Wossname – December 2021 – Main issue

News and reviews about the works of Sir Terry Pratchett wossname at pearwood.info
Wed Dec 22 06:18:45 AEDT 2021

Wossname
December 2021 (Volume 24, Issue 12, Post 1)

WOSSNAME is a free publication offering news, reviews, and all the other
stuff-that-fits pertaining to the works of Sir Terry Pratchett.
Originally founded by the late, great Joe Schaumburger for members of
the worldwide Klatchian Foreign Legion and its affiliates, including the
North American Discworld Society and other continental groups, Wossname
is now for Discworld and Pratchett fans everywhere in Roundworld.

Editor in Chief: Annie Mac
News Editor: Vera P
Newshounds: Mogg, Sir J of Croydon Below, the Shadow, Mss C, Alison not
Aliss
Staff Writers: Pitt the Elder, Evil Steven Dread, Mrs Wynn-Jones
Staff Technomancer: Jason Parlevliet
Book Reviews: Annie Mac, Drusilla D'Afanguin, Your Name Here
Emergency Staff: Steven D'Aprano, Jason Parlevliet
World Membership Director: Steven D'Aprano (in his copious spare time)

01) QUOTES OF THE MONTH
02) EDITOR'S LETTER
03) ODDS AND SODS
04) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS
05) DISCWORLD MEETING GROUPS NEWS
06) ROUNDWORLD TALES: KEN THE CLEVER LIBRARIAN
07) IMAGES OF THE MONTH
08) CLOSE

01) QUOTES OF THE MONTH

"It's a delight for me to bring back characters we loved (or hated) and
bring in new characters, from the shiniest top floors of Heaven to the
dankest basements of Hell, to love (or to hate, or to love to hate or
hate to love). All of them are part of the strange and unusually beloved
family of Good Omens."
– Neil Gaiman, on casting Good Omens 2

"We have already welcomed to the Good Omens 2 family familiar faces in
familiar roles, familiar faces in unfamiliar roles, and unfamiliar faces
in unfamiliar roles. We also have an unfamiliar face in a familiar role."
– Douglas Mackinnon, on once again directing it

"I’m honoured to voice the footnotes and bring to life one of the
funniest, quirkiest and best-loved aspects of Terry Pratchett’s world.
He added footnotes to the pages of all of his Discworld novels. They are
his personal commentary on the action, little snippets of information or
funny asides. They feel very much like the voice of the great man
himself commenting on the action. I’ve enjoyed it enormously."
– Bill Nighy, on taking the part of all the footnotes in the new
versions of the Discworld audiobooks

"Coming back to Terry Pratchett’s world after many years has been a
pleasure. I loved his subversive, absurdist humour when I was a teenager
and reading the part of Death, who appears in nearly all the Discworld
books, has given me a renewed appreciation of his comic genius. What a
very clever writer he was!"
– Peter Serafinowicz, soon to be Death (read that carefully!)

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

02) LETTER FROM YOUR EDITOR

Well now, here we are at the end of a very long and unsettled year and
about to start another one – which in Discworld terminology will be the
Year of the Lachrymating Leveret!

Have you seen the trailer for The Abominable Snow Baby yet? It's
delightful! And in a few days, on Christmas Day, the film will get its
first airing (see item 3.0). We can expect that The Abominable Snow Baby
will become a yearly tradition for holiday viewing.

While I quite like Jon Hamm and am pleased to see him returning as
Gabriel to the continuation of Good Omens, I'm far more excited to note
that Michael McKean and Miranda Richardson will also be in the new
series (though not necessarily as Shadwell and Madame Tracy... stay
tuned... and meanwhile, read item 3.1).

Here be a long Twitter thread by Pratchett biographer Marc Burrows on
the evolution of The Carpet People. Start here : https://bit.ly/3JjWNq2

And now, on with the show...

– Annie Mac, Editor

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

03) ODDS AND SODS

3.0 ABOMINABLE SNOW BABY NEWS

The trailer! And rather wonderful it is too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YPc8YSzKds

 From the Radio Times:

"Channel 4 has unveiled its schedule for the festive season and
Christmas Day, which includes Terry Pratchett’s The Abominable Snow Baby
and special Christmas editions of First Dates, Gogglebox, Come Dine with
Me and The Great British Bake Off. Based on Terry Pratchett’s 2014 story
about a 14-foot-tall Abominable Snow Baby that arrives in a small
English town, the animated Christmas special stars Julie Walters, Hugh
Dancy and David Harewood, and will air on Channel 4 on Christmas Day at
7:30pm. Channel 4’s Head of Drama, Caroline Hollick, said in a
statement: “Channel 4’s original Christmas animation has become a real
highlight over the years and this year will be no exception. I’m
delighted Julie Walters, Hugh Dancy and David Harewood will be bringing
to life this wonderful, funny and moving yuletide tale."

https://bit.ly/3q90B4A

...and Channel Ten  in Fourecks

"If you’re looking for a fun and adventurous story, then this delightful
adaptation is for you! Discover Terry Pratchett’s fantastical world of
Blackbury with a huge snowfall, and the appearance of an adorable
Abominable Snow Baby. This is sure to be your new Christmas classic!"

https://bit.ly/3phVHmB

Julie Walters talks about voicing the character of "Granny" in The
Abominable Snow Baby:

"[Channel 4] has drafted in some big names to lend their voices to the
programme. One of those stars is Julie Walters, who takes on the role of
98-year-old Granny – and in this week’s episode of the Radio Times
podcast, she told Jane Garvey how she went about voicing such an elderly
character. 'Well, I’ve played ancient people since I was in my
twenties,' she said. 'I don’t know why, I just feel attracted to them. I
always think it’s because I was brought up with my grandmother who was a
bit doolally tap, and so had a massive influence on us as children. And
so I think some of it is trying to solve the conundrum of my grandmother
when I was a child. So I’m fascinated by old people,' she added. 'Of
course, I am one now, so it’s different… but it isn’t that different. I
love the way that people… their shape changes, and of course their voice
and everything about them changes. In terms of voice, I’m a bit of an
impersonator, and I notice how, you know, old people’s voices… their
vocal cords become thin and they age just like everything else. But what
was lovely about Granny is that, yes, she was 98, but she’s absolutely
full of energy and goodness and love. She’s just fantastic – I hope I’m
like that at 98, if I ever get there!'..."

https://bit.ly/3qiX0Rl

3.1 GOOD OMENS 2 NEWS

Jon Hamm is confirmed to return as the Archangel Gabriel in Good Omens
2, along with co-angels Doon Mackichan (Michael), Gloria Obianyo
(Uriel), Liz Carr (Saraqael), and Quelin Sepulveda (Muriel). Other
returning cast members – not necessarily in the same roles, though! –
include Michael McKean, Miranda Richardson, Reece Shearsmith, Nina
Sosanya, Maggie Service, and Paul Adeyefa.

There's a Narrativia announcement covering this. Go to
https://narrativia.com/go2.html to read it in its entirety.

3.2 AUDIOBOOKS DO-OVER

Penguin Random House are going to re-record all 40 of their Discworld
audiobooks, "featuring a cast of leading names from British stage and
screen" that includes Bill Nighy as the footnotes, Peter Serafinowicz as
Death, and "one main narrator set to voice each subseries" – Indira
Varma for the Witches books, Sian Clifford for the Death books, Colin
Morgan for the Wizards books, and best of all, Andy Serkis for Small Gods!

"BAFTA award-winning composer James Hannigan, whose many credits include
music for the Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince and the Lord of the
Rings video games, and the audio production of The Sandman, has been
commissioned to compose theme tunes for the Discworld series. For this
ambitious project narrators will read nearly four million words, with
nearly 150 days in the studio and resulting in over 400 hours of
finished audio. The audiobooks are being produced and directed by Neil
Gardner of Ladbroke Audio, the multiple award-winning radio writer &
director, who shares a love of sci-fi and comedy, and is a life-long
Terry Pratchett superfan..."

The new recordings will be published over the course of the next two
years: Witches (April 2022), Wizards (July 2022), Death (October 2022),
Moist von Lipwig (February 2023) and City Watch and Tiffany Aching
(April 2023). "The standalone titles – Pyramids, Small Gods, The
Truth,Moving Pictures, The Amazing Maurice and Monstrous Regiment – will
also be published..."

https://narrativia.com/audio.html

3.3 SIR PTERRY'S FAVOURITE VIDEO GAME

An in-depth portrait of The Author as a young... thief? By Rick Lane for
the Guardian:

"Pratchett’s relationship with video games is well documented. Always
technologically savvy, he was an early adopter of PC gaming, and enjoyed
everything from Doom to Deus Ex and Call of Duty. He even helped to
create a mod (an unofficial add-on) for The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion,
writing lines of dialogue for a character. But Pratchett held a
particular affection for Thief. He played all three games in the series,
and often contributed to a Usenet newsgroup named
alt.games.thief-dark-project. That newsgroup, analogous to a modern
forum, has long since been deactivated, but its posts survive in a
Google groups archive. Combined, they provide a fascinating record of
Pratchett’s evolving relationship with both the Thief series and video
games in general... Pratchett liked that Thief II was a game that you
could finish without killing anyone, which appealed to his personal
morals. 'I get edgy in games that require killing as an objective,' he
wrote in July 2002. 'But being able to hide from guards who appear to
have amazing acuity sometimes is a talent in itself.' He also liked that
Thief II let you solve its problems at your own pace, and in your own
way. 'I think a game goes wrong when you start to fight the programmer
rather than the game...'

"There was shared lineage between Thief’s nameless city and Pratchett’s
own work in the Discworld novels. Both take popular fantasy tropes and
recontextualise them into a more human world, unafraid to explore the
weirder edges of fantasy. Thief’s bumbling, grumbling guards share
certain traits with Pratchett’s own motley crew of city watchmen...
Pratchett’s presence on the forums did not go unnoticed by the wider
community. 'Having Terry involved was a very cool experience,' says
David Geelan, an associate professor at Australia’s Griffith University,
and a contributor to the alt.games Thief forum during the same period as
Pratchett. 'This was an early example of an author I was a big fan of
engaging with something else I loved.” This sentiment is shared by
another user, Mika Latokartano. “Being a big fan of Discworld novels, it
was naturally great to see him on the forums and to be able to exchange
a few words with a world-famous author...' Pratchett’s posts on the
alt.games Thief forum are a unique record. Not only do they evidence in
detail an artist’s heartfelt affection for another type of art, they
also represent a mode of interaction between a creator and fans that is
far less viable in the age of mass social media. Geelan, who around this
time also frequented a cyberpunk forum visited by William Gibson, notes
that 'authors could react more directly with the few hundred or couple
of thousand people who might have been on a web forum or usenet group in
the mid 90s, than with the millions or tens of millions who would want
that contact now...'..."

https://bit.ly/3mpjAqy

3.4 JOHNNY MAXWELL REVISITED

It's good to see the Johnny Maxwell series (Only You Can Save Mankind,
Johnny And The Dead, Johnny And The Bomb) getting a 21st century
shout-out! This little gem was originally posted in 2015, but always
worth an action replay.

By Andrew Blair on Den of Geek:

"In the lower reaches of the Goodreads list of Pratchett books, besides
the short stories and essays in anthologies, the first novel to stand
out is Only You Can Save Mankind, the first of Pratchett’s Johnny
Maxwell series. It was published in 1992. It is a very 1992 book (One of
the characters asks 'Is it rad to say cool?'), and realistic swearing is
not a feature. Compared with later books featuring Johnny Maxwell it’s a
bit on the nose in its depiction of children, but the intention – to
depict a variety of backgrounds and relatable struggles – lays the
foundations for the subtler sequels... The most interesting thing about
Only You Can Save Mankind were its observations on empathy and
detachment with regards moving images, but its ending counteracts the
popular aphorism by stating that violence does solve some things. It
might seem surprising in the context of the book, but then Pratchett has
disposed of monsters with poetic abandon since... Johnny And The Dead
followed in 1993. Again mixing lofty themes and fantasy with the
mundane, the main characters feel a bit more realistic here. Here the
’90s feeling is different: it’s a book clearly set in and evocative of
that time period, rather than a book that is evocative of how adults
wrote children in that time period... Johnny and the Dead asks the
reader to consider something they might see in their everyday life, to
look beyond the surface of it and ask questions. It goes one step
further, again, with its ending, where the dead stop waiting around for
the next stage of their afterlives to happen... All of Johnny’s friends
get satisfying character development in the third and final book in the
series, Johnny And The Bomb. This book, especially, with its mentions of
the Trousers of Time and “Millennium hand and shrimp,” complements ideas
in the Discworld universe, almost like a primer. That these come from a
character called Mrs Tachyon may be entirely deliberate, as a
theoretical time-travelling particle has echoes of both this book and
the existence of something like the Discworld. While the ending might be
the most straightforwardly heroic of the three books, Johnny’s friends
are put into the midst of the fantastic more than in any other story..."

https://bit.ly/3H11lPT

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

04) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS

Some reviews of Discworld plays to finish the year! The Roundworld debut
of Murder in Ankh-Morpork; Wyrd Sisters and Hogfather in
EcksEcksEcksEcks; and Going Postal in Sussex (which only has one ecks).

* MURDER IN ANKH-MORPORK IN ABINGDON

By Alice Nuttall for the Daily Info:

"The play had a strong opener, with one of Pratchett’s best-known
exchanges brought alive on the stage (two members of a secret society
exchanging code phrases, before realising that one of them meant to
attend another clandestine meeting a few doors down). The cast matched
the story’s fast pace with energy and enthusiasm, each member fully
inhabiting their roles. Anna Wilson stood out as Angua, a werewolf
police officer trying not to scare off a new friend with the revelation
of her wild side; Nigel Tait made a hilarious Nobby Nobbs, a character
that can be hard to do justice to, thanks to his often grotesque
depiction in the books; and Briggs was amusingly chilling as Lord
Vetinari (whose entries on stage, accompanied by the Imperial March from
Star Wars, always got a laugh from the audience). Adapting Men At Arms
for a small stage would have been a challenge – the story takes place
over several locations in a large city, and follows a complex police
procedural plot with Christie-esque twists and turns – but the ensemble
managed it expertly, creating a show that was full of in-jokes and nods
for fans while still being exciting and engaging for newbies..."

...and on the same site by Naomi Anna Lillian Webb

"Outside the spoken dialogue, sound and music are cleverly interspersed
throughout the action in a manner absolutely in keeping with the spirit
of the novels, to the great amusement of the audience. I suspect some
ingenious sound recording techniques came into play, putting me in mind
of the beloved BBC Radiophonic Workshop (of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to
the Galaxy fame). In an inspired move we are even treated to a rousing
rendition of the Ankh-Morpork National Anthem during one of the early
scenes, beautifully performed by Lindsay Rolland and written by Carl
Davis, CBE. Lindsay also plays Boffo the clown, just one example of the
abundant versatility and talent on offer in the STC... The choice to
combine the plot with characters from novels other than Men at Arms
gives rise to an admirably diverse cast, a dream for any theatre troupe.
Sam Vimes (Jamie Mortimer) visibly grows into his role of hardened
Captain of the City Watch throughout the course of the play, his arc is
impressively presented given the confines evident when converting a
novel to much shorter media. Patrician, Lord Vetinari (Stephen Briggs),
eyebrows a-wiggling, tasks the captain with uncovering the truth behind
a vicious multiple murder featuring clowns, assassins, and a mysterious
unknown weapon. Vimes is assisted at every turn by his devoted fiancé,
the formidable Lady Sybil Ramkin: Elena Mortimer assertively commands
the scene whenever she is present. The Captain is also supported by his
loyal band of Night Watchmen-women-and-others. Anna Wilson as werewolf
Lance Constable Angua von Uberwald is especially strong, effortlessly
conveying complex nuances of character. She parries with the charming
honesty of Corporal Carrot Ironfoundersson (Peter Hubbard) while they
explore their roles, both in the Watch and in love. Comic timing abounds
with the pairing of Mike MacDonald as Sergeant Fred Colon and Nigel Tait
as Corporal Nobby Nobbs. Their double act is worthy of Shakespeare, and
often far more amusingly expounded to the modern audience..."

https://bit.ly/3mp1vZv

* WYRD SISTERS IN ADELAIDE

By Christine Pyman for Broadway World:

"Unseen Theatre Company is celebrating its 21st birthday this year, and
it's been interesting to watch its development and maturation... The
company showed sophisticated stagecraft which shone against the
minimalist sets and lighting, focusing attention on the acting, and
there was some terrific acting. Stand out stars were Aimee Ford as the
selfish, bullying, inherently evil, and frighteningly believable
Duchess, Danny Sag, as the Fool, almost stealing the stage whenever he
was on, and not because of the brightness of his wonderful costume,
Philip Lineton, with passion and fire as the Chamberlain, and Pamela
Munt, who simply is Granny Weatherwax. Alycia Rabig was suitably
'wet-hen-ish', with a surprising core of iron (possibly from a frying
pan), as Magrat Garlick, the youngest witch, and Natalie Haigh provided
a comforting, but naughty Nanny Ogg. Paul Messenger has presence, even
when playing a presence, and managed to be a convincingly dead King
Verence, cleverly being apparently an apparition, present only to the
audience, and witches (and cats of course)..."

https://bit.ly/3296tD7

...and by Matthew Hocter for Theatre Travels:

"Minimalism doesn’t always work in theatre, especially when the theme
has a heavy focus on elements like magic and fantasy, but much credit to
the creators of this play, everything seemed to flow just right... Like
any Shakespearean play, twists and turns are in abundance and with
Pratchett’s incredible eye, The Wyrd Sisters is a foray into everything
from propaganda, relationships and time itself. With standout
performances from Philip Lineton as Chamberlain, Danny Sag as The Fool
and the hilarious aforementioned Natalie Haigh as Nanny Ogg, this
production was anything but amateur. Timing and a strong comedic element
all aided in creating something truly magical and at its core, showing
that things are not always as they seem, never more evident than in the
words 'History is what people are told.' Unseen Theatre Company is
celebrating its 21st anniversary this year and if this production is
anything to go by, the next 21 years look brilliant..."

https://bit.ly/3EjwLiW

* GOING POSTAL IN SUSSEX

By Cat Quigley for the Bishop's Stortford Independent:

"Director Becky Deal is to be commended for daring to venture into this
steampunk fantasy comedy and introducing people to this great story. The
term ‘going postal’ – meaning to become extremely and uncontrollably
angry, usually in the workplace – is a great metaphor for the storyline.
Deal had a strong cast that did a fantastic job delivering humour, drama
and fast-flowing character work which kept moving until the end. Jack
Stevens brought Moist Von Lipwig to life as an endearing yet cunning
conman. He was perfect in this role, word perfect with spot-on comedic
timing and physical gestures, and he brought a great, mischievous
likeability to the role... Sophie O'Flaherty shone as Drumknott. She was
a stand-out performer, with a well-executed stage voice and chemistry
with her fellow cast members... Parole officer Mr Pump (Doug Sheppard)
was a convincing golem made of clay, who, like any government official,
was tireless in his sense of duty. Mr Pump had a lot of emotional
moments and Sheppard was able to act out a real blend of naivete, fierce
loyalty and deep wisdom, particularly in the poignant moments where he
protected Moist Von Lipwig... A lot of the play was interjected with
energy from some of the smaller roles, which were just as important as
the main parts as they kept the pace moving... A big highlight for me
was a TV that came to life showing a character Collabone played by
Matthew Barnes... The production was largely helped by the fantastic
tech from production manager Will Jamieson and sound and lighting by
Steve Cherry, who managed to create the dark moods of the play... The
audience really enjoyed the show, and Pratchett fans responded to the
deeper meanings of the book while those who didn’t know the book well
were still amused and entertained..."

https://bit.ly/3yNGTz7

* HOGFATHER IN PERTH, FOURECKS

By Kimberley Shaw for Stage Whispers:

"One of the biggest difficulties of the Discworld plays is that they are
highly episodic. This production works well to overcome this issue,
using an extended stage and putting some scenes around the auditorium,
allowing transitions to be swift and effective. Young actors Callan
Emmerson and Ellie Jones, who also nicely play children Gawain and Twyla
Gaiter, also "sign-post” many scenes, so that we know where we are in
the Discworld. Epic character Death is played with great gravitas and
wry humour by a wonderfully costumed Sam Barnett. He is well assisted by
Ian Banks as butler Albert, in a picture-perfect portrayal. The real
heroine of this story, though, is Susan Story Hellit[sic] – very nicely
played, with lovely nuance, by Pratchett veteran Michelle Ezzy. Another
Pratchett ‘expert’ is Peter ‘Pear’ Carr, reprising his role as the
delightfully dim Banjo, one of the thugs employed by assassin Teatime to
help kill the Hogfather, a role that Pear played in the WA premiere of
Hogfather eighteen years ago–and a role he plays to perfection. He is
ably supported by Curig Jenkins as Medium Dave and Candice Preston as
Chickenwire. Villain of the piece, Mr Teatime, is given lovely menace by
Aaron O’Neill... Lots of delightful characters in this, with many
performers playing multiple roles and distinguishing them well..."

https://www.stagewhispers.com.au/reviews/hogfather

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

05) DISCWORLD MEETING GROUPS NEWS

...will return next year, since we're now already into "Hogswatch break"
territory. Here's hoping that 2022 will finally see a return to safer
meet-ups!

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

06) ROUNDWORLD TALES: THE ADVENTURES OF KEN ALLEN

Wossname has featured amazing Roundworld Orangutans before, but have you
ever heard of the famous escape artist known as Ken? Son of proud
parents Maggie and Bob, Ken was born in 1971 at the San Diego Zoo. While
he was happy in his human-built home, he was obviously not just another
meek ape...

"In his nursery, Ken would unscrew every nut that he could find and
remove the bolts. Keepers would no sooner put them back when he would be
at it again. Nor could he ever be kept in his room... In fact, when Ken
was first moved into the Heart of the Zoo exhibit, he was caught
throwing rocks at a television crew that was filming the neighboring
gorillas..."

But what Ken really wanted was a bit of a wander. In June of 1985, he
escaped and happily joined the human visitors looking at the other zoo
residents. Despite his keepers spending a lot of time and money
escape-proofing his home, he did it again in July and August – and then
started encouraging his housemate Vicki to do the same! And that was far
from Ken's last escape; he even managed to encourage another housemate,
Kumang, into escaping (and this clever lass figured out how to nullify
the electric fencing around their enclosure).

In all his adventures, Ken Allen never harmed any zookeepers or members
of the public. Ken died of cancer in December 2000, but his legend lives
on – and we've learned from his escapades that orangutans are even
brighter and more observant than previously thought.

Sources: https://bit.ly/3sm83vW and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Allen

Also, here be "The Ballad of Ken Allen": https://bit.ly/3FyiqRf

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

08) IMAGES OF THE MONTH

Memory lane: an excellent Adora Belle and Moist from Ooook Productions'
staging of Going Postal:
https://bit.ly/3HIrsfR

Part of the cast of the Roleystone Theatre's recent production of
Hogfather: https://bit.ly/3edPj9O

A scrap of the shooting script for Good Omens 2, as posted by Neil
Gaiman: https://bit.ly/3cQsQ1F

A very large Snow Baby or a very small Julie Walters: https://bit.ly/3yM2Hv0

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

09) CLOSE

...and that's it for December. Wossname wishes all our Readers a safe
and happy Hogswatch season! Take care, mind how you go, and we'll see
you next year. May it be a better one than the previous two years have
been...

– Annie Mac

This issue can be viewed on the Clacks at
https://wossname.dreamwidth.org/83023.html

The End. If you have any questions or requests, write: wossname-owner
(at) pearwood (dot) info