Wossname -- May 2015 -- 2nd edition (Glorious 25th)

News and reviews about the works of Sir Terry Pratchett wossname at pearwood.info
Sat May 23 23:04:56 AEST 2015

Wossname
May 2015 (Volume 18, Issue 5, Post 2)

WOSSNAME is a free publication offering news, reviews, and all the other
stuff-that-fits pertaining to the works and activities of Sir Terry
Pratchett. Originally founded by the late, great Joe Schaumburger for
members of the worldwide Klatchian Foreign Legion and its affiliates,
including the North American Discworld Society and other continental
groups, Wossname is now for Discworld and Pratchett fans everywhere in
Roundworld.

GNU Terry Pratchett: Sending Home, forever (and secreted in Wossname's
own server)
Never forget: http://www.gnuterrypratchett.com/

Editor in Chief: Annie Mac
News Editor: Vera P
Newshounds: Mogg, Sir J of Croydon Below, the Shadow, Wolfiekins
Staff Writers: Asti, Pitt the Elder, Evil Steven Dread, Mrs Wynn-Jones
Staff Technomancers: Jason Parlevliet, Archchancellor Neil, DJ Helpful
Book Reviews: Annie Mac, Drusilla D'Afanguin, Your Name Here
Puzzle Editor: Tiff (still out there somewhere)
Emergency Staff: Steven D'Aprano, Jason Parlevliet
World Membership Director: Steven D'Aprano (in his copious spare time)

01) MORE QUOTES OF THE MONTH
02) EDITOR'S LETTER
03) ODDS AND SODS
04) PAUL KIDBY NEWS
05) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS AND UPDATES
06) DISCWORLD ARTS AND CRAFTS NEWS
07) DISCWORLD MEETING GROUPS UPDATES AND REMINDERS
08) ROUNDWORLD TALES:
09) AROUND THE BLOGOSPHERE
10) MORE IMAGES OF THE MONTH
11) CLOSE

01) MORE QUOTES OF THE MONTH

"When it comes to inventing characters, don't base a character on
someone you know. But it may be a good idea to base the character on a
type of character that you know, because lots of other people will know
people like that. And if they know people like that, then half the work
has been done for you."
– The Author, interviewed in April 2000

"We have lost a great man, but what he has left us is staggering."
– blogger Richard Cooper

"Print books were never going to be dead. That was coming from
businesses that are selling e-readers. As new ways to read come into the
market, people will use those too. It doesn't mean the death of the book
or bookshop."
– Joel Becker, CEO of the Australian Booksellers Association

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

02) A LETTER FROM YOUR EDITOR

The Glorious 25th is upon us! It would appear that since the death of
our beloved Author, the Ankh-Morpork remembrance date from the events of
Night Watch is becoming the general Terry Pratchett Day of Remembrance –
and indeed why not. Pratchett fans around the world will be wearing
lilac sprigs, or lilac badges, or lilac brooches, and for the many who
also honour the late Douglas Adams on this same day ("Towel Day"),
wearing or carrying lilac-coloured towels. Of course none of us were
there at the Republic of Treacle Mine Road barricades, but it's the
spirit that matters. So on this coming Monday, the Glorious 25th, do
take a few minutes to quietly salute the heroes of the Glorious
Revolution of Ankh-Morpork and most of all to salute their creator. Or
celebrate the day noisily. Or toast them with a glass of lilac liqueur –
er, you did remember to start brewing some a few weeks ago, didn't you?
Oh well, if not, set this recipe aside until next March:

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Lilac-Liqueur

*

You really, really do want to read the interview featured in item 3.4c.
It's wide-ranging, it's intelligent, and it's full of glimpses into the
thought processes of The Author at length. And it has banananana dakrys
in it!

*

Remember, it's still possible to buy a copy of Backspindle Games' famous
"Guards! Guards!" board game before the licence – and supply – run out:
http://www.guardsguards.com – and you can also now pre-order Clacks:

http://backspindlegames.com/clacks/

*

By the way, the third quote in item 1 comes from an article about the
sort of bookshop Aziraphale and the Librarian would certainly approve
of, Kay Craddock's Antiquarian Booksellers in Melbourne city centre,
which has been selling and cherishing beautiful books for a
half-century. Here be a fascinating article about a fascinating shop:

"Stepping into the sunken bookshop in the neo-gothic Assembly Hall as
regular customer Barry Humphries does, the theatrical bibliophile stands
atop the stairs, inhales the air and declares: 'Kay, I'm back.' Just as
the motorcar didn't kill the bicycle and film didn't kill radio, the
e-book hasn't eliminated books or bookshops. Up to 1000 retailers
nationwide have fought off the threat of the internet and e-readers with
Nielsen BookScan​ data showing national book sales rose 2.3 per cent in
2014..."

http://bit.ly/1IQv0L7

And now, on with the show. Get those lilacs ready!

– Annie Mac, Editor

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

03) ODDS AND SODS

3.1 SIR PTERRY: CLOSER TO THE EDGE...

 From The Register, with the sub-headline "Reader acronym poll firmly
backs the late and great Sir Terry":

"Our search for a suitably snappy title for our forthcoming final Low
Orbit Helium Assisted Navigator (LOHAN) test flight has ended agreeably
with a reader poll coming down firmly in support of PRATCHETT. Alex
Carlton's "Planes Reactive Airborne Tests Checking Heuristically for
Extreme Technological Tantrums" ran away with the vote, and his tribute
to the late and great Discworld author Sir Terry has secured him a brand
spanking new RockBLOCK Mk2 Iridium satellite comms unit, courtesy of our
mates at Rock Seven. The PRATCHETT mission will see our US allies at
Edge Research Laboratory sending a Vulture 2 spaceplane avionics rig
stratowards, to see both how the kit handles the cold at altitude, and
to test a hook-up of the 900MHz ultra long range radio rig. We'll bring
you details closer to the (as yet undecided) date, and in the meantime
raise the traditional glass or two to Alex Carlton, Rock Seven, all of
you who participated and, of course, Sir Terry Pratchett."

http://bit.ly/1c8iGHw

About Edge Research:

"The mission of Edge Research Lab is to expand humanity's knowledge of
the physical world, encourage enthusiasm in STEM education, and practice
efficient research through the novel application of existing technology
where possible and the development of new technology where necessary...
Few things are more rewarding than a good collaboration, and you have a
chance to experience that by collaborating with us and the international
team from The Register's Special Projects Bureau to do something truely
remarkable: launch a rocket-powered spaceplane from a balloon! We've
tweeted about our involvement with the project before, but now it's
official – the Kickstarter campaign is live, so you know it's a Real
Thing (as everything on the internet is), and you can experience the
rewardingness of collaboration. EDGE will be providing operations and
logistics support to the mission, and we're thrilled to be working with
the team that holds the Guinness world record for the highest launch of
a paper airplane. More information can be found on the Kickstarter
campaign page (_http://kck.st/1JEQ9XL_)."

3.2 i09's GUIDE TO DISCWORLD

Excellent lengthy analysis/paean by Katharine Trendacosta that does its
impressive best to explain the appeal and intricacies of the Discworld
series – and for once, the comments *are* worth reading (in fact, they
form a vital party of the piece since Ms Trendacosta answers almost
every commenter). The page also includes a number of vivid "reprints" of
Discworld illustrations by Kidby, Kirby and Simonetti. Here be some
extracts from the beginning:

"Pratchett sets up fantasy tropes, and then asks, 'What if the wizard
was incompetent? What if the heroes were brave morons? What if our
protagonist never stopped being a complete coward?' But the later
Discworld books turn into a satire of our reality, rather than just a
satire of fantasy literature. 'What,' asked Pratchett, 'if fantasy
worlds had exactly the same problems we do?' The biggest danger to
Discworld doesn't come from megalomaniacs with a desire to take over the
world. Rather, it's the little evils lurking in everyone: sexism,
racism, classism — small-mindedness, in all its forms. And, because of
that, the saviors don't spring from 'prophecy' or 'chosen ones' —
rather, salvation comes from common sense, and those who act on it. With
Discworld, Pratchett's great achievement was to create a universe that
looked as familiar as Middle Earth, and fill it with people that had
more in common with recognizable, modern-day people than with Aragorn or
Frodo...

"Pratchett uses puns, pop culture references, historical in-jokes and
everything in between to create a world that is rich and ridiculous. He
deploys footnotes like joke bombs. And, somehow, Discworld remains
internally consistent. It's satire as pointed as Jonathan Swift and as
modern as Stephen Colbert. On the Disc, every horrible and absurd thing
is taken to its extreme end. But Pratchett doesn't stop at highlighting
things, he also gives us hope. Because these are novels — fantasy
novels, even — so the good guys do succeed in the end. See, they
whisper, if they can figure it out, why can't we? If trolls and dwarfs
can get along, surely we can..."

http://io9.com/the-io9-guide-to-discworld-1698768077

3.3 REMINDER: DISCWORLD WEEKEND AT THE OXFORD STORY MUSEUM

The Mort Weekend is under way!

"The Story Museum are proud to announce the return of Discworld Weekend,
a celebration of Sir Terry Pratchett's phenomenally successful Discworld
books. Taking place on the 23rd and 24th May 2015, this year's event is
themed around the novel Mort, the story of a teenage boy who finds
himself as Death's apprentice, with both disastrous and hilarious
consequences. The weekend will see The Story Museum transform with a
series of specially programmed events and installations including
readings from Stephen Briggs (voice of the Discworld audiobooks), a talk
from Discworld super-fan and convention regular Dr Pat Harkin, the
chance to see Death and his horse Binky saddling up in our stables, a
special MURDER A CURRY night with Terry's assistant Rob Wilkins as guest
of honour, and an immersive trip through Death's own library and gardens.

"This year's event is especially poignant – on the 12th April the world
received with great sadness the news that Sir Terry had died at home,
with his cat sleeping on his bed, surrounded by his family. The loss of
such a great writer was felt no less keenly by The Story Museum – Sir
Terry had been a long term supporter and one of the 26 authors who
offered his time and image for the museum's highly acclaimed '26
Characters' exhibition. As well a whole host of Discworld events and
installations, visitors will also be able to enjoy The Museum's regular
attractions including Draw Me A Story, Time For Bed and Extreme Reading,
all of which will be sprinkled with a touch of Discworld magic."

When: Saturday 23rd May – Sunday 24th May 2015
Venue: Story Museum, Rochester House, 42 Pembroke Street, Oxford OX1 1BP
(phone +44 (0)1865 790050)
Time: 10am – 5pm Tues-Sat (when open); 11am-4pm Sundays (when open)
Tickets: The Discworld Weekend is included with a standard museum entry
ticket. Single tickets are priced at £7.50 (£5 concessions). Family
tickets are £20 (4 people including at least 1 child); no charge for
children under 2 years of age; groups of 10 or over receive 10% off,
only if they book through The Story Museum (01865 790050). Online
booking is no longer available, but there may be tickets at the door;
ring to check first!

http://www.storymuseum.org.uk/whats-on/discworld-weekend/

3.4 ANALYSES AND PAEANS

3.4a "Terry Pratchett Remembered", by Richard Cooper:

"Terry Pratchett had a way of crafting a sentence that was his own. This
is what makes him a great writer full-stop, not just a great popular
writer. By the time of books like Small Gods, Jingo, Nation, Monstrous
Regiment, and The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents he was a
writer incapable of writing a routine sentence... It was a wry, knowing,
sceptical style, constantly challenging received wisdom, and exploring
how that received wisdom – sometimes merely stupid, sometimes toxic –
affected everything from the psychological makeup of his protagonists,
to the behaviour of people in crowds, to the behaviour of whole
societies. Granny Weatherwax, Johnny Maxwell and Sam Vimes are
characters forged from the hammer and anvil collision of what a society
expects from its witches, children or police and what it actually needs;
between what stories have led us to expect witches, children and police
to be capable of and what happens when they affect the lives of real
human beings... No male novelist ever wrote better female characters. In
the series spanning from Equal Rites – in which a dying wizard hands on
his staff to a baby, not realising it is female, and the child grows up,
with the help of the village witch Granny Weatherwax, determined not to
let the wizard patriarchy hold her back – to the Tiffany Aching books –
in which a nine-year-old becomes a witch and learns everything from
defeating the Queen of the fairies to cheesemaking to puberty – he
constructed a brilliant feminist panorama, in which complex evils have
to be fought while a community has to be maintained... In person
Pratchett was as awesome as you'd expect him to be, every speech full of
the wit, grace and love of language that reflected Pratchett's love of
Chesterton, Twain and Wodehouse. The fight he put up against PCA was as
inspiring as one of Tiffany Aching's battles,and he displayed the same
poignant determination to bring warmth and humour to darkness..."

http://bit.ly/1c9Vyso

3.4b On Reason.com, Scott Shackton's analysis of the sociopolitics of
Pratchett:

"In Pratchett's books, both the heroes and the villains tended to be
people in positions of authority. What separated his heroes — people
like police commander Samuel Vimes, witch Esme "Granny" Weatherwax, and
even Patrician Havelock Vetinari, an assassin turned ruler of the
sprawling city of Ankh-Morpork — from the villains was their insistence
on letting people live their own lives, whatever may come of it, even
when they made a mess of things. By contrast, Pratchett's villains,
whether they were fallen and irrelevant nobles, religious leaders,
narcissistic elves, or tradition-obsessed dwarves, pursued power for
themselves while claiming it was for the benefit of all. The ultimate
villains in Pratchett's books were the 'auditors of reality,' shapeless
cosmic bureaucrats who hate life because it's so unpredictable. People
aren't just shaped by the universe. They help reshape the universe, and
this torments creatures who want nothing more than a permanent form of
order... Pratchett's works embraced progress and innovation, both in
technology and in humanity. His book series may have started in what
appeared to be a typical quasi-medieval fantasy milieu, but it was far
from static. Over the course of his novels, the Discworld saw the
invention of the printing press, a form of telegraph, paper currency,
mail, and in the last book to be published before Pratchett's death, the
steam engine. But also over the course of his novels, the Discworld also
saw the development of concepts of liberty, like the free practice of
religion, freedom of speech and of the press, and the notion that basic
rights ought to be extended to new races that humanity had treated like
vermin or property — goblins, orcs, golems, the undead..."

http://bit.ly/1Ft8kgf

3.4c Here be a terrific interview from the not-too-distant past!
"Writers Write" has republished an extensive interview with Sir Pterry
by Claire E. White from fifteen years ago. Originally posted on the
Internet Writing Journal in April 2000, this is a great read. And it
includes a banananana dakry:

"I don't think anyone gets everything. But I think nearly every one gets
80% - 90% of the references in the book. But I hope that the things that
they don't get they don't notice that they're not getting, if you follow
me. There is a character mentioned in the book, (although he's never
appeared because he's dead) called Bloody Stupid Johnson, who is the
opposite of a genius. He is kind of the negative image of Leonardo de
Vinci. He's built various things which don't work, and they all failed
to work in a most spectacular way. One of the things he built is the
Mighty Organ at the Unseen University, which can make the most
astonishing array of sounds. There is a scene in one of the books where
one of my characters is at the Ankh-Morpork Opera house. The Opera
House's organ has been busted and needs some spare parts. So the
character says, "Well, I've been in touch with the University and it's a
marvelous thing. It turns out that our organ is a Johnson." Now, no one
in England is going to get that line, but most Americans probably will.
But it doesn't actually matter to me that no one in England will, unless
they've watched a few American movies, because they're not going to
notice it. Ultimately I put those things in because I think it will be
fun at that point...

"I have to say that I simply hate it when reviewers call my work 'wacky'
or 'zany'. Those people are going to be hunted down by the Mafia!
Seriously, I suppose around the fifth or six Discworld book, I
discovered the joy of plot. I think it was Esther Friesner who said you
have to have tragic relief. If a book is nothing but funny, then it is
nothing but funny. There is no contrast and it's hard to take anything
seriously. It's hard to worry about the fate of a character. You do need
those moments when you bring people down to Earth. I think the book
which generated the most mail and email was Jingo. In Jingo, there was a
theme of what you might call quantum confusion (and only in fantasy can
you get away with this kind of thing). Vimes picks up his personal
organizer just at the moment when the Universe is splitting into two. So
that is the point where he picks up the personal organizer that belongs
to the Vimes that makes the decision in a different way, so he gets a
personal organizer which is effectively telling him what would have been
happening in his life had he not made a particular decision. There is a
scene where he's actually seeing (as if it were notes in organizer) all
his colleagues dying (although in his universe they are around him and
are alive). There is a war going on and in the section of the organizer
that says Things To Do Today, the entry says 'die'. This was quite
chilling to see. These terrible things happened because he made a small
decision which had a profound effect. Because there was just that moment
of uncertainty when the two organizers in the two universes could
interchange and because of that minor decision, he and every one he knew
died. In fact, he hadn't made that minor decision in this universe, so
he was alive, but he could hear what would have happened. We don't often
get that opportunity. Writing those scenes taught me a few things. One
of the things it taught me is that you should never regret. You should
never say, 'If only I had taken that job. If only I had not done this or
I had not done that.' Because you don't know what else would have
happened. If you had taken that job, yes it would have offered better
promotions and more money, but if you had been going to work to that job
on a particular day, you'd have been run over by a bus. You don't know
what other things would have happened as a result of the decision. So,
basically, you better just take what comes down the pipe...

"I will say this for the Americans: In England, if you'd ordered a drink
that was twice the normal size, they'd water it down. But in New
Orleans, a liter daiquiri has twice as much alcohol as a half liter
daiquiri. It was so delicious that I had another one. Then I thought I'd
try a liter of the peach daiquiri, and I had about half of that one. In
the 1950s comic books, sometimes a character would have a nuclear
reactor fall on him. Then he'd become 'Mr. Atomic'. I drank so much
banana daiquiri that night that I think every cell in my body was full
of banana daiquiri. I became Dr. Daiquiri. I think that's the only way I
survived. I couldn't feel my upper lip for quite awhile after that,
though. The point is, if you make a real daiquiri, according to a real
recipe, you don't feel well again until tea time the next day..."

http://bit.ly/1z6XIgz

3.4d Fantastic analysis of and love-song to Night Watch, by Sam Jordison
in The Guardian:

"The impression you get of politics from Night Watch is that it's a
nasty, brutish business best left to nasty, brutish people. Which is to
say, politicians – who are, of course, the very ones who deserve to
suffer its cruel consequences. But what I can say is that I'd want to be
on Terry Pratchett's side. Or at least, the side of Vimes, the leader of
the titular Night Watch, who always manages to find not only the most
practical solution to a problem, but the solution that does the least
harm. As an approach to politics, that takes some beating. He is the
hero of the book, in all senses of the word – a true star who lights up
the page, as well as a man to admire and follow. If I sound a little
smitten with Vimes it's just a mark of Pratchett's magic. Because of
course this book is more than sharp political commentary. It is, to
quote AS Byatt again, the work of a 'master storyteller' who can make
you believe in a man who is accidentally transported back in time and
has to coach his younger self to become a decent Night Watchman, while
fomenting a rebellion in which people just go about their daily lives,
and battling a serial killer who also travelled back in time with him..."

http://bit.ly/1KGU1FM

...and another Sam Jordison piece, about the *real* science of
Discworld, which includes parts of an interview with co-author Jack Cohen:

"I'm guessing that people will read Terry Pratchett for generations to
come. Partly for the intrinsic value of the books – because they are so
funny, so smart and so perceptive. And partly because, surprising as it
may seem considering they are fantasy novels, there can be few better
guides to contemporary thinking in the late 20th and early 21st
centuries... The Discworld, in short, is a good place to discuss
difficult subjects. It allows for clarity and directness and also –
because it is fantasy, and because the whole thing is being carried on
the back of a giant turtle – sharp contrast. A fine example of just how
well the Discworld works as an idea machine comes in the Science of
Discworld series co-written by Terry Pratchett, Ian Stewart and Jack
Cohen. These books explore scientific ideas and tell a Discworld story
in alternate chapters. The opening premise is that the wizards of Unseen
University have accidentally created a new universe – one, crazily, that
seems to run on the laws of physics rather than the more usual dictates
of magic and narrative. Naturally, the wizards start to poke around in
this universe, thus setting off the Big Bang and initiating a voyage of
discovery through our own cosmic laws as they examine Earth, or 'the
Roundworld', from a fresh perspective. The four books in the series have
delighted and enlightened hundreds of thousands of readers (myself
included) since the first one appeared in 1999. The Science of Discworld
should have been a gift to publishing. But as Jack Cohen told me last
week, it took a lot of persuasion before any publisher would take it on..."

http://bit.ly/1F1Cbch

3.5 GOOD OMENS T-SHIRT

T-shirt of note – an excellent Good Omens one by pop-culture retailers
Tee Fury, approved by co-author Neil Gaiman, to raise funds for
Alzheimer's research. This page includes an interview with the artist,
Sean Phillips:

"Once in a blue moon, one stumbles upon a work of fiction that reignites
a lost passion. For me, this was the work of Neil Gaiman and the passion
was comics. After reading 'Sandman', I found myself re-examining comics
as a grown-up and versatile format of storytelling that expanded beyond
the world of capes and tights with which I was already familiar.
Long admired by creative types and fantasy fans alike, the prolific
author's work has graced not just comics, but novels, movies, and
children's books. Now, his image graces a Charitee with a TeeFury shirt
by artist Sean Phillips. In this unique imagining, we see Gaiman
depicted with the iconic instruments of the angel Aziraphale and the
demon Crowley from the novel 'Good Omens'..."

http://www.teefury.com/blog/a-good-omen-charitee/

And the t-shirt itself, which is available in men's sizes up to 3XL and
is priced at $11:

http://www.teefury.com/a-good-omen

3.6 GOING BOINGGG! FOR ALZHEIMER'S AND ORANGUTANS

A fundraising bungee jump in memory of Sir Pterry, to be performed by
Steven Smith:

"On June 13th we will be taking part in a 160ft bungee jump to raise
money in memory of Sir Terry Pratchett. We are supporting two great
causes that he was a patron of. One is the Orangutan Foundation. Bornean
orangutans are endangered, while their Sumatran siblings are critically
endangered. The other charity we are supporting is Alzheimer's Research
UK. This illness needs all the funding it can get to try and find a
cure. To support us, donate at our JustGiving page:
https://www.justgiving.com/teams/StevenVanessaBungee

"If you are a UK tax payer be sure to tick the box so the charities can
claim Gift Aid. You can choose to support either charity, or donate to
both. We hope to raise at least £125 for each – So far we are at £85 for
the Orangutans and £115 for Alzheimer's Research, so please help us beat
these targets!"

3.7 REVIEWS

A lovely review of Where's My Cow? by blogger The Manila Reader aka Kokay:

"My first story as a child was told to me by my father. I was probably
the same age as Young Sam (in Where's My Cow). I remember the nights,
inside my parents' room in our small starter home. My father would read
it to me again, over and over – the tale of how the animals from all
over the world, walked by pair inside Noah's Ark. To a child's
imagination, the ark bent space and time, it was infinitely large
inside! There came the largest elephant, the fiercest lions, the birds,
the dogs, cats, probably a kangaroo hopped inside too, but at the age of
one, the only exotic animal I could fit inside it were ducks and rats...
It was one of the highlights of my childhood. We didn't have any other
book in the house, not until the alphabet books came (which is not the
same).

"These days, parents would leave their children as early as one year old
in front of the tv so they could get on with their house duties. But
there's something heroic about parents reading to their children. Try it
moms and dads, it's worth it. I know it was! I remember my father,
patient man that he is, reading Noah's ark many times in one night. My
mother was probably relieved that I was nagging someone else during
bedtime... Noah's Ark must have been a big hit for a child of one, but
it could be trying to fathers (and mothers) all over the world. So,
Terry Pratchett, being a genius (as this site attest to the many books
I've reviewed) released a truly interactive approach to the usual animal
bedtime story with a twist in Where's My Cow? It is a plus if your
household loves the Discworld series and is familiar with one of its
heroes – Sir Samuel Vimes, Knight, Duke and Commander of Discworld's
fictional police force. In Where's My Cow, Sam Vimes must always come
home at six o'clock. No crime is too big, no VIP so important and no
mortal peril so dangerous for him not to read to Young Sam at six
sharp... Sam Vimes and Young Sam reads this short but charming tale of
farm animals baa-ing, neighing, oink-ing and when Sam Vimes got
impatient, he added a chorus of city creatures with hilarious results.
Parents are expected to read the animal noises accurately and with
choreography! All in all I think for a 38-page book, it is worth having
for the price of endless hours of entertainment not only for the child
but also the adult who reads it..."

http://bit.ly/1IQJCdx

In The Guardian, a review we may have missed – Unseen Academicals, by
author Harry Ritchie:

"The secret of Terry Pratchett's comic fantasy isn't so much the
wackiness of the fantasy as the reliability of the comedy. The very
least you get in any of these 400 pages is amiable, agreeable
chuntering, and there is an instructively regular provision of terrific
lines: the atmosphere in the Uncommon Room is 'as cold as meltwater',
Archchancellor Ridcully is astonished at noticing the intelligence in a
servant's expression and thinks that 'it was as if a chicken had
winked', a lingering kiss from the luscious Juliet sounds like 'a tennis
ball being sucked through the strings of a racket'. There's equally
effective quality control of the comic riffs – as when Stibbons replies
with exhaustive honesty when Ridcully asks what the wizards need to
learn about football – and of the jokes, such as Dr Hix's evil plan 'to
spread darkness and despondency throughout the world by the means of
amateur dramatics', or the second verse of the Ankh-Morpork national
anthem, which consists mainly of ner-ner-ners interspersed with
occasional coherent words, because that's all anyone would remember of a
second verse..."

http://bit.ly/1Q2ypW3

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

04) PAUL KIDBY NEWS

4.1 KIDBY'S DISCWORLD BARON UPDATE

"A life-sized fibreglass sculpture with the face of Sir Terry Pratchett
decorated by long-time Discworld collaborator Paul Kidby is to go on
display... Up to 25 statues of medieval barons, decorated by local
artists, will be placed around Salisbury from 12 June. Illustrator Mr
Kidby said the statue was a "tribute to Terry's writing". The fantasy
artist, who illustrated a number of Discworld publications, said his
baron did not sport Sir Terry's trademark hat and glasses. "It has a
beard so I'm making mine look as much like Terry as I can," he said.
"He's got a shield with Terry's Discworld on it, a helmet with a famous
Discworld motto, and on his back he has a cloak made up of about 70 of
his most famous characters. Its[sic] always nice to remind people of the
books that Terry wrote and I'm hoping lots of people will come and see
it and enjoy it." The statue will form part of an art trail of 5ft
(1.5m)-tall sculptures in Salisbury to mark the 800th anniversary of the
Magna Carta.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-wiltshire-32717745

 From the Bath Chronicle:

"The sculpture took Paul and his team around 300 hours to complete will
go on show in June for the whole summer alongside 24 others, before it
is auctioned in September. Paul said: "I hope Terry would like it. It is
created as a tribute to Terry and it seemed to make sense to do make a
piece of public art as a tribute to Terry. The face is a bit like Terry
and I did try to make it more like him, but of course he is famous for
his fedora hat and his glasses, and when you are given a 3D canvas to
work with, it is difficult. I am just putting the finishing touches to
him and I hope to have him down by the end of the week. It's lovely to
be involved in something like this, to brighten up the streets and bring
people in.'... Paul's designs have been on the sleeve covers of Sir
Terry's Discworld books since 2001. He took delivery of his 5ft baron in
February, and it has been sitting in his conservatory, where he started
working on it three weeks ago. 'He's got a shield with Terry's Discworld
on it, a helmet with a famous Discworld motto, and on his back he has a
cloak made up of about 70 of his most famous characters,' said Paul.
'It's always nice to remind people of the books that Terry wrote and I'm
hoping lots of people will come and see it and enjoy it.'

The trail will run from 12 June until 6 September.

http://bit.ly/1Fr7v7x

And here is Mr Kidby with his finished Discworld baron. Note the writing
on the helmet!

http://bit.ly/1EFYzYh

4.2 DISCWORLD AND BEYOND EXHIBIT MOVES TO LUTON

The Discworld & Beyond touring exhibition will be at Wardown Park
Museum, Wardown Park, Old Bedford Road, Luton, LU2 7HA (Tel. 01582
546722) from 25th July–1st November 2015. Entry is free!

"'Discworld & Beyond' features interesting and colourful artwork created
by Paul Kidby for Sir Terry Pratchett's popular comic fantasy series as
well as a range of work from his own projects, including the recently
published book 'The Charmed Realm'. Drawings, oil paintings and
watercolours will be on display."

http://bit.ly/1LnVfWN

http://bit.ly/1SfgfUV

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

05) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS AND UPDATES

5.1 CARPE JUGULUM IN THE LAND OF FOG

Wellington Repertory Theatre presents Terry Pratchett's Carpe Jugulum
adapted for the stage by Stephen Briggs and directed by Ross Miller.

When: Wednesday 27th May to Saturday 6th June (excluding Monday 1st June)
Venue: Gryphon Theatre, Ghuznee Street, Wellington.
Time: 8pm all dates except 31st May (3pm) and 2nd and 3rd June (6.30pm)
Tickets: adults $25, concession $20, $18 for pre-paid groups of 10 or
more.
To book, email bookings at wellingtonrepertory.org.nz, or ring 479 3393.

http://www.wellingtonrepertory.org.nz/

5.2 REMINDER: WYRD SISTERS IN BRIGHTON (MAY)

The Brighton University Drama Society, who presented their first
Discworld play (Mort) in 2012, are back with their production of Wyrd
Sisters, this time for the Brighton Fringe Festival. "In this unusual
retelling of Macbeth, let BUDS take you on the back of the Great A'Tuin
and bring you on an adventure to save a kingdom with three rather
different witches." A percentage of proceeds will be going to The
Research Institute for the Care of Older People (RICE) in honour of the
late author.

When: 28th – 30th May 2015
Venue: Brighthelm Church & Community Centre, North Road, Brighton, East
Sussex BN1 1YD
Time:  All shows 7.30pm (show runs for 2 hours 30 minutes)
Tickets: £7 (£5 concessions) For online booking, go to:
http://boxoffice.brightonfringe.org/theatre/9181/wyrd-sisters

5.3 REMINDER: SMALL GODS IN ADELAIDE, FOURECKS (MAY)

Unseen Theatre's production of Small Gods is up and running!

When: Season continues Wednesday to Saturday through 30th May.
Venue: Bakehouse Theatre, 255 Angas Street, Adelaide
Time: All shows at 8pm
Tickets: Adults $20; Concession $18; TREv $16; Groups (10+) $16; Preview
all tickets $15; Companion Card accepted.
To book online, go to: www.bakehousetheatre.com
Tickets can also be purchased at the door on the night (subject to
availability).

http://unseen.com.au/

5.4 REMINDER: CARPE JUGULUM IN POTSDAM, BRANDENBURG (JUNE)

The English Drama Group will present their production of Carpe Jugulum
in June.

When: 4th, 6th, 8th, 10th, 16th, 19th and 24th June 2015 (also 29th June
at different venue; see below)
Venue: Potsdam University canteen, first floor, New Palais (Neues
Palais) campus (4th through 24th); Hans Otto Theatre, Potsdam (29th)
Time: 6:30pm all campus shows; 7.30pm at Hans Otto theatre
Tickets: €5 (discount tickets €3)

http://edg-potsdam.jimdo.com/
http://www.facebook.com/EDGpotsdam
http://www.hansottotheater.de/ (not listed yet)

5.5 SMALL GODS IN ADELAIDE: RAVE REVIEWS!

By Stephen Davenport for InDaily:

"Sir Terry Pratchett may be gone but he is not forgotten. His satire is
rip-roaring and, to borrow one of the fantasy author's own quotes, his
'words are the litmus paper of the mind'. Small Gods confirms, yet
again, Adelaide-based Unseen Theatre Company's status as an accomplished
and engaging presenter of Pratchett's Discworld series of novels.
Director Pamela Munt and her ensemble have taken the author's thirteenth
book and transformed it into something remarkable and compulsively
enjoyable, creating the multi-layered society of the Disc in an
enchanting, colourful fantasy adventure with a satirical bite... Munt
has a great understanding of Discworld and Pratchett's swipe at religion
and intolerance, and as a result she has created a solid production.
This is probably close to what Sir Terry had in his mind when he wrote
the book. The director allows the saga to sweep along on a wave of
politics, battles, plots, passion and flights of fantasy. Her admirable
cast whizzes along, too, with a goodly amount of gusto, talent and fun..."

http://bit.ly/1IN3VH5

By Louise Miller-Frost for Adelaide Theatre Guide:

"As the only person actually hearing the genuine voice of Om, Brutha is
an observer and reluctant participant in the machinations of the church
hierarchy as they cynically jockey for position and power. Alycia Rabig
does an excellent portrayal of the impotent and self-absorbed Om,
increasingly isolated from anything to do with holy practices and
seemingly amused by the false holy documents produced in her name.
Adeodatus McCormack is the evil Deacon Vorbis, and his cynicism and the
pleasure he derives from casual cruelty adequately display how an evil
leader is able to rout an ostensibly good organisation... The wit and
satire in this adaptation and in the original novel make what could have
been a heavy story into an entertaining evening. The sparse set and
props worked well with set changes occurring smoothly as the action
continued on-stage. Costuming is effective and with the exception of a
period at the beginning when harsh overhead lighting indicating a
narrative section made it quite difficult for the audience to watch,
this was a masterful performance..."

http://bit.ly/1KgtSAW

By Christine Pyman on Broadway World:

"Unseen Theatre Company takes this on with their usual enthusiasm and
energy, resulting in a production that will stay with the audience for a
long time, I suspect... Tedmanson [Brutha] had the lion's share of the
lines in this play, and carried out his role with a sensitivity that
generated audience compassion for his character. Along the way, we get
to meet Deacon Vorbis, played with relish and evil delight by Adeodatus
McCormack, who showed some of the depths that organised religions have
gone to, and the sort of power-hungry men who have been drawn to their
respective churches, to make their views the only acceptable version of
reality for everyone. In true Pratchett fashion, we find ourselves
laughing whilst starting to gasp with horror, both at what we are
witnessing and the realisations of the truths behind it all, and horror
that we are actually laughing at it. On the opposite side of the
religious discussion, are the Ephebians, led by their Tyrant, played by
the amazingly and exotically bedecked Sally Peck who, ironically enough,
is the embodiment of religious freedom. There are also the local
philosophers, led by Didactylos who, with a broad Australian accent, was
the personification of Didacticism, to everyone's enjoyment. Other
characters who helped carry the story were the wise and self-effacing
monk Lu-Tze, played by the Lu-Tze-like, apart possibly from the
self-effacing part, Phillip Lineton, and there is Tony Power in the
multiple roles of a memorable Brother Nhumrod, Sergeant Simony, and one
of the guards, as well as David Haller, as some comic relief in his own
right, plus more multiple roles played by Tony Cockington and Aimee
Ford, and a cameo by the experienced DEATH, Hugh O'Connor..."

http://bit.ly/1Lazl9p

By Henry Rodriguez on TREv:

"The novel is definitely one of Pratchett's more difficult to translate
onto stage; there is a lot of tortoise and a large part of both the
story and humour is provided by narration. Despite this
director/producer/actor Pamela Munt has managed to condense the story
into a play for the Unseen Theatre Company that hits all the plot points
and doesn't lose any of the comedy... Reliance on narration by the added
character Footnote was at times heavy handed and occasionally broke the
pace of the action. Nonetheless, newcomers to Pratchett's Discworld,
after some initial reorientation, should have no trouble falling into
the tale of a small tortoise and her apostle Brutha (charmingly played
by Timothy Tedmanson). The other potential staging difficulty – Om
herself – proved no obstacle. Having a (human) member of the cast with
tortoise in hand representing all the emotion and dialogue of the god
was definitely the next best thing to having a real telepathic tortoise.
The interesting choice to cast Om as a woman also worked well and added
a new layer of satire. Alycia Rabig wonderfully portrayed the comic
frustration you would expect from a god with an inferiority complex.Head
Exquisitor Vorbis and associates were given a distinctly Spanish
Inquisition vibe... I found it easy to delight in the productions
devoted attention to detail, such as a tortoiseshell patterned floor
(the turtle moves!) and a cameo from a wonderfully mellifluous Death.
The Unseen Theatre Company's Small Gods is a fitting homage to the late
great author himself..."

http://trev.org.au/index.php?PID=1423

By Peter Maddern on Kryztoff:

"As always, Munt's working of the book and direction keeps the story
flowing, never leaving her audience to ponder for long any of the long
bows of logic or pointed barbs embedded in the script; not bad for a
show that runs nearly two hours. Michelle Whichello's costume work also
needs some recognition with praise (from me at least) for decking out
Vorbis and his henchmen as facsimile copies of Monty Python's Spanish
Inquisition team, including, did I think I noticed, Cardinal Biggles in
one of the scenes. Note must also be made of High O'Connor who again
appeared, as it seems he always does, as DEATH – well done for sitting
around til 10pm to have your five lines in the sun..."

http://www.kryztoff.com/RAW/

...and an uncredited, unlinked rave review from the mysterious Encore:

"The UTC leaps fearlessly into the adaptation of a much loved novel by a
much loved author. And as we know it's not for the first time. In fact
it's for the twenty-eighth time, so they must be getting something
right. Thing is, they're getting lots of things right. Staging,
lighting, sound, acting, directing. Even the venue, to which this was my
first visit, is suitably quirky. Adapted, Directed and Produced by
Pamela Munt who has found an unusual place for a comfort zone and is
patently a proper Pratchett fan, unable, I would suggest, to resist a
little part for herself.

"The whole is a marvellous ensemble production, with great individual
performances. Alycia Rabig warms into her role as Om as the play
progresses. I believe Adeodatus McCormack is your man if ever you need a
smug, supercilious expression in an actor. (but you can come out of
character for the bow Ade!) Harold Roberts commands attention with
shades of Paul Hogan. And Timothy Tedmanson, seldom off stage in this
show, shows himself an acting force to be reckoned with. Definitely one
to watch. Philip Lineton shows the young upstarts how this acting
malarkey should be done.

"We're lucky to have the likes of Pamela and her band of Merry Geeks in
Adelaide. In the quirky world of theatre they are the uber-quirky, but
the whole is done with love, and it shows."

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

06) DISCWORLD ARTS AND CRAFTS NEWS

The latest from the Cunning Artificers of Discworld Emporium is a timely
selection:

"'How do they rise up, rise up, rise up, rise up, how do they rise up,
rise up high?' The Glorious 25th is nearly upon us, and the Ankh-Morpork
Post Office has paid tribute to the People's Republic of Treacle Mine
Road with a host of commemorative offerings... On sale Monday 25th May,
the Treacle Mine Road 'Little Brown Envelope' contains a new 3p issue
from the 'Historic Ankh-Morpork' series featuring Treacle Mine Watch
House, and a special limited edition $1 Keel stamp... The $1 Keel issue
is a special Glorious 25th version of our $1 Vimes issue by guest artist
Bill Sanderson and is otherwise only available as a limited edition
sheet until the end of June (while stocks last), while the Watch House
3p joins our standard issues and is available to own singly or as whole
sheets...

"The latest edition of our Little Brown Envelope, commemorates the
People's Republic of Treacle Mine Road and the boys from the barricade.
Containing an assortment of Discworld Stamps with new issues from the
Ankh-Morpork Post Office paying homage to Terry Pratchett's Night Watch.
Each envelope in this edition includes a new 3p issue from the 'Historic
Ankh-Morpork' series featuring Treacle Mine Watch House, and a limited
edition 25p Keel stamp – a special Glorious 25th version of our $1 Vimes
issue by guest artist Bill Sanderson – otherwise only available as a
limited edition sheet until the end of June (while stocks last). A
generous amount of sports, $5 Blue Triangle and other rarities have also
been sprinkled throughout the edition. (please note that there is NO
sport for the $1 Keel stamp)."

The Treacle Mine Road LBE is priced at £5.00 and will be available for
purchase on – of course! – the 25th of May. For more information, and to
order, go to:

http://bit.ly/1LqXJUQ

Also, the 25p Keel Glorious 25th Commemorative Sheet:

"Limited edition sheet of Discworld Stamps commemorating the events of
the Glorious 25th of May, featuring Sgt. John Keel from Terry
Pratchett's Night Watch. This special version of our $1 Vimes standard
issue from the Ankh-Morpork Post Office features the exquisite artwork
of award-winning illustrator and Royal Mail artist Bill Sanderson, and
is available until the end of June while stocks last. Each stamp has
been coloured to complement previous versions and is only otherwise
available as single stamps in the Treacle Mine Road LBE. This exclusive
sheet measures 174 x 234mm THERE IS NO SPORT FOR THIS STAMP!"

The 25p Keel Commemorative Sheet is priced at £8.00 and will be
available for purchase on the 25th of May. For more information, and to
order, go to:

http://bit.ly/1FBp8ml

...and the 3p Watch House stamp:

"A new standard issue from the Ankh-Morpork Post Office's 'Historic
Ankh-Morpork' series, featuring the Treacle Mine Road Watch House – a
homage to the events of Terry Pratchett's Night Watch and the People's
Republic of Treacle Mine Road, each stamp features an illustration of
Vimes' first Watch Station by Peter Dennis. Traditionally printed on
authentic gummed stamp paper & perforated by hand. Stamp measures 42 x
33mm, sheet measures 209 x 198mm. Spot the sport! One stamp on every
sheet contains a 'deliberate' mistake or variation - only included on
whole sheets or in lucky LBEs

The Watch House 3p Stamp is priced at £0.50 per stamp or £9.50 for a
sheet of 19 stamps. For more information, and to order, go to:

http://www.discworldemporium.com/WatchHouse3p

"No homage to the boys from the barricade would be complete without a
Hard-Boiled Egg, an elegant addition to desk or shelf, and as May 25th
is also Towel Day (a celebration of the life and work of Douglas Adams)
you can double up on your literary tributes with a handy Glorious 25th
Tea-towel – exclusive to the Discworld Emporium! Commemorate the
Glorious 25th of May with Vimes and the Watch with this elegant
inscribed hard-boiled egg - a fitting tribute to the boys of Treacle
Mine Road. Each egg stands at 2 inches high, and is produced in an ivory
finish and presented in a lilac cotton drawstring pouch."

The Hard Boiled Egg is priced at £5.00. For more information, and to
order, go to:

http://bit.ly/1Hxndie

"Pay tribute to the boys from Treacle Mine Road and remember the
Glorious Revolution from Terry Pratchett's Night Watch with our
commemorative tea towel. Created in the style of a banner from the
barricades, each towel is emblazoned with the desires of the People's
Republic, and screen printed in lilac (of course!) onto 100% natural
cotton. It's almost too lovely to dry the dishes with, so why not hang
it as a flag of defiance in your abode to commemorate this most poignant
date in the Discworld calendar."

The Glorious 25th of May tea towel is priced at £6.95. For more
information, and to order, go to:

http://bit.ly/1LhYsr1

"All the best, and a hard-boiled egg, The Discworld Emporium"

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

07) DISCWORLD MEETING GROUPS: UPDATES AND REMINDERS

Canberra, Australia has a new Discworld fan group, Drumknott's
Irregulars! "We are a newly established Terry Pratchett & Discworld
social group in Canberra called Drumknott's Irregulars. The group is
open to all, people from interstate and overseas are welcome, and our
events will not be heavily themed. Come along to dinner for a chat and
good company. We welcome people all all fandoms (and none) and we would
love to see you at one of our events, even if you're just passing
through. Please contact us via Facebook
(_https://www.facebook.com/groups/824987924250161/_) or Google Groups
(_https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/drumknotts-irregulars_) or
join us at our next event."

*

The Broken Drummers, "London's Premier Unofficially Official Discworld
Group" (motto "Nil percussio est"), meets next on Monday 1st June 2015.
For more information, go to http://brokendrummers.org/ or email
BrokenDrummers at gmail.com or nicholls.helen at yahoo.co.uk

*

The Pratchett Partisans are a fan group who meet monthly at either
Brisbane or Indooroopilly to "eat, drink and chat about all things
Pratchett". For more info about their next meetup, go to
www.meetup.com/Pratchett-Partisans/ or contact Ula directly at
uwilmott at yahoo.com.au

*

The City of Small Gods is a group for fans in Adelaide and South
Australia. For more information on their upcoming activities, go to
www.cityofsmallgods.org.au

*

The Broken Vectis Drummers meet next on Thursday 4th June (probably)
from 7.30pm at The Castle pub in Newport, Isle of Wight. For more info
and any queries, contact broken_vectis_drummers at yahoo.co.uk

*

The Wincanton Omnian Temperance Society (WOTS) next meets on Friday 5th
June 2015 (probably) at Wincanton's famous Bear Inn from 7pm onwards.
"Visitors and drop-ins are always welcome!"

*

The Northern Institute of the Ankh-Morpork and District Society of
Flatalists, a Pratchett fangroup, has been meeting on a regular basis
since 2005 but is now looking to take in some new blood (presumably not
in the non-reformed Uberwald manner). The Flatalists normally meet at
The Narrowboat Pub in Victoria Street, Skipton, North Yorkshire, to
discuss "all things Pratchett" as well as having quizzes and raffles.
Details of future meetings are posted on the Events section of the
Discworld Stamps forum:

http://www.discworldstamps.co.uk/forum/

*

Sydney Drummers (formerly Drummers Downunder) meet next on Monday 1st
June 2015 at 6.30pm (probably) in Sydney at 3 Wise Monkeys, 555 George
Street, Sydney,2000. For more information, contact Sue (aka Granny
Weatherwax): kenworthys at yahoo.co.uk

*

The Treacle Mining Corporation, formerly known as Perth Drummers, meets
next on Monday 1st June 2015 (probably) from 5.30pm at Carpe Cafe, 526
Murray Street, Perth, Western Australia.

For details follow Perth Drummers on Twitter @Perth_Drummers or join
their Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Perth.Drummers/
– or message Alexandra Ware directly at <alexandra.ware at gmail.com>

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

08) ROUNDWORLD TALES: HIRING FAIRS

To go with the Story Museum's Mort Weekend, here is "Mort, Hiring Fairs,
and the Statute of Labourers" by Steven D'Aprano:

When young Mort's father decides Mort needs a job, he takes him to the
hiring fair at Sheepridge:

"The fair seemed to work like this: men looking for work stood in ragged
lines in the centre of the square. Many of them sported little symbols
in their hats to tell the world the kind of work they were trained in –
shepherds wore a wisp of wool, carters a hank of horsehair, interior
decorators a strip of rather interesting hessian wallcovering, and so on."

Although here in Roundworld there has never been a documented occasion
where Death has taken an apprentice, our hiring fairs are remarkably
similar. For at least four hundred years, hiring fairs were an
institution in the UK. Like the Disc version, people seeking employment
in Roundworld Britain would advertise their skills, or sometimes lack of
skills, by dressing in their Sunday best and carrying a tassel or symbol
of their trade. Such tassels became known as "mops", for the mop-heads
carried by would-be domestic servants, and the days themselves were also
called mop days.

Hiring fairs were made possible by the terror of the Black Death that
swept across Europe and Britain. So many people died, possibly as many
as half the population, that there was an acute labour shortage. Taking
advantage of the increased demand for workers, even unskilled labourers
were able to pick and choose their masters and demand higher wages. In
1351, the English king Edward III issued a draconian decree to control
wages at an extremely low rate, with severe penalties on both workers
who insisted on higher wages and employers who paid them. Workers were
forbidden from moving to other areas to look for work, and the law
mandated that anyone physically able to work must do so, under penalty
of prison. The law was one of the causes of the so-called Peasant's
Revolt, and although it ended up being poorly enforced, it did lead to a
fixed day each year where the shire constable would proclaim the
official rates of pay and conditions for the following twelve months.
This encouraged both workers and employers to gather to hear the new
rates, which developed into the hiring fair.

Apart from a lone hawker selling hot pies, possibly a relative of CMOT
Dibbler, the hiring fair that Mort visited seems to have been a rather
quiet and sober occasion. In our Roundworld versions, aided by the fact
that many servants were paid a lump sum at the end of their employment
and so had a pocketful of cash waiting to be spent, hiring fairs soon
took on the trappings of the fun fair, with games, rides, food and
drink, and a real party atmosphere: think of a jobs expo and Spring
Break all compressed into a single day. Or perhaps it's just that Mort,
being quite young and naive, merely failed to notice the drunken
licentiousness going on around him. Writing in 1892 about the town of
Pocklington, the Reverend Morris reminisced about the hiring days of his
youth with an endearing mix of disapproval and indulgence:

"Jack and Tommy, Joe and Harry, lustily greeted Polly, Sally, Jane, and
Maggy; loud and hearty were the salutations between friend and friend
joyous and exuberant were the spirits of these stalwart specimens of
humanity. ... It was like pandemonium let loose. All this naturally
tended to demoralise the young people, and the results can be better
imagined than described."

It wasn't all fun and games though. In 1848 there was a p'ticu'ly
'orrible murder of the teenager James Young coming home from the Dudsday
hiring fair, robbed for the then-considerable sum of 15 shillings in
silver. The gruesomeness of the murder, and the mystery of what a farm
servant was doing with so much money, made it quite notorious.

Hiring fairs of a sort continue to exist even today. In some UK towns,
mop days continue as funfairs, their original purpose forgotten. In
other places, hiring fairs continue as a form of job expo or trade fair,
where employers showcase their conditions and try to attract new staff.
Unfortunately for job seekers, these days there are probably fewer lusty
greetings and more demoralisation.

Sources for further reading are below.

Statute of Labourers:

http://avalon.law.yale.edu/medieval/statlab.asp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statute_of_Labourers_1351
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peasants'_Revolt

Hiring days:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiring_and_mop_fairs
http://www.pocklingtonhistory.com/archives/people/other/pocklingtonhiringfair/index.php
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dudsday
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_James_Young
http://www.europeanjobdays.eu/
http://www.uschamberfoundation.org/events/hiringfairs

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

09) AROUND THE BLOGOSPHERE

This round of Around the Blogosphere, instead of being the usual varied
grab-bag of random blogs, is dedicated solely to the essays and reviews
of one blogger: Graeme Neill, aka Pratchett Job. Mr Neill has undertaken
the daunting task of reading and reviewing The Author's entire oeuvre,
and while he's not the ultimate master of beautifully worded reviews,
his heart is pure and his language and lit-analysis skills are
definitely up to the job. Here be a selection of extracts from his
ever-growing set of Pratchett reviews...

Night Watch:

"Vimes assumes the identity of John Keel, his younger self's mentor. Can
he track down Carcer during revolutionary Ankh-Morpork, find his way
back into the present and his wife on the verge of giving birth to their
first child, teach his younger self the ways of proper policing and stop
the bloody crackdown on the Ankh-Morpork citizens by the Gestapo-like
Unmentionables? Well, of course he can but it makes for tremendous
reading. To tell the tale of Winder's downfall, he zeroes in on a small
part of Ankh-Morpork for the book. Practically no scenes take place
outside of a square mile or two of the Discworld's greatest/foulest
city. This places the import of what is happening directly in front of
the reader. It's all well and good talking about the wide dramatic sweep
of revolution but the critical thing is, it's about the people. Your
cousin, your gran, the fella you drink with who lives two streets away
but is now on the other side of the divide because he wanted to join the
army. War and conflict may change things but ultimately it affects us.
Pratchett juggles a wide cast of characters better than he has ever
done, all orbiting around Keel, and you really feel part of a community
in reading the novel... This is what I like about Pratchett, although it
is a point of view many may disagree with. Unlike a world where the
police is the black fist of the state or the people are the great noble
unwashed, people, according to Pratchett, are dicks. It's when ideas
gain momentum and spiral out of control that people get hurt. The People
tended to be small-minded and conservative and not very clever and were
even distrustful of cleverness. And so the children of the revolution
were faced with the age-old problem: it wasn't that you had the wrong
kind of government, which was obvious, but that you had the wrong kind
of people. Which doesn't make it easy for those wanting an easy
political stance to stand behind but good people, and bad, are
everywhere... Night Watch is devoid of easy answers. What is law? Who
should enforce it? Who should dictate it? There is nothing definitive
through the book because even Vimes, as an archetypal cop that plays by
his own rules, is not someone who really should be the exemplar of the
law. What I get from reading Pratchett is that I am not sure that he
necessarily knew the answer but it was the writing that helped him
explore the issue and get closer to some sort of resolution..."

pratchettjob.wordpress.com/2015/05/15/revolution-night-watch/

The Wee Free Men:

"Many of the early Discworld novels looked at death and our passage into
what lies next. It still ranks among his best writing, with brilliant
scenes in Maskerade between Death and Granny Weatherwax, and in Mort.
Yet he never quite handled the aftermath of death. Soul Music purported
to be about grief but got mislaid in a maze of whimsy and genuinely
dreadful puns. In The Wee Free Men, the most important character of the
book is not actually in it. And that's Granny Aching, Tiffany's
grandmother and legend of the Chalk. She died two years before the
events of the book and her absence still haunts Tiffany, who discovered
her dead body. Granny Aching ruled the Chalk, with shepherds seeking the
respect of someone who was the region's greatest shepherdess. She fits
into the bracket of Pratchett characters who have a quiet pride about
what they can do. But like Weatherwax, Granny Aching appeared to be a
closed character, embracing silence and the peace of the Chalk. Tiffany,
in her youthful immaturity, mistakes that for her grandmother dismissing
her... The heart of the book is her dealing with her grief, and growing
up. Because while Tiffany is the heroine, she is rather full of herself.
The narrator pokes fun at her self-conscious verbosity and how she's a
bit too proud of using the word 'gibbous' to describe a moon. It's
possible that this tells you more about Tiffany than she would want you
to know. The book takes its foundations in old folktales, of children
wishing their siblings went away and their parents loved only them. The
Queen, who gives people want they want by keeping them forever young, is
someone who is a dark mirror of Tiffany, a regent who never wants to
grow up... Tiffany's acceptance of who she should be, the big sister,
the mature person, at the end of the book gives it a neat morality play.
'Yes! I'm me! I'm careful and logical and I look up things I don't
understand! When I hear people use the wrong words I get edgy. I am good
with cheese. I read books fast! I think! And I always have a piece of
string. That's the kind of person I am!' I LOVE the line 'I am good with
cheese'. It is just quite quite brilliant..."

pratchettjob.wordpress.com/2015/05/22/kicker-of-elves-the-wee-free-men/

Witches Abroad:

"Lilith held up a mirror to Life, and chopped all the bits off Life that
didn't fit. Given their frequent use in fairytales, it is not much of a
surprise that mirrors feature heavily throughout the novel with Lilith a
dark reflection of Esme. Except things aren't as simple as that. This is
the second novel to feature the coven and it is increasingly apparent
that Granny is not a terribly nice person. She could conceivably be the
wicked witch of the novel and that's why she is such a great character.
Granny is arrogant, blunt and insensitive. As Nanny herself says: You'd
have to go a long day's journey to find someone basically nastier than
Esme...and this is me saying it. She knows exactly what she is. She was
born to be good and doesn't like it. She deliberately tries to wreck a
happy ending, where the dowdy maid marries the prince (or in this case,
a baron, who used to be a frog. Because fairy tales) and lives happily
ever after. When she confronts Lilith at the end, she is furious that
she had to be the good sister. But, as has been the case in the
Discworld from the beginning, things aren't as simple as that. Lilith
shows how Granny's powers could be used for ill... Not only are we shown
that Happily Ever After is a bad thing, how the hero could be (and
wishes she was) The Wicked Witch, there is also the figure of Mrs Gogol,
a fascinating supporting character. She is a voodoo practitioner,
accompanied by her zombie assistant Baron Saturday (a brilliant nod to
voodoo culture), and highly ambiguous. Like Granny, she could easily
have been the villain of the piece. Saturday is similarly interesting,
when it is revealed he is the zombified former ruler of Genua and Ella's
dad. He hadn't been a kind ruler. But he'd fitted. And when he'd been
arbitrary or arrogant or just plain wrong, he'd never suggested that
this was justified by anything other than the fact that he was bigger
and stronger and occasionally nastier than other people... Darkness
aside, this is a very funny novel. Nanny's cat Greebo becoming briefly
human and embarking on the same violent, sadistic perverted trail of
destruction he loved when he was a feline is a joy to behold. Magrat as
the belle of the ball as possessed with the confident/arrogant spirit of
Granny is wonderful. The junior witch, all dreams and naivety, could be
seen as a mere comic foil against which Granny and Nanny's more
unsavoury characteristics spark off. I think this is unfair and
Pratchett continues to lay down some character groundwork with her that
really pays off in Lords and Ladies..."

pratchettjob.wordpress.com/2015/01/09/holiday-surprise-witches-abroad/

Soul Music:

"Soul Music is not a good book. It's mediocre and really disappointing,
doubly so as I really enjoyed this when I was younger. While he does try
to do something different and move on from the themes of the first chunk
of Discworld novels, its execution is lacklustre. Thus far, Pratchett
has been excellent in writing about death – I've written before about
the excellent scene in Mort where Death's temporary apprentice shepherds
a woman into the afterlife but any scene with Death actually doing his
job is full of warmth and humanity. That's one but there are countless –
a wonderful scene between Granny and Death is a few books down the line
in Maskerade. Soul Music purports to deal with the other side of death,
which hasn't been explored to date. That of grief and those you leave
behind when you die. It's infuriating because you feel this is something
Pratchett should be able to handle easily and leave you sobbing by the
novel's end... Here's why it doesn't work. Surrounding this theme of
grief is the wider plot. Soul Music tries to do for rock and roll what
Moving Pictures did for film. Armed with a mystical guitar, Imp Y Celyn
brings rock and roll to Ankh-Morpork. He should have died shortly after
arriving but Death has gone awol again following the death of his
adopted daughter Isabel and son-in-law Mort. Stepping into his robes is
Susan, his precocious granddaughter. She turns up to watch Imp (now
rechristened as Buddy) die tragically during his first gig. This doesn't
happen. The music saves him. Cue the inevitable fallout of what happens
when grand schemes are interfered with. The weakest thing about Moving
Pictures was its flimsy to nonexistent satire of the film industry. It
made up for this with a plot charged with unstoppable momentum, an
excellent sub-plot about social responsibility and some excellent jokes
and puns. Soul Music fails on all three counts..."

pratchettjob.wordpress.com/2015/02/06/strength-of-strings-soul-music/

The Last Hero:

"The book is *gorgeous*. The illustrations of Paul Kidby, who took over
as the Discworld's cover designer after the death of Josh Kirby in 2001,
are exquisite and include detailed blueprints of the works of Of Quirm.
Taking a look at a web reproduction of one of the pages – an excellent
astronautical representation of the three crew members of the mission –
really doesn't do it justice. If you don't own this and are reading this
write-up, buy the book. You won't regret it. This very much feels like
an early 1990s Discworld novel, with the threats of world-ending
calamity and gods toying with the fates of men and women (and dwarves,
trolls, vampire, werewolves and any other species I have left out.
Dragons! Bugger). But Pratchett has come off the back of my favourite
novel of his and is just staggering in his ambition and range of writing
at the moment... The illustrated format means that Leonard's creativity
is translated in a way the reader hasn't seen before, with pages of his
designs filling the book. I feel The Last Hero belongs to him, the
purest creative force the Discworld has ever seen, forever sketching
perfect circles or new inventions. Pratchett hearkens back to Moving
Pictures in his belief that creativity, imagination and genius are
great, but they are for naught without life experience. Leonard has
spent years locked away by The Patrician of Ankh-Morpork, where he
invents in benign captivity. What The Last Hero does is take him to the
end of the world and beyond. The scene where our adventurers land on the
moon and watch the colossal elephants bear the weight of the Disc on
their backs is wonderful. By failing to explain what they are seeing,
Pratchett conveys the sheer wonder of their shared experience. Besides,
there was just...too much. Too much of everything. He wasn't used to
seeing this much universe in one go. The blue disc of the world,
unrolling slowly as the moon rose, looked outnumbered. In fact,
Leonard's close encounter with the Discworld leads to his greatest ever
work. At the end of the book, the gods punish Leonard by demanding he
paint the ceiling of the Temple of the Small Gods, with nods to
Michelangelo and the Sistine Chapel. What he achieves because he
experienced life was his greatest achievement and one that will live on
for centuries...

pratchettjob.wordpress.com/2015/05/01/hero-worship-the-last-hero/

Reaper Man:

"What is interesting about Reaper Man is that he goes back to a book
that was actually pretty decent in the first place and gives us
something deeper and more satisfying, even if you have read its original
source of inspiration. That book is Mort. What I loved about that book
was a newly slack Death propping up a bar in Ankh-Morpork, drunkenly
watching the sun rise and packing in the whole 'gatekeeper to the
netherworld' thing to become a brutally effective chef. But it was
relegated into the background in favour of the much less satisfying main
plot. Not so here. Death again leaves his job, this time because he has
been made redundant. His embracing of his own freshly imposed mortality
is the main engine of the plot. But thankfully, the secondary plot is
just as good. After introducing the first *true* magicians of the
Discworld in Moving Pictures, they are brought back here and are just as
much of a hoot. Moreso here than in Reaper Man's predecessor, the
wizards fascinate me as a group of characters. Given how they exist as
one chaotic group comprising a mix of contradictory argumentative parts,
they remind me of one character, trying to deal with a wide ranging of
different emotions – from bluntness or pragmatism (the Archchancellor)
to pedantry and a penchant for overthinking (the glorious Senior
Wrangler). It's a neat thematic sequel to Moving Pictures because it
again explores the importance of knowledge and empathy and how realising
it's using both together that are essential... Windle Poons realises he
has never made the most of life. His one hundred and thirty years of
studying the arcane are for naught when he has never experienced the
dubious pleasures of Ankh-Morpork or spoken to people who don't wear any
robes outside of dressing gowns. Death is another character full of
knowledge, but doesn't really know how to feel. Pratchett has written
previously about the power and danger of books but he goes one further
here. Knowledge is fine, but empathy is as important in order to live a
full life... This is like Guards! Guards! for me. It's flawed but hits
with such a satisfying power that you can sweep the lazy threat and meh
third act to one side..."

pratchettjob.wordpress.com/2015/01/02/death-and-all-the-rest-reaper-man/

TAMAHER:

"Discussions about this book being his first young adult Discworld novel
are moot. His popularity has shown he has had legions of teen fans and
he had written several YA titles before embarking on this series. What
is important is this was the first Discworld book explicitly marketed
for the young adult market. The reason this is so interesting to me is
because the content of Amazing Maurice is so bloody dark. Let's do a
quick list of what happens in the novel. There is cannibalism, children
getting assaulted, poisoning, mind control, battles against the darkness
that resides in all of us. This is coupled with debates about what makes
us us and how to negotiate diplomatic solutions between very very
different people (and rats. And cats). This is children's fiction as it
should be. I've written before of my love of Roald Dahl, no stranger to
exposing children to twisted tales. You don't need me to tell you
darkness has long been a mainstay in children's fiction from the
Brothers Grimm onwards. Amazing Maurice is considerably darker than
other Discworld novels but is written with a care and intelligence that
places it alongside some of his best... In another book, the thoughtful
Dangerous Beans would eventually become the leader of the rat pack. But
the real world in Uberwald is nasty and one where the much more
pragmatic for which Darktan is appropriate... This book celebrates clear
thinking and knowing your weaknesses. It's little wonder Darktan is a
expert trap disarmer. The traps throughout the book represent more than
just a piece of cheese on a string. Traps result in you reverting to
your base nature. Humans resort to violence or cowardice, cats to
hunting rats... Even the happy ending is barbed. The residents of Bad
Blintz welcome their new rodent neighbours, reinventing the village as
one of Uberwald's greatest tourist attractions, but it makes no
difference whatsoever. The village is a wonderful demonstration of
tolerance, showing visitors how we can all live together, but..."

http://bit.ly/1IV3sTn

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

10) MORE IMAGES OF THE MONTH

The face of Paul Kidby's Discworld baron, and its original model:
http://bit.ly/1G7v478

...and Kidby's preliminary drawing of Cohen for The Last Hero:
http://bit.ly/1PuC4kr

Sean Phillips' drawing of Neil Gaiman carrying Aziraphale's flaming
sword and Agnes Nutter's Book of Prophecy, as featured on the Tee Fury
Alzheimer's fundraising Good Omens t-shirt (see item __):
http://bit.ly/1PBp90h

Jani Kuha's (literal) masterpiece – a stunning depiction of the
Discworld, complete with elephants and Star Turtle, that won him his
degree as a ceramic sculptor:
http://bit.ly/1c1BGYh

Discworld stairs!
http://bit.ly/1d04mCr

Fantastic drawing titled "13 Witches", by Andrew Salt. Petulia's pig is
your Editor's favourite:
http://bit.ly/1L8xh2q

Oliver Sacks and baby orangutan, early May 2015:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CE0Ak1AVIAAivhO.jpg

This one needs no explanation:
http://bit.ly/1Fco6Nr

The official Wincanton twin towns sign!
http://bit.ly/1HhY65F

Lovely photo of Sandra, the orangutan who's been declared a person:
http://ind.pn/1Hit7B4

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

11) CLOSE

...and that's it for this Glorious 25th issue. I think. I hope. I truly
did think it was going to get easier, but the sheer volume of
Pratchett-and-Discworld-related news keeps growing and growing. And this
is a *good* thing, because it means that the ripples are not only not
likely to fade, but also are ever more likely to become a rushing tide
that etches Terry Pratchett's name and works into the shores of the
public's consciousness for years beyond counting. However, it also means
I'm having to devote twice as much of the time I don't have in the first
place to bringing you the best Wossname issues I can put together. So I
think I might have to have a bit of a break, and go back to sending out
only one issue per month as used to be the norm. However, time-dependent
updates, such as Discworld plays being performed between regular issues,
and also assorted photos, posters and illustrations, will continue to go
up on the blog/mirror site at Dreamwidth. If you haven't had a chance to
go look, do go look!

Don't forget to raise your glasses on the Glorious 25th. See you next month!

– Annie Mac

The mirror version of this issue can be viewed at
http://wossname.dreamwidth.org/14175.html

The End. If you have any questions or requests, write: wossname-owner
(at) pearwood (dot) info