award
finalists in the nonfiction category. [Readers may recall we reviewed it
a while back! – Ed.]

Congratulations are also due to bookbinder Thomas Hosking, who has won a
prestigious medal for his work on a very special edition of Mort:

"Run by Designer Bookbinders and sponsored by The Folio Society, [the
Bookbinder Mansfield Medal] comes at a time when the craft of
bookbindery in the UK is facing a challenging future. There are no
full-time bookbinding programs currently on offer, while several of the
processes involved in bookbinding, such as edge gilding, gold tooling,
fore-edge painting, and vellum making, are due to appear on the Heritage
Crafts Association list of endangered crafts. 'We want to spread the
word that excellent contemporary bookbinding does exist, that it’s not
just something in Victorian gentlemen’s libraries,' said bookbinder Kate
Holland, co-organizer with fellow binder Sue Doggett of the biennial
competition. 'We’re really keen to encourage new people and the younger
generation into the profession so it’s exciting that there are lots of
new names in this year’s entries and awards.' The two major awards were
won by Thomas Hosking for his goatskin binding of Mort by Terry
Pratchett featuring a scythe-shaped void, and Miranda Kemp whose bradel
structure binding of the set text Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck with
unsupported link stitch included imagery of the baking California sun on
ranch buildings with prairies in the distance..."

https://bit.ly/34alz8K

And now, on with the show...

– Annie Mac, Editor

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

03) ODDS AND SODS

3.1 AMAZING MAURICE NEWS

The Amazing Maurice is on its way to becoming a real film! Some of the
biggest names in screen entertainment have now been confirmed as voice
cast members – including our favourite demon. The original Narrativia
announcement:

"Sky today announced a new co-production with Ulysses Filmproduktion and
Cantilever Media, The Amazing Maurice, a Sky original. This animated
family film is based on one of Sir Terry Pratchett’s wildly popular
Discworld novels and will star Hugh Laurie (Avenue 5) as Maurice, Emilia
Clarke (Game of Thrones) as Malicia, David Thewlis (Wonder Woman) as
Boss Man, Himesh Patel (Yesterday) as Keith, Gemma Arterton (The King’s
Man) as Peaches and Hugh Bonneville (Downton Abbey) as The Mayor...
Coming to Sky Cinema in 2022, The Amazing Maurice, a Sky original,
follows Maurice, a streetwise ginger cat who has the perfect
money-making scam. He finds a kid who plays a pipe, and he also
befriends his very own horde of strangely educated, talking rats – so
Maurice can no longer think of them as ‘lunch’. When Maurice and the
rodents reach the stricken town of Bad Blintz, they meet a bookworm,
Malicia. Their little con soon goes down the drain as something very bad
is waiting for them in the cellars... Rob Wilkins, Producer and Managing
Director of Narrativia, said: 'Bringing Maurice’s story to life was such
a joy for Terry and I’m delighted that the teams at Sky, Ulysses
Filmproduktion and Cantilever Media are honouring his vision with such
reverence and respect.'.

"The Amazing Maurice, a Sky original is co-produced by Sky, Ulysses
Filmproduktion and Cantilever Media, with animation studios Studio
Rakete (Hamburg) and Red Star Animation (Sheffield). The film has the
full support of the Terry Pratchett estate and is produced in
association with Narrativia. Producers are Julia Stuart (Sky), Emely
Christians (Ulysses), Andrew Baker and Robert Chandler (Cantilever
Media) and Rob Wilkins (Narrativia). The Film is directed by Toby
Genkel, co-director is Florian Westermann..."

To read the full announcement, go to https://narrativia.com/maurice.html

And here be some updates...

 From Cinema Express:

"Broadchurch-fame David Tennant is the newest addition to the voice cast
of The Amazing Maurice. The animated feature is the silver screen
adaptation of Terry Pratchett's The Amazing Maurice and His Educated
Rodents. The film marks Tennant's second project which is based on
Pratchett's novel. Previously he had starred in the Amazon Prime Video
series The Good Omens. The 50-year-old Scottish star joins Hugh Laurie,
Emilia Clarke, David Thewlis, Himesh Patel, Gemma Arterton and Hugh
Bonneville in the cast. Actors Rob Brydon, Ariyon Bakare, Julie
Atherton, and YouTuber Joe Sugg are also part of the film..."

https://bit.ly/3bQaspt

 From Gizmodo:

"The animated adaptation of Terry Pratchett’s Carnegie Medal-winning
2001 children’s book The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents has
already commandeered a huge celebrity voice cast, but apparently there’s
always room for more. Now Doctor Who’s David Tennant has joined the
ranks, alongside Game of Thrones’ Emilia Clarke and House’s Hugh Laurie,
among many others... Besides starring in Amazon’s adaptation of
Pratchett and Neil Gaiman’s novel Good Omens, Tennant actually voiced
the rat Dangerous Beans in a 2003 radio adaptation of The Amazing
Maurice, so it’s pretty reasonable to suspect he’ll be reprising the
role..."

https://bit.ly/3fFAZHk

3.2 ABOMINABLE SNOWBABY NEWS

More animation goodies on their way soon! This one is an adaptation on
UK Channel 4 of one of the lovely stories in the "Father Christmas’ Fake
Beard" collection, expected this very Hogswatch. From the Narrativia
announcement:

"The magic of Terry Pratchett, the legendary national treasure and
maverick British author who sold over 100 million books worldwide, comes
to life in this half-hour programme. The Abominable Snow Baby tells the
story of a quintessentially English town which is thrown into disarray
by a huge snowfall and the dramatic appearance of a 14-foot tall
Abominable Snow Baby. Shunned and feared by the local townsfolk, Snow
Baby is rescued by the indomitable Granny who along with grandson
Albert, welcomes him into her home, showering her new pet with love and
affection, changing the town’s perception and helping the community
overcome their initial prejudices... Channel 4 Head of Drama, Caroline
Hollick said: 'Terry Pratchett’s The Abominable Snow Baby is a
magnificent, heart-warming, riotously funny story about love, courage
and compassion. Witty, entertaining and deeply moving in equal measure,
it captures the spirit of Christmas with Sir Terry’s unique charm'...
Rob Wilkins, Managing Director of Narrativia and Manager of Sir Terry
Pratchett’s Estate said: 'In his lifetime, Terry wrote over seventy
books, which have been translated into 41 languages. He started his
career as a writer of short stories for young people, who remained his
favourite audience. The Abominable Snow Baby showcases Terry’s firmly
held belief in not judging people on appearances, his reverence for the
elderly, and his very genuine love of Christmas. Narrativia is delighted
to see Terry’s work brought to life by the talented team at Eagle Eye
Drama, in the fiftieth year of Terry Pratchett being a published
author.'..."

To read the full announcement, go to https://narrativia.com/snowbaby.html

3.3 REVIEW: TERRY PRATCHETT HISWORLD EXHIBIT COMPANION

The Magic and the Memories: a review of the Terry Pratchett HisWorld
Official Exhibition Companion

By Annie Mac

A few years ago, a friend of mine brought me back a present from one of
her rare trips to London: Masterpieces of the British Museum, a
handsome, glossy 300-page catalogue of some of the Museum's most notable
exhibits, full of images and brief descriptions of each item and its
provenance. It's a pretty thing, and I enjoy riffling through it now and
again, but it's little more than a pleasant coffee table entertainment
and is typical of the genre. So when my copy of the Terry Pratchett
HisWorld Official Exhibition Companion landed on my doorstep, I was
expecting a Pratchett-based sample of the same kind of thing.

It's not.

The Terry Pratchett HisWorld Official Exhibition Companion (henceforth
referred to as the HisWorld Companion in this review, to save wordcount)
is a thing of beauty, yes, but it is also far more than that. Have you
ever been lifted to an exalted state or reduced to tears from reading a
museum catalogue? I never had been, but I was more than a few times when
reading the HisWorld Companion – and I think many appreciators of the
world and works of Sir Terry Pratchett will be too. Everything about
this book, from the stunning images to the little-known fascinating
facts to the way the entire book has been constructed and presented,
is... well... there is a Danish word, "hygge", that refers to a place,
thing, or experience that surrounds you with feelings of warmth and
cosiness and pulls you into a happy state – and in my opinion, the
HisWorld Companion is filled with hygge.

But enough justified gushing for the moment; let's get to a description
of the contents. The HisWorld Companion opens with a six-page timeline
of Sir Terry Pratchett's lifetime and works, followed by a foreword by
exhibit curator Richard Henry and eleven chapters covering periods of
the author's life, histories of some of his most famous books, and of
course the backstories behind the exhibits themselves, described by
those who worked for and with him and the ones who knew him best: Colin
Smythe, Rob Wilkins, and daughter Rhianna, plus assorted friends and
co-creators.

The first chapter (How It All Began) offers a short tour of Sir Terry's
origins as a writer, in his own words. Next comes Literary Beginnings, a
chapter about his early works by Colin Smythe, the man who brought the
author to the world, first as his publisher and then as his agent. This
chapter includes some amazing images of early Pratchett illustrations
for The Carpet People and The Dark Side of the Sun, and some lovely
surprises (did you know that young Terry,during his days as a
journalist, also drew a comic strip called Warlock Hall? I didn't!) and
some amazing art pieces that represent his long interest in bees.

The third chapter is dedicated to Josh Kirby, the first official
Discworld illustrator. Included here are his story, and some of his
works rarely seen – stunning portraits of Sir Terry that, while they
include Kirby's renderings of Discworld characters, don't have the
familiar deliberately grotesque look of his covers for the novels (and I
have to say, his Tsortean Horse as rendered for Eric is very
impressive). Next up is The Cunning Artificer, featuring the amazing
artworks and amusing anecdotes of Bernard Pearson. There is a selection
of absolutely gorgeous stuff in this chapter.

Chapter five (Sockets and Wires), is Rob Wilkins' section, in which he
tells the story of two friends' shared passion for tinkering with
technological devices. One can see the original of HEX in Sir Terry's
early computer gear. Chapter six (Crooked Wanderings on the Chalk) is by
Nick Cowen, who could be described as a benign Eric Wheelbrace
(twenty-eight years behind the compass, officially looking after public
rights of way in South Wiltshire). In this chapter we are introduced to
the descriptions and ecology of the *real* Chalk and Mr Cowen's own
interactions with Sir Pterry as they wandered around it (not to mention
iconographs of The Author's shepherding hut!). In the seventh chapter
(Swords and Awards), master swordsmith Jake Keen shares the tale of That
Sword and how he and the newly knighted author made it; also featured in
this chapter are iconographs of Sir Terry's various awards, including
the one he said meant the most to him (hint: it wasn't his knighthood,
nor even the Carnegie medal), plus a two-page timeline of the awarding
of them all.

Now we come to the chapters that cover bringing the Discworld into
visibility. The eighth chapter, Designing Discworld, tells the story of
how author and artist worked together to create two (and sometimes
three) dimensional realisations of the beloved characters of Discworld
and the other novels. This one is the Paul Kidby's showcase, and
appropriately it's a long one, lavishly  with reproduced illustrations
including a centrefold pullout of the Discworld Massif. Mapping Terry's
Worlds, the ninth chapter, offers the turn of Stephen Briggs, first and
still foremost Discworld mapper and primary Pratchett stage adaptation
playwright; this chapter features his own work and some pieces by Paul
Kidby.

So where, are you wondering, do the tears come in? Well, the final two
chapters are called The Embuggerance and Legacy. Need I say more?
Chapter ten, headed by Professor Roy Jones of the RICE Institute, takes
us through the heartbreak of the PCA years and their inevitable end and
I'll stop right there because my tears are welling again. But the final
chapter, written by Rhianna Pratchett, brought tears of both nostalgia
and hope to this reader, as they cover, among other things, past,
present and possible future adaptations, and the chapter is replete with
yet more beautiful artwork. Weirdly, for those of us who did our best to
suffer through that Discworld-adjacent television series called The
Watch, the final extended word goes to the Dark Lord, I mean showrunner,
Simon Allen, who, had he managed to apply even a minuscule amount of the
grace and humour he shows in his short essay here, might have given the
world a true glimpse of Discworld rather than a virtually unrecognisable
travesty... but that's a war to be fought on another day.

At last we come to the credits, index, and more beautiful artworks and
photographs. And then you might well want to read it through again. I
did. All in all, the HisWorld Companion gave this reader an experience
that felt closer and more personal even than attending the exhibition
itself. I cannot recommend it too highly.

The Terry Pratchett HisWorld Official Exhibition Companion. Truly worth
owning and cherishing and re-reading over and over. To paraphrase the
quote on the back cover, it's still magic, even if it's pressed between
the endpages of a book.

p.s. Have a box of tissues at the ready.

Published by Dunmanifestin Ltd
ISBN 978 1 9998081 5 0

3.4 MORE PRATCHETT PROJECT TALKS!

Allusions and Cultural References in Terry Pratchett’s Jingo:
Translation and Understanding, by Damon Tringham:

https://youtu.be/NdbKghKxmnc

Humour, parody and satire in Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels by Kamil
Karas:

https://youtu.be/btRiFbH48dI

More to come...

https://twitter.com/PratchettProj

3.5 ROLLING ON ZERO... THE GOOD OMENS FILM THAT NEVER WAS

Here be the story of Terry Gilliam's unsuccessful attempt to bring Good
Omens to the Clicks, by Joe Gillis on ScreenRant:

"Upon completing Good Omens, Gaiman and Pratchett sent Gilliam a copy –
noting that the novels’ comedic sensibilities owed a debt to Monty
Python – and a meeting was arranged at London’s famous Groucho Club to
discuss the prospect of a film adaptation... by the late '90s, Gilliam
was said to be co-writing the film with his Fear and Loathing in Las
Vegas collaborator Tony Grisoni. According to Neil Gaiman, Robin
Williams and Johnny Depp (who had previously worked with Gilliam on The
Fisher King and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, respectively) were
considered to play Aziraphale and Crowley – a match made in cinematic
heaven, if ever there was one. Sadly, development hell would ultimately
claim the project, as Gaiman explained to TW: “He (Gilliam) had almost
all the money he needed. Unfortunately, this was like three months after
9/11 and nobody was in the mood to hear about a really funny
end-of-the-world comedy”. This, paired with Gilliam’s comments to Reel
in 2001, wherein he described Good Omens as “the most expensive thing”
he had ever done, gives a pretty good idea of why the project was
relegated to the scrap pile... While there were talks of reviving
Gilliam’s Good Omens throughout the 2000s, none of them resulted in a
finished film. In 2011, Gilliam’s fellow Python Terry Jones was attached
to adapt the novel as a television miniseries [via Neil Gaiman’s
Journal], before that project, too, went the way of the dinosaurs..."

https://bit.ly/2Rys2aV

3.6 THE MERCH CORNER

* The Terry Pratchett HisWorld Official Exhibition Companion!

"In 2017 the Estate of Sir Terry Pratchett, the Salisbury Museum and
illustrator Paul Kidby joined forces to present the award winning Terry
Pratchett: HisWorld exhibition – taking visitors to the heart of the
world of the Discworld creator. This comprehensive and fully illustrated
guide is the official companion to that unique collection. With
additional images and extra content including essays by Rhianna
Pratchett, Rob Wilkins, Paul Kidby, Colin Smythe, Bernard Pearson,
Stephen Briggs, Amy Anderson for The Josh Kirby Estate, Professor Roy
Jones, Jake Keen & Nick Cowen. The exhibition won Best Temporary or
Touring Exhibition in the prestigious Museum & Heritage Awards. The
judges described it as “an exhibition which demonstrated great emotional
connection which resulted in a marked change in visitor demographics”.
This book is a perfect memento for those who made the journey to view
the resoundingly popular exhibition and the perfect consolation for
those who were unable to visit in person."

This beautiful book, all 224 pages of it, is now priced at £15, half of
its previous price. For more information and to order, go to:

https://bit.ly/3fHXgnM

(Also see item 3.3 for a review! – Ed.)

* Mrs Bradshaw's Handbook!

"Authorised by Mr Lipwig of the Ankh-Morpork and Sto Plains Hygienic
Railway himself, Mrs Georgina Bradshaw’s invaluable guide to the
destinations and diversions of the railway deserves a place in the
luggage of any traveller, or indeed armchair traveller, upon the Disc.